Macross Delta Zettai Live!!!!!! - Available on Blu-ray Sept 28, 2022

Marzan

2 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Off the rails..

Gettin' back on 'em.  

Looking into availability of the movie guide booklets and other promotional materials for those of us outside Japan is nice and relevant, yes? 😉 

Found what looks like a couple on Yahoo Japan Auctions so far.

4 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Gettin' back on 'em.  

Looking into availability of the movie guide booklets and other promotional materials for those of us outside Japan is nice and relevant, yes? 😉 

Found what looks like a couple on Yahoo Japan Auctions so far.

I might be dreading more info. Not that I personally mind spoilers , mind you, but this story is sounding more and more whacked out. 

7 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Off the rails..

I've been described as "off the rails" for years. :D

At any rate, not sure I like where Delta is going, storywise. The new valk seems like a step back (albeit with neon), and the whole Lady M thing is a major headache.

I just watched the movie today and honestly it wasn't bad but for some reason I'm left feeling somewhat....weird.

Every action scene was done super duper quickly to the point that it's very hard to tell what's really happening. The action was still a step up from the TV and 1st movie though, and the Immelmann dance is used a lot more and effectively as well. 

The songs for the Frontier one was awesome and from the Delta side i actually liked Yami_Q Ray's songs more.

Now is the “X” designation a placeholder for like Hayate will fly a VF-31AJ Kairos Plus? And “S”, “E”, “C”, etc.

isn’t this Hamval the antagonist from Macross 30 video game? Or am I confused?

Twich

3 minutes ago, Bolt said:

I might be dreading more info. Not that I personally mind spoilers , mind you, but this story is sounding more and more whacked out. 

Yeah, I know that feeling.  Macross's writing is usually really solid, character-driven stuff.  Delta kinda bucked that trend and left me feeling like it was trying to go style over substance with a cast too big to properly develop 90% of them and an ending nicked wholesale from Frontier.

My expectations were already low, and the spoilers really are not doing anything to help that.

2 minutes ago, ledakan43 said:

Every action scene was done super duper quickly to the point that it's very hard to tell what's really happening.

This right here is what I was afraid of most, though... that the story would end up skewed really heavily towards the concerts again and kind of leave the mecha and characters out in the cold.  Walkure had some great songs, but without the strong character development and the mecha action reduced to an afterthought it didn't really pull me in the way that the franchise usually does.

After Frontier rekindled my love of Macross, it's so weird to have a new movie come out and... just... not really care much because I'm not invested in the fates of the characters.  (Well, except Freyja... she's actually pretty great.)

2 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

The new valk seems like a step back (albeit with neon),

On this, I disagree.  To me, the Sv-303 is basically the one point of mechanical interest here.  It looks for all the world like an unmanned Valkyrie and it's clearly a more advanced and powerful version of what the SV Works were trying to do with the Draken III.  I suppose I'm more curious about what the design's details will imply about the future of Valkyries than I am about seeing them in the film itself.

1 minute ago, Seto Kaiba said:

On this, I disagree.  To me, the Sv-303 is basically the one point of mechanical interest here.  It looks for all the world like an unmanned Valkyrie and it's clearly a more advanced and powerful version of what the SV Works were trying to do with the Draken III.  I suppose I'm more curious about what the design's details will imply about the future of Valkyries than I am about seeing them in the film itself.

Noted; it just looks like a neo-glaug to me though.

As for the future of Valkyries: do you think they're going again for what Project Supernova almost did with the Ghost? I know they don't want AI's, but when elements like General Galaxy and Lady M are involved, it seems rules are more akin to suggestions to them...

Spoiler

Honestly I don't think the mechs are left out at all in this movie. Hayate gets a lot of good action and Max makes you wonder why all the others were ever needed. All 3 Valkyrie, especially Gerwalk were used back and forth.

Character development wise, some truly showed growth from the TV series/1st movie, others were just thrown away or like Chuck, relegated as someone to be shot down....

I'd like to post spoilers/answer questions as much as i can, unfortunately as a new user i don't really know how to post spoilers.

If anyone can teach me that'd be great.

18 minutes ago, ledakan43 said:

I'd like to post spoilers/answer questions as much as i can, unfortunately as a new user i don't really know how to post spoilers.

If anyone can teach me that'd be great.

Quick and dirty is 

Spoiler

There is a eye icon on the far left of the reply box, just highlight the part you want to hide, click that and your done.

20 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

As for the future of Valkyries: do you think they're going again for what Project Supernova almost did with the Ghost? I know they don't want AI's, but when elements like General Galaxy and Lady M are involved, it seems rules are more akin to suggestions to them...

Both Shoji Kawamori and Masahiro Chiba do like to try to parallel real world developments and the state of jet fighter technology in Macross where possible.

The phrase "Last Manned Fighter" has cropped up in discussion of 5th Generation VFs the way it crops up in discussion of 5th Generation fighter jets.  That's one reason that I'm curious to see what the deal is with the Sv-303.  If it just looks like an unmanned fighter, or it actually is one... and whether it's truly autonomous or simply remotely operated like the Galaxy fleet occasionally did on the VF-27.

I could see someone going all-in on something like the Butterfly Master setup from Ace Combat, remotely operating multiple drones from a secure location.

17 minutes ago, ledakan43 said:

Max makes you wonder why all the others were ever needed.

That's the other thing I was worried about WRT the mecha action sequences in the 2nd movie.

Max is THE ace.  He's going to make everyone look inadequate by comparison except Milia.  He's like the YF-29 itself... too awesome to actually use, so if you intend to use him you had better be on the wrong side of the Godzilla Threshold or you'll be left wondering why they call anyone else.

3 minutes ago, Bolt said:

They just had to double down on the megaroad being wrapped up in this mess.. 😾

That will, hands down, be the film's biggest mistake.

Both Shoji Kawamori and Masahiro Chiba do like to try to parallel real world developments and the state of jet fighter technology in Macross where possible.

The phrase "Last Manned Fighter" has cropped up in discussion of 5th Generation VFs the way it crops up in discussion of 5th Generation fighter jets.  That's one reason that I'm curious to see what the deal is with the Sv-303.  If it just looks like an unmanned fighter, or it actually is one... and whether it's truly autonomous or simply remotely operated like the Galaxy fleet occasionally did on the VF-27.

I could see someone going all-in on something like the Butterfly Master setup from Ace Combat, remotely operating multiple drones from a secure location.

Gotcha. I had considered that they may decide on a "remote drone" type of tech; one that would allow them to avoid losing skilled pilots like Roy Fokker in live combat. As it stands, it would seem organics are not going to be capable of withstanding the increasing demands of variable fighters (hence the EX-gear, for one).

That's the other thing I was worried about WRT the mecha action sequences in the 2nd movie.

Max is THE ace.  He's going to make everyone look inadequate by comparison except Milia.  He's like the YF-29 itself... too awesome to actually use, so if you intend to use him you had better be on the wrong side of the Godzilla Threshold or you'll be left wondering why they call anyone else.

I can imagine Max and Millia in a case with a hammer on a chain:

"IN CASE OF APOCALYPSE, BREAK GLASS AND STAND BACK"

That will, hands down, be the film's biggest mistake.

Agreed; they should have just left the Megaroad alone. Admittedly, I had wanted to see what happened to Hikaru, Misa and the rest of them; now, I regret that decision bitterly...

27 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

Agreed; they should have just left the Megaroad alone. Admittedly, I had wanted to see what happened to Hikaru, Misa and the rest of them; now, I regret that decision bitterly...

This is more from the current culture of having to know every detail and not having mysteries to solve at the end of the day.  Also no conclusion for the greater mysteries will ever appease a fan-base unless it is exactly what they envisioned. 

Been seeing this in the 40K recently when one of the BL authors finally struck down a theory on the Lost Legions. Fan-base got pissed.

34 minutes ago, Focslain said:

This is more from the current culture of having to know every detail and not having mysteries to solve at the end of the day.  Also no conclusion for the greater mysteries will ever appease a fan-base unless it is exactly what they envisioned. 

Been seeing this in the 40K recently when one of the BL authors finally struck down a theory on the Lost Legions. Fan-base got pissed.

Yeah... and I never used to be like that. Guess "current culture" crept into me more than I care to admit.

I think from now on, the "lost" can stay on their "extended journeys" as far as it goes with me. Lesson learned.

37 minutes ago, Focslain said:

When a long-running work's author(s) decide to reveal the truth of one of their story's great mysteries, it's go big or go home.  They either have to dazzle the audience with a brilliant explanation or leave them so baffled by bullsh*t that nobody has the wherewithal to raise a grievance.  It's not a time for half-measures, and half-measures are what we got.

If the spoilers are legit, Delta's writers really just massively dropped the ball in a way that undermines earlier, and far better-written, stories without making any meaningful change to justify it.  It's like discovering that one character in a story knew every plot-relevant detail in advance but never told anyone because "you didn't ask".

3 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Nice.  Where'd you score it?  eBay? YJA Auctions?  I doubt they've hit Mandarake yet.

If you guys are talking about the movie pamphlet, I’m flipping through mine now and there isn’t a whole lot about the Kairos Plus or SV-303, just photos and a short description. If you’re looking for anything more detailed, the pamphlet might not be your best bet.

I could take photos and upload the relevant sections if your interested? I’m not sure what this forum’s policy is on that. Let me know!

Edited by Yugure0

I love Macross and I'm happy for more Deculture (always!) But i have to agree with you @Seto Kaiba . And , i have a feeling, based on what's been said by and about the  floating head, that this direction was probably not his first or second choice..

Edited by Bolt

Since this movie has now premiered and since this movie will not be available on home video for a while, this thread is on a 6-month spoiler lockdown. Any spoilers posted without tags will be deleted without warning.

Also, if you can't read or understand Japanese, please don't try to interpret anything.

• azrael pinned this topic
Spoiler

Got this to finally work now so let me try and answer some questions based on what i understood:

- The main enemy is Heimdall(spelling?), with tech from Epsilon, who is trying to overthrow Lady M since they believe Lady M has been the person controlling the whole galaxy from the background.
- The SV-303 is a Ghost that is controlled by the Fold Wave of the Siren Delta System.  Instead of micro missiles, the SV-303 is able to send out micro Ghosts. Since Heimdall is sponsored by Epsilon, it is very safe to assume it is Epsilon tech(just like SV-262).
- The Siren Delta system itself is a next gen version of Sharon Apple combined with the DNA of the Star Singer(which was stolen by the rogue NUNS person, who defected to Epsilon) in baby form. After experiencing Walkure's concert first hand, it created Yami Q Ray as a counter.
- The mecha looking exoskeleton thingy was disguised as a NUNS engineer, most probably Epsilon tech, that Heimdall sent to intrude in Macross Gigasion. It basically broke Arad and left him out of duty for the rest of the movie.
- The orange gray Ghost we see in one of the trailers are called Hyper Ghost, and is part of Macross Gigasion's arsenal. In the final battle after Hayate purged his armor(leaving only the back cannon), it gattai-ed with the 31AX ala Lil'Drakkens to provide extra firepower.

I understand Japanese but not all their Fold tech mumbo jumbo so take this with some grain of salt
- From what I understood Lady M created and has been communicating with Xaos with some Fold wave communication that is encoded. This communication was intercepted by Heimdall and that's why they are able to find the location of the Megaroad-1 and Macross Gigasion.
- Basically using Siren Delta System combined with the power of the Protoculture ruins of the Brisingr cluster, Heimdall planned to Fold the Megaroad-1 right in front of it and blast it away with the Battle Astrea's cannons.

29 minutes ago, ledakan43 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Got this to finally work now so let me try and answer some questions based on what i understood:

- The main enemy is Heimdall(spelling?), with tech from Epsilon, who is trying to overthrow Lady M since they believe Lady M has been the person controlling the whole galaxy from the background.
- The SV-303 is a Ghost that is controlled by the Fold Wave of the Siren Delta System.  Instead of micro missiles, the SV-303 is able to send out micro Ghosts. Since Heimdall is sponsored by Epsilon, it is very safe to assume it is Epsilon tech(just like SV-262).
- The Siren Delta system itself is a next gen version of Sharon Apple combined with the DNA of the Star Singer(which was stolen by the rogue NUNS person, who defected to Epsilon) in baby form. After experiencing Walkure's concert first hand, it created Yami Q Ray as a counter.
- The mecha looking exoskeleton thingy was disguised as a NUNS engineer, most probably Epsilon tech, that Heimdall sent to intrude in Macross Gigasion. It basically broke Arad and left him out of duty for the rest of the movie.
- The orange gray Ghost we see in one of the trailers are called Hyper Ghost, and is part of Macross Gigasion's arsenal. In the final battle after Hayate purged his armor(leaving only the back cannon), it gattai-ed with the 31AX ala Lil'Drakkens to provide extra firepower.

I understand Japanese but not all their Fold tech mumbo jumbo so take this with some grain of salt
- From what I understood Lady M created and has been communicating with Xaos with some Fold wave communication that is encoded. This communication was intercepted by Heimdall and that's why they are able to find the location of the Megaroad-1 and Macross Gigasion.
- Basically using Siren Delta System combined with the power of the Protoculture ruins of the Brisingr cluster, Heimdall planned to Fold the Megaroad-1 right in front of it and blast it away with the Battle Astrea's cannons.

Wow, thanks for the info, now i can rest peacefully 

32 minutes ago, ledakan43 said:
  Hide contents

Wasn't Gigasion one of the Xaos ships lost in the first movie?

6 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Hide contents

That said: Kaifun kinda looks like a lady, and it wouldn't be past him.... 

😛

So you're saying 

Spoiler

Lady M is actually Kaifun with an imposter Megaroad fleet?

I'm fine with this theory.

I have few questions

Spoiler

Is someone going to die (except Freyja)

Are the children at the end of the movie Freya's children and do they have anything to do with her DNA? Hayate is a father to them? What they look like, unfortunately, their graphics are nowhere to be found, and I am very curious.

Could Astrea be Battle Galaxy?

1 hour ago, ledakan43 said:
  Hide contents

Ok, well I'm in this deep so!

Spoiler

- What's the resolution? Bad guy corp captured or killed?

- Does the sexy new Yami-Q-Ray A.I. survive?

- Does anyone think to steal/save the badguy tech to retrieve the Megaroad?

- Just how much screen time does Max have?

As I see it, regardless of how one sees the Lady M faction (I really need to re-watch Delta), the biggest question introduced is:

Spoiler

Why would the Megaroad have any influence over anything while trapped in the deepest darkest fold fault? If they can't get out, and assuredly no one else can get in, that puts the ship (is it trapped with its escort fleet too?) in a serious limited resource situation. Even farming on the ship(s), it's still an issue of entropy. But, how the hell would they fund anything in the galaxy proper? Are they somehow trading on the intergalactic stock market with the crews pensions & Minmay royalties? Why would anyone on the outside trust that they are who they say they are, and assumedly eventually go on to fund Xaos on credit?

No my friends, I do not buy this, clearly:

Spoiler

The Megaroad is lost, and the galaxy is being exploited by Protoculture remnants impersonating the Megaroad fleet (I'm only 30% serious here...).

Edited by Keith