Macross Delta Zettai Live!!!!!! - Available on Blu-ray Sept 28, 2022

Marzan

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, RedWolf said:

I am amused that the Siren system just gawk at what Max just did in the YF-29 analyzing it. Sydney Hunt wondering what it is now learning. Copying and countering Walkure is one thing but Max is quite another. I think Max got himself a fan. 

It's in good company.  Gawking uselessly when Max takes to the field is about all Delta Flight contributes to the proceedings for most of the movie too.

It's gotta suck to get upstaged in your own movie by a 75 year old retiree who hasn't been an active duty pilot since your parents were in diapers.  Especally when he rubs it in by being better at your own signature moves than you are and humiliating you and your squadmates in a four-on-one fight. :rofl: 

One way to think about this movie is how desperate the producers were with trying to make Delta happen, you can practically hear them say: "tasukete, Max taicho"

to be fair to Delta squad, it wasn't a four on one fight.  Chuck was bushwhacked while he was gawking, Mirage gave up the moment she figured out she couldn't keep up with the boys.  (and just sat there waiting to be shot) As for Bogue... well, Bogue is Bogue, you can slap the title Crimson Knight onto him, and he is still Bogue.  As for Hayate... what can you say, he is a not as talented Camille in need of a slap down.

Edited by kalvasflam

4 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

It's in good company.  Gawking uselessly when Max takes to the field is about all Delta Flight contributes to the proceedings for most of the movie too.

It's gotta suck to get upstaged in your own movie by a 75 year old retiree who hasn't been an active duty pilot since your parents were in diapers.  Especally when he rubs it in by being better at your own signature moves than you are and humiliating you and your squadmates in a four-on-one fight. :rofl: 

ROFL!

5 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

One way to think about this movie is how desperate the producers were with trying to make Delta happen, you can practically hear them say: "tasukete, Max taicho"

After a disappointing TV anime and first movie, Absolute Live!!!!!! definitely feels like an attempt to win back the fans who are there for more than just Walkure.

The movie was supposed to have Ernest Johnson and the Macross Elysion, but after Unshou Ishizuka passed away they had to come up with a replacement and Max was who the team ultimately settled on because he had a pre-existing relationship with another character they could use as a story hook to introduce him.  Given the way Show Hayami's Max runs away with the movie while they're busy telegraphing...

Spoiler

Freyja's death

... it feels like promoting Arad to captaincy of the Macross Elysion would've been a less problematic idea.  

5 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

to be fair to Delta squad, it wasn't a four on one fight.  Chuck was bushwhacked while he was gawking, Mirage gave up the moment she figured out she couldn't keep up with the boys.  (and just sat there waiting to be shot) As for Bogue... well, Bogue is Bogue, you can slap the title Crimson Knight onto him, and he is still Bogue.  As for Hayate... what can you say, he is a not as talented Camille in need of a slap down.

He escalated a training exercise already in progress... that he cut the number down below four so quickly is more a testament to how lacking in professionalism they are compared to a real ace pilot.  Watching Max dunk on Chuck, Mirage, Bogue, and Hayate like that and then explain to them how much they suck was intensely satisfying for those fans critical of the Macross Delta series, but not a great moment for the story as a whole when the protagonists get publicly humiliated as they're preparing to save the day.

If the writers actually had any guts, they'd have promoted Delta by having Max killed.  Then having the cast, presumably Mirage, do something audacious and overcome whatever it is that killed Max.  Although, given that they all suck as pilots, probably with a successful assassination attempt in the way to go, or may be he gets killed a la Fokker, but protecting Mirage or some such thing.  Give it emotional impact. 

But, let's face it, if they had the balls to whack Max, Delta wouldn't have been so bad in the first place.  The only thing that would horrify fans more is if Epsilon managed to kill Megaroad-1 and presumably the original triangle.  May be an on screen death... or some such thing, but the story writers would have been too afraid of the backlash from such an act.

1 hour ago, kalvasflam said:

If the writers actually had any guts, [...]

Oh, they had guts... the problem is they completely ruined the impact of the film's one big character moment by foreshadowing it SO heavily and SO often that throughout the film's runtime that when the blow finally landed it had no impact whatsoever.

Spoiler

If you're going to kill off the most likeable and important character on the cast in the film's ending, don't ****ing telegraph it.  Not even once, and especially not in almost every single conversation the character has throughout a two hour runtime! 

With so many death flags being raised every goddamn time Hayate and Freyja talk or people talk about them, the only way to save the ending would have been to reveal it was all trolling like Ozma's pineapple moment in Frontier and have her live.

3 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Oh, they had guts... the problem is they completely ruined the impact of the film's one big character moment by foreshadowing it SO heavily and SO often that throughout the film's runtime that when the blow finally landed it had no impact whatsoever.

Hide contents

If you're going to kill off the most likeable and important character on the cast in the film's ending, don't ****ing telegraph it.  Not even once, and especially not in almost every single conversation the character has throughout a two hour runtime! 

With so many death flags being raised every goddamn time Hayate and Freyja talk or people talk about them, the only way to save the ending would have been to reveal it was all trolling like Ozma's pineapple moment in Frontier and have her live.

I mean, in fairness, that particular twist has been telegraphed so heavily for so long that the only thing actually surprising about it is that it didn't happen in the final episode of the TV series.

On 11/25/2022 at 6:02 AM, JB0 said:

I mean, in fairness, that particular twist has been telegraphed so heavily for so long that the only thing actually surprising about it is that it didn't happen in the final episode of the TV series.

And watch for them to retcon it in the next series/movie/commercial/ music video/ webcomic

7 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

And watch for them to retcon it in the next series/movie/commercial/ music video/ webcomic

Let's be honest, few if any of us would hold it against them if they decided to just never acknowlege this movie's events ever again.

Not only was the plot a trainwreck, but they killed the most likeable character in the entire cast...

Heimdall opening Fold Gates over Earth, Eden, and Vajra I get. These are strategic planets as two are core territories and the last one is a source of Fold Quartz. 

But why Libera aka the 4th planet in the Varauta system targeted? Yes the place has Protoculture ruins but is there more to it? Like exploitable tech for making Evil Series or Fold Quartz? 

31 minutes ago, RedWolf said:

Heimdall opening Fold Gates over Earth, Eden, and Vajra I get. These are strategic planets as two are core territories and the last one is a source of Fold Quartz. 

But why Libera aka the 4th planet in the Varauta system targeted? Yes the place has Protoculture ruins but is there more to it? Like exploitable tech for making Evil Series or Fold Quartz? 

I would suspect that if there's still an entropy field there to deter explorers/ settlers, then there might possibly be a device creating that entropy that is using super dimension energy and a large amount of pure fold-quartz.

• 4 weeks later...
Spoiler

I'm not even going to comment on the story..lol..is a typical Macross story. I do like  Macross Delta more than Frontier. I was wondering where their ship was and the captain didn't rescue them I didn't don't know the voice actor had passed away. But I wonder could have recast him. No disrespect of course. 

But was so great....of course, Maximilian Jenius enough said. Mirage knew exactly who was driving the Macross Gigasion. Yeah, it was funny when he kick their asses in a duel. Lol. Plus still, talk smack afterward. But at his age, all that is G-force had caused some type of chest pain. 

But there is Mirage mini theater talking to Max. I have seen it but I read it. Max is saying the same thing to her "you can't become an Ace Pilot, etc, because of your status with romantic relationships" but she came back at him about him being all high and mighting and you still argue with Millia at the age of 70s. Lol. Hopefully, someone put it online so I can see it. Lol 😆 

What I like about it is Mirage finally admits she was in love with Hiyake but not in a Romantic way but in an admirable way. I just never saw these 3 characters in a love triangle. It was Freyja and Hayate. Mirage was the 3rd wheel. 

Arad becoming a Captain and showing Max the Genuis who I think is sometimes blind side by his ego. Showing him there's another side of person Genuis or Talent and Max finally saw that in Arad and Mirage. I just wish Mirage had more screen time ...which she never does since they brought her Grandfather back. 

I think is the first Macross series the songs suck. Unforgettable songs here.

1 more thing...okay... who was making the baby and why... that flew over my head. Can anyone explain that? 

But yeah Freyja dying but it wasn't surprising. 
Lady M.....I like the idea that we didn't know what happen to Megaroad and left it to that...but now... I don't know....folding jamming, etc... they are stuck somewhere I guess. 

Now in real-time

Muse Jenius and Therese Jenius would have been born this year in 2022. Scary isn't it? Lol. Time goes so by fast. 

The only thing that made this Great is Maximilian Jenius. Sure....if we want to believe Max on what he said..he was retired but then N.U.N.S. begged him to come back, nope he will never going to retire. Lol.  And where is Macross 7 now since he isn't Captain of Battle 7? I'm pretty sure Millia isn't the Mayor of City 7 either. Now we need to get a series of the rest of their daughters...I know they had some video games about them. 

Edited by TisSweet

23 minutes ago, TisSweet said:

I was wondering where their ship was and the captain didn't rescue them I didn't don't know the voice actor had passed away. But I wonder could have recast him. No disrespect of course. 

They could have.  I get the feeling they opted to not recast Ernest Johnson out of respect for Ishizuka-san's passing since he was a relatively minor character.

Whether or not a character gets recast after their voice actor either retires or passes away often depends on how important the character was in the story, and the personal inclination of the showrunner and/or production committee.  Some voice actors working on recurring roles in long-running properties will even handpick and train a successor if they're getting up in years or their health is failing, as Yasuo Yamada did when he trained Kanichi Kurita to step into his shoes as the titular thief in Lupin III.

43 minutes ago, TisSweet said:

What I like about it is Mirage finally admits she was in love with Hiyake but not in a Romantic way but in an admirable way. I just never saw these 3 characters in a love triangle. It was Freyja and Hayate. Mirage was the 3rd wheel. 

To a lot of us, it's kind of a copout for a weak love triangle in the main series.

44 minutes ago, TisSweet said:
Spoiler

Arad becoming a Captain and showing Max the Genuis who I think is sometimes blind side by his ego. Showing him there's another side of person Genuis or Talent and Max finally saw that in Arad and Mirage. I just wish Mirage had more screen time ...which she never does since they brought her Grandfather back. 

IMO, it loses a certain je ne sais quoi given that only a short while earlier he'd been energetically telling them how much they suck.

(And slightly worse, related publications tend to bear his assessment out... even the new Master File book sort of makes it clear our protagonists didn't really win this one, the film's antagonists just tripped at the finish line.)

45 minutes ago, TisSweet said:
Spoiler

1 more thing...okay... who was making the baby and why... that flew over my head. Can anyone explain that? 

Well, you see... when a mommy plot hole and a daddy plot hole love each other very much the Variable Stork comes down and drops off a bundle of "the ending is too depressing, lighten it up" from the production committee.

Spoiler

Sarcasm aside, the baby at the end is another poorly explained, poorly foreshadowed developments in the movie's plot.

The Siren Delta System was a quantum AI virtuoid that was created by the Epsilon Foundation to control Heimdall's unmanned fighters and produce the fold songs that would activate the fold quartz-based performance enhancements built into them and the Battle Astraea.  In order to produce biological fold waves, the Siren Delta System's core had a biological component: a cell culture made using reconstructed and cloned Star Singer genetic material from the relic Sydney Hunt stole from Windermere IV.  The same stuff that Lady M's people used to create Mikumo Guynemer.

By some unknown means probably related to the biological fold waves flying around, the Siren Delta System learning from and countering Walkure caused the cell culture the AI used to produce its biological fold waves to rapidly develop into a fully-formed infant over just a couple of days.  So when Hayate removed the Siren Delta System's AI core from the Battle Astraea at the end of the conflict the resulting baby was inside.  Why it's a Windermerean who looks exactly like Freyja is unclear.  It was cloned from the same DNA relics used to create Mikumo, so it should have come out looking like her rather than Freyja.

1 hour ago, TisSweet said:
Spoiler

Lady M.....I like the idea that we didn't know what happen to Megaroad and left it to that...but now... I don't know....folding jamming, etc... they are stuck somewhere I guess. 

It's a really stupid and unnecessary plot point... one that'll probably get swept under the rug in future works.

The only thing that made this Great is Maximilian Jenius. Sure....if we want to believe Max on what he said..he was retired but then N.U.N.S. begged him to come back, nope he will never going to retire. Lol.  

There's really no reason to doubt him.  The extra features suggest this is TV Max we're looking at, which means he was born in 1993 and therefore is either 74 or 75 at the time the movie is set in October 2068.  Mandatory retirement for commissioned officers is typically around 62-64 in real militaries, with flag officers sometimes being allowed deferments to at most 68.  Max was likely pushed into a mandatory retirement sometime after the events of Macross Frontier.*

The NUNS didn't beg him to come back.  He took a do-nothing "I'm bored in retirement" job with the mega-conglomerate Xaos to head up their PMC division's branch office on the remote planet Listania in the Brisingr globular cluster.  That position made him the captain of the Macross Gigasion the same way Ernest Johnson's post as head of the Ragna branch made him captain of the Macross Elysion.  

* The Macross Frontier: the Wings of Farewell novelization depicts Max as still being in command of the 37th Large-Scale Long-Distance Emigrant Fleet and its flagship Battle 7 in September 2059, at which point he would have been 64 or 65.

And where is Macross 7 now since he isn't Captain of Battle 7? I'm pretty sure Millia isn't the Mayor of City 7 either. Now we need to get a series of the rest of their daughters...I know they had some video games about them. 

Dunno.  The last time Battle 7 put in an appearance, it was in the novelization of Macross Frontier: the Wings of Farewell when it was part of the combined rescue fleet that came to assist the Frontier fleet in the final battle of the story in September 2059.

Their kids are old enough to have kids, and a few of them old enough to potentially have grandkids at the time Macross Delta: Absolute Live!!!!!! is set.

• Komilia Maria from the original Macross series is 57.  (She also had two video game appearances in the Macross II timeline: Macross 2036 and Macross: Eternal Love Song.  Her age is different in that timeline.)
  • Miracle is 51.
  • Muse and Therese are 46.  Therese is alleged to have appeared in Macross VF-X2 under the paper thin alias "Mariafokina Barnrose".
  • Emilia from the Macross 7 movie is 44.
  • Miranda is 42 (and Mirage is supposedly her daughter).
  • Mylene is 37.

6 hours ago, TisSweet said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

Much like Mikumo the baby is a clone ofnthe Star Singer .manifesting Windermerian traits. Instead of a Bio Neural Chip serving as the core of the AI like Sharon Apple the Siren System uses a organic component. 

In Macross Delta we are told Wright Immelman stole the Star Singer cells working on Lady M's orders as an undercover agent of NUNS. Here it is not exactly the whole story a diplomat Sidney Hunt stole the Star Singer samples for the Epsilon Foundation. Johann told Wright about it and he only retrieved half it. Johann let him keep it From this sample Mikumo was cloned on Lady M's orders..Which violates clone laws.

So I was just watching Macross Delta movie 2 and noticed that on the VF-31AX, specifically Bogue’s, both of the parts to the weapon container are beam weapons! I only thought the gunpod was the weapon, but the thermometer looking thing also is a beam cannon of some sort!  So it kinda fits in line with the beam cannons if the YF-29 and the SV-303! Very interesting. Making this Valkyrie even more powerful.

Twich

8 hours ago, twich said:

So I was just watching Macross Delta movie 2 and noticed that on the VF-31AX, specifically Bogue’s, both of the parts to the weapon container are beam weapons! I only thought the gunpod was the weapon, but the thermometer looking thing also is a beam cannon of some sort!  So it kinda fits in line with the beam cannons if the YF-29 and the SV-303! Very interesting. Making this Valkyrie even more powerful.

It's not just Bogue's... all of Delta Flight's VF-31AX Kairos Pluses have the same container.

Xaos seems to have decided to go all-in on firepower during the retrofit, so even Chuck's aircraft was given the same weapons-only container instead of his usual radome continer.

Considering its size, and the overall economized nature of the VF-31, it's probably just a regular particle beam gun rather than the more powerful heavy quantum beam guns that the YF-29 uses.  Probably not a particularly powerful one either, given that it's about the same size as the coaxial beam guns on the VF-31's monitor turret (head).

6 minutes ago, TisSweet said:

3 things I notice a called back to the original.

Most of the film - and, really, most of Macross Delta as a whole - is callbacks to previous Macross titles.  It's basically a madlib of plot points from previous stories.

It's almost a whole plot reference from Macross VF-X2, with the secret organization inside the New UN Forces and New UN Gov't conspiring to oust the current leadership using a secret bleeding-edge Battle-class ship and a bunch of unmanned fighters.  Heimdall's Siren Delta System and the virtual idols it produces are one massive reference to the Sharon Apple system and the events of Macross Plus, where Sharon wielded the Ghost X-9 (and in the game edition, the Neo Glaug) against the protagonists.  Max, Exsedol, and Mirage's whole thing is a protracted series of callbacks to Macross 7.  For instance, Max and Exsedol's whole situation is just their roles from Macross 7, Mirage is standing in for Mylene for Max disapproving of her choice to become a pilot, and the whole "Max leaves someone else in command of his ship so he can sortie in a blue state-of-the-art VF for the final battle" is taken direct from the last episode of Macross 7.  Freyja's whole ill girl schtick with the "I have to sing even if it kills me" thing is the exact same plot from Macross Frontier: the Wings of Farewell but handled much less well.  The VF-31AX is a low-rent YF-29 (even in-story), and the Sv-303 is more or less just the Ghost X-9 and Neo Glaug merged into one aircraft. 

Now I think about it, there's no Macross 7 movie. Every Macross series had a Clip note version movie except for Macross 7. 

I haven't seen any Macross in a few years and just saw Macross Zettai Live. I was thinking of watching all the movie versions of Macross for the 40 anniversary. Maybe 1 day I will. But I don't think I can look at 49 episodes and ova of Macross 7 again. Lol. I think I watch it 3 or 4 times the whole series through the years and the last time I watch it for the 30th anniversary so that's about 10 years ago.

They should have done a movie version... every freaking episode was about Basara singing to Sivil.  So they should do a clip note movie version of it. They could have split into 2 movies as they did with Frontier and Delta. The only reason why I watch it for that many times is for the 3 M. Max, Milla, and Mylene. And of course, the series had great music. 

Edited by TisSweet
Spelling and Grammar

55 minutes ago, TisSweet said:

Now I think about it, there's no Macross 7 movie. Every Macross series had a Clip note version movie except for Macross 7. 

I haven't seen any Macross in a few years and just saw Macross Zettai Live. I was thinking of watching all the movie versions of Macross for the 40 anniversary. Maybe 1 day I will. But I don't think I can look at 49 episodes and ova of Macross 7 again. Lol. I think I watch it 3 or 4 times the whole series through the years and the last time I watch it for the 30th anniversary so that's about 10 years ago.

They should have done a movie version... every freaking episode was about Basara singing to Sivil.  So they should do a clip note movie version of it. They could have split into 2 movies as they did with Frontier and Delta. The only reason why I watch it for that many times is for the 3 M. Max, Milla, and Mylene. And of course, the series had great music. 

M7 had The Galaxy is Calling Me and Dynamite.

And no; Basara wasn't singing to Sivil every episode; there were some where he was singing to other folks!

7 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

M7 had The Galaxy is Calling Me and Dynamite.

And no; Basara wasn't singing to Sivil every episode; there were somewhere he was singing to other folks!

The Galaxy is Calling Me and Dynamite were 2 additional stories. And not a retelling of the whole Macross 7 series like for example The Super Dimension Fortress Macross series version vs. Do You Remember Love? Movie version. 

Basara Basara Basara you're going to love him or hate him. Lol 😆.  

There is... kind of.  Macross 7: the Galaxy is Calling Me! was initially released as a short film alongside Macross Plus: Movie Edition.

Macross 7 wasn't exactly a series that would lend itself well to a compilation film format considering how much of a slow burn the first half of the story was.

While it's technically a Frontier movie, FB7 is basically a Macross 7 clip show being watched (on the beauty of VHS) by the Frontier cast. 

On 12/23/2022 at 11:08 AM, Master Dex said:

While it's technically a Frontier movie, FB7 is basically a Macross 7 clip show being watched (on the beauty of VHS) by the Frontier cast. 

Plus Gavil is still around when we thought he left this galaxy. And he can turn into a bird... 

What's funny is that Frontier doesn't know where Macross 7 is. Like there is some cover up going on. And lo and behold here Max and Exsedol still kicking ass when they should be retirees. When you think about it Macross 7 is Florida in Space! As it has a number if Space War 1 veteran retirees. Retirees that got their Valkyries and Destroids as part of their retirement package. 

12 hours ago, RedWolf said:

What's funny is that Frontier doesn't know where Macross 7 is. Like there is some cover up going on.

Emigrant fleets are, by their very nature, mobile things... it's only natural that one emigrant fleet wouldn't necessarily know the exact positions of every other emigrant fleet when they mostly only trade with the planets and fleets closest to them.

And lo and behold here Max and Exsedol still kicking ass when they should be retirees.

They are retirees... their appearance in Absolute Live!!!!!! is Max and Exsedol after they got bored in retirement and took another gig to have something to allay their boredom.

Like how a lot of retired cops and career soldiers take corporate security jobs because the working conditions are vaguely similar.  The PMCs in Macross seem to hire a lot of retired NUNS officers... occasionally even ones who received bad conduct discharges (like Ozma).  

When you think about it Macross 7 is Florida in Space! As it has a number if Space War 1 veteran retirees. Retirees that got their Valkyries and Destroids as part of their retirement package. 

... we see exactly three, all of whom are the crew of the same old Monster Destroid.  The presence of three former crewmates who decided to retire together hardly makes the fleet a "Space Florida"... no matter how much Basara's antics could fall under the umbrella of "Florida Man".  :rofl:

After the First Space War, the New UN Forces got into the practice of selling off disarmed military equipment to civilians for its secondary utility in things like construction work.  That practice caught on enough for a market for VFs as pleasure and sporting craft developed, followed by actual sports for them.

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

They are retirees... their appearance in Absolute Live!!!!!! is Max and Exsedol after they got bored in retirement and took another gig to have something to allay their boredom.

What I think is cute is how Exsedol and Max are best friends; you could almost do a buddy cop movie with those two!

Like how a lot of retired cops and career soldiers take corporate security jobs because the working conditions are vaguely similar.  The PMCs in Macross seem to hire a lot of retired NUNS officers... occasionally even ones who received bad conduct discharges (like Ozma).  

And of course, Isamu Dyson.

... we see exactly three, all of whom are the crew of the same old Monster Destroid.  The presence of three former crewmates who decided to retire together hardly makes the fleet a "Space Florida"... no matter how much Basara's antics could fall under the umbrella of "Florida Man".  :rofl:

Right?

After the First Space War, the New UN Forces got into the practice of selling off disarmed military equipment to civilians for its secondary utility in things like construction work.  That practice caught on enough for a market for VFs as pleasure and sporting craft developed, followed by actual sports for them.

Next up: WWE stops using real human wrestlers and goes to battroids! :rofl:

1 hour ago, MisaForever said:

I find it amusing that Exsedol refused to ever micronize. 

Existing material does indicate that he did, for a time, live as a miclone.  He returned to his giant size and reactivated his role-specific enhancements for fear that he would lose the information stored in his memories.

On 12/24/2022 at 6:37 PM, pengbuzz said:

Next up: WWE stops using real human wrestlers and goes to battroids! :rofl:

You joke, but Macross: the Lost Two Years mentions (and shows) that Meltrandi pro wrestling was a popular sport and the art of it shows Battroids refereeing matches.

4 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Existing material does indicate that he did, for a time, live as a miclone.  He returned to his giant size and reactivated his role-specific enhancements for fear that he would lose the information stored in his memories.

I seeeee, interesting.