Macross Delta Zettai Live!!!!!! - Available on Blu-ray Sept 28, 2022

Marzan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, whatever you do don't google the name of this movie. I'm sitting here at work staring at my bluray waiting to watch it tonight and got curious enough to look up reviews. Spoiled on the FINAL DAY! Ugh...

Edited by 100mega

As an Old Macross Fan who found the non-Walkure aspects of Delta pretty forgettable, this second movie is fantastic. the robot fights are fun and well animated, but the plot and character development really shine. plenty of fanservice for all the fellow Old Guys here that finally set Delta more firmly in the rest of the franchise both in personnel and thematically. i would have loved to see what they could have done with the events of the movie over multiple episodes instead of the last ~13 episodes of Delta TV series we got instead. i know a lot of folks here look down on anything that came out after the Reagan Administration, but man this was a pleasant surprise. 

Saw this was available for "free" streaming online....so was curious to see the SV-303 in action....I hope Bandai can release a DX of it soon...was also nice seeing all these plastic toys we collect actually doing stuff onscreen....can't say I actually cared for the movie as a whole, but at least we got some new VFs out of it...some very cool visuals, especially from the Earth and the Megaroad-01, which many said would never be brought up again after FB2012...LOL!  Bring on a DX of it Bandai...I'd insta-buy it!

I enjoyed it overall. You can see the hint of the story the writers were trying to tell under the glee & glam that is Walkure. Both movies do an excellent job of improving on Delta TV. I think they hamfisted the Megaroad-01 but could see Misa trying to keep humanity from making the same mistakes as the Protoculture.

Pluses:

• New Valks
  • Max
  • Character development

Minuses:

• Overall story.
  • Walkures Music didn't impress this time around. Forgettable is how I would describe it.
  • Spoiler

Freyja's death. It should have been more gut-wrenching. I was moved more by the Wind Priest's passing than hers.

Edited by Heron

I'm planning to watch my copy this weekend... though, to be honest, I'm actually kind of dreading it.

On the one hand, everything I've heard from my friends in Japan who saw it in theaters was broadly positive and suggested that the movie was where Macross Delta actually starts living up to the "Macross" name.  I'm heartily sick of being disappointed by the lazy work on display in Macross Delta proper and the middling-at-best first movie, so I'd like nothing better than for the second movie to blow me away and leave me feeling like the slog to get here was actually worth it.

On the other hand, I absolutely 200% dread the movie's "big reveal" because it's a painfully anticlimactic answer to the franchise's oldest unsolved mystery.

Spoiler

The Macross Delta TV series and first movie 100% made the right call by leaving Lady M shrouded in mystery and without a defined identity or origin.  

Revealing that she was connected to the long-vanished Megaroad-01 and that Megaroad-01 has been in contact with the greater galaxy for many years undermines parts of several other, much better, Macross stories that were driven by Richard Bilra's obsessive desire to find Megaroad-01 and Minmay at any cost.  The Frontier fleet's launch was part of Bilra's plan to find Minmay, and the YF-30 was developed as part of his obsession with improving fold technology to search for her.

In much the same way that Minmay's story has grown in the telling to the point that the real Minmay would probably be massively underwhelming to anyone in-universe who met her after seeing the dramas about her life, the mystery of the Megaroad-01 has grown because of the fanbase's interest in it.  No answer would be satisfying at this point and the answer we get is incredibly banal at best.  Made a bit worse by the fact that the villain has an actually-pretty-good point and so someone on Megaroad-01 could arguably be called a Greater Scope Villain for Macross Delta now.

On the other other hand, I am greatly looking forward to seeing Delta's collection of underdeveloped expies of Macross Frontier characters, third-rate washouts from Brisingr's local New UN Forces, and other assorted bush league "talent" get completely upstaged in their own ****ing movie by a special guest character from another series. :rofl: 

On the other other other hand, could someone please pass the geiger counter?

Edited by Seto Kaiba

39 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I'm planning to watch my copy this weekend... though, to be honest, I'm actually kind of dreading it.

On the one hand, everything I've heard from my friends in Japan who saw it in theaters was broadly positive and suggested that the movie was where Macross Delta actually starts living up to the "Macross" name.  I'm heartily sick of being disappointed by the lazy work on display in Macross Delta proper and the middling-at-best first movie, so I'd like nothing better than for the second movie to blow me away and leave me feeling like the slog to get here was actually worth it.

On the other hand, I absolutely 200% dread the movie's "big reveal" because it's a painfully anticlimactic answer to the franchise's oldest unsolved mystery.

Reveal hidden contents

The Macross Delta TV series and first movie 100% made the right call by leaving Lady M shrouded in mystery and without a defined identity or origin.  

Revealing that she was connected to the long-vanished Megaroad-01 and that Megaroad-01 has been in contact with the greater galaxy for many years undermines parts of several other, much better, Macross stories that were driven by Richard Bilra's obsessive desire to find Megaroad-01 and Minmay at any cost.  The Frontier fleet's launch was part of Bilra's plan to find Minmay, and the YF-30 was developed as part of his obsession with improving fold technology to search for her.

In much the same way that Minmay's story has grown in the telling to the point that the real Minmay would probably be massively underwhelming to anyone in-universe who met her after seeing the dramas about her life, the mystery of the Megaroad-01 has grown because of the fanbase's interest in it.  No answer would be satisfying at this point and the answer we get is incredibly banal at best.  Made a bit worse by the fact that the villain has an actually-pretty-good point and so someone on Megaroad-01 could arguably be called a Greater Scope Villain for Macross Delta now.

Hmmm...

Spoiler

I'm guessing Bilra is infatuated with Minmay?

Wow... the lengths some guys will go to to get a date.....

On the other other hand, I am greatly looking forward to seeing Delta's collection of underdeveloped expies of Macross Frontier characters, third-rate washouts from Brisingr's local New UN Forces, and other assorted bush league "talent" get completely upstaged in their own ****ing movie by a special guest character from another series. :rofl: 

Hayao Kakizaki would fly circles around this bunch.

On the other other other hand, could someone please pass the geiger counter?

Seto... they don't make a geiger counter that could measure that kind of radiation without melting....

Been a while since I posted here, but since I finally watched Zettai Live I thought it was a good time to return and psot my thoughts.I suppose it was an improvement over the last movie and having less of the Knights was always going to be be a good thing. But that said, it still cements itself as the most disappointing Macross installment of all for me. It just never clicked

Spoiler

I didn't like how they teased and teased with Lady M and then they don't dare actually show it. Having Max have so much screen time seemed for me to be an attempt to get the ole crowd on board but it felt like silly fan service to be honest. The writing was just never there and the new antagonists seemed badly shoehorned in.

Even worse, Walküre's songs were forgettable. I'm not the biggest J-pop fan, but even I have to admit that  the Delta series had some real catchy tunes. I finished this film 15 minutes ago and I can't remember a single original tune. For a show that's all about the music that's a big no no.

I said before and I say it again. Kawamori should hand over control of Macross to someone who will develop it and take it into a fresh direction, but that actually cares about writing and characters.

Edited by Marzan

3 hours ago, Heron said:

I enjoyed it overall. You can see the hint of the story the writers were trying to tell under the glee & glam that is Walkure. Both movies do an excellent job of improving on Delta TV. I think they hamfisted the Megaroad-01 but could see Misa trying to keep humanity from making the same mistakes as the Protoculture.

Pluses:

• New Valks

• Max

• Character development

Minuses:

• Overall story.

• Walkures Music didn't impress this time around. Forgettable is how I would describe it.

• Freyja's death. It should have been more gut-wrenching. I was moved more by the Wind Priest's passing than hers.

Doesn't bother me but it's only been four days since release.  You'd better believe that last bullet needs to be a spoilers tag.