Macross Delta Zettai Live!!!!!! - Available on Blu-ray Sept 28, 2022

Marzan

I'm not sure if It's canon, but.. Max was a destroid operator in Macross The First..surely that would've added piloting experience. I imagine he was probably elevated to pilot status due to his destroid superior  saying "what the hell you doing in a destroid? You need to be a pilot, son !"

7 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

(Kinda makes it shocking how undertrained Hayate is, with less than a month of combined training not just for flying a Valkyrie but hand-to-hand combat, tactics, and everything else..

Well in the series he expert in driver destroid crane and mover. And from what I heard all mech controller in Macross are universal standard , which means Hayate already expert in VF Battleroid mode. Only he need to learn how to fly fighter. At least in Delta Movie more realistic as Hayate ALREADY newly joined Xaos and trained pilot before setting start.

Like how Alto able to take control  VF-25 using Civilians student EX Gear as he did mention control system are universal standard. 

Edited by charles88

5 minutes ago, charles88 said:

Well in the series he expert in driver destroid crane and mover. And from what I heard all mech controller in Macross are universal standard , which means Hayate already expert in VF Battleroid mode. Only he need to learn how to fly fighter. At least in Delta Movie more realistic as Hayate ALREADY newly joined Xaos and trained pilot before setting start.

Eh... in terms of his prior experience handling a Destroid Work, there's a pretty big skills gap between driving a 50 year old glorified forklift and a next-generation high-performance fighter jet.

Controls-wise... it's not a universal standard, no.  On a very basic level, the physical control layout of a Valkyrie has been more or less standardized since the Block 6 update to the VF-1 Valkyrie back in ~2009 though there's a lot of variation in the details between models.  The Destroid Work's controls seem to be loosely based on that basic setup.  The software's also going to be very different.  I'd expect the Destroid Work there to be running a cut-down civilian market version of ANGIRAS, the original generation integrated control AI.  The VF-31s (and apparently even the VF-1EX) are using a derivative of the military's state-of-the-art 3rd Generation ARIEL II integrated airframe control AI.

Of course, credit where credit is due, Hayate does suffer Reality Ensuing in the series version when he tries to fly without a support AI holding his hand and repeatedly loses control of his aircraft to stalls and barf-inducing instability.

5 minutes ago, charles88 said:

Like how Alto able to take control  VF-25 using Civilians student EX Gear as he did mention control system are universal standard. 

Not as such.  Alto's PS/ML-21 EX-Gear was a high-performance civilian model that was specifically made to be compatible with the military's EX-Gear standard because it's intended for use in pilot training.  Mihoshi Academy issues them to the students in their Space Flight pilot training program because it's set up to prepare students for careers in commercial aviation or military service.  You could think of it as almost being a prep school for the New UN Spacy's flight school... to the extent that they train on real Valkyries (the VF-1C type).

9 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

True that.

One can imagine the New UN Forces probably understand the Birdhuman's distress only too well after dealing with Xaos's unwillingness to cooperate in any meaningful manner until it's way too late.

The title of CAG (Commander, Air Group) in Macross is used mostly how it was used circa World War II.

Put simply, it's a title and an accompanying administrative role given to the squadron leader with the highest rank (or the most seniority, if two or more have the same rank) among the squadrons embarked on an aircraft carrier.  The CAG serves as the overall leader of all of the embarked squadrons and as a administrative department head for the squadrons who reports directly to the ship's captain.  (Basically, if you're the most experienced squadron leader you get rewarded with extra paperwork and meetings.)

Arad Molders is presumably the CAG of the Macross Elysion, or occupies some similar title since Xaos seems to organize its forces as an Air Force rather than the fleet-based Space Forces of the NUNS.

Even if he didn't have experience beforehand, he logged over 300 hours of simulator time before being assigned to the SVF-1 Skulls Vermilion platoon.

Normally, the flight school is like three year program IIRC.  

(Kinda makes it shocking how undertrained Hayate is, with less than a month of combined training not just for flying a Valkyrie but hand-to-hand combat, tactics, and everything else...)

Thanks for the info; I didn't realize flight school was that long, but it makes sense. I imagine Hikaru's was shortened out of necessity (he already knew piloting but not combat piloting or mech operation), but Hayate's is just nuts!

Edited by pengbuzz

7 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

Thanks for the info; I didn't realize flight school was that long, but it makes sense. I imagine Hikaru's was shortened out of necessity (he already knew piloting but not combat piloting or mech operation), but Hayate's is just nuts!

We have that little detail via two characters: Macross 7's Gamlin Kizaki and Macross VF-X2's Aegis Focker.  The former finished the three year program in two years, the latter having to repeat a year as punishment for AWOL.

(For comparison, the US Navy's flight training is a four step program of 3 weeks of on-ground introductory instruction, 22 weeks of basic pilot training, 27 weeks of intermediate level pilot training, and 27 weeks of advanced pilot training to qualify as a pilot.  That's a bit over a year and a half, though that doesn't count any other training or service obligations.  The equivalent in Macross seems to be a combination of that plus a military academy.)

Hikaru's abbreviated training of approximately a month was facilitated by him already being a qualified and highly skilled pilot.

Basara had private schooling from a former New UN Forces ace pilot and Mylene's parents... well... see for yourself.

Alto Saotome already had nearly two years of flight school under his belt before joining SMS.

Hayate seems a little under-trained, given that Arad gave him one month for training and he blew off most of his actual lessons.  It seems pretty irresponsible of Arad, in hindsight, given that the rest of his unit were ex-NUNS types who presumably went through the three year long flight training program.

2 minutes ago, deathzealot said:

Hmmm No. I think that is one of their daughters? Though I do not remember if any of their daughters have orange/red hair.

Pretty sure that's supposed to be a baby Mylene.

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

We have that little detail via two characters: Macross 7's Gamlin Kizaki and Macross VF-X2's Aegis Focker.  The former finished the three year program in two years, the latter having to repeat a year as punishment for AWOL.

(For comparison, the US Navy's flight training is a four step program of 3 weeks of on-ground introductory instruction, 22 weeks of basic pilot training, 27 weeks of intermediate level pilot training, and 27 weeks of advanced pilot training to qualify as a pilot.  That's a bit over a year and a half, though that doesn't count any other training or service obligations.  The equivalent in Macross seems to be a combination of that plus a military academy.)

Hikaru's abbreviated training of approximately a month was facilitated by him already being a qualified and highly skilled pilot.

Basara had private schooling from a former New UN Forces ace pilot and Mylene's parents... well... see for yourself.

Alto Saotome already had nearly two years of flight school under his belt before joining SMS.

Hayate seems a little under-trained, given that Arad gave him one month for training and he blew off most of his actual lessons.  It seems pretty irresponsible of Arad, in hindsight, given that the rest of his unit were ex-NUNS types who presumably went through the three year long flight training program.

Much appreciated, although the link to the pic you posted alerted my browser as a "bad cert" warning. O.o

BTW: while we're on the topic- what's the minimum age someone would have to be in order to enlist in UN Spacy? I know in Macross II, several of the pilots seemed quite young ( yeah, it's an alt universe). I ask for story reasons in the RPG I mentioned previously and need info for a plot point in it.

Edited by pengbuzz

Going by Gamlin 15 with special permit.

WAdxk6t.jpeg

Meanwhile Powan Howan in Macrooss VF-X is already a bridge operator at age 10. Mylene got her drivers license at 10. Emancipation herself at 14. Hayate has been moving from job to job,planet to planet at a young age. 

Know what I amused while Freya was bewildered that old people exists in Macross 7 Basara is shocked their audience are a bunch of retirees. Then you realize these are Space War 1 survivors. There is not much old people really.

13 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

BTW: while we're on the topic- what's the minimum age someone would have to be in order to enlist in UN Spacy? I know in Macross II, several of the pilots seemed quite young ( yeah, it's an alt universe). I ask for story reasons in the RPG I mentioned previously and need info for a plot point in it.

As in the real world, the New UN Forces appear to be willing to recruit people who are underage provided they'll reach legal adulthood by the time their training is complete.  

With the Space Forces pilot school being a three-year program, the minimum age by special admission under normal circumstances is probably 14.  Gamlin, you'll notice, joined at 15 and graduated a year early but was still a legal adult (17) at the time of his graduation

Mylene being 14 seems to be a bit of a special case, since the unit she joined are irregulars with special non-trainable abilities.

35 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

As in the real world, the New UN Forces appear to be willing to recruit people who are underage provided they'll reach legal adulthood by the time their training is complete.  

With the Space Forces pilot school being a three-year program, the minimum age by special admission under normal circumstances is probably 14.  Gamlin, you'll notice, joined at 15 and graduated a year early but was still a legal adult (17) at the time of his graduation

Mylene being 14 seems to be a bit of a special case, since the unit she joined are irregulars with special non-trainable abilities.

Thanks; that works out for my character then. :)

12 hours ago, RedWolf said:

Mylene got her drivers license at 10. Emancipation herself at 14.

No, she is not an emancipated minor.

Mylene is just living that old cliche of the teen who wants to be independent and talks their parents into letting them get a place of their own, like Usa in Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou, Futaba in My Senpai is Annoying, etc. etc..  She lives in an upscale condo in City-7 paid for by her parents, she drives a car given to her by her parents, and before Fire Bomber got its big break was almost certainly living on a stipend provided by her parents to cover her living expenses.  Mylene just has super-indulgent parents who try to respect her desire to be independent as much as is feasible.

(I privately entertain the hypothesis that Max and Milia jumped at the chance to get #8 out of the house so they could get some alone time.)

12 hours ago, RedWolf said:

Hayate has been moving from job to job,planet to planet at a young age. 

For a year or two, anyway... not that he actually needed to.  He was just a lazy and indecisive bum with no concept of what he wanted to do or be until he jumped into that downed VF-171 and discovered a love of flying.  

2 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

For a year or two, anyway... not that he actually needed to.  He was just a lazy and indecisive bum with no concept of what he wanted to do or be until he jumped into that downed VF-171 and discovered a love of flying.  

And made many professional pilots in the NUNS groan in despair... over such a knuckle-head

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, crackpot said:

Those guns are drooping. Hayate needs to make sure he retracts the arm completely and Xaos needs make sure the wing to leg connection fits. 🤣

That's a rough filing job for Makina to do.

2 hours ago, crackpot said:

Those guns are drooping. Hayate needs to make sure he retracts the arm completely and Xaos needs make sure the wing to leg connection fits. 🤣

... uh-oh, life is imitating art. 🤣

11 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

C'mon BANDAI! Give us DX ELVIS! Now! :aggressive:

I'll take two, please and thank you.

Seriously, that is legit the best color scheme for the Draken III so far... should've been Keith's paintjob, since he's the white knight and all.

33 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I'll take two, please and thank you.

Seriously, that is legit the best color scheme for the Draken III so far... should've been Keith's paintjob, since he's the white knight and all.

Agreed. :good: 

What say you now, Bandai?! You already produced a kit. Why not stretch it to DX form?! Just make it already!! :aggressive:

4 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

What say you now, Bandai?! You already produced a kit. Why not stretch it to DX form?! Just make it already!! :aggressive:

I'm honestly not sure which scheme I would want more though.  I would only really want the Elvis valk on the condition that they manage to not make the plastic a pile of swirly-white translucent pearly goop, and actually get the gold paint to stick.

And seriously, just make the Ba already.  I want that more than either of the stabby-wing versions. :p 

I bet they will announce DVD/BD relase in March.  Why?  The screening ended on January 27 and they usually announce the release of a BD / DVD 2 months after the screening.  On the other hand, after an announcement, the waiting time for a release is usually 4/5 months.  I wouldn't be surprised if the premiere was in October - when the series has its 40th anniversary

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2022 at 3:23 AM, no3Ljm said:

Since the WWM announcement, I wonder if they're going to have this available on streaming sites on release date since I prefer owning digital files now over physical discs.

Its 4 months passed away already, just wait for 2 more months 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...