• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sigh. The movie tried, it really tried, but there was just no working around the Stephen King-ness of that adult arc, I guess. There's a solid movie underneath all the extraneous detail, but the extraneous details do really kill the movie for me.

Probably the biggest blunder of the movie is that unlike the first one, none of the tension from one scene transitions really well into the next. There's no real build-up like the first one has, and the ending is... kind of silly, actually. There were some unintentionally funny moments throughout that especially ruined the mood.

There's potential here, they've just been 0 for 2 so far. The acting for some characters was pretty inspired, though. Lots of people are heaping praise on Bill Hader, and he definitely puts in one of the better efforts this movie.

• 1 year later...

It is weird that both the old and new versions had really great first halves and kinda ok or alright second halves. Maybe the creepy clown thing and nightmares just seem like more of a childhood horror or maybe if there ever is another reboot in a few years someone should really do something special with the second half that’s really memorable 

2 hours ago, Big s said:

It is weird that both the old and new versions had really great first halves and kinda ok or alright second halves. Maybe the creepy clown thing and nightmares just seem like more of a childhood horror or maybe if there ever is another reboot in a few years someone should really do something special with the second half that’s really memorable 

I hadn't seen the original with Tim Curry want to now!!

1 hour ago, Dynaman said:

I've only seen bits and pieces, be prepared - it is very eighties.  I have to admit that John Boy stuck out too much in my brain too.

Yes, I saw clips on Youtube and its very 80s and more so because of its 'made for TV' production. Should be a good trip to Nostalgialand, lol!

5 hours ago, Big s said:

It is weird that both the old and new versions had really great first halves and kinda ok or alright second halves.

You obviously haven't read the book. :lol:

It starts out great, but just gets worse, and worse, and worse. <_<

On 4/3/2021 at 3:44 PM, TangledThorns said:

I hadn't seen the original with Tim Curry want to now!!

That mini-series scared the living sh*t out of me when it first aired back when I was in 9th grade. Made the mistake of taping it and watching it late at night with the lights off after everyone had gone to bed...:help:

I watched it back in my youth as well. I’m surprised my parents let me watch it. It was on on school nights and got some nightmares as well back in the day. It really doesn’t have the same effect now, but I’ll never forget what it felt like back then. The nostalgia of being a kid riding your bike to meet up with some friends and head to school and talking about It on the way. For a kid it was something to be afraid of and yet you didn’t want to be the kid that wasn’t able or too afraid to watch.