Takatoku Toys and Bandai Macross Promotional Materials...now with more Arcadia!

jvmacross

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
1 hour ago, fifbeat said:

Awesome stuff. :)

What' the deal with this color variant? ...

VF-1J-661x1024.jpg.4c88a98bf27a0d47f2427540ba7fb07b.jpg

Takatoku promoted their "Super Real 1/55 die-cast plastic scale model & high technology" toys as "customizable" just like model kits.

The poster shows several "custom" possibilities....including the one you are inquiring about, which to me seems like a "Cavaliers" squadron sample.

Others shown include a TV Max-1A, and even a VF-1D, the possibilities were endless...or at least limited by your mod skills! :rolleyes:

17 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Takatoku promoted their "Super Real 1/55 die-cast plastic scale model & high technology" toys as "customizable" just like model kits.

The poster shows several "custom" possibilities....including the one you are inquiring about, which to me seems like a "Cavaliers" squadron sample.

Others shown include a TV Max-1A, and even a VF-1D, the possibilities were endless...or at least limited by your mod skills! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the exploration. Really cool. The first time I'm seeing this stuff. 

19 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

1 hour ago, fifbeat said:

Awesome stuff. :)

What' the deal with this color variant? ...

VF-1J-661x1024.jpg.4c88a98bf27a0d47f2427540ba7fb07b.jpg

According to an MW member on here know as Major Tom said this is the prototype color palette that Hikaru was supposed to use. Because the colors did not look “hero” worthy this color combination was passed on and the grayish-white with red accent color combination was used instead.

Hope Major Tom can chime in to validate or elaborate further on the story.

Not sure what happened to the original post...but I saved it and here is what Major Tom wrote about it at the time when I originally posted the Takatoku Promo Posters back on February 25, 2012 (wow!)...

Per Major Tom posted on MW April 1, 2012 (8 years ago!):

OK, here's a brief history in Macross black VF-1J. Back in 97, I was visiting a friend in Japan. He took me on a tour of different cities and we met up with his other friend who use to work as an assistance at Studio Nue. He told me Takatoku request the drawings from Studio Nue so they can get an early build on the toys before the series hit the TV. Studio Nue send the color drawing that they have been working on to Takatoku to make prototypes. Big West haven't decided what color the hero of the show would be piloting at that time. When they saw the black VF-1J, they made the suggestion to Studio Nue that the hero valkyrie should look more heroic, so Studio Nue decided on the Japan flag color insted. My friend shows me the color drawing of black VF-1J that he saved from his former job. Just think, Hikaru would have been piloting the black VF-1J in his alternate life 

Here is a close-up of the "custom" VF-1 toys...

large.1922719370_ValkyrieVariation.jpg.9

Edited by jvmacross

On 4/2/2020 at 9:59 PM, nightmareB4macross said:

According to an MW member on here know as Major Tom said this is the prototype color palette that Hikaru was supposed to use. Because the colors did not look “hero” worthy this color combination was passed on and the grayish-white with red accent color combination was used instead.

Hope Major Tom can chime in to validate or elaborate further on the story.

Yeah...I noticed many of my vintage Macross toy and merch posts are missing...will repost as I find them

It would be awesome to find out if that "black" VF-1J scheme eventually got "repurposed" as the blink-or-you'll-miss-it Cavaliers VF-1...

Screen shot 2013-03-05 at 10.07.07 PM.png

Edited by jvmacross

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/2/2020 at 10:37 PM, jvmacross said:

So any of us doing kitbashes and mods on our 1/55 "chunky's" are actually following the manufacturer's recommendations?

COOL. :D

• jvmacross changed the title to Takatoku Toys and Bandai SDFM/DYRL Era Promotional Material

Bandai 1/55 Hi-Metal Strike VF-1S Promotional Store Display

large.20200501_223707.jpg.2efd6101d42283

Of particular note on this promotional store display is the use of a "sticker-less" Takatoku branded VF-1S and the prototype/pre-production Strike Cannon.

This same "Takatoku-branded" valkyrie is most likely also used in the diorama that was photographed for the back of the "boxart" images...it also would appear that Takatoku FP's are used in the photo below...as they have the same colors of the Takatoku Super VF-1S release, as opposed to the Darker olive green color of the Bandai production release....

gallery_12176_640_1910519.jpg

According to the second volume of the Takatoku Toys Hobby and Toy booklet, Takatoku Toys had received the lineart for the new "Super" VF-1S that was to be the new hero valk for the upcoming Macross movie.  Takatoku had apparently started working on it, unfortunately, they went BK before the movie was released.

gallery_12176_640_169867.jpg

The BK occured in May of 1984, just months before the theatrical premier of DYRL.  Bandai eventually acquired the molds for Takatoku's 1/55 line from Matsushiro, who had been manufacturing the 1/55 for Takatoku.  Eventually, Bandai was able to release a DYRL tie-in product in the form of a still Takatoku-branded 1/55 VF-1S Strike Valkyrie in October 1984....several months after the DYRL film had been released.  The first issues of the 1/55 Strike VF-1S's released by Bandai all had a black sticker placed over the Takatoku logo...like seen here....

large.2040037243_BandaiTakatokusticker.j

In later releases, Bandai adjusts the mold to replace the Takatoku logo with a Bandai logo...as seen here...

large.1656878150_Bandailogonosticker.jpg

I am not sure how many releases Bandai's Hi-Metal 1/55 VF-1S Strike Valkyrie enjoyed, but clearly they were rushing to try to get something out as soon as possible.  It would be interesting to know how far Takatoku got in terms of any releases specific for DYRL.  Were the Strike Cannon parts and the DYRL painted VF-1S left over prototypes from Takatoku or completely developed by Bandai?  I guess that would depend how early Takatoku received the lineart for it and how quickly they would have started working on DYRL products.  The only other toys that I know were completely developed under Takatoku, but ultimately released by different companies, were the Hi-Compact VF-1 (Bandai) and the Henkei Super VF-1S (Mark).  I believe that last Takatoku Macross toys released by Takatoku were the Paro Mecha Valkyries.

large.20200501_223729.jpg.0ce1441a7e1feb

"T.T" Takatoku Toys logo....

large.20200501_223520.jpg.8bf249039a7a1d

Solid Strike Cannon prototype....Takatoku Super Fast Packs

large.20200501_222808.jpg.62f93163c0cd35

Takatoku 1/55 Strike Valkyrie....On Sale Now!

:)

Edited by jvmacross

• jvmacross changed the title to Takatoku Toys and Bandai Macross Promotional Materials

One good thing that this "shelter in place" situation has done is given me extra time to actually start going over my books, magazines and other information with Google Translate.  It has gotten much better over the years, especially with the smaller descriptive text that sometimes accompanies pictures.

For example, the following bit of information was news to me.....it is from the same Takatoku Toys Hobby and Toy booklet Vol 2 mentioned above....

large.20200427_211316.jpg.208a0c29ce4c1c

Appatently, Takatoku had a stand-alone Fast Pack set in the works...just like their released stand-alone Armored Parts set....it was going to be sold for around 1,500 JPY!  Too bad it never got a chance for release...:(   Wonder how far they got around to creating the packaging?

On 4/18/2020 at 12:44 PM, jvmacross said:

I see some promo Macross posters hanging within the Takatoku Toys display area....the hunt never ends!

Some pics from this event found going over the magazine archives....

The "South Ataria" mountain display...the same one seen in the video above in the Takatoku Toys display area.  Clearer shots of the promo posters shown in the video.  The hunt intensifies!  And also on the 7ft+ VF-1J! :shok:

myanime0883a3.jpg

And some unrelated pics to the 1983 Tokyo Toy Show.....

Takatoku Toys display from a trade show....clearly pushing the "customization" kit aspect for the 1/55....

myanime_483a4.jpg

And a toy update alerting the upcoming Takatoku "Egg Valkyrie" for 2000 JPY!  Takatoku went BK and never released it.  However, this went on to become the first release in Bandai's Hi-Compact Model Collection after acquiring the molds.  Was this another Matsushiro manufactured product for Takatoku?

gallery_12176_640_2174092.jpg

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, uzernaem said:

Sorry if this has been already brought up, but can anyone shed some light on why does the VF-1S head look like this on a Takatoku-branded poster?

tumblr_om9dy52mkG1ucl3f0o1_640.jpg

It is a "pre-production" VF-1S....it happens all the time.....even today

Here is another example, this time with the SDF-1....the SDF-1 in this Takatoku promo poster is a pre-production toy that differs from the final product design that made it onto store shelves.....

SDF-1Macross-661x1024.jpg

..and perhaps the most famous "non-production" prototype used in Takatoku promotional materials was the VF-1J, seen here on this Takatoku promo poster and on various other ads and promo materials of the era before the toy was actually released....

ValkyrieDX-724x1024.jpg

The VF-1S prototype featured in the ad you posted is also used in this Takatoku promo poster...

VF-1J-661x1024.jpg

...a close-up....

large.1922719370_ValkyrieVariation.jpg.9

....it is shown in it's final version on this Takatoku promo poster....

ValkyrieColorVariation-661x1024.jpg

Edited by jvmacross

5 minutes ago, uzernaem said:

Now it makes me wonder why did they replace this anime accurate design with the famous "angular" look.

Who knows...someone at TT did not like it?...however, the rounded "look" was actually used by Takatoku on other VF-1S toys in their lineup, including their vinyl figure collection and their Henkei toys...:unknw:....

large.20200426_221512.jpg.c6297c0632d811

• 8 months later...

Maybe the wrong thread, but I honestly don't know where to post this...

The other day I bought an old SF Japanese manga from 1983 cause I wanted the cover art.

Unfortunately, the thing was so musty and smelled of almost 40 years of moldy Japanese closets I got asthma just from handling it.

I only wanted the cover so I cut off the front and back and ditched the rest.  Sorry....I didn't like doing it, but it was smelly.

Anyway, the back cover was a cool surprise; this awesome old ad for Macross toys!!  These are obviously the smaller scale toys, but still cool!

macross-ad-1983.jpg

I love seeing stuff like this...just reminds me of how awesome it was growing up in the 80s.

On 2/1/2022 at 9:14 AM, onnasake said:

Maybe the wrong thread, but I honestly don't know where to post this...

The other day I bought an old SF Japanese manga from 1983 cause I wanted the cover art.

Unfortunately, the thing was so musty and smelled of almost 40 years of moldy Japanese closets I got asthma just from handling it.

I only wanted the cover so I cut off the front and back and ditched the rest.  Sorry....I didn't like doing it, but it was smelly.

Anyway, the back cover was a cool surprise; this awesome old ad for Macross toys!!  These are obviously the smaller scale toys, but still cool!

macross-ad-1983.jpg

I love seeing stuff like this...just reminds me of how awesome it was growing up in the 80s.

The Takatoku Macross henkei valks are awesome....from a certain point of view....:db:

large.20200424_134212.jpg.6a79f1d8181521

large.1904576868_TakatokuHekeiPromoPoste

• 9 months later...
8 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Probably the best and definitely the most scarce of the Takatoku "mini" toy catalogs included with their releases....this one came included in one of my 1/55 VF-1J Max Valkyries....

large.20221119_161657.jpg.0ddf930a3791b6

large.20221119_161724.jpg.544d914f06d0c5

large.20221119_161747.jpg.e2fd7b7cf2f70e

I have never seen that catalog before. What a neat find.

6 hours ago, nightmareB4macross said:

I have never seen that catalog before. What a neat find.

It's odd how much larger it is compared to the regular mini catalogs...will try to post a picture with both to show the difference....

Maybe the "color variation" section may have led to too many "When is the VF-1D coming out?" inquiries LOL

• jvmacross changed the title to Takatoku Toys and Bandai Macross Promotional Materials...now with more Arcadia!