• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I started this last night. I think there is a big "hole" in the story that is driving me a little crazy. What do you think? Spoilers below.

Spoiler

When Homelander goes to confront Mr Fring (sorry, I can't see him any other way) about hiring the new girl without his permission I don't see how Mr Fring's "counter threat" of Homelander screwing the Compound V thing up and him not being the most valuable asset was well, weak. Why would  Homelandercare? Homelander is a god (his words). No one can hurt him. If he wants to be in charge, well, he's in charge. If he wants to be rich, he's rich. If he wants to rule the planet, he rules the planet. Who's going to stop him? I thought for a moment that the threat was that Mr Fring could ruin Homelanders image in the public eye. The implication being Homelander has a fragile ego. I don't think that is it though. Mr Fring can't make the Compound V screw up public, so that's a non threat. And if they didn't re-new Homelander contract he could go anywhere and get snapped up in a second. He IS the franchise. The only threat that seems viable is if Vought has some sort of Kryptonite. 

I thought it was a major oversight. Vought having some sort of power over Homelander is certainly going to have implications as the story moves forward. Something that important needs a stronger foundation. 

Edited by sqidd

1 hour ago, sqidd said:

Yeah, LOL. Where is Stormlander come from?:fool:

Honestly thought you were saying that on purpose. I read some of the wiki for the comics and well...

In any event the first three episodes were great. I’m legitimately pissed at this weekly release schedule the streaming services are going to, I want to binge the entire season now. Now. Now. Now. 

-b.

26 minutes ago, Kanedas Bike said:

I want to binge the entire season now. Now. Now. Now. 

-b.

Right!

From a sales perspective I get it. I'll do things like wait until HBO has three shows I want to watch and all the episodes are out and then get a month for $12.99. If they string them out they're chances of increasing revenue go up.

I don't like it though.

1 hour ago, sqidd said:

Right!

From a sales perspective I get it. I'll do things like wait until HBO has three shows I want to watch and all the episodes are out and then get a month for $12.99. If they string them out they're chances of increasing revenue go up.

I don't like it though.

For sure, I get it as well to curb people from doing the free or discounted trial membership.

BUT 

Those folks can simply wait until the series has been released and do that anyway. With this model all they're doing is annoying the impatient among the current subscriber base.

It made sense for Disney + to do that for Mandalorian since that was at or just after the launch of a new service. For established services like Amazon Prime where your base is mostly locked in anyway, I feel like the effort to mitigate risk is wasted. But blah, it's not likely to change, if anything it's going to become more and more prevalent. The thought of which truly annoys me. If they're going to behave like network or cable television, then just license the content and be done with it.

But I digress. The Boys is a really fun ride.

-b.

34 minutes ago, Kanedas Bike said:

But I digress. The Boys is a really fun ride.

-b.

Spoiler

OMG, the Homelander breast milk scene! It was creepy and hilarious all at the same time! Then the call back when they were eating pancakes!!!!!:rofl:

Ok god, that poor whale! I felt bad and was laughing my tail off all at the same time.:lol:

And if you didn't know the kid was getting pushed off the roof...........you have no pulse! I was laughing so hard!!! It was the perfect Homelander dad move!!!:p Homelander is the worst! Also, great to watch!8P

5 minutes ago, anime52k8 said:

I still hate this series.

I can see how it would be easy to hate. A couple of slightly different brain cells and I would hate it too. It's not a good look for humanity. Pretty much everyone sucks to one degree or another. And there is something a little unsettling about superheros that suck. Even though in real life chances are.......superheroes would suck. Humans have a bad track record with handling power.

Have you seen Brightburn? That may be one to stay away from for you.

2 hours ago, anime52k8 said:

Is black humor not your thing?

2 hours ago, sqidd said:

Have you seen Brightburn?

Brightburn?  More like Slowburn.  <_<

It takes the film 75 minutes to accomplish what the trailer established in 90 seconds. :huh:

7 hours ago, anime52k8 said:

Nobody's perfect :p

Reading up on the comic I'm reminded about Garth Ennis, without really knowing him/reading interviews/etc. I could easily accuse him of some having some pretty horrible ideology. Instead I just go with the theory that he enjoys putting up a mirror to humanity and showing us how truly flawed and terrible we can/could be.

7 hours ago, sqidd said:
  Reveal hidden contents

OMG, the Homelander breast milk scene! It was creepy and hilarious all at the same time! Then the call back when they were eating pancakes!!!!!:rofl:

Ok god, that poor whale! I felt bad and was laughing my tail off all at the same time.:lol:

And if you didn't know the kid was getting pushed off the roof...........you have no pulse! I was laughing so hard!!! It was the perfect Homelander dad move!!!:p Homelander is the worst! Also, great to watch!8P

I can see how it would be easy to hate. A couple of slightly different brain cells and I would hate it too. It's not a good look for humanity. Pretty much everyone sucks to one degree or another. And there is something a little unsettling about superheros that suck. Even though in real life chances are.......superheroes would suck. Humans have a bad track record with handling power.

Have you seen Brightburn? That may be one to stay away from for you.

I actually did laugh at that particular roof scene, a lot - I blame growing up with Looney Toons and how that type of 'physical' humor was the thing. I'm surprised Homelander didn't toss him into the air.

Brightburn, Brightburn, Brightburn - sigh, really liked the premise, but the execution left me...wanting. 

5 hours ago, tekering said:

Is black humor not your thing?

Brightburn?  More like Slowburn.  <_<

It takes the film 75 minutes to accomplish what the trailer established in 90 seconds. :huh:

Hard to argue, my feeling sorry for the kid quickly gave way to HATING how stupid the parents were.

Spoiler

And the ending. In that universe we're probably all dead by now. Especially since the kid was left as the only one that know's his own weakness, he could have just chucked the damn ship to the moon, or bottom of the ocean or simply buried it somewhere. 

-b.

On 9/7/2020 at 5:45 AM, sqidd said:

I started this last night. I think there is a big "hole" in the story that is driving me a little crazy. What do you think? Spoilers below.

Hide contents

When Homelander goes to confront Mr Fring (sorry, I can't see him any other way) about hiring the new girl without his permission I don't see how Mr Fring's "counter threat" of Homelander screwing the Compound V thing up and him not being the most valuable asset was well, weak. Why would  Homelandercare? Homelander is a god (his words). No one can hurt him. If he wants to be in charge, well, he's in charge. If he wants to be rich, he's rich. If he wants to rule the planet, he rules the planet. Who's going to stop him? I thought for a moment that the threat was that Mr Fring could ruin Homelanders image in the public eye. The implication being Homelander has a fragile ego. I don't think that is it though. Mr Fring can't make the Compound V screw up public, so that's a non threat. And if they didn't re-new Homelander contract he could go anywhere and get snapped up in a second. He IS the franchise. The only threat that seems viable is if Vought has some sort of Kryptonite. 

I thought it was a major oversight. Vought having some sort of power over Homelander is certainly going to have implications as the story moves forward. Something that important needs a stronger foundation. 

That isn't a plot hole, what happened was the truth, Homelander would be replaced, he's a product. Him threatening to go somewhere else was a bluff, and he was called on it immediately, he's not going anywhere. While other corporations that handle supe contracts exist, there's a reason we haven't heard much to anything about them, they aint crap, and Homelander knows it. It's like if Tom Brady, in his prime, quit the NFL to play in the AFL, he'd still be Tom Brady, but nobody would give a crap. 

Homelander knows damn well he'd be replaced in a week, there'd be a new leader of The Seven, and there would be a new Vought approved and marketed #1 supe in the world, even if it isn't true on a physical level in any way, Vought would sell it that way, it would become public opinion, and that would be that. Homelander could kill and take what he wants, but that's not his public image, he's still a good guy, the best guy, all of his murder and devious crap was on the down-low, hidden, and covered up, by Vought no-less. Not a single other corporation has that power and influence, and he knows it, once again, he aint going anywhere. 

Outside of Homelander going full dictator and taking over the world by force, and just openly becoming a monster and a bad guy, there's not a single thing he can really do. That back and forth he had with Stan was fantastic, it was pretty damn close to what we see in the comic, he is essentially the Joker to Homelander's Batman, there's nothing Homelander can do with all his strength and power, it means nothing to Mr. Edgar. Homelander did what Homelander does when Mr. Edgar tells him off, he shakes and gets red in the face, then storms off like a fragile little baby, much to the amazement of literally anyone watching, not a single other person on the planet can do that to Homelander. 

Loving the new season so far, Stormfront is great! I was wondering how they'd handle him, or her now, and if we'd see shades of the comic counterpart on the show, definitely appears so! 

1 hour ago, Tking22 said:

That isn't a plot hole, what happened was the truth, Homelander would be replaced, he's a product. Him threatening to go somewhere else was a bluff, and he was called on it immediately, he's not going anywhere. While other corporations that handle supe contracts exist, there's a reason we haven't heard much to anything about them, they aint crap, and Homelander knows it. It's like if Tom Brady, in his prime, quit the NFL to play in the AFL, he'd still be Tom Brady, but nobody would give a crap. 

Homelander knows damn well he'd be replaced in a week, there'd be a new leader of The Seven, and there would be a new Vought approved and marketed #1 supe in the world, even if it isn't true on a physical level in any way, Vought would sell it that way, it would become public opinion, and that would be that. Homelander could kill and take what he wants, but that's not his public image, he's still a good guy, the best guy, all of his murder and devious crap was on the down-low, hidden, and covered up, by Vought no-less. Not a single other corporation has that power and influence, and he knows it, once again, he aint going anywhere. 

Outside of Homelander going full dictator and taking over the world by force, and just openly becoming a monster and a bad guy, there's not a single thing he can really do. That back and forth he had with Stan was fantastic, it was pretty damn close to what we see in the comic, he is essentially the Joker to Homelander's Batman, there's nothing Homelander can do with all his strength and power, it means nothing to Mr. Edgar. Homelander did what Homelander does when Mr. Edgar tells him off, he shakes and gets red in the face, then storms off like a fragile little baby, much to the amazement of literally anyone watching, not a single other person on the planet can do that to Homelander. 

Loving the new season so far, Stormfront is great! I was wondering how they'd handle him, or her now, and if we'd see shades of the comic counterpart on the show, definitely appears so! 

Perfectly explained. Thank you!:hi:

1 minute ago, badboy00z said:

I was going to binge the entire season in one day but to find out it will be a weekly release was disappointing. Also I wasn't expecting Stormfront to do what she did. Damn...

Yeah, looks like Homelander has some competition for who sucks the most.:D 

On 9/9/2020 at 8:22 PM, badboy00z said:

I was going to binge the entire season in one day but to find out it will be a weekly release was disappointing. Also I wasn't expecting Stormfront to do what she did. Damn...

Me too.  I'll wait until they're all released until I pop in for a free trial of Amazon Prime, lol!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Saw what I think is the last episode 1:00am-ish. I still like the show but I not as much as season 1 by a pretty big margin. I'm not sure how much of that is down to not binge watching it. The episode a week takes away the flow sometimes.

Spoiler

I was a little disappointed that as I was watching E8 that I easily called a whole bunch of stuff before it happened. Makes it seem "cheaper somehow". Or maybe better described as "lazy" or "cliche":mellow:

The head exploder reveal got me though.:lol:

Edited by sqidd

Great episode....more or less tied up the events leading up to it....seemed sort of rushed, but still liked it....can't wait to see what insanity S3 brings....

Spoiler

Glad Stormfront got the crap beat out of her, but I am guessing we have not seen the end of her just yet......she was left in a very "Vader-esque" state at the end....and we all know that does not mean you are out of the fight....lol

Also, they tried to imply that the Congresswoman has super powers and was behind the "headshots"...but thinking that was purposefully done...maybe she is either related or somehow got that supe from the "hospital" to work for her.....showing everyone is corrupt...supes, vought, politicians (duh!)......we'll have to wait and see what happens

3 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Great episode....more or less tied up the events leading up to it....seemed sort of rushed, but still liked it....can't wait to see what insanity S3 brings....

Reveal hidden contents

Glad Stormfront got the crap beat out of her, but I am guessing we have not seen the end of her just yet......she was left in a very "Vader-esque" state at the end....and we all know that does not mean you are out of the fight....lol

Also, they tried to imply that the Congresswoman has super powers and was behind the "headshots"...but thinking that was purposefully done...maybe she is either related or somehow got that supe from the "hospital" to work for her.....showing everyone is corrupt...supes, vought, politicians (duh!)......we'll have to wait and see what happens

Yeah, rushed is a good word for that.

Solid finale, definitely predictable though, once again, this series has veered completely away from the comic and I'm perfectly fine with it. At this point I enjoy the comic and show for different reasons, both good, I still like the comic and it's story far more, but the show is fun. Lots of revelations in these last two episodes, and once again as a comic reader, am glad to not know exactly where things are going.

Spoiler

Black Noir is an actual black man, that is a HUGE difference from the comic, like game changing. Black Noir's identity in the comic was endgame stuff, it was the big revelation/twist at the end, and that's clearly not happening on the show, which I'm fine with, keep comic readers guessing. Gotta wonder how "out"  he is though, the whole Almond Joy thing wasn't in the comic, Black Noir was basically Terminator, so we'll see.

Also, the church stuff, not in the comic at all, and I felt it was dragging this season, but these last two episodes made it relevant, The Deep has almost no story or dialogue in the comic so his church stuff has been fun, seems the church will play a much bigger role next season. 

There's been a lot of easter eggs for comic fans, we got another in the finale, the three girls stomping Stormfront out was an homage to how he died in the comic, getting literally stomped to death by the whole Boys team, hilarious stuff, she got away and that played into the predictability, of course the kid was going to finally use his power, and of course it was going to be to stop her. 

Jessica died in the comic giving birth, dead flat, nothing beyond that, so her dying lines up with the comic, but the kid thing is totally new, the child definitely didn't survive in the comic so we'll see where that goes, I'm still not a fan of that plot thread. 

The Seven needs more members, in the previous episode we saw Jack From Jupiter totally exists in the show universe, but isn't a member of The Seven, the show created Translucent for that, gotta wonder if Jack gets to get moved up to the big leagues and will take his rightful place on The Seven. Also, that little scene of him on the TV bent over asking for, pleasure, was another easter egg from the comic, that totally got leaked towards the end of the series, Jack would say his word "carpo", go invulnerable, then get gang banged by a half dozen transgender prostitutes, so I guess maybe we won't see Jack join The Seven after all. 

Overall it was a good season, not as good as the first, I have this odd feeling like not much happened this season, which is weird, it just didn't seem quite as eventful.