3 hours ago, apptt4 said:

The Boys views superheroes as the ultimate combination of celebrity and athlete. what might those people be like? probably some sick sick puppies...

I'll give it a chance.

Perfect analogy :good:

Chris

As much as I have enjoyed Garth Ennis' work, I just couldn't get into The Boys when it first came out in 2006. Reminded me a bit of Brat Pack, which felt like shock for shock's sake (in fairness, that's a typical Ennis criticism, but somehow here there seemed less humor with the shock). Still, I'll give the show a shot on Amazon.

As a side note, I'm glad Simon Pegg will at least have a cameo, since the main character of the comics was explicitly based on him (think how Samuel L. Jackson got the Nick Fury role because Nick Fury in the Ultimates comics was based on him).

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

From what I've watched of it so far I don't like it. It's Bleak and miserable and gross. I generally hate Garth Ennis  (both his actual work and his attitude towards comics and superheros) and this show embodies all of those things I don't like about him.

Edited by anime52k8

I’ve been wondering about this deal. Been checking out the trailers.  I won’t be streaming it until it’s wide spread or something.  It does deserve a fair shot BUT..What I get is everyone (in Hollywood) is putting their spin(as per comic writers trying to break thru) on the super hero  thang($).. it’s the latest ($) fad. Though it may be totally unrelated..The Mystery Men re defined the hero thang in 99.

1 hour ago, anime52k8 said:

From what I've watched of it so far I don't like it. It's Bleak and miserable and gross. I generally hate Garth Ennis  (both his actual work and his attitude towards comics and superheros) and this show embodies all of those things I don't like about him.

PREACH my brother PREACH! TESTIFY!

I actually read the entire comic series about three years ago, took a while because it does get a bit slow at times, but I definitely enjoyed it overall. Finished the first season last night and I LOVED it! They did a fantastic job adapting a really insane story! I feel all the right things were dialed back, it's not as gratuitous as the comic, not even close, which is for the better IMO, this being a series, it's gotta be more accessible to a wider audience, and once again, I feel it was.

Urban was great as always, Simon Pegg got to guest star as Wee Hughie's dad instead of Hughie himself, which works for me, and honestly, all the casting was pretty damn fantastic. I recognize the guy as Homelander from Banshee, another great, and highly underrated, series. Best part of all though? That ending. Without spoiling things, the ending completely diverged from the comic storyline, which I love, so going into season 2 there's already a new status quo, I won't just know what is going to happen, I really like the shake up. Some spoilery details I liked:

Spoiler

-Once again, insanity dialed back helps, Starlight didn't have to blow three guys, just one, which is gross but that's the point of that scene, The Seven are shitfrakks. It was bad without being needlessly over the top like the comic

-Homelander may not have his whole "other" personality, he's just a monster as is, he's not murdering innocent families for fun and taking bites out of infants, so once again, nicely dialed back.

-Will we see Herogasm? Doubtful, but that would be funny, the mini-series itself was a bit meh, but I loved the whole concept. A giant fake alien in space fight being a cover for a nasty over the top orgy/vacation was pretty absurd, but it worked within this universe.

-I was worried no compound V, Urban himself said the show wasn't going to feature it, but there it was. Only issue I have is that it appears The Boys themselves won't be taking any, or at least not for now, or perhaps just Hughie will get a dose? Either way, the lack of compound V in The Boys is a bit of a bother, not only does it make sense for them to juice up a bit in order to go toe to toe with weaker groups like Teenage Kix, but also it loses the whole "become your enemy" deal from the comics. Oh well.

-Very little from Black Noir, granted, he wasn't super important until nearly the final arc of the comic but still, he's almost not even there, and his powers and abilities seem dialed back.

-There were some roster switch ups which worked overall for me. The Deep got a bigger part, and is an a-hole, so that works. No Jack from Jupiter, but Transluscent works, and the joke about his stupid name was pretty funny.

-Once again, THAT ENDING! Who knows now for season 2? Becca should be dead, her death drove the entire story behind the scenes, so what now?

Overall I really enjoyed it and I think the show did a fine job towing the line so to speak with it's over-the-topness. Garth Ennis is a bit much, and the original comic was a bit much, but I think this first season was really well done, and enjoyable enough for casual viewers, it's a nice change of pace from the past decade of being bombarded with family friendly Disney super hero nonsense, which I love, but yeah, The Boys was great.

Never read the comics or know anything about how the story goes but...

SO FAR...I think it would make a far more interesting story if Becca was a willing participant..ie..paid to create a super with Homelander, instead of the seemingly inevitable confirmation that she was raped.

looking forward to next season for sure!

Chris

5 hours ago, Dobber said:

Never read the comics or know anything about how the story goes but...

Reveal hidden contents

SO FAR...I think it would make a far more interesting story if Becca was a willing participant..ie..paid to create a super with Homelander, instead of the seemingly inevitable confirmation that she was raped.

looking forward to next season for sure!

Chris

Yeah like I said the ending was a doozy, completely different from where the story goes in the comics, such a lovely twist to keep readers on their toes. Also,

Spoiler

Supes are supposed to be sterile, the fact that Becca had a supe baby AT ALL has huge ramifications. Supes are supposed to be a product of Vought-American, owned, created, and managed, it's like Jurassic Park though, life found a way. If supes can be created naturally, that's a HUGE revelation and twist from the comic. The fact that Becca is alive at all is also a HUGE change from the comic, in the comic she absolutely died when birthing the child, and Butcher had to bludgeon the baby to death because it was shooting eye lasers everywhere. What for Butcher now? He was driven in the comic all the way to the end by the death of Becca, now she's alive and well, and has a baby with Homelander, crazy stuff.

I never read the comics, but I finished the show and really like it a lot. I like how all the side plots have meaning and the show is fun without being just a joke. I’ve always hated Aquaman and the Deep is exactly how I would picture him in real life. That ending was so good that I can’t wait for more.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
6 hours ago, badboy00z said:

Does anyone else think it's lame that Homelander isn't strong enough to lift a plane?

IIRC, the issue wasn’t that he isn’t strong enough, but that he had no ground or anything to push off of with just the emptiness of air all around.

Chris