• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, JakCrow said:

I'm looking forward it this. So far Titans is pretty damn good, and Doom Patrol is one of the best shows this year so far. Funny how DC/WB does way better with their TV shows than they have with their movies.

The bold bit can't be stated enough, outside Chernobyl on HBO, Doom Patrol is unquestionably the finest thing on TV this year so far, it's kind of absurd how amazing this first season was. And now I need Brendan Fraser back, just in general, back, he is hilarious, and quite brilliant on Doom Patrol.

On the topic of Swamp Thing, I'VE NEVER BEEN MORE ON BOARD FOR A SHOW EVER. It looks phenomenal, scary, bloody, everything Swamp Thing should be. Also, as per this newest trailer, did I catch a little glimpse of Blue Devil? I have no idea he was in this, that's even more awesome.

37 minutes ago, Tking22 said:

The bold bit can't be stated enough, outside Chernobyl on HBO, Doom Patrol is unquestionably the finest thing on TV this year so far, it's kind of absurd how amazing this first season was. And now I need Brendan Fraser back, just in general, back, he is hilarious, and quite brilliant on Doom Patrol.

On the topic of Swamp Thing, I'VE NEVER BEEN MORE ON BOARD FOR A SHOW EVER. It looks phenomenal, scary, bloody, everything Swamp Thing should be. Also, as per this newest trailer, did I catch a little glimpse of Blue Devil? I have no idea he was in this, that's even more awesome.

When I realized they were basically doing a TV version of Grant Morrison's run on Doom Patrol, I was sold. And it's hilarious.

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, hachi said:

And the reason why it was canceled made me shake my head. I was never into DC series but this one looked interesting.

Seems like Warners/DC was banking on $40 million (half of the production budget) being given as a grant by the state of North Carolina, but there were screw ups in paperwork and they only finally saw $13M of that. This tweet thread, I think, will go down in entertainment history just for them amount of behind-the-scenes info it lays bare:

Edited by Mazinger

That sucks, that really, really sucks. The first episode was fantastic, the gore and scare factor was right where it needed to be to do a proper Swamp Thing show, I loved the first episode and had really high hopes for the rest of the short, 10 episode season. Wow, how shitty, cancelled due to, essentially, a stupid clerical error.

Either way, WB wasn't left with many options except to shut it down. Moving production so late would add additional costs. Refiling paperwork to restart production in a different state would have taken time and you can't keep cast and crew waiting around for a year. The tax rebate money in North Carolina is likely spoken for already so good luck getting additional rebate money WB thought they would be getting.

1 hour ago, JakCrow said:

There's a whole host of issues I have with how the WB was expecting tax payers to foot half the bill for a show WB could fund itself.

What WB did is actually how most shows and movies are made. Hell, how most businesses seems to be attracted to certain areas. Avengers: Endgame filmed mostly in Georgia thanks to tax breaks in Georgia. That movie had a budget of 350+ million. But thanks to tax breaks, that number went down. Tax breaks are really why filmmaking seems to occur in specific parts of the country. States and cities  lower taxes on businesses to attract the business to those area. More jobs in an area brings other businesses. More business, more money to the area. Where Amazon set up a 2nd HQ was based on where land was cheap and who offered the most tax break incentives. 

On 6/7/2019 at 4:45 PM, azrael said:

What WB did is actually how most shows and movies are made. Hell, how most businesses seems to be attracted to certain areas. Avengers: Endgame filmed mostly in Georgia thanks to tax breaks in Georgia. That movie had a budget of 350+ million. But thanks to tax breaks, that number went down. Tax breaks are really why filmmaking seems to occur in specific parts of the country. States and cities  lower taxes on businesses to attract the business to those area. More jobs in an area brings other businesses. More business, more money to the area. Where Amazon set up a 2nd HQ was based on where land was cheap and who offered the most tax break incentives. 

This doesn't change my opinion. A company that didn't even pay it's full taxes last year took its toys and went home when it couldn't get the amount of money it wanted from the state of NC. I don't believe the additional costs couldn't have been written off as well. Also, the idea the show couldn't have been relocated for the next season which would have been a year out is laughable.

Edit: looks like the claim that the studio wasn't going to get the tax break may be fake

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/the-week-in-geek-x-men-ends-swamp-thing-ends-vertigo-maybe-ends

"The rumor was that NC did not actually have the money to make good on said rebate. According to the director of the North Carolina film office, Guy Gaster, that is not the case. In an email to io9, he insisted, "Once their audit is completed to verify the production’s qualified spends, the rebate will be paid as agreed upon.""

Edited by JakCrow