Only if they start off the show with Bespin being covered in a bunch of white walls and no windows (like the original film release).

And then Lando comes in and says, “Who’s stupid idea was it to make this place so enclosed and claustrophobic?!  We’re up in the clouds!  Put some damn windows up in here!”

5 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Me too.  I'd take a Solo mini-series to tie-up the "cliffhanger" that eventually leads up to Obi-wan's and Maul's final meeting

They can add more to the story, but it shouldn’t contradict anything that happened in Rebels.

That ending between Maul and Obi is too perfect already.  No need to muck it up.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/23/2020 at 4:11 PM, renegadeleader1 said:

EDIT: The only way I think they could hook an audience for this show is if the opening moments are of him surviving Rogue One and being interrogated by Imperials, and the pre Rogue One material is him giving up information. The audience would then be hooked by wondering how did he survive, did Jyn Erso survive, and can he be rescued from imperial hands?

I find this interesting.  If they should that in the trailer, I'd be hooked.

4 hours ago, sh9000 said:

3 hours ago, jvmacross said:

I really don't care for ANY movie sequel trilogy characters...the only "sequel" characters I want to follow are currently in The Mandalorian

Kind of wish Star Wars would leave prequel stories alone for any established characters. I'm all for stories set in the past but I don't want to see Kylo's backstory given how I know how his story ends. And while I totally care about Rey, Finn and Poe I'd rather see their stories continue, not what 10 year old Rey was doing in the desert or Poe's time as a spice runner.

My hope is that they don't wait until the actors are old and grey limiting the type of story that can be told with the characters...a la Luke, Leia and Han. That is if they can entice Boyega and Isaac back to Star Wars at all.

-b.

13 hours ago, Kanedas Bike said:

Kind of wish Star Wars would leave prequel stories alone for any established characters. I'm all for stories set in the past but I don't want to see Kylo's backstory given how I know how his story ends. And while I totally care about Rey, Finn and Poe I'd rather see their stories continue, not what 10 year old Rey was doing in the desert or Poe's time as a spice runner.

My hope is that they don't wait until the actors are old and grey limiting the type of story that can be told with the characters...a la Luke, Leia and Han. That is if they can entice Boyega and Isaac back to Star Wars at all.

-b.

With the Deep Fake tech getting better and better, even fans can go back and make their own special editions.  Dropping Harrison Ford's face in Solo, Peter Cushing and Carrie Fisher's Face in Rogue One.  Pretty amazing stuff from fans, and I guess the de-aging tech will only improve.

1 hour ago, peter said:

With the Deep Fake tech getting better and better, even fans can go back and make their own special editions.  Dropping Harrison Ford's face in Solo, Peter Cushing and Carrie Fisher's Face in Rogue One.  Pretty amazing stuff from fans, and I guess the de-aging tech will only improve.

Really good point. It might feel "weird" at first but with a little (more) suspension of disbelief that could actually work out well.

As a technology, Deep Fakes can be pretty scary in real-world application, but for Hollywood I agree that it could be amazing. 

-b.

2 hours ago, jvmacross said:

It does seem like it....throwing stuff out there to see how fans react? That's some business model!

So genuinely asking, what would folks prefer?

I get the feeling if Disney didn't put out "feelers" the complaints would center around 'Disney doesn't listen to or care about the "real" fans or some such thing.

Some random story gets "leaked", Disney gauges the reaction and in some part bases their decisions on fandom feedback. In that scenario if fans keep spewing hate that project gets scrapped. And if by some miracle "real" fans give their blessing then maybe a project proceeds along those lines.

I must be missing something so clue me in please.

For the record, even having grown up with Star Wars I'm a casual fan and don't feel so enraged about this stuff. If a show ends up on D+ that I enjoy then I'll watch it, if not then I'll ignore it. The same with movies, video games, books, comics or anything else. Do I have "want-to-see" items on my list, of course, but I'm not going to take to sh!tting on Disney every time what I want doesn't get made.

I didn't write off Star Wars after the generally God-awful prequels with only 2 or 3 bright spots, I'm not going to do it after a middling Solo movie or a Sequel Trilogy that was well-acted with characters I like that simply because the movies didn't deliver a cohesive narrative from start to finish.

-b.

6 minutes ago, Kanedas Bike said:

So genuinely asking, what would folks prefer?

I get the feeling if Disney didn't put out "feelers" the complaints would center around 'Disney doesn't listen to or care about the "real" fans or some such thing.

Some random story gets "leaked", Disney gauges the reaction and in some part bases their decisions on fandom feedback. In that scenario if fans keep spewing hate that project gets scrapped. And if by some miracle "real" fans give their blessing then maybe a project proceeds along those lines.

I must be missing something so clue me in please.

For the record, even having grown up with Star Wars I'm a casual fan and don't feel so enraged about this stuff. If a show ends up on D+ that I enjoy then I'll watch it, if not then I'll ignore it. The same with movies, video games, books, comics or anything else. Do I have "want-to-see" items on my list, of course, but I'm not going to take to sh!tting on Disney every time what I want doesn't get made.

I didn't write off Star Wars after the generally God-awful prequels with only 2 or 3 bright spots, I'm not going to do it after a middling Solo movie or a Sequel Trilogy that was well-acted with characters I like that simply because the movies didn't deliver a cohesive narrative from start to finish.

-b.

I guess the point is that Lucasfilm shouldn't need input from the "fans"...they should already have folks in place that "know" what works and what wouldn't....that seems to be the case with Filoni and Favreau on The Mandalorian...that did not seem to be the case with the Sequel Trilogy showrunners....

9 hours ago, jvmacross said:

I guess the point is that Lucasfilm shouldn't need input from the "fans"...they should already have folks in place that "know" what works and what wouldn't....that seems to be the case with Filoni and Favreau on The Mandalorian...that did not seem to be the case with the Sequel Trilogy showrunners....

You're not wrong about having show runners, or people in place with a road map or plan. But I also don't think it's a bad idea to try to incorporate or listen to the wants of your entire fanbase.

That said, I can absolutely come around to your side of seeing the way that these published stories, if really used as litmus test are dumb. In either instance it's the execution (like the Sequel Trilogy which would have been infinitely better with an actual plan) that is lacking.

And where the planning and action was solid, Clone Wars, The Mandalorian - we have shows and stories that are pretty universally liked by the fan base.

-b.

19 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

https://thedirect.com/article/star-wars-kathleen-kennedy-says-lucasfilm-is-stepping-back-to-assess-future-of-franchise

"...Kennedy admitted Lucasfilm creatives "need the time to step back and really absorb what George [Lucas] has created"

LOL....I guess taking a dump on it was not the correct move!

Are they just.. you know, completely unaware of the concept of learning about a universe before you start writing new entries?

Or.. better yet.. could they have perhaps hired people already familiar with it? :rolleyes: 

Edited by Chronocidal

2 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Are they just.. you know, completely unaware of the concept of learning about a universe before you start writing new entries?

Or.. better yet.. could they have perhaps hired people already familiar with it? :rolleyes: 

Nope, because hiring women and making “progressive” statements is more important to her.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

6 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I almost feel the article is a FAKE.......that statement/admission of disregard for what came before would get any executive fired instantly at any other company.....Disney basically created the Star Wars version of NEW COKE 

Edited by jvmacross

13 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

And yet it was two men pissing on each other that made the mess.

Exactly.  People are quick to jump on Kathleen Kennedy as the scapegoat, but she served exactly the same role in producing Rogue One and The Mandalorian as she did on the sequel trilogy.  We must lay the failures of the ST on writer-directors "Ruin" Johnson and "Jar Jar" Abrams.

1 minute ago, tekering said:

Exactly.  People are quick to jump on Kathleen Kennedy as the scapegoat, but she served exactly the same role in producing Rogue One and The Mandalorian as she did on the sequel trilogy.  We must lay the failures of the ST on writer-directors "Ruin" Johnson and "Jar Jar" Abrams.

But the "buck" has to stop with someone.  She is it.  If it is true that there were multiple "cuts" of TROS she was the one that would have been ultimately responsible for selecting the one that would "work"....and beyond that...she was the lead in the Sequel Trilogy dumpster fire

37 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

And yet it was two men pissing on each other that made the mess.

I’m not letting them off the hook either....particularly Rian....but she is the one that hired them and ok’d their ideas.....again Particularly Rian’s TLJ which really set  things off the rails.

Chris

Can we not rehash the whole  "women, social justice, progressive" argument. Again.

It's not like those are even bad things, let's just stick with the facts that point to poor planning and execution that led to so many people not liking the sequel trilogy. It has not a damn thing to do with gender or wanting to tell a "progressive" story.

And Kathleen Kennedy absolutely shares or even shoulders the blame because she was in charge, that's it. I've been managing people for a long ass time and if one of them does something stupid I'm ultimately responsible to clean up the mess and makes sure that they don't do it again.

-b.

15 minutes ago, Kanedas Bike said:

Can we not rehash the whole  "women, social justice, progressive" argument. Again.

It's not like those are even bad things, let's just stick with the facts that point to poor planning and execution that led to so many people not liking the sequel trilogy. It has not a damn thing to do with gender or wanting to tell a "progressive" story.

And Kathleen Kennedy absolutely shares or even shoulders the blame because she was in charge, that's it. I've been managing people for a long ass time and if one of them does something stupid I'm ultimately responsible to clean up the mess and makes sure that they don't do it again.

-b.

Well she did bring it back up again in the article we are discussing. I’d argue when “social Justice” leans only in 1 direction and is only championed for some...it is a bad thing. Someone’s skin color, gender, etc shouldn’t be the most important thing/defining trait for anyone....nor the main reason to hire someone.

Chris

1 hour ago, Dobber said:

Well she did bring it back up again in the article we are discussing. I’d argue when “social Justice” leans only in 1 direction and is only championed for some...it is a bad thing. Someone’s skin color, gender, etc shouldn’t be the most important thing/defining trait for anyone....nor the main reason to hire someone.

Chris

The fact that it's necessary at all is the bad thing. Social Justice only comes about because groups are under represented or misrepresented to begin with. 

If all you saw of yourself was a slave, criminal, thug, bad guy, damsel, terrorist, idiot, etc., etc., etc., - or didn't see someone like yourself at all even when the story is about YOUR people, then you'd be extremely happy that someone in a position of authority decided to champion your cause. And let me be very clear, forced diversity is still a necessity. Don't be pissed at the people trying to rectify the wrong, be pissed at the folks that made created the situation to begin with.

To the point of Disney + and Star Wars, while I like more of what I dislike of Disney era Star Wars (including good chunks of the ST) they have a lot of work to do to right the ship as it were. But Star Wars is hardly in a position of say, Star Trek, among pop culture and entertainment properties.

-b.