• 1 month later...

I have to ask this, because I'm sure a lot of other people are thinking it, but what's the point of a Cassian Andor prequel to Rogue One? Why should I care or get emotionally involved in a character that we know is going to end up dead on a beach?

You could just as easily go the Mandalorian and hand us a bunch of new characters that are rebel operatives/commandos we can get invested in. There's plenty of more interesting tales you could tell post ANH too. Things like the scramble to evacuate Yavin IV, the search for a new base, establishing Echo Base on Hoth, missions to acquire weapons for the rebellion, or even seeing how the "many bothans died" in order to acquire the second death star's plans. Imagine a commando series that ends with Han Solo picking them for the raid on the Endor shield generator, or even recreating the battle from their point of view!

EDIT: The only way I think they could hook an audience for this show is if the opening moments are of him surviving Rogue One and being interrogated by Imperials, and the pre Rogue One material is him giving up information. The audience would then be hooked by wondering how did he survive, did Jyn Erso survive, and can he be rescued from imperial hands?

Edited by renegadeleader1

3 hours ago, renegadeleader1 said:

I have to ask this, because I'm sure a lot of other people are thinking it, but what's the point of a Cassian Andor prequel to Rogue One? Why should I care or get emotionally involved in a character that we know is going to end up dead on a beach?

What was the point of telling Anakin's story in the prequel trilogy?  Why did we care or get emotionally involved in a character that we knew ended up dead on a funeral pyre?

4 hours ago, tekering said:

What was the point of telling Anakin's story in the prequel trilogy?  Why did we care or get emotionally involved in a character that we knew ended up dead on a funeral pyre?

Not at all the same. Cassian Andor does not in any way shape or form carry the same type of interest as Anakin Skywalker, or as he's more affectionately known as - Lord Vader.

I wonder what the point is as well, but I'll give the the show a go and see how I like it, even though I didn't much care about his character in Rogue One. For my tastes he was a little too  anti-hero, I'd rather see a prequel about Jyn, but oh well. 

-b.

11 hours ago, tekering said:

Lucas said over and over he wanted to show that Vader was not evil all his life and was twisted towards it.  If he had done so with a little (any) more finesse I would have been happy with it.  If he could have done it with the skill that Davros' early days was done would have been great.  And perhaps having a better child actor...  (nothing against the kid but he was a lousy actor)

Edited by Dynaman

20 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

Lucas said over and over he wanted to show that Vader was not evil all his life and was twisted towards it.  If he had done so with a little (any) more finesse I would have been happy with it.  If he could have done it with the skill that Davros' early days was done would have been great.  And perhaps having a better child actor...  (nothing against the kid but he was a lousy actor)

Lucas managed to turn established good actors into lousy actors. :lol:

-b.

Yeah you guys have hit the nail on the head. With Anakin/Vader there always was the compelling question of what made the good man that Obi Wan talked about fall? How did he become twisted and evil, more machine now than man? It's a shame Lucas botched it with ham fisted storytelling, ugly dialogue, and poor directing.

With Cassian what is there to tell? He lived as a cynical rebel operative, and died as a slightly less cynical one. I'm guessing his background involves something cliche like the empire killed his family, or he witnessed/took part in Imperial atrocities so he joined the rebels? The only thing to really look forward to is seeing K-2S0 again.

I'm not a big fan of prequels, pretty much because I already know where the characters and story are ultimately going. That being said, between Cassian and Kenobi, I'd rather watch Kenobi. Cassian is far more of a one movie character, whereas Old Ben has the whole mythos and history behind him that is going back four decades.

It's videos like this, using scenes from the three trilogies together, that really throws the dichotomy into sharp relief.  You see clips from A New Hope, and the nostalgia feels hit you... and then shots from The Phantom Menace, and you cringe... and then images from The Force Awakens, and your brain says "wait, that's not right."

I mean, as much as the prequel trilogy sucked, it's still Star Wars, and that's ingrained in us now.  But Disney's sequel trilogy just... isn't.

I know, they're officially canon -- Lucasfilm is Disney's property, and there's no denying it -- but I just can't accept it.  There's, like, a mental block there.

Is it just me?  :unsure:

6 hours ago, tekering said:

It's videos like this, using scenes from the three trilogies together, that really throws the dichotomy into sharp relief.  You see clips from A New Hope, and the nostalgia feels hit you... and then shots from The Phantom Menace, and you cringe... and then images from The Force Awakens, and your brain says "wait, that's not right."

I mean, as much as the prequel trilogy sucked, it's still Star Wars, and that's ingrained in us now.  But Disney's sequel trilogy just... isn't.

I know, they're officially canon -- Lucasfilm is Disney's property, and there's no denying it -- but I just can't accept it.  There's, like, a mental block there.

24 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

No.....no it isn't. 

Feel very much the opposite. The prequels are what I'd like to forget or that when I see them "don't feel right". Between the cringe worthy acting or the OVER the top reliance on CGI they don't evoke a feeling of nostalgia at all.

I feel very much connected to the Sequel Trilogy, for all of their faults there was a well intended attempt to bring Star Wars forward. Whether or not that succeeded or not is the hotly debated subject among the fandom. And the bottom line, a clearly defined road map in the writer's room would have solved 99% of the ST's issues. 

-b.

12 hours ago, tekering said:

Ya same boat.   I don't care if the PT were badly executed movies.  They were alot more fun and Imaginative than the ST.  ( except tpm but we got darth maul out of it)  clone Wars and rebels are like secret seasoning to make the PT more digestible for me.  

TLJ and TROS were dysfunctional bicker quips fest. Alot of yelling with the worst grand plan I've ever seen. IMO.  It ends with return of the Jedi for me.

I remember watching TPM the first time and thinking 'what was everyone's problem with Jar-Jar?' Then it was on TV the other night just as Qui-Gon was running through the woods with Jar-Jar clinging to him like a bug on a windshield... God that movie is awful... For me, it's one of those best viewed once movies, and really shows how lucky we were that Lucas had such a good supports staff while making ANH. I'd watch the TFA trilogy far more than the prequels.

48 minutes ago, Thom said:

I remember watching TPM the first time and thinking 'what was everyone's problem with Jar-Jar?' Then it was on TV the other night just as Qui-Gon was running through the woods with Jar-Jar clinging to him like a bug on a windshield... God that movie is awful... For me, it's one of those best viewed once movies, and really shows how lucky we were that Lucas had such a good supports staff while making ANH. I'd watch the TFA trilogy far more than the prequels.

The only prequel that stands out is ROTS and its better than the sequels IMHO. The Tragedy of Darth Plagueis The Wise scene is one of my favorite scenes in most of cinema.

Real shame though. ROTS's theme and maturity is how the prequels should have started.

16 hours ago, Thom said:

I like that poster!

No Millennium Falcon, no Jabba the Hutt, no Imperial Stormtroopers, even...!  :vava:

Obviously they thought D-0 was more important.  <_<

37 minutes ago, tekering said:

No Millennium Falcon, no Jabba the Hutt, no Imperial Stormtroopers, even...!  :vava:

Obviously they thought D-0 was more important.  <_<

You forgot to mention... No Ewok, no seacows giving green milk, and NO JAR-JAR...:angry:

That is racism....  or at least animalism   :bad:

Had to look it up to confirm, but it’s from the video game Star Wars Jedi:  Fallen Order. *

Because The Force Unleashed’s theme of “Kicking someone’s ass with the Force” is no longer on-brand for the Mouse.

And Knights of the Old Republic (aka one of the best damn video games) is not part of the part of the Mouse’s official nostalgia remember-berries.

* Haven’t played this game, so not knocking it.  It could be a quality game for all I know.  But it’s just the marketing team’s usual annoying focus on the latest new thang.

Edited by Mog

7 hours ago, sh9000 said:

Leaving all other issues aside, I HATED Russian Dolls, which for most is the big selling point. I couldn’t stand any of the characters, especially the main one. Headland said she writes characters like that on purpose because she is tired of the “perfect” trope. I can respect that stance but I still don’t want to watch a show about despicable people either. I know it puts me in the minority....again....but based solely on her work I am not overwhellemed with joy. 

Chris

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Big if on the above rumor.

Pretty sure I speculated about this in another thread.  But IF we next hear a rumor about some male actor being cast for a key “unspecified role” in the Obi series, then that would add fuel to the speculation that the series will cover the interactions between:

Obi, Anakin, and A’Sharad Hett.

It fits with having flashbacks to their times during the Clone Wars, and it keeps Obi on Tatooine for his primary mission post-Episode III.