5 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Can't trust anything the Emperor says or does....all that matters is his endgame....

Palpatine plays the long game and is opportunistic. Yes, in the end, all that matters is his endgame and he'll pull as many threads as he can until he gets a full bundle of yarn. 

10 minutes ago, azrael said:

Palpatine plays the long game and is opportunistic. Yes, in the end, all that matters is his endgame and he'll pull as many threads as he can until he gets a full bundle of yarn. 

In that sense he’s more or less mastered the dark side

Now that this show is done...

It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good. It's sitting down there with Boba Fett.

Deborah Chow did a good job telling the story, visually. I didn't have a problem with the camera work.

Actors? Fine. No issue there.

Writing.....Oh FFS. I liked the 1st episode. I kinda liked Ep 2 but parts were annoying me. Ep 3, 4, 5 were bleh. I liked the last episode. Like everything in between was....frustrating. Breaking down each episode, I like certain story pieces in each episode, but then the stuff in between started to annoy me. Muddled execution? Yes.
Looking at the writers for this I can see a trend:
Ep 1: Story by : Stuart Beattie and Hossein Amini, Teleplay by: Joby Harold and Hossein Amini and Stuart Beattie
Ep 2: Story by : Stuart Beattie and Hossein Amini, Teleplay by: Joby Harold
Ep 3: Joby Harold & Hannah Friedman and Hossein Amini and Stuart Beattie
Ep 4: Joby Harold & Hannah Friedman
Ep 5: Joby Harold & Andrew Stanton
Ep 6: Story by : Stuart Beattie and Joby Harold & Andrew Stanton, Teleplay by: Joby Harold & Andrew Stanton and Hossein Amini

Like a certain something in the execution...<_<🤨🤔

I would have preferred Obi-wan to have faked a death, at least to the Empire, to get some heat off of him. Vader would have seen through it but at least to the greater universe, he's dead. Having Palps tell Vader to "Let it go" felt a little underwhelming. Though, Vader is now 0-2 so I even admit, his odds are not in his favor now.

Production, FX, VFX...I already addressed it earlier.
Inquisitor make up was absolute garbage. Boba Fett did a great job with make-up and VFX. Jennifer Beals still looks hot, even with Twi'lek makeup. And the Pike Syndicate. That was done really well. Boba Fett riding a rancor looked awesome but WTF happened in Obi-Wan?
Flashback with original actors? Makeup is not enough. You have de-age them with CGI or it doesn't look right. Argh....
Use of night-time fights...argh...It tells me you are trying to hide something which could be done with CGI and good VFX. Don't be lazy.

Characters? Mostly fine. Except for 3rd Sister/Reva. She should have died or come off more injured coming out of the confrontation on the Lars farmstead. For frak's sake, she got stabbed pretty good and she's deflecting with some degree of accuracy? Gimme a break...
I liked Leia but the character kinda dragged on as the show progressed...kinda like the writing...

Okay Andor...no Jedi/Sith. Let's see how you turn out.

5 hours ago, Lolicon said:
  Hide contents

Obi-wan had yet another chance to rid the galaxy of Vader and he just walked away. Again. For reasons.

Everyone that Vader kills after this is on Obi-wan's hands.

Definitely true.  The writers just didn’t know what to do with this. Then again maybe killing Vader would have sent more people to their deaths since a more competent bad guy might have taken over. That grand inquisitor guy had a pretty good idea to destroy the ship Vader let go. Not saying he’s all that either, but at least he’s slightly more rational 

On 6/22/2022 at 12:09 PM, Roy Focker said:

... She's going to grow up to become a hero that defeats the Empire only to mother a monster that's as worst as her own father.

Which happens also in the decanon'd EU.

Though I am 'alright' with this series, it hits all the bad things that I expects from prequels, and why I don't prefer prequels. Though it tries to stay 'in-line' with the rest of the later story, it also has to expand and have its own story that invariably pushes the boundaries of established 'history.' You wonder why this and why that, and does that action somehow fit, and why didn't this character do this...

I'd just prefer they go forward rather than back in story telling, and keep things fresh and unencumbered.

3 hours ago, Roy Focker said:

Batman & Joker = Obi-Wan & Vader.

= Bilbo & Golem..

I enjoyed the final episode the most, hands down. It wrapped up nicely. Awesome lightsaber , force wielding duel ! As others have said, I agree that much of the middle episodes were not all that good. But , overall, I enjoyed it. I do think Obi-Wan should have faked his death, as well, but we know Vader isn't surprised to see him in ANH. And I expect now Obi wan has much to discuss with his old master..

And it was so dark!! Ugh!! When Reva went after Luke into the desert, all my curtains were closed and the lights were off, and all I could see was the glimmer from her eyes and the sweat on her skin! Who watched this after filming and said, 'I can't see sh*t. It's perfect!"

33 minutes ago, Thom said:

And it was so dark!! Ugh!! ...

Uh huh...

On 6/23/2022 at 12:08 PM, azrael said:

Use of night-time fights...argh...It tells me you are trying to hide something which could be done with CGI and good VFX. Don't be lazy.

I had to adjust the gamma on the original video by 25% just to see what they were doing, clearly.

A lot of these newer shows shot in 4K Dolby Vision pretty much require you to watch them in a completely dark room. I keep my Dolby Vision setting on "Bright" for everything on Disney + and don't attempt watching them until after dark with one LED lamp on in the corner of the room dimmed to like 10%.  The directors and people in charge seem to have forgotten that just because they watch everything in darkened editing suites or screening rooms, that somewhere out in the REAL world, people might actually have these things called WINDOWS in their living rooms!:mellow:

1 hour ago, derex3592 said:

A lot of these newer shows shot in 4K Dolby Vision pretty much require you to watch them in a completely dark room. I keep my Dolby Vision setting on "Bright" for everything on Disney + and don't attempt watching them until after dark with one LED lamp on in the corner of the room dimmed to like 10%.  The directors and people in charge seem to have forgotten that just because they watch everything in darkened editing suites or screening rooms, that somewhere out in the REAL world, people might actually have these things called WINDOWS in their living rooms!:mellow:

I honestly didn’t notice. Then again I was watching at midnight on release day as soon as it popped up. I probably will never rewatch this show since it was so bad, but I’ll see if I notice it on something else one of these days 

I usually have problems (needing to turn up gamma quite a bit) with scenes in the dark and didn't have any trouble with the one in Kenobi.  As for not killing Vader, some kind exposition would have helped, maybe having Qui Gon show up just then telling him not to.  (OK, maybe a bad idea but hard to think of anything else).  The bit with young Leia doesn't really mesh with Star Wars either - you think she would have mentioned him helping HER previously...

4 hours ago, Black Valkyrie said:

Wow, I’m rather surprised at how much better that made it! I already liked the fight but that just added that missing “weight” to it.

Chris

Finished it last night. And you lied, that last episode wasn't any better. Can't believe they got away with stealing plot elements and scenes from REBELS. I could go on but ultimately my love for STAR WARS is dead. Not saying I hate it but it'll take a lot for me to be excited about anything Star Wars again.

38 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

Finished it last night. And you lied, that last episode wasn't any better. Can't believe they got away with stealing plot elements and scenes from REBELS. I could go on but ultimately my love for STAR WARS is dead. Not saying I hate it but it'll take a lot for me to be excited about anything Star Wars again.

Actually I warned you. It was a terrible show through to the end. There were a couple episodes that were less bad than others, but as whole, it leaves a hole in the heart

4 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

The bones of a good story are there.  It’s just that the writer allowed his plot ideas and kewl scenes to take precedence over everything else.

Basically, the writer allowed his plot to dictate how the characters will react (even if it’s inconsistent from scene to scene), rather than the characters’ traits guiding where the plot should go.

1 hour ago, Mog said:

The bones of a good story are there.  It’s just that the writer allowed his plot ideas and kewl scenes to take precedence over everything else.

Basically, the writer allowed his plot to dictate how the characters will react (even if it’s inconsistent from scene to scene), rather than the characters’ traits guiding where the plot should go.

Yeah, the bones of a good story are there but the stuff rounding out the product is where it falls flat.

2 hours ago, Mog said:

Personally I don’t think that the kewl scenes landed and the bones of a good story really weren’t there as well.  They put the budget into great actors, but wasted their talent by not giving them a story. They put no effort in the effects, the music and worst of all the writing. I think we’d have been better off without this. 

2 hours ago, Mog said:

In earlier interviews, the head writer more or less indicated that his writing had to adhere to the Lucasfilm Story Group's guidelines on what, to them, would be acceptable to write/depict onscreen....the writer could have gone the "creative differences" route, but perhaps the Star Wars credit to his name was more valuable than leaving the project...good or bad...

Sure, it's bad writing, but how much of it can be attributed to the limitations you are given?

42 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

In earlier interviews, the head writer more or less indicated that his writing had to adhere to the Lucasfilm Story Group's guidelines on what, to them, would be acceptable to write/depict onscreen....the writer could have gone the "creative differences" route, but perhaps the Star Wars credit to his name was more valuable than leaving the project...good or bad...

Sure, it's bad writing, but how much of it can be attributed to the limitations you are given?

I get that there are certain limitations given to the writing staff and you don’t want to quit a show as big as Star Wars. But if they just had people smart enough to say that things aren’t working or to know that people don’t like garbage that this disaster could’ve been avoided.

13 minutes ago, Big s said:

I get that there are certain limitations given to the writing staff and you don’t want to quit a show as big as Star Wars. But if they just had people smart enough to say that things aren’t working or to know that people don’t like garbage that this disaster could’ve been avoided.

I don't think that will happen often...thus the stories we end up hearing about people leaving due to "creative differences"...

At this point, it seems only Filoni-tied projects have a better than average chance of not ending up being complete trash...