5 hours ago, technoblue said:

I also liked how Obi-Wan shows the T-47 in its original role as a light airspeeder.

I was just happy to see an onscreen vehicle I already have a toy of, rather than an onscreen vehicle I know we'll never see a toy of... 😔

the-platform-classic-buckets-list-10-102

Xiono_Doza_Race.jpg.7cb5db744e688e8533841d0b2c2d82f6.jpg

Star Wars: Resistance was nothing but a 40-episode toy commercial for cool Star Wars vehicles that will never see the light of day. 😢

6 hours ago, Bolt said:

That's a good question! I believe "speeder" is quite loosely used in SW. I'd say speeders, of all types, skim the ground quite low and don't have a sealed cockpit. Sand speeders, and speeder bikes being an example . Larger, combat optimized speeders, such as the snow speeder, seem to have the greatest ceiling height. But still have limits. They cant leave the atmosphere or fly in space. But they do have a proper cockpit. I believe what they all have in common is that their intended and primary use is to transport who or whatever at fast speeds low, relative to the terrain.

Thanks for the explanation.

1 hour ago, sh9000 said:

7C4086AB-D2AD-4A80-803E-A8D4E7AA23FA.jpeg.4ba36ac11987d7b6dd6cd0ade154ddb9.jpeg

It was a pretty stupid scene. Although I still overall almost liked the last episode since it’s the only one that Obi did anything heroic . The last two need to be much better or else it’s just gonna be remembered as the worst live action Star Wars failure since the holiday special. And that’s a really low bar.

18 minutes ago, Big s said:

It was a pretty stupid scene. Although I still overall almost liked the last episode since it’s the only one that Obi did anything heroic . The last two need to be much better or else it’s just gonna be remembered as the worst live action Star Wars failure since the holiday special. And that’s a really low bar.

I was assuming Obi-Wan was using his force whammy on all the Imperials to help with the bad disguise. That said, I was also looking for Ewan (the actor) to give us (the audience) a visual cue showing that his character was using the force. Or maybe a CGI effect letting the audience see what a normal stormtrooper was seeing.

I either missed it because it was that subtle or it wasn't there. Obviously, all the dark side force users weren't fooled. Another missed opportunity.

13 hours ago, tekering said:

Star Wars: Resistance was nothing but a 40-episode toy commercial for cool Star Wars vehicles that will never see the light of day. 😢

That series could have been so much more, but one of the good things it did bring to the table were the imaginative vehicle designs. It stinks we didn't see many of them, and only a few were released in LEGO format. I would have loved to see a complete Ace squadron. 

Edited by technoblue

13 hours ago, tekering said:

I was just happy to see an onscreen vehicle I already have a toy of, rather than an onscreen vehicle I know we'll never see a toy of... 😔

Xiono_Doza_Race.jpg.7cb5db744e688e8533841d0b2c2d82f6.jpg

Looks like several Bothan spies also got the secret plans to Ford’s GT40.

3 hours ago, Big s said:

He wasn’t using the force . That’s just another made up excuse for the bad writing on this show, kinda like the excuse that Vader was playing the long game at the end of the last episode when he clearly was angry that Obi got away. 
And the other stupid thing is that they show him walking right past the other inquisitors and they didn’t see the only fat guy in a trench coat with four legs. 

Are you okay, @Big s? Seriously, it's just something that I thought. I wasn't making an excuse for the show. Geesh.

I'm not the one coming into this thread creating infantile names for all these fictional characters.

1 hour ago, technoblue said:

Are you okay, @Big s? Seriously, it's just something that I thought. I wasn't making an excuse for the show. Geesh.

I'm not the one coming into this thread creating infantile names for all these fictional characters.

Sorry about my bad choice of wording here. I’m usually checking on here on a five or ten minute break and I didn’t mean things as a personal attack. Even though now that I’m reading it back that’s probably what I would’ve thought as well. 
I will admit that the bad writing on this show is frustrating to me and I also had that same thought that maybe he was using the force to mask things. But by the time the action starts it became obvious that that was not the case especially since the other inquisitors would’ve sensed things, but they didn’t notice things were pretty odd. The easily could’ve written something as simple as a loading crate with leia hiding inside. This show is one of those that I wanted to be much better even though I came into it with low expectations, so I didn’t set the bar that high for it and we only have two more episodes to go. 

5 hours ago, Big s said:

Sorry about my bad choice of wording here. I’m usually checking on here on a five or ten minute break and I didn’t mean things as a personal attack. Even though now that I’m reading it back that’s probably what I would’ve thought as well. 
I will admit that the bad writing on this show is frustrating to me and I also had that same thought that maybe he was using the force to mask things. But by the time the action starts it became obvious that that was not the case especially since the other inquisitors would’ve sensed things, but they didn’t notice things were pretty odd. The easily could’ve written something as simple as a loading crate with leia hiding inside. This show is one of those that I wanted to be much better even though I came into it with low expectations, so I didn’t set the bar that high for it and we only have two more episodes to go. 

Thanks @Big s. I agree and appreciate this insight.

Like I wrote in my message above, this show has missed opportunities. I'm saddened by how many of them there are. I was willing to shrug off the goofy camera work with young Leia and the way that they wrote her character as borderline bratty/prescient. The stuff with Obi-Wan on Tatooine, even, I was thinking okay what's the real explanation for it all---what ties this, the animated series, and the movies together? Certainly there's more to it than Obi-Wan got scared or Obi-Wan got rusty? Something more to Leia's part in it than the Organas got tricked by a half-wit bounty hunter on some lazy Alderaan afternoon?

But here we are and the show has yet to reconcile these characters to their counterparts in other SW media. And you're right, at the core we should have a good story and this series is treading water at being another middling SW tale. It creates plot holes when ideas should be easy to explain, and it has yet to create any bridging scenes for well-known characters as we see them now to how we will eventually see them when they are older. Honestly, the show could be using its eight episodes to tell us more and fill us in about these events but instead we are getting what amounts to a surface-level CRPG mission plot with about as much exposition.

The coat thing? Man, I guess don't know what the creative team was playing at with those shenanigans. My other thought is maybe this is a nod to Luke and Han hauling Chewbacca about the Death Star? Where the only one who noticed that Luke was too short in his stormtrooper armour was Leia? Yeah, it's a stretch but it's all I got. The thing about such nostalgia references, if true, is that they need to fit the plot for them to work. And they should also be somewhat obvious. If they're forced in, or if they ask the audience to think too much about the punchline, they fall apart. This one falls apart fast and we're left wondering if the creative team has any idea how to write a story with kids acting around adults.  

For me, the only thing this series has established is that Obi-Wan fled to become Ben the hermit and skulk around Luke after Order 66 and his fight with Anakin. What's frustrating is that none of this is new information. The show could have gone anywhere using that as its foundation. Sadly, even though I think the choice to follow Obi-Wan and Leia around is an interesting one, I'm still waiting for the show to tell me something else about these characters---to enrich them in some way. Honestly, I would even be happy if the show turned its focus on one of the side characters involved with the Jedi underground railroad or even the Inquisitors. I mean what is up with the Third Sister? What is her deal and why does she thirst for the rank of Grand Inquisitor? We really should already have an inkling about these details.

Edited by technoblue

10 minutes ago, technoblue said:

Thanks @Big s. I agree and appreciate this insight.

Like I wrote in my message above, this show has missed opportunities. I'm saddened by how many of them there are. I was willing to shrug off the goofy camera work with young Leia and the way that they wrote her character as borderline bratty/prescient. The stuff with Obi-Wan on Tatooine, even, I was thinking okay what's the real explanation for it all---what ties this, the animated series, and the movies together? Certainly there's more to it than Obi-Wan got scared or Obi-Wan got rusty? Something more to Leia's part in it than the Organas got tricked by a half-wit bounty hunter on some lazy Alderaan afternoon?

But here we are and the show has yet to reconcile these characters to their counterparts in other SW media. And you're right, at the core we should have a good story and this series is treading water at being another middling SW tale. It creates plot holes when ideas should be easy to explain, and it has yet to create any bridging scenes for well-known characters as we see them now to how we will eventually see them when they are older. Honestly, the show could be using its eight episodes to tell us more and fill us in about these events but instead we are getting what amounts to a surface-level CRPG mission plot with about as much exposition.

The coat thing? Man, I guess don't know what the creative team was playing at with those shenanigans. My other thought is maybe this is a nod to Luke and Han hauling Chewbacca about the Death Star? Where the only one who noticed that Luke was too short in his stormtrooper armour was Leia? Yeah, it's a stretch but it's all I got. The thing about such nostalgia references, if true, is that they need to fit the plot for them to work. And they should also be somewhat obvious. If they're forced in, or if they ask the audience to think too much about the punchline, they fall apart. This one falls apart fast and we're left wondering if the creative team has any idea how to write a story with kids acting around adults.  

For me, the only thing this series has established is that Obi-Wan fled to become Ben the hermit and skulk around Luke after Order 66 and his fight with Anakin. What's frustrating is that none of this is new information. The show could have gone anywhere using that as its foundation. Sadly, even though I think the choice to follow Obi-Wan and Leia around is an interesting one, I'm still waiting for the show to tell me something else about these characters---to enrich them in some way. Honestly, I would even be happy if the show turned its focus on one of the side characters involved with the Jedi underground railroad or even the Inquisitors. I mean what is up with the Third Sister? What is her deal and why does she thirst for the rank of Grand Inquisitor? We really should already have an inkling about these details.

This show definitely has a lot of us grasping at straws to try and figure out how things could go so bad with a show. 3 out of six episodes for me were bad and the fourth was ok. I don’t see how they can cram enough info for people to care about reva and finish this mess. I’m hoping for a miracle and the next two episodes will change things and actually be good. Obi was the saving grace for the prequel films and this series so far is turning him into a joke in ways that were not intended.

At least I got a new episode of the Boys to look forward to at the end of the week and stranger things in a few weeks. D+ needs to get their act together with these Star Wars shows. The marvel ones are ok for what they are, but I was so excited for live action Star Wars shows and other than Mandalorian, they’re a let down.

Episode 5 was another meh episode. This show really looks cheap.

Spoiler

Vader grabbing a ship mid flight was pure cheese. And the he can’t grab the second one. I didn’t know princesses were trained to be electricians at 10. And why would they bury a breaker? So reva was mad that Vader killed younglings, so she killed younglings and entire families.

There’s more to complain about in this one for sure. One episode left and I don’t think it’s gonna be worth it.

So 5/6 of the way in, and the most frustrating issue with this is that there’s too much plotting and not enough story.

The overall story/premise is alright, but the plot keeps getting in the way.  It’s like someone’s writing for a video game (setting up obvious roadblocks/set-backs), rather than for a TV show.

Yeah, the ep cleared up a few issues, but it feels like this show is just bouncing Obi from Point A to Point B to Point C without any growth for the character.

59 minutes ago, Mog said:

So 5/6 of the way in, and the most frustrating issue with this is that there’s too much plotting and not enough story.

The overall story/premise is alright, but the plot keeps getting in the way.  It’s like someone’s writing for a video game (setting up obvious roadblocks/set-backs), rather than for a TV show.

Yeah, the ep cleared up a few issues, but it feels like this show is just bouncing Obi from Point A to Point B to Point C without any growth for the character.

I don’t think that the writers had any idea what to do. Either that or someone convinced them that a show about Obi Wan Kenobi writes itself. This show really is a waste of talent. The actors really seem to be trying and they don’t seem to be phoning it in.

Episode 5 was predictable and still didn't look cinematic. If only they took another year for writing, cut the running time and give it a bigger budget. Make it a 90- minute movie instead of a multi-episode season. A short story that lets you revisit this character without causing continuity issues or look to cheap. I think I just described Solo a Star Wars Story.  Even that movie could have been good.

Not sure if that part of episode 5 was a flashback or a Jedi mental fight between Anakin and Obi. Seemed to take place around Attack of the Clones because Obi referred to Anakin as a Padawan. They didn't de-age Hayden so he looked about 40 and Obi had a cheap looking wig. 

Much better would be a story where Obi Wan showed up for part of an episode.  Then people would have been freaking out over him showing up...  (without advertising he would be in it and not making him take up the last 3 or 4 episodes from the "main" character)

Still won't comment on story since we still have another week of this.

Production values I will address. If you're gonna do flashback scenes with the original actors, DE-AGE their faces. I can see the lines on Hayden's face, not to mention his more rounded face compared to 20-something Hayden. Jeez, if some keyboard warrior can spend 2 housr to de-age someone, you guys who do this for 8-hours a day and get paid to do it can too.

54 minutes ago, azrael said:

Still won't comment on story since we still have another week of this.

Production values I will address. If you're gonna do flashback scenes with the original actors, DE-AGE their faces. I can see the lines on Hayden's face, not to mention his more rounded face compared to 20-something Hayden. Jeez, if some keyboard warrior can spend 2 housr to de-age someone, you guys who do this for 8-hours a day and get paid to do it can too.

Hayden actually looked older than Ewen in that scene 

32 minutes ago, technoblue said:

And here I was thinking this series had 7 to 8 episodes like Boba and Mando. I was off on that total. 

yup, only six and so far, no really good episodes. This thing better have an epic finish because so far the last trilogy was a better watch. 

6 hours ago, Roy Focker said:

They didn't de-age Hayden so he looked about 40 and Obi had a cheap looking wig. 

That brought some much-needed levity to the series for me.  It's been entirely too serious in tone for such a cartoonish aesthetic (and plot!), so when young Anakin was revealed I literally laughed out loud.  I laughed even louder when they cut to Obi-Wan in that wig. 🤣

This material would've been a lot more fun if they'd presented it as a comedy.

Who the heck is doing the VFX for these Star Wars shows? They screwed up Hamill in The Mandalorian, only to fix him Boba Fett. Now they screwed up Hayden. Conventional makeup only hides sooooo much.

8 minutes ago, tekering said:

I laughed even louder when they cut to Obi-Wan in that wig. 🤣

Which is funny. Mcgregor actually had to wear a wig and fake beard when they did reshoots for AOTC. He grew the mullet and beard to film principal for AOTC then had to cut it all off and film principal for Black Hawk Down, then he went back to do the reshoots on AOTC sporting the standard military haircut.

1 hour ago, azrael said:

Who the heck is doing the VFX for these Star Wars shows? They screwed up Hamill in The Mandalorian, only to fix him Boba Fett. Now they screwed up Hayden. Conventional makeup only hides sooooo much.

Which is funny. Mcgregor actually had to wear a wig and fake beard when they did reshoots for AOTC. He grew the mullet and beard to film principal for AOTC then had to cut it all off and film principal for Black Hawk Down, then he went back to do the reshoots on AOTC sporting the standard military haircut.

Between us, so far the only ones involved in this show that kinda get a pass are the actors. The effects are trash and the writing is trash. Obi deserves better 

I don't think the show is trash, forgettable pretty much covers it.  I wasn't hoping for more but actually expecting much worse.  Some of the complaints I don't agree with either - sure Ben is not acting like a hero Jedi - Hero Jedi get NOTICED and that is the last thing he wants to have happen.  I think the show did (well Ewen did) a good job showing his inner termoil at wanting to help and knowing that doing so is the worst thing he can do at the moment.  Where the show falls apart is having none of the existing Jedi apparently be smart enough to start a resistance group or two on their own.  Part of THAT is due to Star Wars (the original without roman numerals) make it clear there were no Jedi left except Ben and Yoda - so the Rebel Alliance has nobody with force abilities working with them.  Worse is all the Inquisitors running around with EVERYONE seeming to know who they are and being afraid of them while Star Wars made it plain that most people had no clue there were any force users left.

I'm rambling, to sum up - to do a prequel with known characters was a landmine strewn path (yup, I mentioned that before) 

1 hour ago, Dynaman said:

I'm rambling, to sum up - to do a prequel with known characters was a landmine strewn path

I have to agree with that. They can’t seem to be able to get established characters right. The writers that they hired just don’t know how to do that. 

Just finished watching the new episode. The story was okay. The effects really do need some help. Apart form the flashback scenes that have already been mentioned, there is that one scene where Vader is using his force hold powers... It was neat, but the whole bit was diminished for me since what was going on looked disconnected from the background. These are quality touches that maybe could have been added if the artists had been given enough time? I don't know. It's out of my wheelhouse.

Now, this may be too much to ask of SW at this point, but I do wonder if any of the remaining pre-ANH series will explain what happened to the Inquisitors since they just blip out of existence by the time of the Rebellion?