16 hours ago, Big s said:

I still think it was odd how many hits those storm troopers took from a lightsaber.

Comparable to how many hits characters (non-beskar wearing characters) were taking from blasters in that last episode of The Book of Boba Fett?

3 hours ago, Podtastic said:

Comparable to how many hits characters (non-beskar wearing characters) were taking from blasters in that last episode of The Book of Boba Fett?

I was actually comparing that to the fact that that spy slapping them was more effective 

2 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Was that last OWK episode the first live action display of lightsabers against Galactic Empire Era Stormtroopers?

Yeah, and it was a galactic fail. Obi would have had more success if he just slapped them. Kinda wondering if those endless will smith memes are coming back after this episode.

Now that I think of it he did use it a little last episode when he used the farmer as a shield because he was a total coward then.

1 minute ago, Big s said:

Yeah, and it was a galactic fail. Obi would have had more success if he just slapped them. Kinda wondering if those endless will smith memes are coming back after this episode.

Now that I think of it he did use it a little last episode when he used the farmer as a shield because he was a total coward then.

It's funny because I have finally got around to playing Fallen Order and the scenes immediately reminded me of the game....in fact, the episode played out much like a game level....except no boss to battle at the end...just hoards of moronic imperials....why did they get rid of Clone troopers again?

Also....did the episode also elude to Darth Vader's existence being common knowledge among "imperial resistance" groups?  Golly!

This series just keeps getting worse...

14 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

It's funny because I have finally got around to playing Fallen Order and the scenes immediately reminded me of the game....in fact, the episode played out much like a game level....except no boss to battle at the end...just hoards of moronic imperials....why did they get rid of Clone troopers again?

Also....did the episode also elude to Darth Vader's existence being common knowledge among "imperial resistance" groups?  Golly!

This series just keeps getting worse...

Oddly, to me this was the best episode. It breaks canon and a lot of stupid things happen, but at least Obi did something  heroic for the first time in four episodes of his own damn show. But this show is still a dumpster fire overall and the writers should be fired.

btw for anyone defending Vader by saying he was playing the long game by purposefully letting obi go at the end of the last episode, this one proves that that was not the case. He was genuinely angry and started blaming turd sister for her failure. Even Vader sucks in this show 

35 minutes ago, Big s said:

btw for anyone defending Vader by saying he was playing the long game by purposefully letting obi go at the end of the last episode, this one proves that that was not the case. He was genuinely angry and started blaming turd sister for her failure. Even Vader sucks in this show 

Yep....this show just  keeps getting worse...

2 hours ago, Dobber said:

Good lord, the snow speeder attack was so bad in this episode. Just horrible effects. WTH Disney???

Chris

The show started off looking a bit cheap to begin with and that scene looked really bad . Did the speeders change size here and there? I saw a few clips after watching the episode and they looked like they shift sizes. I guess the other question is more for the bigger fans, are these snowspeeders? Or are they any different? Also, could they hover? I don’t know why they wouldn’t, but I don’t remember them ever doing that in anything previous.

I enjoyed this particular episode more than the others. Overall, this series isn't as awesome as it could be. But I'm still enjoying the ride. 

13 minutes ago, Big s said:

I guess the other question is more for the bigger fans, are these snowspeeders? Or are they any different? Also, could they hover? I don’t know why they wouldn’t, but I don’t remember them ever doing that in anything previous.

The airframe is the same as a snow speeder. But it's probably different under the hood. In the SW universe, we see these in various environments and missions. In fact, I believe the snow speeders themselves were originally modified for Hoth conditions.  While I don't own any SW technical books , I'm just speaking from watching and reading other content.

43 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Just finished Jedi: Fallen Order....

Security seems to have gotten way worse since the last debacle at Fortress Inquisitorius...;)

To that I will point to this Kanan's comment from Rebels:

4 hours ago, Big s said:

I guess the other question is more for the bigger fans, are these snowspeeders? Or are they any different? Also, could they hover? I don’t know why they wouldn’t, but I don’t remember them ever doing that in anything previous.

When they first take off in Episode IV it is not due to any kind of lift from air over the wings so they can hover or at the very least move up and forward very slowly.  Being that they are flying vehicles "snow" was always a nonsensical description to being with.

5 hours ago, Dynaman said:

Being that they are flying vehicles "snow" was always a nonsensical description to being with.

They became known as snow speeders because of the modifications needed to deal with the extreme cold atmospheric conditions of Hoth. Anything sharing the same airframe would be called something else.

1 hour ago, sh9000 said:

Yes , in the comics Vos ' escape from order 66 is told. And some important events in his life afterwards. I'll spare the spoilers . 😉 Though it does, IMO, leave room for him to pop up every now and then . 

Edited by Bolt

10 hours ago, Bolt said:

They became known as snow speeders because of the modifications needed to deal with the extreme cold atmospheric conditions of Hoth. Anything sharing the same airframe would be called something else.

The upper atmosphere of any planet is COLD.  So for a flying vehicle to need modification to operate in cold weather is nonsensical.   Bein Star Wars where people can exist with just a loose fitting air mask in space I guess nonsensical is not such a problem.

44 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

The upper atmosphere of any planet is COLD.  So for a flying vehicle to need modification to operate in cold weather is nonsensical.   Bein Star Wars where people can exist with just a loose fitting air mask in space I guess nonsensical is not such a problem.

Lol. You watched ESB right? The surface temperature of Hoth is way colder , they didn't even fly them at night ,("your Taun taun will freeze before you reach the first marker!")  And where they entered the mother ship, It was just above the clouds in Obi wan, not even that high .  And I don't think we've ever seen these operating in space or stratospheric conditions.
Snow speeder was an appropriate name as they were flying and skimming over snow on Hoth. The point being, they were called snow speeders based on where they were being operated and maintained.

Oh and here's another one , if you want . What was Lukes speeder called in ANH?😜

Edited by Bolt

What classifies something as a speeder? The bikes barely hover above the ground and that car in the first film also floated low. The snow speeders seemed to get a bit higher, but I wasn’t sure if they could fly airplane heights. I’m not as well informed about Star Wars tech as a lot of others here are.

I agree with @Dobber. I also liked how Obi-Wan shows the T-47 in its original role as a light airspeeder. That was cool and unexpected. But I do wish the creative team had used props or some hybrid effects for that scene to cut down on the sloppy CGI. I think an improved presentation would have added more impact. I mean, the scene was also showing how strong in the dark side the Inquisitors are.  There was a lot going on, it deserved a larger chunk of the budget.

But to stress some of what was already noted above, the snowspeeders in The Empire Strikes Back are T-47s that the Rebels modified to be able to work in the severe climate of Hoth. Remember, they were hiding there after destroying the first Death Star because the Empire had initiated an aggressive counter-offensive. The movie even notes that the speeders didn't work great in Hoth's climate and the ground crews were tweaking them to be as efficient as possible right up until the point that the Empire sent AT-ATs in their ground assault.

And ship modifications aren't a new thing in SW either. The X-Wing itself received a number of updates over the movies and animated series, which is why we have the T-65, T-70, and T-85.

Edited by technoblue

2 hours ago, Big s said:

What classifies something as a speeder?

That's a good question! I believe "speeder" is quite loosely used in SW. I'd say speeders, of all types, skim the ground quite low and don't have a sealed cockpit. Sand speeders, and speeder bikes being an example . Larger, combat optimized speeders, such as the snow speeder, seem to have the greatest ceiling height. But still have limits. They cant leave the atmosphere or fly in space. But they do have a proper cockpit. I believe what they all have in common is that their intended and primary use is to transport who or whatever at fast speeds low, relative to the terrain.

8 hours ago, Bolt said:

Lol. You watched ESB right? The surface temperature of Hoth is way colder ,

As I said, it is a movie series where people can live in Space with just an oxygen mask.  The idea it is colder on Hoth at any time then in the upper atmosphere is pure nonsense.

Oh and here's another one , if you want . What was Lukes speeder called in ANH?😜

Carnival ride 101...