Star Wars Celebration 2022 started today. 🤷‍♂️
* The Mandalorian season 3 trailer should be posted soon; premieres Feb 2023.
https://twitter.com/themandalorian/status/1529898551748087808

* A new series, Star Wars: Skeleton Crew TV series will be coming to Disney+ in 2023 as well.
slack_imgs.0.jpg

Those at the keynote were also presented with theme to Obi-Wan Kenobi, which most of us will hear later.

Okay, this was a good start.

For once, Star Wars got a well-casted kid.

Kinda “duh” how they got Ben out.  But let’s see how this all pans out.

Reva’s solid.  I actually stumbled into watching a bit of The Queen’s Gambit right before watching Obi and was reminded of how good the actress is.

Spoiler

And now we know why this Grand Inquisitor looks nothing like the Grand Inquisitor from Rebels! 😜

Also, love the old vet’s cameo.

Lastly, Deborah Chow was definitely taking notes and “gets” what makes Star Wars work.

I didn't realise that this is a scene from Wedge's Gamble until I saw the SSD taking off.

On 5/25/2022 at 5:37 PM, Roy Focker said:

I just wished they used actual people for the pilots.

I like that its full CG. You don't have to try and convince yourself that those aren't CG spaceships the live actors are piloting.

Short Spoiler free review.

Montage of the prequels almost made me forgot how bad they were. In my head canon the prequels don't exists but a young Obi-Wan looks and acts like he did in the prequels. Same goes with Palps. Highlight of the show is Obi-Wan. Everything else as statement in the above post - Looks cheap. That Tatooine town set was featured so heavily in Book of Boba it just doesn't look good enough. Nothing feels or looks cinematic. Villains have zero personality and lack that evil presence. This might have to do with cheapness of the production.  Cheap works for The Mandalorian because that's what it started off as. He wasn't out saving the Galaxy. That show introduced him as struggling bounty hunter of backwater planet. Obi-Wan is a character that has always been in big budget movies. Remember the Young Indiana Jones TV show? Harrison Ford made a cameo in one episode.  Single episodes of that show didn't have the same budget as a movie.  Imagine if Ford's appearance wasn't just a cameo but he was in the entire episode. Some characters deserve more. I do like the in-universe reason for Obi-Wan's adventure for the series, but these two episodes do raise some questions.  Of the did they retcon that? Sorta things. 

6 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

So this explains why ANDOR looks good while OBI-WAN looks cheap in comparison IMO. I think stagecraft looked great for The Mandalorian but Obi-Wan deserves better quality for such a huge Star Wars character.

https://www.ign.com/articles/andor-no-stagecraft-disney-star-wars

Considering Obi-Wan and Boba Fett both filmed in late 2020 and location filming was..heavily restricted. I think they made good with what they had. Obi-Wan doesn't need expansive landscape shots for a guy who's supposed to be maintaining a low profile.

Spoilerish comments on Ep 1&2

Spoiler
  • Gonna need to update the Order 66 montage...again.
  • I see they're making use of Temura Morrison...
  • I like how Leia is portrayed and the actress playing her. She's sassy and a handful. A nice counter to Obi-wan's run-&-hide attitude.
  • Reva's death forthcoming. Either by pissing off Vader (Vader hates suck-ups as much as he hates incompetence) or by the Grand Inquisitor after he gets outta the hospital. Kidnapping a senator's daughter attracts way too much political attention which I'm sure even the Emperor would disapprove of.

Counterpoints:

Spoiler

* Got that SOB Obi out of hiding, didn’t it?

* Used bounty hunters to do her dirty work, so plausible deniability.

* Inquisitor 1.0 couldn’t get the job done after 10 years.  And if he really is Rebels’ Inquisitor, well, that dude was bested by a battle-tested Padawan.  Not a full-on Jedi Knight, but a regular Padawan.  So, the pissed off Third Sister doesn’t have much to fear.

* Bail ain’t gonna snitch about Leia being abducted, especially if he has to explain WHO got her back.

I think the look is fine for the most part.  The problem is with the clothing and makeup work on the Inquisitors.  THEY look fake.  Of course that is a big problem when they are so prominent in the show.  I found it decent and fun to watch, not really asking for more than that.

Spoiler

Going to have to do a mind wipe on Leia or something.  In Star Wars she does not show any indication of PERSONALLY knowing Obi Wan Kenobi.  As for Obi Wan not knowing about Leia being an alternative to Luke - the abilities she shows in this show should have clued him in to her ability with the force being there as well.  They probably can still pass it off as her being more like her mother at this point.

This strikes me as a latter-day sequel to Revenge of the Sith... with all the storytelling quality that implies. 😒

The actors are doing a better job this time, at least, but this still ranks a lot closer to Book of Boba Fett than The Mandalorian

Watching Obi-Wan chase a little girl around in Blade Runner got old REAL quick. 😑

On 5/27/2022 at 3:30 AM, Podtastic said:

I didn't realise that this is a scene from Wedge's Gamble until I saw the SSD taking off.

I like that its full CG. You don't have to try and convince yourself that those aren't CG spaceships the live actors are piloting.

I'd pay good money to see those novels realized as any sort of series, animated, live, or whatever.

Think that scene was a mashup of the books though, since the SSD didn't leave until the end of the third book.  Definitely more chaotic than made sense, but still impressive to see the detail that went into it.

Edit: Reminds me that I need to re-read those books again, got the events out of order.  The battle over Coruscant was Wedge's Gamble, the Lusankya exit was at the end of The Krytos Trap.

Though, I also realized later that the pilots are using the Wraith callsign, which didn't even exist until the fifth book, so... :lol: 

Edited by Chronocidal

I honestly wasn't expecting greatness from this Obi Wan series. That's the mistake of most SW fans these days.  So i was quite happy to sit back and watch.. Many an Easter egg and cameo , I enjoyed. And watching a beat down ( for 10 years!) Obi Wan was interesting. I'll definitely keep watching. And for everyone who's got problems with the series , so far, who's NOT gonna watch more ? 🤔

Edited by Bolt

17 hours ago, tekering said:

Watching Obi-Wan chase a little girl around in Blade Runner got old REAL quick. 😑

Both her kidnapping and rescue are horribly paced and shot, it looks like a bunch of adults playing "I'm gonna get you" with a toddler.  Star Wars should have learned better than to rely on a 10 year old actor. 

12 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I'd pay good money to see those novels realized as any sort of series, animated, live, or whatever.

As would I, but with a few changes. Have the Imperials NOT be written as retarded.  And DONT have Capital ships being regularly blown with ease by single starfighters.

I guess I will have to buy into an Obi Wan that in the 10 years since he found out his "brother" turned into Darth Vader that he has not heard of his existence or evil deeds across the galaxy at the service of the Emperor....:unknw:

Still, I suppose the show still has 4 episodes to go.........perhaps Bail thought it was best to keep that info from Obi Wan? 

Which leads me to some thoughts about Andor.......Vader's got to be in it right?  Perhaps even the Emperor?

3 hours ago, levzloi said:

Both her kidnapping and rescue are horribly paced and shot, it looks like a bunch of adults playing "I'm gonna get you" with a toddler.  Star Wars should have learned better than to rely on a 10 year old actor. 

Though the scene has problems none of them are due to the acting.

I mean this is

Spoiler

Leia we’re talking about.  She’s not exactly known for being a damsel in distress and has a tendency to rescue her own damn self.

The other stuff I can excuse as being a 10-year old, on her first off-world adventure.

The first episode is totally boring. The sons one was more annoying than good. I hate those cheesy inquisitors and the kid. I would’ve loved to see Ben just kill her and go back home. A land back to the stupid inquisitors taking 10 years to come up with a stupid plan. The turd sister wasting time trying to look fancy jumping all over in the most cringy of flippy flips  gets out run by a ten year old just because she did a simpler way of jumping across the buildings and then she wastes her time again after being told not to waste time. She’s like dark side jar jar, and the kid is like sassy jar jar.

8 hours ago, jvmacross said:

I guess I will have to buy into an Obi Wan that in the 10 years since he found out his "brother" turned into Darth Vader that he has not heard of his existence or evil deeds across the galaxy at the service of the Emperor....:unknw:

Spoiler

I would imagine Vaders identity would be quite a secret. Like who's privy to this info, within the empire? I'm even surprised the inquisitor knows. Or is she an exception? 

Hearing of Vaders existence is one thing, knowing his identity his another.

Edited by Bolt

2 hours ago, azrael said:

I guess something has to pass between the seasons of Bad Batch. Gotta keep 'dem animators employed.

Read about this a few weeks back. There is some good comic book content that covers this. I hope we get to see some in animated form. 

10 minutes ago, Bolt said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I would imagine Vaders identity would be quite a secret. Like who's privy to this info, within the empire? I'm even surprised the inquisitor knows. Or is she an exception? 

Yeah I was under that impression as well.

10 minutes ago, Bolt said:
  Hide contents

The turd sister seems to have an odd ability to read minds. Yet still takes her a decade to find obi wan 

2 minutes ago, Big s said:

The turd sister seems to have an odd ability to read minds. Yet still takes her a decade to find obi wan 

Perhaps it's just weaker minds. And it would still require close proximity. She couldn't read Owen's mind. 

2 hours ago, Bolt said:

Perhaps it's just weaker minds. And it would still require close proximity. She couldn't read Owen's mind. 

She did read his mind a bit. She knew he knew something. She just didn’t get to far because she was interrupted. Either that or she took a damn good guess