41 minutes ago, kalvasflam said:

To the nugget this week, where the titular badass show up at the last minute to have an epic fight cause He was too cool to fight with the rest of the posse… just to be beaten down by an old dude way past his prime.

Having gone to such pains to make Boba the good guy, Cad Bane had to assume the bad guy role... and the obligatory climactic showdown naturally led to a foregone conclusion. <_<

Frankly, I hadn't wanted to see the bad guy win this badly since Avatar. 🙄

9 hours ago, Roy Focker said:

Many fans only follow live action stuff.  We don’t read all the books, comics or watch the cartoons.  If additional homework is needed to understand things that means your show is lacking.

Your observations have been right on the money, man, but I've gotta call you out for hypocrisy here.  Sure, many fans only follow the movies, and don't concern themselves with secondary media -- I remember being confused by Niobe in The Matrix Reloaded, not having played Enter the Matrix -- but this is just another Star Wars spin-off TV show, and much less significant to the saga than The Clone Wars was.

Dave Filoni, having written and produced Rebels, The Bad Batch, and The Mandalorian (not to mention the aforementioned Clone Wars) has kept the Star Wars saga alive, consistently producing content superior to any of the live-action films since the '80s.  Working closely with Lucas himself, he's incorporated all the best elements of the franchise as a whole, maintaining a very strict continuity over decades of content.  Disney, at the same time, has casually disregarded everything but what they could regurgitate from the original trilogy.  Under Kathleen Kennedy, the sequel trilogy was so badly mismanaged that, were it not for Dave Filoni, Star Wars would be on life-support now.

And yes, you're correct; many fans only follow live-action stuff, and look down on "cartoons."  However, we anime fans consider ourselves more enlightened than that.  As a Macross World moderator, I'd have expected you to show more respect to animated media. :huh:

13 hours ago, Mog said:

t’s clear there’s history between him and Boba

If there is I've never heard of it. 

11 hours ago, TehPW said:

2) on the subject of DVDs resulting from a completed series

2a): Are DVDs still a thing?

Better be DVD or Blu-Ray. I don't want to have wasted my time watching a fart in the wind.

10 hours ago, Roy Focker said:

Many fans only follow live action stuff.  We don’t read all the books, comics or watch the cartoons

Which is why hollyweird and others get away with butchered live action versions of comic classics.  They have tabula rasa they can sell their inferior garbage to.

10 hours ago, Roy Focker said:

If additional homework is needed to understand things that means your show is lacking.

I get it, however...

Are fans really that lazy nowadays? Back in the day half the fun of comic collecting was tracking down the back issues to learn what you did not know about your favourite series.

Now we have the internet which makes that "homework" not only quick and easy, but also free.

^^There was an unproduced Clone Wars ep, where a young Boba and Cad were supposed to have a duel.  Boba gets head-shotted and that was supposed to explain why his helmet got the dent.

Not sure if there were other Clone War eps where they interacted prior to that.  But I think the implication was that Boba learned some of the bounty hunting trade from Cad back in the day.

Again, it would have been nice for them to elaborate a little on their back history.  Fennec's and Cad's too.  But who has time for the story when they have to get to the next action set piece? :rolleyes:

Yes, there's some history with Boba and Cad. But if they had to go back and explain all the connection points , we'd be stuck in flashbacks forever. Take Black Krrsantan for example. He's in the comics and has a bit of history with Boba. And what about Bo-Katan , from the Mandalorian? My point being, there's always been cameos and backstories in Star Wars. It's part of the fun and world building. Having been a big fan for so long and a comic and book reader, I'm pretty familiar with most things Star Wars . But if i see something I don't know or recognize, i look it up. Because i love to connect the dots in SW. 😎unfortunately, the obvious downside to that is seeing the inconsistencies and plot holes that creep up..😭

Edited by Bolt

1 hour ago, Convectuoso said:

Please, keep Robert Rodríguez away from the Filoniverse!

It's really not fair to hold Rodriguez responsible for the shortcomings of The Book of Boba Fett.  His success directing Chapter 14 of The Mandalorian (the only second-season episode to have a perfect 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, incidentally) proved he could make Boba Fett a badass again, and it's only really the shortcomings of Jon Favreau's writing that have weakened Fett's character.  Favreau's the only credited writer on the series, and even Temuera Morrison has complained about the excessive dialogue in Favreau's scripts, preferring the strong, silent characterization of the OT Boba.  Rodriguez could only work with what's on the page. :unknw:

Fun star wars things happened:

- Saw Boba Fett get out of the Sarlacc pit.

- Got to meet Sand People & learn more about them than just yelling, sabotaging races & rapimg Smee to death.

- Grogu got to train a bit with Luke.

- Luke started down his bad teacher path.

- Grevius Chef droid attack.

- Rankor rampage.

- Pimped out Naboo starfighter.

- The Armorer is still kickin' & staunchly upholding "The Way."

- Bib Fortuna is finally dead.

I'd call this show a success.

21 hours ago, TehPW said:

2) on the subject of DVDs resulting from a completed series

2a): Are DVDs still a thing?

Let's just say don't hold your breath waiting for physical media. There are listings but no release dates. Disney is likely giving it's 'net shows a very wide window to pull in numbers to Disney+. Think YEARS.

4 hours ago, tekering said:

It's really not fair to hold Rodriguez responsible for the shortcomings of The Book of Boba Fett.  His success directing Chapter 14 of The Mandalorian (the only second-season episode to have a perfect 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, incidentally) proved he could make Boba Fett a badass again, and it's only really the shortcomings of Jon Favreau's writing that have weakened Fett's character.  Favreau's the only credited writer on the series, and even Temuera Morrison has complained about the excessive dialogue in Favreau's scripts, preferring the strong, silent characterization of the OT Boba.  Rodriguez could only work with what's on the page. :unknw:

Totally agree.

2 hours ago, Keith said:

Fun star wars things happened:

- Saw Boba Fett get out of the Sarlacc pit.

- Got to meet Sand People & learn more about them than just yelling, sabotaging races & rapimg Smee to death.

- Grogu got to train a bit with Luke.

- Luke started down his bad teacher path.

- Grevius Chef droid attack.

- Rankor rampage.

- Pimped out Naboo starfighter.

- The Armorer is still kickin' & staunchly upholding "The Way."

- Bib Fortuna is finally dead.

I'd call this show a success.

lol. Also agree .

Haha, the drinker pretty much hit this right on the head.  

I do think it would have benefitted Disney to do a Fennec series instead, as long as they keep her character the same and we don’t find out that she is also a single mother with several adapted kids (non human of course… cause… diversity) one of whom aspires to follow in her footsteps but she’d prefer college and a profession as a lawyer or a doctor instead.   Haha, talking about loading up a show with stereotypes.

certainly, a Fennec show would parallel an Ashoka show with a strong female lead.  (Another box for Disney to check in the age of virtue signaling)

3 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

Haha, the drinker pretty much hit this right on the head.  

I do think it would have benefitted Disney to do a Fennec series instead, as long as they keep her character the same and we don’t find out that she is also a single mother with several adapted kids (non human of course… cause… diversity) one of whom aspires to follow in her footsteps but she’d prefer college and a profession as a lawyer or a doctor instead.   Haha, talking about loading up a show with stereotypes.

certainly, a Fennec show would parallel an Ashoka show with a strong female lead.  (Another box for Disney to check in the age of virtue signaling)

Why is it "loading up on stereotypes" or "another box to check" if it's a female led series or includes some kind of diversiry? You do realize that implied inverse of that is that a non-diverse male led series is somehow a "norm" being diverted from.

Just sayin'.

6 hours ago, Keith said:

Why is it "loading up on stereotypes" or "another box to check" if it's a female led series or includes some kind of diversiry? You do realize that implied inverse of that is that a non-diverse male led series is somehow a "norm" being diverted from.

Just sayin'.

The loading up on stereotypes comment isn't about Fennec being the lead character... its about the rest of the stuff I shoved in on what shouldn't be in a Fennec led show.  Sorry, should've spelled that out more clearly.  Especially the part of preferring profession as a lawyer or a doctor.

As for diversity, I'm all for it... bring on multiple strong female characters, and while you're at it, do one on Finn, whose job is straight up screaming "Reyyyyyyyyyyyyyy" every 30 seconds, or Rose... whose trait is... uhhhh... being strong and willful.   Obviously, the point here is that what they needed to do with Boba or any other series was actually have an interesting story, not the garbage that came out of it.  But hey, at least he shot Bib Fortuna, that was an upside.   Oh wait, that wasn't even in this show... ha ha.

BTW,  shoving Mando into the middle of the Boba series was definitely not a reaction to the audience feedback, I figured they had this stuff written and all shot long before the first episode was ever released, my guess is that the whole thing was pulled in because they were either universe building or they decided that the Boba story was so damned boring that they have to bring in the cameo cannon to keep up interest.  Literally, how the heck did anyone take one of the more interesting Star Wars character, and just mess him up so badly.

Edited by Roy Focker
Mod Edit on a name change.

15 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

The loading up on stereotypes comment isn't about Fennec being the lead character... its about the rest of the stuff I shoved in on what shouldn't be in a Fennec led show.  

I was diggin what you were plantin.

Disney has been a cereal "box checker". I don't think even with a female led series that they could help themselves and would check as many boxes as they could before their #2 pencil wore out. I.E., shameless and transparent pandering that ruins the content because it's so obvious. They kill everything organic.

4 hours ago, sqidd said:

I was diggin what you were plantin.

Disney has been a cereal "box checker". I don't think even with a female led series that they could help themselves and would check as many boxes as they could before their #2 pencil wore out. I.E., shameless and transparent pandering that ruins the content because it's so obvious. They kill everything organic.

The real sad part is, even with the ending at Mando season 2, Boba could have been a kick ass show.  It could have weaved back into the rest of the SW world seamlessly.  Heck, you could've even had an encounter between Boba and Luke one day and make that pay off.  But instead...

I can't wait until Kenobi meets Boba on Tatooine.  🤮

Honestly, I think it’s best that they try to do original characters rather than back stories and side stories using established characters. I’d rather see an original character in some other part of the galaxy that rarely deals with cameo appearances. Everyone just ends up disappointed or totally angry with these revisits. I’m not saying that it would have been impossible to make a great Boba Fett show or Han Solo movie, but somehow they always kinda mess things up when doing these. Mando is far better since there isn’t that pre attachment to the character and the smaller cameo scenes aren’t bad.

Everyone complains that this isn’t how Boba should act or Han Solo’s backstory is ruined and Darth Vader was a whiny b****. It makes me a bit worried about the next couple shows coming up

I wonder how long Boba's rule is going to last.  Didn't he say no more spice?  Tatooine doesn't have anything going for it besides being on route for drug smuggling.  Take away the spice trade and all cantinas, docking bays will go along with it.  Moisture farming alone isn't enough to keep everything going. No legitimate business will pay Fett tribute/protection money if there's no spice smugglers that need their ships serviced. Citizens will turn against him because the local economy collapse since he took over.

59 minutes ago, electric indigo said:

they may have lead to the idea that the shows write themselves if you basically stick these "wouldn't it be cool..." scenes together

Actually, that idea existed before The Mandalorian...

Before Star Wars... 

Before Godzilla, even.

Hell, wuxia films were doing it a century ago! 😅

e5edc80f-0f48-4881-9390-fff62d3bef87_f98

9 hours ago, electric indigo said:

Did the term "fan fiction" exist back then?

Don't know if the term existed but the idea had to have been practiced in the pulps.  Schlock was there bread and butter.  Granted there were a number of great stories released as well but without the schlock even the pulps would not be profitable.