Kickstarter: Megazone 23

3 hours ago, RavenHawk said:

Might want to post in the most recently active thread:

Started about the various toys coming out, but conversations about the Kickstarter too.

Yeah, went through your MZ23 thread and no that crowd-funding by AIC ( https://camp-fire.jp/projects/view/65101#menu )is not this KS, though feel free to repost that RJW is about to, I assume, start a KS for MZ23.  That's been his M.O. to drop a quiet footnote near the end of his KS what his new projects going to be, from BGC to Otaku No Video to Bean Bandit to GSM.  Think I created a new thread for each as soon as each footnote appeared in his updates.  AIC's crowdfund attempt sucks as only 19 people bought in.  This KS hasn't even started yet as Robert J Woodhead hasn't finished his KS for GunSmithCats and each of his Blu-Ray KS attempts number at least a thousand.  

3 hours ago, technoblue said:

Yeah, that was a bombshell of a footnote. Classic Woodhead. Now my anticipation for his next crowdfunding project is up near Bubblegum Crisis levels.

Looking forward to more news on the original Megazone OVAs, and (hopefully) some cool perks,

He's getting good at doing his version of Apples, "Oh...one last thing..."  

On 4/9/2019 at 10:21 PM, technoblue said:

Yeah, that was a bombshell of a footnote. Classic Woodhead. Now my anticipation for his next crowdfunding project is up near Bubblegum Crisis levels.

Looking forward to more news on the original Megazone OVAs, and (hopefully) some cool perks,

This guy has an odd sense of humor. But I've purchased many of his projects since I was a kid. I just got into Megazone 23 so I'm really excited about the extras he puts together more than anything else. He continues to make better and better Kickstarters since Bubblegum Crisis OVA, which I will continue to say is a shame. But Megazone 23 will be the true test of making an Ultimate Edition. If it is on the level of the "Explosive Edition" of Gunsmith Cats. Then he'll have my money and we'll be in for something special.

I'm also curious to see if he has any cels from Megazone 23 that he will auction. He seemed to auction the good Bubblegum Crash cels recently. I missed winning a good Megazone 23 Part 1 cel and background in the last month or so. I didn't think there would be that much interest but I was wrong.

2 hours ago, JetJockey said:

This guy has an odd sense of humor. But I've purchased many of his projects since I was a kid. I just got into Megazone 23 so I'm really excited about the extras he puts together more than anything else. He continues to make better and better Kickstarters since Bubblegum Crisis OVA, which I will continue to say is a shame. But Megazone 23 will be the true test of making an Ultimate Edition. If it is on the level of the "Explosive Edition" of Gunsmith Cats. Then he'll have my money and we'll be in for something special.

Yeah, I'm crossing my fingers hoping that we see more improvements with Megazone 23. I've made my peace with Bubblegum Crisis. The blu-ray content is a treat to these old eyes, and that's what I'll keep coming back to. The perks weren't much of a bonus, true; I mean I don't have any use for the patch or coin and I agree that it would be cool to turn the clock back and get a mini art book or something more glamorous, but it is what it is. The up side to that whole situation is we didn't get a gaffe like we did with the old M2K DVD pressing: actual disc errors.

That would have resulted in a backer riot.

Edited by technoblue

9 hours ago, technoblue said:

Yeah, I'm crossing my fingers hoping that we see more improvements with Megazone 23. I've made my peace with Bubblegum Crisis. The blu-ray content is a treat to these old eyes, and that's what I'll keep coming back to. The perks weren't much of a bonus, true; I mean I don't have any use for the patch or coin and I agree that it would be cool to turn the clock back and get a mini art book or something more glamorous, but it is what it is. The up side to that whole situation is we didn't get a gaffe like we did with the old M2K DVD pressing: actual disc errors.

That would have resulted in a backer riot.

Here is the Japanese Blu-ray release along with an image from a member here who has it.

Megazone_23_Blu-ray_01.jpg.9458eec1e45e48b3b3f1e295d7686816.jpg

Megazone_23_Blu-ray_02.jpg.9b2077c005c34fb75f93d030f80b0858.jpg

I hope we'll get something at least close to this. I got the old DVD set off ebay fairly cheap because it didn't have the mousepad which I didn't need. But that set had posters in each DVD. Along with a case to hold all three DVDs. That case will be easy but I'm looking forward to see the artwork that he uses. If it will be a new commission or not. Also, if he manages to make posters, I would like a poster of each version of Eve singing.

Here is the cel I missed.

Megazone_23_Part_1_Eve_Singing_on_TV_Cel.jpg.7fc974200155579a7f3f5064721ae320.jpg

I thought it would be an easy win but I was wrong. I'll get the next one I hope.

• 2 months later...

Hmm. Decisions to make.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/madoverlord/195531049?ref=8rt0sh&token=31a1a1a2

Is it just me, or do others not like Mikimoto's new art style that much? I see someone posted about it on Animeigo's twitter.

Edited by JetJockey

16 hours ago, JetJockey said:

Hmm. Decisions to make.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/madoverlord/195531049?ref=8rt0sh&token=31a1a1a2

Is it just me, or do others not like Mikimoto's new art style that much? I see someone posted about it on Animeigo's twitter.

I'm the opposite. I really enjoy Mikimoto's character art old and new, even the style he used in Kabaneri. I would love to be able pledge for a shikishi bonus. Alas, I think it may be out of my range this time due to other real-life expenses adding up. I may try for the signed canvas print if enough slots are open for it. That would be a very cool boost to my usual patreon pledge (and worth the extra buckazoids). We'll see how it goes. ;)  

The shikishi is way too much for me. I wonder how much it will drop during the campaign if it doesn't sell out fast? I would tend to get artwork in print over a sketch since you don't know if the sketch will turn out well or not. Compared to when an artist does work for companies. But I guess it's because I've seen some really rough sketches from comic book artists that people paid a lot for.

On 7/11/2019 at 11:52 PM, JetJockey said:

The shikishi is way too much for me. I wonder how much it will drop during the campaign if it doesn't sell out fast? I would tend to get artwork in print over a sketch since you don't know if the sketch will turn out well or not. Compared to when an artist does work for companies. But I guess it's because I've seen some really rough sketches from comic book artists that people paid a lot for.

The shikishi is too much for me too. It's just one of those bucket list things that I would like to have the chance to do someday. Perhaps another opportunity will come along that isn't so pricey? IIRC, Woodhead's other campaigns had similar artwork bonuses that dropped in price overtime. I can't remember what the final price was on those for the life of me, though. I will be surprised if either of the shikishi pledges for the Megazone23 campaign last longer than a week.

In any case, I'm glad to see that there are more "art" options for this campaign. If I'm unable to pledge in time for the signed canvas print, I will definitely grab the smaller art add-on. I'm hoping that the smaller version isn't as limited as the other art bonuses. In any case, it will be a good compromise if everything works out.

On 7/13/2019 at 1:07 AM, technoblue said:

The shikishi is too much for me too. It's just one of those bucket list things that I would like to have the chance to do someday. Perhaps another opportunity will come along that isn't so pricey? IIRC, Woodhead's other campaigns had similar artwork bonuses that dropped in price overtime. I can't remember what the final price was on those for the life of me, though. I will be surprised if either of the shikishi pledges for the Megazone23 campaign last longer than a week.

In any case, I'm glad to see that there are more "art" options for this campaign. If I'm unable to pledge in time for the signed canvas print, I will definitely grab the smaller art add-on. I'm hoping that the smaller version isn't as limited as the other art bonuses. In any case, it will be a good compromise if everything works out.

Did you see the Mikimoto Gunbuster hanken auction?

I would go after something like that over a shikishi. Do you know if Mikimoto still does sketches at conventions? I recall seeing a few of his sketches before. I think the Gunsmith Cats Kickstarter had a sketch art option from Kenichi Sonoda. But I know HappyConsoleGamer got a few sketches I think for free at a convention.

Edited by JetJockey

19 hours ago, JetJockey said:

Did you see the Mikimoto Gunbuster hanken auction?

I would go after something like that over a shikishi. Do you know if Mikimoto still does sketches at conventions? I recall seeing a few of his sketches before. I think the Gunsmith Cats Kickstarter had a sketch art option from Kenichi Sonoda. But I know HappyConsoleGamer got a few sketches I think for free at a convention.

Alas, I did miss that Gunbuster cel auction and I'm not sure if Mikimoto is doing sketches at conventions. I haven't been to one myself in a number of years, although I would like to attend Anime Boston next year while I'm still local.

The sketch art idea is pretty cool. I'll have to remember that if I decide to start collecting artwork. At the moment, I like to browse the cel art collections that people share here, but I haven't started one of my own. It's a little daunting since the well maintained/popular cel collections get pricey fast.

3 hours ago, technoblue said:

Alas, I did miss that Gunbuster cel auction and I'm not sure if Mikimoto is doing sketches at conventions. I haven't been to one myself in a number of years, although I would like to attend Anime Boston next year while I'm still local.

The sketch art idea is pretty cool. I'll have to remember that if I decide to start collecting artwork. At the moment, I like to browse the cel art collections that people share here, but I haven't started one of my own. It's a little daunting since the well maintained/popular cel collections get pricey fast.

Good cels and sketches are so rare that the prices can get crazy fast. Although there are some Megazone 23 cels on Yahoo Japan auctions right now. And I think most Megazone 23 collectors might be after cels and sketches from Part 1 more than Parts 2 and 3. Still since I've been searching only after seeing Megazone in the last year or so. I haven't seen any good cels that I'm after from Parts 2 or 3 yet.

These have been up for the while but the starting prices are probably stopping people. The first one at $550+

51593889_evecel1.jpg.8c122da7e2c3f973e79ed77b8545b600.jpg

https://www.rinkya.com/en/auction-k396496180

And another at $700.

401107645_evecel2.jpg.a5088bf48d015643d80b867f9b9ff914.jpg

https://www.rinkya.com/en/auction-t639140677

Edited by JetJockey

4 hours ago, Fortress_Maximus said:

@JetJockey This is not the cel discussion thread.  Post cel discussions here http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/forum/42-collectors/

My understanding is that the 'Collections' subtopic is for other Macross stuff not included in the Toys, Games, Model Kits, and Workshop subtopics. JetJockey posted the two Megazone 23 cel auctions (which I assume are not his own) so that anyone who is interested can bid on them. It's simple really, we started talking about the popularity of Mikimoto's current work and then went on to talk more about specifics. I'm happy that another fan of Mikimoto is willing to share their source for this stuff.

Is this really something to bicker about? 

Anyway, I don't think JetJockey should be called out for it. It's on-topic Megazone 23, it's art, and there isn't really any other place for it. 

Let's all remember Shawn's new forum behavior post and just move on, yeah?

That said will certainly support this project as I've done for all of AnimEigos' previous ones; going to sign up for Pearlescent Patron.  Anyone else signing up for this level or another?

Like I noted earlier, I would have loved to be able to pledge to the Purrfect/Pearlescent Patron to get the shikishi bonus. It's out of my budget this time, sadly, with all of the other stuff hitting this summer. I am hopeful of being able to pledge to the Unicron-style Portrait Patron. If that doesn't work out, then I'll stick to the regular Patron and get the smaller sized portrait that they are including as an add-on. 

Edited by technoblue

No the cels in auction aren't mine. I'm not in Japan. Just alerting members here of options.

Hopefully with Wonder Fest next week, we might get some vintage character figures. I always look for original Dirty Pair, Macross, Megazone, and other characters. I don't know why they aren't making an improved Eve figure with all the Garland toys companies are working on.

Anyway, there is this old gallery of nice Megazone cels.

http://www.animanga.com/cels/gallery/yann/megazone.html

I'm sure I either posted or mentioned HappyConsoleGamer's Megazone video in one of the other topics around here.

I know he showed his anime record collection with the Megazone records too. I know someone mentioned him on Animiego's twitter when they announced the project. So he will probably have another Megazone video coming up.

Edited by JetJockey

I think someone posted about this in the toy topic. But someone in Japan made a video tour of this Megazone 23 pop up shop.

Edited by JetJockey

On 7/21/2019 at 3:23 AM, tekering said:

Damn, that was two months ago.  :(

I forgot about it myself. It was just when HappyConsoleGamer posted a pick up video with stuff from the shop, that I remembered someone posted about it here in the Megazone toy topic.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/10/2019 at 8:57 PM, Dangard Ace said:

Update from KS Gunsmith Cats

In other news…

The kickstarter for our next project, the Megazone 23 Omega Edition, will go live at 5pm ET on Saturday, September 17th! 

15 hours ago, technoblue said:

Woah! Thanks for the reminder, Keith. Somehow I got my wires crossed and thought the campaign started in September. :o

Happily locked in now.

That's probably why.

12 hours ago, Sandman said:

Unfortunately not available in Canada. 

That may change, they're still locking down territorial coverage with the licensor. Hopefully the fact that it hit just shy of the target goal ($100,000) in under 24 hours will help things along.