10 hours ago, Bolt said:

They should give this one an R rating and double down. 

I’ve heard it is going to be R rated and it’ll be a hard R at that.

Chris

Kinda burned out on superhero movies in general, but this looks like it might actually be pretty interesting if they stay away from the special effects extravaganza shenanigans.

10 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Kinda burned out on superhero movies in general, but this looks like it might actually be pretty interesting if they stay away from the special effects extravaganza shenanigans.

I agree with all of this.

Edited by Dobber

1 hour ago, hutch said:

I’m burned out on nothing and hope that the Joker transforms into a giant robot tiger and attacks Gotham City only to be beaten back by Krypto

Isn't the first part of that kind of what happens in the Batman-in-fuedal-Japan anime?

1 hour ago, kajnrig said:

Isn't the first part of that kind of what happens in the Batman-in-fuedal-Japan anime?

Lol that's the first thing that I thought of. Didn't EVERY villain in that movie have near magical combining super robots made from, like, buildings and castles and stuff?

• 4 months later...
4 hours ago, Knight26 said:

Looks interesting, but reinforces the idea, in my head, that he is not "The Joker" but someone taking on the mantle.

Agreed. There's been a thread in the comics lately that Batman hasn't been dealing with 1 Joker, but several Jokers over the years. This Arthur Peck character is just another in the string of Jokers to take on that mantle. Madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is at little push. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The first story i can recall ,about the jokers origins , was A Killing Joke. It appeared to be set in the 30's. 

Todd Phillips has , admittedly, created this joker story without any consideration for the comics. Instead, he's created a story that tells where someone like The Joker might come from. 

He is also expecting angry fans..

6 minutes ago, Bolt said:

The first story i can recall ,about the jokers origins , was A Killing Joke. It appeared to be set in the 30's. 

Todd Phillips has , admittedly, created this joker story without any consideration for the comics. Instead, he's created a story that tells where someone like The Joker might come from. 

He is also expecting angry fans..

This movie looks to appeal to non-fans.

This movie appears to have only a tenuous and tangential relationship to the its comic book namesake.  From the two trailers released thus far, it comes across, to me, as a psychological character study of one man's descent into purposeful madness.  As such, it stands alone, grounded and disconnected from the DCU, and gets the benefit of not only being its own thing, but very interesting to boot.

2 hours ago, azrael said:

Agreed. There's been a thread in the comics lately that Batman hasn't been dealing with 1 Joker, but several Jokers over the years. This Arthur Peck character is just another in the string of Jokers to take on that mantle. Madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is at little push. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I was just thinking about that: that the "Joker" isn't one person, but a type. much like "the Unicron effect" is described in various Transformers universes where even without a link to the multiversal Unicron, one can arise due to the fact that "Unicron" is woven into the fabric of reality. In that vein, it's plausible that "Joker" is a force of nature woven into the various worlds of DCU and expresses itself in various individuals at a time. Almost like a "spirit of insanity" that is impersonal and "infects" susceptible people who then become these "Jokers".

Ya... while it seems interesting and well acted. And the R rating will give it more weight and depth of reality...i don't see myself going to the theater for this one.

It's going to premiere this week at the Venice film festival. Will be curious to see what the critics , fans and non fans alike, will make of this.

1 hour ago, mechaninac said:

This movie appears to have only a tenuous and tangential relationship to the its comic book namesake.  From the two trailers released thus far, it comes across, to me, as a psychological character study of one man's descent into purposeful madness.  As such, it stands alone, grounded and disconnected from the DCU, and gets the benefit of not only being its own thing, but very interesting to boot.

Agreed 3000%.

12 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

This movie looks to appeal to non-fans.

That would be me. And this looks like it could be good. I like him as an actor a LOT. And it looks like this is going to be weird (in a good way).

Did the trailer remind anyone a little bit of Fight Club? Not the fighting of course, The social atmosphere. Basically Tyler Durden as even more of a whack job. And as far as I'm concerned, anything "Fight Club" is a good thing.

I'm a massive DC fan and this looks interesting to me, Joaquin Phoenix is an amazing actor and I'm sure he'll have a pretty great spin on the character. At this point the DC connected universe is full of holes and patches, stand alone and elseworld movies like this just make sense, they will NEVER have an MCU. I'll probably see this opening night. 

crap < good catch forum bot> I need to see this in a theater now.

I'm managed to catch all the big Marvel movies at home this year.  I didn't even watch Endgame in theater, more for lack of opportunity than anything else.

But this, I think I need to see it on the big screen.

Edited by Mazinger

1 minute ago, Mazinger said:

crap < good catch forum bot> I need to see this in a theater now.

I'm managed to catch all the big Marvel movies at home this year.  I didn't even watch Endgame in theater, more for lack of opportunity than anything else.

But this, I think I need to see it on the big screen.

I'm with you. I see, at most, one movie on the big screen per year. ell, two this year. Godzilla, and this.

• 4 weeks later...

Completely worth the money. Saw it last night.

it is a bit slow in parts but one on the best movies of the year in my opinion.

The movie convinces you to believe in this particular characterized dystopian past and I can see why many modern Americans would fear this movie views on it. To many, it will ring a bell close to home.

The acting is superb.

Edited by 007-vf1