• 3 weeks later...

Looks good. Very much enjoyed the first season. Love the platform- easy to binge a few eps at a time, or just one (if you're attention deprived like me), and it allows for a nice variety of stories and visual styles. Also, I assume it's a good way for new or unknown artists to get their work out to a broader audience.

• 2 weeks later...

I also watched it.  I thought it it was a good mix of quirky to thought-provoking. The last ep, Drowned Giant, was interesting- I could see things happening that way if such a thing actually occurred. If nothing else, it was more a study of human behavior with the subject a MacGuffin around which to build the storyteller's insights. Honestly, I think he let humanity off easy.

Snow in the Desert was one of those that gives just enough info in an engaging way that makes you want more. They could build a cool series around this ep, I think. Combine it with the world of Lucky 13 from the first season, and maybe Life Hutch from second, and you'd have a good start on an interesting world in which to tell some cool stories.

The most striking thing about this season is its brevity; the first season had 18 eps, and S2 only 8.  S1 had more room to explore deeper and more dramatic ideas, with little bits of quirkiness in between. S2 had more quirk than profundity. Hopefully, there'll be a season three, and now that we're emerging from the pandemic, it'll get another 18 eps with more profound musings as in the first season. I could do with more stuff in the vein of Zima Blue, Beyond the Aquila Rift, Good Hunting, and Lucky 13. These are all closed stories, but the worlds they depict draw you in and make you want more. 

This season had some really unique art throughout. Kinda weird is a good way to describe it. The stories felt mostly derivative to me, but the stand-out gems were Ice, Snow in the Desert, The Tall Grass, and Life Hutch. The Drowned Giant did not stick its landing, IMO. I thought Life Hutch would have been a better bookend. 

Really, the last episode was a mess....spoilers ahead...

Spoiler

This is Gulliver's Travel's in Lilliput gone wrong trying to divert the audience's attention with its first-person narration. The problem is that the icons that flash in the beginning give away the intention that the writers are not interested in any deep philosophy. They are not juxtaposing the decomposition of a whale with that of a giant man, civilization, or anything else. They are simply shipping a very tired penis joke and taking 14 minutes to get to the punch line.

HaHa. Good on them. <_<

12 hours ago, technoblue said:

This season had some really unique art throughout. Kinda weird is a good way to describe it. The stories felt mostly derivative to me, but the stand-out gems were Ice, Snow in the Desert, The Tall Grass, and Life Hutch. The Drowned Giant did not stick its landing, IMO. I thought Life Hutch would have been a better bookend. 

Really, the last episode was a mess....spoilers ahead...

Hide contents

This is Gulliver's Travel's in Lilliput gone wrong trying to divert the audience's attention with its first-person narration. The problem is that the icons that flash in the beginning give away the intention that the writers are not interested in any deep philosophy. They are not juxtaposing the decomposition of a whale with that of a giant man, civilization, or anything else. They are simply shipping a very tired penis joke and taking 14 minutes to get to the punch line.

HaHa. Good on them. <_<

Spoiler

I don't recall the icons at the beginning; I'll have to give it another watch. My takeaway was as I mentioned: humanity acting in poor taste towards a dead, albeit very large, man simply b/c his size differentiates him from us. Rather than covering him and leaving him alone until a proper burial (one would think burial at sea would be appropriate, as well as the easiest method) can be arranged, they leave him exposed and treat him like a big jungle gym until decomposition begins to take its toll. I saw the ep as a very cynical look at humanity and its callousness towards someone who's different. The same trope has been covered in sci-fi in any number of ways (ugly but good aliens being mistrusted and destroyed after humanity allies itself to the attractive but evil aliens, etc). It's an allegory about prejudice and humanity's unseemly tendencies. And a very large penis at the end.^_^ 

2 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Finished season 2 and while Snow in the Desert was technically amazing to watch the season as a whole was rather weak when compared to the first. Almost half-assed IMHO really. I think Netflix is losing it.

Yeah, I think things suffered for being released too early. Netflix needed more quality shorts. Instead of standing on its own merits, this season felt like the B-side of season 1.

Edited by technoblue

The first season was definitely better and had more episodes to give more variety. Oddly enough this season was really short and had the same story told twice in the same season, but one was a comedic take on the helper robot malfunctioning and the other was a more serious version of the same thing, oddly at about the same time as Netflix put a full length cg feature film with the same basic idea

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Awesome! Very stoked. 

16 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

Makes me miss my HEAVY METAL magazine subscription, lol.

16 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

Makes me miss my HEAVY METAL magazine subscription, lol.

That's definitely the point 😉

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, easnoddy said:

Night of the mini dead was my favorite. Liked season 3 much better than season 2.

I liked that one as well. It was like a parody of those zombie survival phone games they always advertise on YouTube.

12 hours ago, Big s said:

I liked that one as well. It was like a parody of those zombie survival phone games they always advertise on YouTube.

Mini Dead was frakking awesome, and hilarious, agreed on season 3, much better. 

My favorite episode was about the crustacean, yikes, that crap was scary! They had me fooled on the captain too, he seemed malicious, turns out he was the only half-way decent dude on the ship!