The first two Bill and Ted films are most excellent. They embody a beautiful ethos about the human spirit. "Be excellent to each other. And party on dude." This is the golden rule of 'do unto others as you would have them do unto you.' The "party on" portion is akin to turning the other cheek, live and let live, forgive and forget, keep on truckin,' etc.

Bill and Ted are holy fools or idiot savants. They are good natured and pure of heart.

At it's most cathartic, rock and roll music captures this joy of living.

All that said, Bill and Ted 3 is horrible. They missed the mark. The film just does not connect with the audience. The plot feels very forced and obviously formulaic, tired, and old. The plot borrows the tone of Spinal Tap. If you are middle aged and experienced Bill and Ted contemporaneously in your childhood, you may watch the film as a sad reminder there is currently a new generation of youths completely independent of your experience, values, priorities, and aesthetic tastes. The film reminds you of being completely out of touch with the new generation of youths. The film also fails at being an emissary of shared values between generations of audience members. I would prefer current youths not watch this film as it reflects poorly on my childhood and my generation. I would prefer current youths watch the first two Bill and Ted films.

Much of the plot should have been cut out of the film. It needed a much simpler and straightforward plot. They packed way too much into the plot and the film was very rushed. It had very fast pacing but not in a good way.

If I delicately wander into a controversial zone, the film may attempt to pay lip service to feminism and diversity but seems to fail at these attempts.

I paid $19.99 on Amazon Prime to rent the film. It was something to do during this pandemic, but it was a horrible film.

Party on dude!

3 hours ago, Brofessor said:

The first two Bill and Ted films are most excellent. They embody a beautiful ethos about the human spirit. "Be excellent to each other. And party on dude." This is the golden rule of 'do unto others as you would have them do unto you.' The "party on" portion is akin to turning the other cheek, live and let live, forgive and forget, keep on truckin,' etc.

Bill and Ted are holy fools or idiot savants. They are good natured and pure of heart.

At it's most cathartic, rock and roll music captures this joy of living.

All that said, Bill and Ted 3 is horrible. They missed the mark. The film just does not connect with the audience. The plot feels very forced and obviously formulaic, tired, and old. The plot borrows the tone of Spinal Tap. If you are middle aged and experienced Bill and Ted contemporaneously in your childhood, you may watch the film as a sad reminder there is currently a new generation of youths completely independent of your experience, values, priorities, and aesthetic tastes. The film reminds you of being completely out of touch with the new generation of youths. The film also fails at being an emissary of shared values between generations of audience members. I would prefer current youths not watch this film as it reflects poorly on my childhood and my generation. I would prefer current youths watch the first two Bill and Ted films.

Much of the plot should have been cut out of the film. It needed a much simpler and straightforward plot. They packed way too much into the plot and the film was very rushed. It had very fast pacing but not in a good way.

If I delicately wander into a controversial zone, the film may attempt to pay lip service to feminism and diversity but seems to fail at these attempts.

I paid $19.99 on Amazon Prime to rent the film. It was something to do during this pandemic, but it was a horrible film.

Party on dude!

:/

Its ok to grow and develop. Im 42 and I dont feel at all out of touch with my 19 year old or my 29 year old stepchild. We all learn from each other. Share experiences and develop understanding. I saw that their greatness is not solely onto them but in collaboration/ via their offspring ala Anakin to Luke. 

Edited by blackconvoy_D01

Its not a good film. It reminds me of the Star Wars sequels in many ways in that it negates the ending of the last movie from decades ago all to justify the new cash grab sequel. Very whiplash fast paced too like The Rise of Skywalker to fit everything into the running time.

Spoilers

Spoiler

What is with the future council sending a Terminator to kill Bill and Ted? They based their entire society on their music. Its terrible writing.

Edited by pablumatic

I get it the new film isn't good. I could tell that by the trailers. Sometimes we shouldn't ask for these sequels as it can ruin the original or earlier films. The last Jay & Silent Bob film is another good example. It's really hard to watch these guys get old... The only time I think that works is in the original STAR TREK movies :)

3 hours ago, pablumatic said:

Its not a good film. It reminds me of the Star Wars sequels in many ways in that it negates the ending of the last movie from decades ago all to justify the new cash grab sequel. Very whiplash fast paced too like The Rise of Skywalker to fit everything into the running time.

Spoilers

Reveal hidden contents

What is with the future council sending a Terminator to kill Bill and Ted? They based their entire society on their music. Its terrible writing.

So based on this review, it's actually a pretty good movie and the people who don't like it just suck.  good to know.

No Way Dude! Face the Music was most excellent and I enjoyed it very much. I went in with low expectations but an open mind, and what I found was an unexpectedly funny film with great feel-good ambience, which recalls why I loved the original. No, it's probably not as good as the original, but if you find yourself making up reasons to be upset about a freaking Bill & Ted movie I suspect that you may have missed the point. It's all about irreverent, goofy fun. Don't try to look any deeper than that.

Highlights for me were how awesomely Keanu and Alex played their d*ckwad future-us's (& Dave Grohl, hahahaha), the various tributes to George Carlin's Rufus (sniff, miss you George), and Bill & Ted's daughters were also great. There were lots of laugh-out-loud moments for me with callbacks to the original movies, and I think that the overall message of the movie is just as relevant and true now as it was in 1988: Be excellent to each other, and, PARTY ON DUDES!

Edited by Hiriyu

As the great Roger Ebert said in his review of The Mummy (1999):

There is within me an unslaked hunger for preposterous adventure movies. I resist the bad ones, but when a "Congo" or an "Anaconda" comes along, my heart leaps up and I cave in. "The Mummy" is a movie like that. There is hardly a thing I can say in its favor, except that I was cheered by nearly every minute of it. I cannot argue for the script, the direction, the acting or even the mummy, but I can say that I was not bored and sometimes I was unreasonably pleased. There is a little immaturity stuck away in the crannies of even the most judicious of us, and we should treasure it.

Look, art this isn't. Great trash, it isn't. Good trash, it is. It's not quite up there with "Anaconda," but it's as much fun as "Congo" and "The Relic," and it's better than "Species." If those four titles are not intimately familiar to you, "The Mummy" might not be the place to start.

So, my question is: is Bill & Ted 3 like "the Mummy (1999)"?  (Or as Ebert said: good trash?)

• 7 months later...

Finally watched this one, came across it while searching through the available movies...

Not bad, certainly not great.  The opening sequence is dreadful so get past that (the couples therapy session with the wives).  Pretty much paint by numbers but I did laugh at a couple of the jokes (groaned/winced at others).  As memorabilia movies go this one was far better then Coming 2 America.