Post Skywalker Saga Star Wars Movies and Projects

Topic will be automatically unlocked at 07:00 AM

Hope this comes true.

It all depends on how well Episode IX fares at the box office.  Solo drowned in the wake of The Last Jedi, and if fans are still angry enough to boycott the sequel as well, it may not make enough money to justify the production of further Star Wars films... and this new trilogy could be cancelled as quickly as Rian Johnson's was.  :unsure:

Do people really want Game Of Thrones Wars?  The failure of Star Trek Discovery is that it's Game of Thrones and not Star Trek.  Now you're going to get Game Of Thrones instead of Star Wars?  How is that better?

Do people really want Game Of Thrones Wars?  The failure of Star Trek Discovery is that it's Game of Thrones and not Star Trek.  Now you're going to get Game Of Thrones instead of Star Wars?  How is that better?

Not sure David Benioff and D.B. Weiss were brought in to make Star Wars "into" Game of Thrones.  I am hoping they were brought in to try and make Star Wars epic again....like Game of Thrones...:unknw:

I'd argue a GoT-style treatment of Star Wars is much more fitting than the same of Star Trek, but we'll have to wait and see.

I'm not getting my hopes up just yet, but it would at least be interesting to see a different take on the franchise than the past few movies.  The Old Republic era setting might be interesting, but my issue with the entire concept is how technology could be almost entirely stagnant for several thousand years.  At that point, you may as well just make the entire thing a concurrent alternate universe setting. :p 

The GoT guys have a lot of good storylines to pick if they do go with the Old Republic era.

They could run the Revan story (war with Mandos, his fall, then KOTOR 1 storyline).

Or jump off the Zayne Carrick idea:  a Padawan who lacks the skill to reach Knight level and gets involved in some shady ish.

Between the goodwill built up from GoT and the “secretly good” rep of most things Old Republic related, this has the potential to bring back the jaded fans. . . if it’s good.

Hm... it's an interesting prospect to say the least.

Disney definitely got a sharp wake-up slap from Solo: a Star Wars Story bombing at the box office.  Whether they've actually learned anything from the experience won't be known until Episode IX comes out this December.  I don't think there's any real risk of it not performing at the box office giving that it's a main series Star Wars film, so Disney will likely chart a new course for Star Wars based on how much IX exceeds its budget by if they're really committed to the idea that Episode IX will be the last movie of the main Star Wars storyline.

Rogue One: a Star Wars Story demonstrated beyond dispute that the Star Wars setting works quite well even after taking a few steps back from the Skywalker legacy and focusing on a new, original cast of characters.  I'd call it a viable proof of concept for the idea of putting even more distance between future Star Wars stories and the three trilogies.  As long as they go far enough out that they've got no overt connections to any canon characters from the trilogies they should have the freedom to do whatever they want without causing too much butthurt among the die-hard Star Wars fanbase.  Benioff and Weiss absolutely know how to make a huge, intricate, highly stylized setting that actually FEELS huge and highly detailed, so they should have little difficulty knocking it out of the park if they're given a relatively free hand.

I’m reasonably confident. Those two seem to have a good handle on whatever world they’re visiting at the moment. 

On 3/22/2019 at 4:13 AM, Mommar said:

Agreed.  Trying to copy the success of a different franchise by emulating it in an already successful franchise is always dissatisfying—especially because they tend to get rid of what makes it unique and interesting in the process!

Aside from ST:D, there's:

• Stargate Universe: copied the rebooted Battlestar Galactica.  Lost the lighthearted feel, over-the-top bad guys and stopped using the Stargate itself! :gasp:
  • James Bond: became a Borne clone in Quantum of Solace.  See how well that worked out. :roll:
  • James Bond (!): tried to be a Star Wars clone in Moonraker.  Thankfully we had Ridly Scott make his own film riffing on Star Wars...
  • James Bond (!!!): became a kung-fu movie clone in The Man With a Golden Gun.  Do these guys never learn?

I'm sure there's oodles more examples out there.  Case in point: don't mess with what makes your franchise a success!

As people are mentioning Rogue One and Solo... here's something to ponder: was RO a success because it had Jedi (Force) related elements?  Did Solo bomb because it didn't?  (a certain someone's cameo at the end doesn't count, of course. ;))

1 hour ago, sketchley said:

was RO a success because it had Jedi (Force) related elements?  Did Solo bomb because it didn't?

Absolutely not.  First of all, Rogue One is no more Jedi-related than Solo is.

Secondly, Rogue One didn't try to re-cast a principal Star Wars character.  The digital zombies were terrifying, but marketing wasn't relying on them (and Genevieve O'Reilly had already played Mon Mothma in Revenge of the Sith).  Alden Ehrenreich, on the other hand, had to convince audiences he could be Han Solo -- based solely on the trailers -- and... didn't.  <_<

Most importantly, Rogue One followed in the wake of The Force Awakens, which was a massive success and fairly well-received by fans.  Solo came quickly after The Last Jedi had enraged a large portion of the fandom, and also had a lot of bad pre-release press, owing to its troubled production...  :unsure:

Lest we forget, box-office receipts are a reflection of a film's marketing, not the quality of the film itself.  

Even Batman & Robin was a financial success.  :p

1 hour ago, tekering said:

Even Batman & Robin was a financial success.  :p

Let us not talk of Batman & Robin again...

(It doesn't exist in my head canon for Batman movies! :ph34r:)

• 1 month later...
52 minutes ago, Convectuoso said:

After seeing the mess GoT has become without GRRM's books, I have no hopes for this films 

Agreed, especially after how bad the last season is turning out.

1 hour ago, Convectuoso said:

After seeing the mess GoT has become without GRRM's books, I have no hopes for this films 

I haven’t been able to bring myself to watch past episode 3. All of the awful spoilers posted last year ended up being accurate :(

So, if they’re only good at adapting other people’s works (and not creating their own story), wouldn’t that be a good thing for an Old Republic trilogy?

Both Revan’s and Carrick’s stories are pretty fleshed out already, so . . . :unknw:

5 hours ago, Mog said:

So, if they’re only good at adapting other people’s works (and not creating their own story), wouldn’t that be a good thing for an Old Republic trilogy?

Both Revan’s and Carrick’s stories are pretty fleshed out already, so . . . :unknw:

Didn't Star Wars officially jettison all that stuff to the non-canon "round recepticle"?

They'd be flying blind, not adapting an existing story from the old EU.

2 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Didn't Star Wars officially jettison all that stuff to the non-canon "round recepticle"?

They'd be flying blind, not adapting an existing story from the old EU.

Didn't they also turn around and bring half of it right back in through Rebels?

Yup, and Rebels did a bang-up job of bringing in Thrawn and the core essence of his character.

Canon or not, there's a ton of good characters, themes, ideas, and plots to mine from the Old Republic video games and comics.

I know some of the plots could be viewed as re-hashes.  But c'mon, who doesn't love a witty, blood-thirsty protocol/assassin droid or a cantankerous old grey Force wielder who occasionally throws out awesome nuggets of wisdom?

• jvmacross changed the title to Post Skywalker Saga Star Wars Movies

Ya . Well..so they've coined a term for the post KOTOR era. More like carved out a niche from the later half, as KOTOR went back from something like 10,000 years before the battle of Yavin(ANH)  to 100. Now they've decided 400 years BBY is "the high republic". A relatively peaceful time, so many Jedi went on the hippy trail and got high. This may be the time when yoda first got Bob Dylan high...

So does Rian J still have a job?

Yes Diznit owns KOTOR, but they wanna carve up the pie..

Edited by Bolt

Old Republic, High Republic, just different names for almost the same thing. With 10000 years to choose from, it's not out of bounds for them to try and make something 'new' to fit in somewhere. KOTOR or not, there are going to be Sith and Jedi battling it out and even a young Yoda which will be cool! I just hope they'll treat this better than they did the Skywalker Saga and plan it  all out. And give us some cool new ship designs!