First impressions of Falcon & Winter Soldier?  Alright, with some first episode jitters.

Action scenes were solid but kinda forgettable.  But I enjoyed all the character bits much more.

I feel like an extended cut or a few extra lines would have helped to flesh out some minor parts a little better like:

Spoiler

* Why that guy on the plane was so key.

* Who or where Sam and his sister were delivering the food to (is she running a side business in addition to the boat?).

But overall, I like where they put the characters post-Stark snap and am curious to see where they take this story.

This seems like more of a standard espionage thriller. Kind of a shift from the past 8 weeks of girl-be-cray-cray, but workable. I don't think this will earn as many marks as WandaVision. It will be good, but more run-of-the-mill.

1 hour ago, azrael said:

This seems like more of a standard espionage thriller. Kind of a shift from the past 8 weeks of girl-be-cray-cray, but workable. I don't think this will earn as many marks as WandaVision. It will be good, but more run-of-the-mill.

I agree.  I mean, I'm curious to see where they go with it; kinda felt like I was just starting to get invested and the episode ended.  But I expect wherever they go will be more "safe" than WandaVision.

They’re already bringing in the racial issues.  And much like Wanda, the two mains are now having to deal with their pasts and issues.

Probably will be more “standard” MCU fare, but I like the characters and curious to see where they go from here.

I’m also a big fan of this version of Zemo:  he doesn’t have any special powers or financial backing.  He’s just a special forces soldier.  BUT he was successful in fracturing the Avengers.  

Hope they keep that aspect going for him here. 

Plus, Daniel Bruhl is a sneaky good actor.  Didn’t realize that the guy who played Nikki Lauda in Rush was the same guy who played the Nazi sniper in Inglorious Basterds.

Episode 1 is a thousand times better than Wanda Visions first few episodes. I’m still trying to forget the pain of those first few episodes. 

But this show is off to a good start. The action is filmed well even if those wing suits worked like magic, but overall it’s pretty good so far.

Definitely getting the “buddy cop” movie feel this past ep.

But I’m enjoying the subtle shades of grey they’re putting into the characters.

Spoiler

Walker’s a clueless ass (hacking Redwing and calling the guys “Cap’s wingmen”? . . . not gonna put you on their good side).  

But he is being put in an unenviable position, and he has traits that show he’s not a complete ass.

Honestly, I didn’t catch on until the end of the episode. But after looking at it in clips from the episode I can definitely see a strong resemblance between Wyatt and Kurt. I had seen Wyatt in Overlord a while back and kinda forgot about him until now.

I’m not sure I like the new super-power they

Spoiler

gave Zemo . . . . . . . Money.

Still seems to have his smarts.  But giving him that kind of riches and title make him look like a putz for not getting his family further out of Sokovia.

Feeling a little uneasy too about what Sharon’s up to.  Got more vicious in the ensuing years.  And that ending bit seems odd.

However, it’s nice to see Wakanda coming into play too.

Let’s see how it all pans out.

On 4/2/2021 at 1:58 AM, Mog said:

I’m not sure I like the new super-power they

Hide contents

gave Zemo . . . . . . . Money.

Still seems to have his smarts.  But giving him that kind of riches and title make him look like a putz for not getting his family further out of Sokovia.

Feeling a little uneasy too about what Sharon’s up to.  Got more vicious in the ensuing years.  And that ending bit seems odd.

However, it’s nice to see Wakanda coming into play too.

Let’s see how it all pans out.

Spoiler

Of course Wakanda is keeping tabs on Zemo. It also wouldn't surprise me they wouldn't know that the "White Wolf" just happened to visit the same prison Zemo is in.

Exposition and linking episode. Meh.

Spoiler

I guess they wanna tie back to Zemo’s comic roots.  

But I think I’d have preferred if they just let him still have some military/para-military connections from his previous soldier career.  Still would allow for the boys to fly out to Madripoor and gets you to the same point plotwise.

Making him rich and royalty feels like a retcon made to just tie back to his comic book origins.

Again, let’s see how it all pans out.