Custom Decals

Deadzone

I have seen several people make custom stickers for their macross toys. However, I am wondering how this is done. Making the image is easy enough on photoshop or some type of art program. The question is how to get them onto a sticker sheet without rubbing off. Do you just put some type of special sticker paper into the printer or is there a different process. Any help would be appreciated.

Well, the biggest problem with printing decals is actually the printer itself. Normal printers can't print white, so they can't make a white decal, and have trouble with light colors. You need a Dye Sublimation printer, which has white ink. The most well known are Alps brand, but I don't think they are made anymore. I know sony makes some photo printers that are dye-sub, though.

Yes, ALPS printers are the way to go, but they are indeed no longer made. However, you can still find them on eBay and they're not terribly expensive. Where the real cost comes in is the ink cartridges, which don't last very long but cost $9 each. After printing your designs, you will want to give them a protective clear coating.

I've been making custom decals and stickers for MW members for about two years now. I think I've tried everything at least once and it's taken me a long time (and a lot of $$$) to develop the methods and processes I use now. I've been debating whether or not I should do a "how-to" thread so no one else here has to reinvent the wheel. Any thoughts?

I don't know about decals, but I with sticker, I just hand them off to my friend Mary and magically they appear. :lol:

Actually, while working on the repro 1/35 Gakken stickers with her yesterday, I asked her about how the images transfer for vinyl stickers. She said those bond to the sheets usings some kind of heat transfer process. I don't know if this helps in any way. Vinyl may be a little expensive depending on what you're doing. She has access to much more expensive equipment than your average joe can afford. She had to use this process because everything had to be precut on the actual sheets since they're repros and not customs. We didn't have much choice. If you saw the originals, you'd see why.

The only problem I've seen with vinyl is that it stretches pretty easily so you have to be very careful during application. After they've been applied, they certainly aren't something you want to try to remove and reapply. Then again, if you're used to using decals, being careful should be a no-brainer. Once applied though, the stretchiness of vinyl really keeps the stickers nice and tight on the edges. It also makes it easy to go over the panel lines with a fingernail afterwords and really "bring them out" again.

the cheapest way, and also lasts the least, but it could be what you are talking about is to print them out yourself. Get 2 kinds of sticky paper from whichever stationary you go to. One white and one clear. Print them out, coat them with protective spray and then cut them yourself. Quality will depend on your paper and printer.

After printing your designs, you will want to give them a protective clear coating.

What in your experience is the best type of clear coating to use and do you know if it will work on vinyl stickers? That might help me out with the whole stretching problem.

with vynils stickers I sometimes overlay it with a low tac drafting tape. So when I sometimes have to remove it, the tape will protect it from stretching. I don't think the tape will do anything to the image since it's heat transfered. hope this helps.

Add: Do this before you lay the whole sticker down. If you lay the whole thing down the low tac tape will pull itself from the sticker.

Edited by >EXO<

with vynils stickers I sometimes overlay it with a low tac drafting tape. So when I sometimes have to remove it, the tape will protect it from stretching. I don't think the tape will do anything to the image since it's heat transfered. hope this helps.

Add: Do this before you lay the whole sticker down. If you lay the whole thing down the low tac tape will pull itself from the sticker.

sweet

I was recently walking around the toy section of my local walmart when I happen to stumble on a custom decal kit, made by testors which can be used with a inkjet printer. It does come with one clear decal sheet, and one white decal sheets. Supposidly, the sheets are can be re-ordered from testors i believe. Here's the product link on the Testors website:

http://www.testors.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=2255

Learning to print my own decals is the next big step I need to take. I'll need them for most of the scratch-build projects I'm planning.

I'm planning on getting an Alps printer when I have money again, but I'm not sure where to go from there. Can you recomend a good decal paper source, Anasazi? The only stuff I've tried was from MicroMark (and that was years ago), and that stuff pretty much sucked.

I was recently walking around the toy section of my local walmart when I happen to stumble on a custom decal kit, made by testors which can be used with a inkjet printer. It does come with one clear decal sheet, and one white decal sheets. Supposidly, the sheets are can be re-ordered from testors i believe. Here's the product link on the Testors website:

http://www.testors.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=2255

I just bought this today, figuring I could create my own decals. Well, the hook is, you can but only if you buy the upgrade CD for 10 bucks. I will probably get it after I try out the whole system.

• 2 weeks later...
Learning to print my own decals is the next big step I need to take. I'll need them for most of the scratch-build projects I'm planning.

I'm planning on getting an Alps printer when I have money again, but I'm not sure where to go from there. Can you recomend a good decal paper source, Anasazi? The only stuff I've tried was from MicroMark (and that was years ago), and that stuff pretty much sucked.

The best stuff I have found (and I have tried them all) is made by a company called Hemmi Papilio Supplies (HPS). Here's their website:

http://www.papilio.com/

The ALPS decal paper is listed under "laser decal paper" and carries the name "Papilio Aqua Slide (PAS)". It's A LOT more expensive than other brands, but they have awesome QC and customer service. I've never had a problem printing on their paper. Whatever you do, DO NOT ORDER FROM BELDECAL.COM. They are the worst company to deal with and their paper sucks. One thing about HPS is that you shouldn't be in a hurry when you order. Sometimes it can take up to 2-3 weeks for your shipment to arrive. They also make awesome (and again, expensive) vinyl sticker paper, which is what I use for my custom sticker sets.

Due to a shipping screw-up with HPS, I have a ton of inkjet decal paper instead of the PAS I ordered (~30 sheets). Their inkjet paper is incredible, but I don't need it. Anyone want to buy it off me cheap?

I am still planning on making a "how to" thread with step by step instructions for those of you who want to make your own decals. I was thinking of doing it wm cheng style as I put together the 1/60 Ostrich and Elint sets....

• 2 weeks later...

just a thought here....

actually we can reproduce the sticker sheet using off-set printing. that way, you will have full color and white printed on industrial standard transparent sticker sheet. though you may have to print in few hundreds or thousands, it gives you more stickers for replacement should any of it wear out in the years ahead. moreover, the machine is able to do die-cut and that saves you from trimming.

what do the rest think?

:rolleyes:

• 13 years later...

Just stumbled onto this thread, but does anyone know of a reprolabel maker, other than Reprolabels, that specializes in Macross decal sheets?  I have a couple of Masterpiece jets, Skywarp and Ramjet, but they look too plain without some detailed decals to make them look as sharp as my YF-19.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

On 9/13/2003 at 7:40 AM, Anasazi37 said:

The best stuff I have found (and I have tried them all) is made by a company called Hemmi Papilio Supplies (HPS). Here's their website:

http://www.papilio.com/

The ALPS decal paper is listed under "laser decal paper" and carries the name "Papilio Aqua Slide (PAS)". It's A LOT more expensive than other brands, but they have awesome QC and customer service. I've never had a problem printing on their paper. Whatever you do, DO NOT ORDER FROM BELDECAL.COM. They are the worst company to deal with and their paper sucks. One thing about HPS is that you shouldn't be in a hurry when you order. Sometimes it can take up to 2-3 weeks for your shipment to arrive. They also make awesome (and again, expensive) vinyl sticker paper, which is what I use for my custom sticker sets.

Due to a shipping screw-up with HPS, I have a ton of inkjet decal paper instead of the PAS I ordered (~30 sheets). Their inkjet paper is incredible, but I don't need it. Anyone want to buy it off me cheap?

I am still planning on making a "how to" thread with step by step instructions for those of you who want to make your own decals. I was thinking of doing it wm cheng style as I put together the 1/60 Ostrich and Elint sets....

Did the "How to" ever get made?

I know it's 14 years too late, but do you still have that inject paper?

On 4/4/2017 at 9:27 PM, cypherzero said:

Just stumbled onto this thread, but does anyone know of a reprolabel maker, other than Reprolabels, that specializes in Macross decal sheets?  I have a couple of Masterpiece jets, Skywarp and Ramjet, but they look too plain without some detailed decals to make them look as sharp as my YF-19.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What about grabbing on eBay a few leftovers of decals from 1:72 modern aircrafts ?