Venom: The Last Dance - October 25, 2024

sh9000

I'm avoiding watching any trailers or reading any details about the film- I want to go in totally fresh.  I really like Tom Hardy as an actor, and I loved the first Venom (warts and all), though, so I've got high hopes.  Plus they reopened the one theater near me with $5 tickets, so I'm going to try to see it this weekend.

Caught this last night, fun enough, if you didn't like the first you probably won't like this one and vice-versa. Woody was fun as Cledus, lots of crazy CG fights and set pieces, Carnage was awesome. As far as spoilers go, pretty big one at the end after the credits, seriously, read at your own risk

Spoiler

It's official, Eddie/Venom are in the MCU. After the credits Eddie and Venom are chilling at his apartment when a crazy flash of light goes off, it's Strange and Peter from No Way Home doing their thing. Eddie and Venom see JJ Jameson giving his Spidey killed Mysterio and Spidey is Peter speech from Far From Home, so yeah, Venom is in the MCU, pretty cool.

Fun enough movie, I'm honestly far more interested in Mobius, he's always been a favorite of mine. 

2 hours ago, renegadeleader1 said:

What do you call a movie you enjoyed watching, but it was still kinda crap and gets worse the more you think about it? Yet you don't hate it?

What ever word best represents that, that's what this movie is.

The word is "Meh".:D

Saw it this afternoon.  It was flawed but enjoyable, pretty much like the first one.  I'll say that some of the relationships felt diminished by the alterations to their origin stories and the the more rushed format of a two-hour film vs a multi-issue comic book- there didn't seem to be any real reason or connection for Cletus to be so obsessed with Eddie, and while Carnage was clearly capable of causing... well, carnage, he never felt as threatening as he did in the comics.  I think this is mostly made up for, though, by Tom Hardy's excellent portrayal of Eddie and the amusing interplay between him and the Venom symbiote.

One thing...

Spoiler

If you're not sure what was up with the officer's eyes turning blue and him blabbering about monsters after apparently being killed, well, apparently they're setting up for yet another symbiote.  I saw it coming as soon as they introduced officer P. Mulligan in the opening scene with him and Shriek on the truck out of St. Estes... in the comics, Patrick Mulligan became Toxin, the spawn of Carnage.

And about that after credits scene-

Spoiler

Sony's relationship with Marvel has been kind of murky... they're retaining control of Spidey and have been plotting a Spidey cinematic universe.  They allowed Marvel to do the heavy lifting with the Tom Holland movies and allowed Marvel to put Spidey in the MCU, presumably because movies in the MCU make bank and a share of that was a lot less risk than ASM3, I guess, but they deliberately divorced Venom's origin from Spidey as a clear message to Marvel that they could use Spidey, but that's it.  And yet, I see that Sony's sharing Morbius with the MCU, and now this post-credits scene very clearly links Venom to the end of Far from Home.  But what was that effect that they experienced?  Could it be that Venom was separate from the MCU, but something Peter and Dr. Strange do in No Way Home actually pulled Venom into the MCU?

• 1 month later...
  • sh9000 changed the title to Venom: Let There Be Carnage and Venom 3
  • 9 months later...
  • azrael changed the title to Venom: Let There Be Carnage
  • 5 months later...
  • sh9000 changed the title to Venom 2 and 3
  • 2 months later...
4 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

EDIT: Sorry, was going off the URL, forgot this isn't the right thread. Anyway...

I doubt that's the ONLY reason. Word I've heard from the grapevine is that crunch was insane on Across, with Lord and Miller constantly changing story, character, and scene beats that had to be re-animated. By the time the movie released, they had only just started production on Beyond, making a next-year release basically impossible.

Edited by kajnrig

• sh9000 changed the title to Venom: The Last Dance - October 25, 2024
1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

Any indication whether Spiderman will make an appearance?

The last one seemed to imply that the 2 would meet...

Knowing how these Spider-Man adjacent movies have worked, even with this supposedly being the "last" Venom movie, Spider-Man will probably appear before the credits roll for a minute or two max, and it will contribute and lead to nothing. 

2 hours ago, jvmacross said:

I can’t remember if it was all in deleted scenes or not since I’ve only wanted to watch these once and probably never again, but I think there were teasers like posters or something even in the first one and something in Morbius. Morbius was definitely a far worse movie and I might have just dreamt about that because I kept falling asleep 

4 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Long story short, thanks to Dr. Strange and Peter Parker messing with realities in No Way Home, Venom got transported to the main MCU universe where all he did was sit in a hotel room and visit the hotel's bar before promptly being sent back to his own universe at the end and not doing much of anything.