$300 for a Robotech "flight jacket"?

Shizuka the Cat

That jacket is what we used to refer to in the military as a "BCG" Birth Control Jacket.  Meaning that there is no way you will EVER kiss a girl while wearing it.  That said, it's on par price wise with some of the Gundam clothing they have at the Gundam Base in Tokyo.  $300 plus for a red flight jacket with  a Zeon patch on it etc.

18 minutes ago, wmkjr said:

I'd move it to the anime science fiction section since 1. It's a Robotech thing and 2. It's not a toy.

I sort of wish there was a wardrobe section on MWF, where Macross-related cosplay and other articles of clothing could be filed under.

12 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

I sort of wish there was a wardrobe section on MWF, where Macross-related cosplay and other articles of clothing could be filed under.

It's not as grand as other section -- like toys and anime. But here you go:

But in the end, it's still 'Robotech'. :ph34r:

Edited by no3Ljm

4 hours ago, Mechamaniac said:

That jacket is what we used to refer to in the military as a "BCG" Birth Control Jacket.  Meaning that there is no way you will EVER kiss a girl while wearing it.  That said, it's on par price wise with some of the Gundam clothing they have at the Gundam Base in Tokyo.  $300 plus for a red flight jacket with  a Zeon patch on it etc.

lol you mean Birth Control Glasses 

Well to be fair in terms of cut, that's a pretty good representation of the old flight jackets they used to issue pilots in the US Army.  Of course those weren't polyester because they didn't want to burn alive in the post crash fire. :good:  But yeah, not exactly subtle styling.  

Just now, Mechamaniac said:

That said, it's on par price wise with some of the Gundam clothing they have at the Gundam Base in Tokyo.  $300 plus for a red flight jacket with  a Zeon patch on it etc.

So, one of these with a $20 set of Zeon Patches goes for $300+?

Damn... I need to learn to sew... I could make some $MONEY$ off of the Gunpla-crowd at my next local Comc-con.....:yahoo:

Just now, Vifam7 said:

I've seen cooler-looking ones in Japan for significantly less money.

http://geestore.com/detail/id/00000072968

Indeed; $300 for that Robotech-festooned jacket, or such spiffy alternatives for ~$110 US:

SDF-1 MA-1 Jacket

Roy Focker MA-1 Jacket

Small Rant:

Why do they have an SVF-1 Skull Squadron patch AND an SVF-26 Cavaliers Squadron patch AND a VF-1J/Vermilion Squadron Patch on the same jacket, which itself is prominently labeled "VERMILLION"... which is spelled wrong... it's almost as if they have no idea what these symbols mean other than they were used in Macross Robotech..:unknw:

/Rant

I'm at peace with everything else about it.

I'd buy the Patches and VF-1J Zipper-tab [in PVC/rubber instead of Die-Cast]... forget the 'Robotech' patch though:D

I love the touch of the U.N. Spacy Roundel Snap-Buttons...

Power to whoever buys one and rocks it in public!

Edited by slide

1 hour ago, sh9000 said:

I’m happy with my purchase of the SDF-1 jacket and will proudly wear it in public.

Pics once you do! [you should wear it to a showing of TopGun2!]

plus it's 1000% less Garish than the Robotech version...

• 6 months later...
On 3/5/2019 at 3:18 AM, sh9000 said:

I’m happy with my purchase of the SDF-1 jacket and will proudly wear it in public.

I'm really tempted to buy this, could you give me some information on the quality of the product? (like the sewing and the durability/kind of texture they use for the logos etc)

I really love the look but I do wonder if I could use it as a winter jacket . :unknw:

What I find funny is that my buddy whom I met in college, worked for Harmony Gold and actually helped code the 2002-ish version of the RT website.  I've actually been to the offices.  I remember seeing the RT3000 poster on the wall thinking, what the hell is that thing about? What does Dr Manhattan have to do with the Invid?  Why is there a poster of a live-action Heidi movie I've never heard of on the wall next to it?

I found it odd.  HG wasn't producing anything that I knew off. The offices were in the movie theater they own on Sunset in Hollywood. That was also weird to me.  I didn't know the ins/outs of the Agrama family at the time, but it seemed odd to me that the people responsible for RT owned a stand-alone movie theater that didn't show any movies, that they didn't make anything else, and that they weren't importing other anime, much less any new Macross stuff like Zero. 

Oh well, I eventually learned.  He did share with me that while the RT webstore got so-so traffic, the forums associated with the site had lots and lots of traffic, so much so that he, being one of the main webdevs at the time, had to rescue and move them around to better hosts a couple of times.  They seemed to churn through employees at a fair clip.  After a couple of years he left too.  It was just a job to him, he was never really into Macross, though his brother owned Plus on VHS when it came out.

13 hours ago, Mazinger said:

What I find funny is that my buddy whom I met in college, worked for Harmony Gold and actually helped code the 2002-ish version of the RT website.  I've actually been to the offices.  I remember seeing the RT3000 poster on the wall thinking, what the hell is that thing about? What does Dr Manhattan have to do with the Invid?  Why is there a poster of a live-action Heidi movie I've never heard of on the wall next to it?

I found it odd.  HG wasn't producing anything that I knew off. The offices were in the movie theater they own on Sunset in Hollywood. That was also weird to me.  I didn't know the ins/outs of the Agrama family at the time, but it seemed odd to me that the people responsible for RT owned a stand-alone movie theater that didn't show any movies, that they didn't make anything else, and that they weren't importing other anime, much less any new Macross stuff like Zero. 

Oh well, I eventually learned.  He did share with me that while the RT webstore got so-so traffic, the forums associated with the site had lots and lots of traffic, so much so that he, being one of the main webdevs at the time, had to rescue and move them around to better hosts a couple of times.  They seemed to churn through employees at a fair clip.  After a couple of years he left too.  It was just a job to him, he was never really into Macross, though his brother owned Plus on VHS when it came out.

I drove past it many times when I lived in LA briefly in 2003.  You couldn't miss it....HARMONY GOLD in huge gold block letters.  I thought "geez, how did those guys afford an office here, they don't DO anything?  Didn't they go out of business in the 80s?"

I guess they're still around....

16 hours ago, peter said:

I think that jacket is a solid pass for me, lol!

They could have at least tried to do a "realistic" take on the jacket as though it would be something worn in real life if Valkyrie fighter jets existed.  Instead they put a giant ugly image on the back and other dumb things all around it.  Heck, someone is better off getting some patches and put them on  a real jacket maybe from a military surplus store.