Bubblegum Crisis & Crash Items

JetJockey

I know we have a Bubblegum Crisis toys topic. And I started one about the recent Blu-ray direct release. I thought I would start this one about random Bubblegum Crisis or Crash stuff that people come across. I found this last night being auctioned off by the Animeigo owner.

1815908048_PrissCrashCel.thumb.jpg.9b5424b3536a1c8afcf8c089b771312a.jpg

People might remember I made a big deal about him selling a fairly average cel for the original Bubblegum Crisis Kickstarter. I believe it was a cel of Largo. Yet he had this Priss cel framed behind him in the Kickstarter promo video. He's kind of sneaky about the listing too. I only found it because I was looking at completed sold auctions for various anime series. I came across an interesting cel lot and wanted to see what else the seller was selling and found it. He listed it as "Bubblegum Crash 3 - Huge Framed Pan Setup w/Drawing." No Priss, cel, douga, genga, or sketch. So if you weren't just searching Bubblegum Crash items you would miss it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bubblegum-Crash-3-Huge-Framed-Pan-Setup-w-Drawing/223392445506

The auction ends next Thursday. Too bad I can't go after it myself. Toys and a few other purchases took my extra money.

Edited by JetJockey

On 2/16/2019 at 9:03 PM, RavenHawk said:

I have a few resin model kits. They pop up online fairly regularly, though I think they're recasts of older resin kits mainly.

Yeah there are a lot of bootlegs of those original kits. We should get new painted figures for the Knight Sabers. Or at least Priss. They made like 3 or 4 good kits of her plus the one figure which I believe was just a not for sale prototype.

8 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Not a fan but ran into this seller.....has several at 20 bucks each.....can't vouch for authenticity though....buy at your own risk

https://buyee.jp/item/search/seller/the_tekkoki

Those all seem to be from Bubblegum Crisis 2040. Unless it's a scene from the opening or something notable, I don't think cels from that series go for that much. But I've only watched the first handful of episodes or so. Still, I think it's the original Bubblegum Crisis that most are after. Of course the big pan cels can go for a lot from a series like Crash and since it's from Animeigo. The cel is almost at $250 now with time to go till Thursday. I wouldn't be surprised to see it double.

Edited by JetJockey

Thanks!  And thanks to JetJockey for the heads-up.  :hi:

It's actually not the first Bubblegum Crash cel I've bought from Mr. Woodhead, either...

860128361_BGCcel.thumb.jpg.e47213d04c4be574c703c4b1c1a80505.jpg

I bought this pan setup from him at Anime Expo '92, twenty-seven years ago...!  :o

9 hours ago, tekering said:

Mine for $305, frame included!  What a steal!  :yahoo:

That's a good win on a one of a kind cel. Taking the cel back to Japan too. I believe I saw a close up of Priss right after that scene at a convention once. I was too focused on finding Macross cels then and the dealer didn't have anything organized.

7 hours ago, tekering said:

Thanks!  And thanks to JetJockey for the heads-up.  :hi:

It's actually not the first Bubblegum Crash cel I've bought from Mr. Woodhead, either...

860128361_BGCcel.thumb.jpg.e47213d04c4be574c703c4b1c1a80505.jpg

I bought this pan setup from him at Anime Expo '92, twenty-seven years ago...!  :o

1992, wow that's a long time ago. Is it just the image or did you display that cel in sunlight or without UV protection glass? I've only seen a few group cels of all the Knight Sabers so that's still a good one to have. I think there were a few recent group cels from Crash episode 2 on ebay.

I wasn't into cels back then. Didn't even know I could get Japanese cels. I probably saw a Disney store or other American cel gallery in a mall though. Do you remember any other cels he was selling back then? From Bubblegum Crisis or other series? Perhaps cels you recall from other dealers? Macross, Dirty Pair, etc. Old 80s stuff. I would like a Highway Star cel.

Edited by JetJockey

• 1 month later...

He is at it again.

1558718823_bgc!syliavslargoep3pancelanimeigo.jpg.b102f7762ee9b5ebc2fc06ab5aaa3bc4.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bubblegum-Crash-3-Sylia-vs-Largo-Horizontal-Pan-Setup/223471145292?hash=item3407eb114c:g:GrMAAOSwQ7lcpeI3

Listed as "Bubblegum Crash 3 - Sylia vs. Largo Horizontal Pan Setup." And unless it's the glare or a really bad photo, this cel has fading. Here is the scene at 37:08.

Edited by JetJockey

Last day. It's sitting at $26. I guess people are waiting to see what items are going to be with the Megazone 23 Kickstarter now. And I assume the auction of these cels mean no Bubblegum Crash Blu-ray Kickstarter for the foreseeable future.

9 hours ago, F-ZeroOne said:

Didn't AnimEigo do a Bubblegum Crisis screensaver once? I seem to recall owning it but have no idea what happened to it...

I don't know if it was Animeigo but I still have that screensaver in a box somewhere.

The Crash cel is still at $26. Unless there are lurkers waiting till the last minute someone is going to get a really good deal. Maybe he should start putting "cel" in the listing.

13 hours ago, F-ZeroOne said:

It may have been AnimEigos UK publishers "Anime Projects" that did that screensaver...

Are you trying to buy it? It's probably easier to create your own from Bubblegum Crisis images these days. I remember I had an older screensaver program during the Windows 95 upgrade period and somehow that old program did something to make all my fonts disappear.

That Crash cel ended at $36. A steal if you like Crash. I wonder if he will go through with the sale? That's why it pays to know what you are selling and list it with the right words to get the majority of buyers. I've seen terrible cels that aren't pan cels without backgrounds on sale for far more than $36.

On 4/13/2019 at 2:00 PM, F-ZeroOne said:

No, not trying to buy it, just thought this thread was a good place to mention it as its a "Bubblegum Crisis" curio that might not be that widely known about.

I thought there were screensavers for just about anything back then. Few were on the Internet. And even then most weren't downloading a lot of stuff and going to FTP sites. I remember going to places like Software Etc, Babbages, and Egghead and getting screensavers. I had a Star Trek one. Maybe two as I remember original and Next Generation images. I think one of those messed up the fonts. There were many environment ones. I had a Kinkade screensaver and a few others I'm trying to remember.

Edited by JetJockey

• 2 years later...
5 hours ago, Bariaburu Faita said:

Jeanne Mas - Johnny Johnny

which I believe Bubblegum Crisis 5 Moonlight Rambler - Mysterious Night was a homage to.

Homage?  That's charitable.  I'd call it a blatant rip-off. <_<

It's even more shameless than their Streets of Fire "homages." :unsure:

Thanks for sharing!

Wow, that's just beyond the pale:blink:

Either Youmex bought the song rights entirely -- in which case the original composers weren't properly credited -- or Kōji Makaino has a LOT to answer for.  :angry:

14 minutes ago, Sandman said:

How come no one ever sued over this?

Because the international marketplace was a lot less prevalent in 1991 than it is today. American music companies were not watching subtitled VHS tapes from Suncoast.

8 hours ago, F-ZeroOne said:

According to a recent video I saw on the making of “Crisis”, a lot of the music is... ahem... “inspired” by other tracks... ^_^

probably the same one I watched. it also mentioned that Kinuko Oomori was in a "rock band" before BGC. but when I looked it up, I found this instead;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEbZQxTTevA

here is a slightly better quality one from a wide show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H2AkYbJ-3Q

Edited by Bariaburu Faita
better quality vid

I hoped someone restarted the topic because the Priss Figma was coming out. Or maybe Animeigo was selling cels again.

I never heard the original inspiration songs for the Bubblegum Crisis songs before. It would be surprising but I knew a guy who was into music far more than me who told me about bands ripping off songs before. Even popular artists do it. What's surprising is that people in Japan were listening to all this International music back then. But maybe it shouldn't be surprising for people who really like music to want to listen to music from other countries. Same with people who really like movies, art, and whatever else. I'm American yet I was watching Japanese anime as a kid because I really liked cartoons.

Of course the homage / rip off thing happens in many art forms. I finally watched Perfect Blue. Really surprising anime. It feels like a dark Hollywood type movie you would get from a David Lynch or someone else. But I remember hearing that Black Swan ripped off Perfect Blue.

4 hours ago, Bariaburu Faita said:

probably the same one I watched. it also mentioned that Kinuko Oomori was in a "rock band" before BGC. but when I looked it up, I found this instead;

here is a slightly better quality one from a wide show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H2AkYbJ-3Q

She was also in Silk DURING Bubblegum Crisis. It was actually a problem with production, as the production team wanted her to be performing more music for the show and the band wanted her to not be performing without them.

They were actually going to kill her character off because of it, then realized she was entirely too popular.

11 minutes ago, JB0 said:

She was also in Silk DURING Bubblegum Crisis. It was actually a problem with production, as the production team wanted her to be performing more music for the show and the band wanted her to not be performing without them.

They were actually going to kill her character off because of it, then realized she was entirely too popular.

I wish someone would upload those old Silk albums. Surely there is a Mega folder somewhere with all of them. All the old sites that had them have links that are down. Some youtube uploads I saw were edited the last time I checked. Maybe I'll just have to find the old CDs. It's cool having more Priss songs even though they weren't really in the anime.

7 hours ago, Bariaburu Faita said:

Kinuko Oomori was in a "rock band" before BGC. but when I looked it up, I found this instead;

Good God, that's from 1980!  Oomori was performing on TV when she was still in elementary school! :blink:

Forty years later, you guys are really blowing my mind with this stuff.

On 4/19/2021 at 2:28 PM, tekering said:

Wow, that's just beyond the pale:blink:

Either Youmex bought the song rights entirely -- in which case the original composers weren't properly credited -- or Kōji Makaino has a LOT to answer for.  :angry:

I've actually become frustrated a few times when I've come across discussions where everyone seemed to be harping on what geniuses some of these composers were... with that air of "If you had REAL knowledge of music, you'd know how superior this Japanese composer was"... while somehow ignoring how much of these works were flat-out copies of American, German, etc. music at the time.

4 hours ago, RavenHawk said:

much of these works were flat-out copies of American, German, etc. music at the time.

This is a fascinating aspect of the anime industry I was completely unaware of.  Are there other egregious examples outside of BGC?