• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Saw it, it was fun, I didn't understand the parents relationship at all though. What does the dad know, when does he know it, what was the mom's relationship to the spirit. I think I may have missed a few elements but ultimately it wasn't a big deal, still fun. 

22 minutes ago, jenius said:

Saw it, it was fun, I didn't understand the parents relationship at all though. What does the dad know, when does he know it, what was the mom's relationship to the spirit. I think I may have missed a few elements but ultimately it wasn't a big deal, still fun. 

Some link with Tangled?

3 hours ago, Old_Nash said:

Some link with Tangled?

No.

Spoiler

In fact there was the fan theory that their parents were on their way to Rapunzel's welcome home party, seeing how Rapunzel (with short hair) and Finn went to Elsa's inauguration. This shows that was not the case.

On 11/23/2019 at 9:46 PM, Old_Nash said:

So... Elsa get a girlfriend?

No. Though I would have been fine with it.:D

I enjoyed it a lot! I'd say I liked it as much as the first movie. Great imagery and touching family connections, and yes the songs were great. Kristof has a great one too!:lol:

Spoiler

The parents had a bigger role in this that I really liked and it was sad/touching when the sisters found their wrecked ship. At that point I was half sure at least one parent was still going to be alive, but I am glad they left it where it was. It was good enough getting a deeper backstory on them.

And they did take a little swipe at the Let It Go song which was pretty funny.

I may go see it again. Maybe with less kids in the crowd though...;)

Now I need a Tangled sequel, it's been long enough!

Edited by Thom

21 minutes ago, Thom said:

Now I need a Tangled sequel, it's been long enough!

Agreed. It hasn't gotten the attention it deserved and the musical numbers were great.  There a TV cartoon series for it, but I don't have the Disney channel and would rather have a feature.

4 hours ago, jenius said:

Saw it yesterday with the wife, and personally, I think it was on par with the first. There were more musical numbers, and pretty much all the songs had meaning and contributed to the story. The cast is a pretty talented bunch of folks, and their singing talents elevate the story. So far as the girls' parents' relationship,

Spoiler

their mom, who was still a girl at the time of this part of the story, was the fifth spirit who unified the other four Elemental Spirits in the Enchanted Forest. Events transpire to anger said Elementals, and in the ensuing chaos, their father, who was still a boy, was rescued by her and taken from the Enchanted Forest before the Elementals isolated it. Having been unconscious at the time of his rescue, he had no memory of who had rescued him. I don't recall if they mentioned how they met formally, but obviously she felt drawn to him enough to hide her true nature, marry him, and bear his children, which explains the source of Elsa's power, and the role she eventually plays.

This film, while still fun, delved into deeper emotional waters for several of the characters, so there's a maturity to it that smaller kids likely won't get. My wife and I sat next to the steps, and there was a little girl, around 5ish, I'd say, who was too busy walking up and down the stairs counting to herself than watching the film. We went during the afternoon, so there were a lot of little ones in the audience, and of course, the obligatory inconsolable infant who the mother tried consoling by the door instead of taking her out of the theatre, b/c courtesy is one of those mystical properties that only exists in stories here in Spokane. Anyway, I did my best to block out the sound of people's struggles with cellophane wrappers (it is a complete mystery to me why candy manufacturers can't create a quiet wrapping material for their wares), kids talking, a baby's cries, and other such din to hear all that was being said in the film, but I got most of it, and I felt it was a worthy successor to the first, which, IMHO, set a pretty high bar. I'm not a big Disney fan, per se, but Frozen, Moana, Lion King, and now Frozen 2 rank among my favorites. Incredibles is by far, my undisputed favorite Disney film. I didn't feel the sequel quite lived up to it, sadly. I waited a long, long time for it, and it kinda disappointed me. However, Frozen 2 succeeded where a lot of sequels don't. IMHO, it's worth seeing, with or without kids.

7 minutes ago, M'Kyuun said:

Reveal hidden contents

their mom, who was still a girl at the time of this part of the story, was the fifth spirit who unified the other four Elemental Spirits in the Enchanted Forest. Events transpire to anger said Elementals, and in the ensuing chaos, their father, who was still a boy, was rescued by her and taken from the Enchanted Forest before the Elementals isolated it. Having been unconscious at the time of his rescue, he had no memory of who had rescued him. I don't recall if they mentioned how they met formally, but obviously she felt drawn to him enough to hide her true nature, marry him, and bear his children, which explains the source of Elsa's power, and the role she eventually plays.

While that was my interpretation, it doesn't make sense in a few ways. You could say "he was ignorant of her origins" because he doesn't seem to know it when he relays the story to the kids, but we get a flashback of her saying "I have to tell you about my past." Then she goes looking for a way to 'help Elsa' but that doesn't make sense if she herself is the unifier... 

Um, yeah, you got me there.  

Spoiler

Unless, by choosing to live as a human isolated from the Enchanted Forest, she forfeited her 'Unifier' position, which would then pass to Elsa. The lullaby, as we learn, tells the story of the Spirits and the Enchanted Forest, so in a subtle way, she's been preparing Elsa to assume the Unifier role. However, as she sees Elsa struggling with her powers, she tells her husband her secret, and the two of them attempt to make the journey north so she can, perhaps, make a last ditch effort to unify the Spirits, lift the curse, and perhaps free Elsa of the responsibility. I'm guessing, but that makes sense to me. Alas, things go south for Elsa's parents, and their mother's spirit is trapped on that island, Elsa steps up, and all is well in the end.

11 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

This film, while still fun, delved into deeper emotional waters for several of the characters, so there's a maturity to it that smaller kids likely won't get.

That was a strong thread through the movie, basically growing older and apart but still being family. Which is fitting when you consider that a lot of the kids who first saw it are either approaching are reaching their teens by now.

Edited by Thom

10 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Um, yeah, you got me there.  

Hide contents

Unless, by choosing to live as a human isolated from the Enchanted Forest, she forfeited her 'Unifier' position, which would then pass to Elsa. The lullaby, as we learn, tells the story of the Spirits and the Enchanted Forest, so in a subtle way, she's been preparing Elsa to assume the Unifier role. However, as she sees Elsa struggling with her powers, she tells her husband her secret, and the two of them attempt to make the journey north so she can, perhaps, make a last ditch effort to unify the Spirits, lift the curse, and perhaps free Elsa of the responsibility. I'm guessing, but that makes sense to me. Alas, things go south for Elsa's parents, and their mother's spirit is trapped on that island, Elsa steps up, and all is well in the end.

I'd accept that. I do wish it had been explained a little more in the movie, as I would have sat through another ten minutes for them to do so.

Though...

Spoiler

Iduna was still a young girl when the events in the Enchanted Forest went wrong, so it's entirely possible that she had not been ready herself, and only had a vague understanding of what she would need to do as the fifth spirit.

2 hours ago, jenius said:

I liked Mila Jolovich as the 5th Element better :)

:lol: She was quite fetching- still is.

3 hours ago, Thom said:

I'd accept that. I do wish it had been explained a little more in the movie, as I would have sat through another ten minutes for them to do so.

Though...

Hide contents

Iduna was still a young girl when the events in the Enchanted Forest went wrong, so it's entirely possible that she had not been ready herself, and only had a vague understanding of what she would need to do as the fifth spirit.

That's a good point.

Spoiler

If the Forest Folk didn't believe there was a need to train her, for lack of a better word, then she would have been completely unprepared when things went awry. The best she could do in the situation was rescue the boy.  And then again, maybe at that point, she had no idea she was the fifth spirit, and only realized it as she got older, as I'm assuming she had powers, too, but kept them hidden from everyone. There's a lot that's left unexplained- wait for Frozen 3. ^_^

On 11/25/2019 at 3:37 PM, sh9000 said:

I, my wife, and 2 year old liked it.  We didn’t stay for the after credits scene though.  Just looked it up on youtube.

Damnit, now I got look up that scene. I knew we should have stayed longer.