Stargate SG1

justvinnie

I've given up on SG-1. It was the best show on TV until the writers decided to clobber us over the head with the Jack/Sam relationship. That killed the show for me and I've since stopped watching it altogether.

Stargate: Atlantis, on the other hand, is one of the best shows out there. Tight writing, excellent acting, and some very interesting storylines make for a good sci-fi show. I'm loving it far more than I ever did SG-1.

I have the first 7 seasons on DVD, I really like the show, but this last season isnt the same...I dont know, I guess RDA was a major character and to have him being in the show very litle, it isnt the same...

But on the next note, they are bringing in Ben Browder, of Farscape fame to come in, and they are bringing in Claudia Black, (Also of Farscape fame) who was seen this season for an episode, for the first 5 episodes to cover for Amanda Tapping, who is popping out a kid.

Lets wait and see..

Twich

I liked the movie, but I like "SG-1" better. And seven seasons of DVDs on my shelf kinda proves it. Though it's true that every season has some episodes that are real stinkers, the majority of them are quite entertaining. This eighth season hasn't really suffered much since many of the crew moved on to work on "Atlantis", but I'll admit that it's been a little cheesier than it used to be. Let's face it, the USAF would never let someone like RDA run an operation like the SGC. He's too big of a clown for that. And the episode with that broad from "Farscape" was all her and Dr. J. The rest of the cast was all but non-existent. It was a script written solely for a guest-star because Rick is gone much of the time and Amanda's gut poses continuity problems. But I definitely like having Anubis back, forcing Baal to be his bitch for a while. It sucks that there's only one season left of "SG-1", but thankfully "Atlantis" has been a great show to carry on the franchise.

• 8 months later...

I miss the old cast. But things change. I'm slowly getting in tune with the new crew, but the storyline just hasn't been that great after RDA became the general. At least they more or less tied up the Gou'ald arc. A few here and there left, but not many.

SGA is a little better. Fresh concept.... more or less.

I liked the first 4 seasons of sg1 then after somehow turn me off to it.

349316[/snapback]

You left in the middle of the season-ending cliff-hanger? Wow, that's harsh! LOL! Personally, the whole "Exodus/Enemies" two-parter is one (or two, depending on your point of view) of my favorites from the entire series.

Anyway... I will admit that the early seasons are the best; everything was still new and fresh. Although it was nice for the Sci-Fi Channel to pick it up after Showtime passed on season six, the cheese factor has gone up. But I like cheese... and so must other people; it still draws a huge audience, even in reruns.

Plus, it's success has also helped lead to the strong ratings for "Atlantis" and "BSG". It's been renewed for a record tenth season (gotta beat "The X-Files", can't just be tied), so you've got to give them credit for that.

• 1 year later...

Kung Flu In some of the earlier seasons episodes they would occasionally run into a planet/ culture were they had problems associated with language barriers. They would encounter a culture that Daniel had to decipher there language in order to communicate with them. But as you can easily see with shows like Star Trek and SG-1 where each week they are constantly encountering new cultures this issue would get rather cumbersome/old to plot and story progression. So the viewer has to suspend disbelief to a certain extent for the show to work properly. One way that they have gotten around this issue is that in the show most of the planets that are inhabitated by humanoids were colonized by the ancients. The people who orginally built and left the Stargates. This would make the spreading of similarities of ideas/culture very easy.

Well, my statement above is now rather moot, as I have recently finished watching the series all the way through to the end of season 9 on DVD. I love the show. And I'm a little ticked off that Sci-Fi saw fit to cancel one of their cash cows, probably to make room for trash like Painkiller Jane. And while I can agree with some that the Ori aren't as engaging as the Goa'uld, it still beats almost anything on TV. O'Neill was also my favorite of the bunch, but I think Teal'c really stole the show sometimes. I'm kinda glad that MGM has agreed to make a few movies to tie up all of the loose ends that may be left over. I've also become a fan of Stargate Atlantis, so there is that to watch whe SG-1 is gone. The last episode of this season is really going to be depressing for us fans.

I've seen up to season 8, but I'm planning on getting the season 9 box set, then season 10 and movies as well. As for Stargate Atlantis, I find the Scottish doctor and Rodney Mackay to be very annoying, but the show as a whole has grown on me, though I've only seen season 1. I'm hoping of getting the SG1 figures, but the Colonel O'niell figure is hard to find, he's my favorite character and so is Carter.

Need ten now!!!!!!!!

Its so hard to see em here because they air at an ungodly hour of the night unless u have pay-tv. And i dont. So I usually wait for the boxsets, which get released towards the end of the year.

And while Im keen for ten, Im REALLY excited for SGA 3!! Atl;antis is awesome! i like it better than the original show by a great margin.

Need ten now!!!!!!!!

Season 10 will be released on DVD in late June, just in time for the release of the movies.

I think the Ori storyline is leaps and bounds better than Season 8 (the nadir of the series and one I refuse to buy on DVD). I'd actually stopped watching the show in mid-season 1 and didn't get back into it until Atlantis was started. I prefer the earlier seasons to the later ones because it started off with a real-world feel. Very contemporary and less sci-fi than other shows.

Need ten now!!!!!!!!

Its so hard to see em here because they air at an ungodly hour of the night unless u have pay-tv. And i dont. So I usually wait for the boxsets, which get released towards the end of the year.

And while Im keen for ten, Im REALLY excited for SGA 3!! Atlantis is awesome! i like it better than the original show by a great margin.

:angry: Season 9 & 10 of SG1 are only available on satellite/cable TV in the UK along with Atlantis season 2 onwards, so i have to settle for the box sets when they come out.

So now that SG-1 and Atlantis are back, any one watching?

The situation is kinda interesting, the Ori have their hands on the incomplete Merlin weapon and the only one that can finish it, and Atlantis people got hold of three ZPM, one for Atlantis, one for the Antartica Outpost and one for the Odyssey to fight the Ori.

:huh: too bad they didn't say fart Pegasus and used the city's hyper drive to take it to Earth. :lol:

Currently watching and it's really going to be sad when SG1 finally goes off the air. Granted there are the movies and the characters can still show up on Atlantis but there is nothing to say they will or if the actors will be avaliable to do that.

It kinda feels like Farscape again but at least SG1 was allowed to go on for so long and few shows can say they last 10 seasons with movies as well. So they did have a great run. I just wish we could get a few more seasons to see more of Ben Bowder's, Claudia Black's, and Beau Bridges characters. They were new to the show but have really fit in well with the remaining cast. Especailly this season.

Wasn't really feeling the Ori at first but they've really started to be interesting as time went on. Between them and the Lucian Alliance things were going well. Not the same as the Goa'uld but no worse. Just different which I think is what they were going for and that difference takes a while to get used to since the Goa'uld had been the main bad guy for so long but even with that they are still there with characters like Baal running around.

Atlantis is really good though and I'm really interested to see what new things they are going to the throw the characters into. What I really like is that I can see the SG1 and Atlantis teams just hanging out together as while each team has similar roles that are filled the characters personalites are differnet as such that they would mesh well with each. At least I think so.

I'm waiting for seasons 9 and 10 box sets, I'm planning on getting the region 1 sets because the rest my other dvds are the R1 thinpak boxsets. Is the R1 season 9 box also thinpak?

Having seen seasons 1 to 8, it felt like season 8 was the going to be the last because of the way it ended, there was no cliffhanger, just a peaceful fishing scene at the end, and it appeared the Goa'uld were beaten since the jaffa had achieved freedom. Also O'Niell and Hammon wasn't taking a very active part in that season also gave me the impression that they were planning to end the show.

But its good to know they managed to make two more seasons, which I can't watch because i don't have satellite. It would be interesting to see how the two main farscape stars fit into the show, but its a shame O'Neill is gone, probably getting too old or something, but I'll miss his humor.

The last season of SG1 is not that great, I am really not the biggest fan of the ORI. I personally think that the series should've ended when RDA left. May be even a season before that. And I think to his discredit, RDA keeps trying to come back, and it's not doing SG1 any favors.

There are still entertaining episode, but the end is definitely rushed. Take the series finales for example, it tries to tie up loose ends, but the way it happened made me think that they didn't do any justice to some of the long drawn out plot points. Unfortunately, SG-1 in the last two seasons have been kind of like Michael Jordan coming back to the Wizards, well, that certainly didn't help his career much.

Atlantis is still fairly promising, although it seems to be no longer on the right track with the current season. (mind you, I've finished watching the entire season of SG-1 and SGA already), but it feels like SGA is starting to draw on a dry well, for example: replicators again... geez.

• 1 year later...