Stargate SG1

justvinnie

Not being very big on watching TV, I happened upon this show one night a month ago. I can't believe no one has mentioned this show here before that I can remember.

This is great on so many levels. I just wish I had started watching earlier. The movie was okay, but the series itself is a gem. It's funny and original... well sometimes. The characters are likeable except for Jackson (I dislike his dweeb character) and the special effects are great... well most of the time. Carter is a hottie. The story is engaging with very few stupid eps. Man if more TV was like this I would watch more. I often get so disgusted with the shows out there.

vinnie

I've been watching it since the beginning. The writing has been pretty strong throughout the series. Compared to some of the other shows I've seen (Battlestar Galatica anyone??), It's definately good. If you need to catch up on older episodes, check out Sci-fi on Monday nights. They usually run about four episodes in a row.

My roommate thinks this show is the best ever... I think it entirely lacks any and all badass-ness, but for a low budget Sci-Fi show, the story isn't bad at all... I think if the show had prime time money it could be awesome.

Seen a few episodes. Don't like how they had to get all PC by having the woman, for ex. Plus it's irritating that the Kurt Russel's character had to be the exact same one played by Richard Dean Anderson. Really, couldn't it have just been a different military guy?

Same thing with the nerdy scientist guy (James Spader in the movie). I like how they expanded the... Goauld (or however it's spelled) and a little bit of the greys. But along the same PC vein, the group has worse than normal pseudo-military "discipline" (and lack there-of) typicial to tv and movies. Oh well. ;)

On a first run episode I DO sit around waiting for it to come on. But last nights episode was a stinker. The first real sinker I have come across so far. It felt like a cost cutting filler episode.

But I love the series. For the longest time my wife and I couldn't figure out if we liked Farscape or Stargate better. I guess you can love both just as much for different reasons. These quality stories have ruined Star Trek Enterprise for me. They really make the ST shows seem like they are written with the least amount of effort and imagination.

I own the first two seasons on DVD. But I think I'm finished with the series. Aster the firsat two seasons, with everyone coming back to life all the time, I decided to call it quits. However, I do want to get some individual DVDs with some of my favorite episodes from thrid and fourth seasons. Especially "Window of Opportunity", the fourth season episode that hooked my on the show. It was brilliant :)

From what I've seen I do think that the characters do rise from the dead a bit much too. That's just stupid. And yesterday's brand new ep was crappy and added nothing to the series. There are some hilarious and edge of your seat eps though.

vinnie

EDIT IN: I actually don't wait around for the show. I just record them and watch at my leisure.

Edited by justvinnie

From what I've seen I do think that the characters do rise from the dead a bit much too. That's just stupid. And yesterday's brand new ep was crappy and added nothing to the series. There are some hilarious and edge of your seat eps though.

vinnie

EDIT IN: I actually don't wait around for the show. I just record them and watch at my leisure.

I agree; is not quite the best show out there but from time to time they bring some interesting points.

Just entertainign enough like star trek did on TNG

I love this show. I had been a fan of the movie when I first saw it on VHS and have been a fan of the series from the beginning when it used to come on Showtime before it came to the SciFi channel. This is one of the few shows that have lasted a long time and just keeps getting better and better with each season and has strong writing, those it does have its dull episodes and its really strong ones. I'm really looking forward to the spin-off series. There was also talk of a movie that would be done that would setup the new series and setup the final season for SG1. The new series and the final season are suppose to air at the same time as to make the change better which I think is good.

I love this show. I had been a fan of the movie when I first saw it on VHS and have been a fan of the series from the beginning when it used to come on Showtime before it came to the SciFi channel. This is one of the few shows that have lasted a long time and just keeps getting better and better with each season and has strong writing, those it does have its dull episodes and its really strong ones. I'm really looking forward to the spin-off series. There was also talk of a movie that would be done that would setup the new series and setup the final season for SG1. The new series and the final season are suppose to air at the same time as to make the change better which I think is good.

Movie? Spin off series? Final season of SG-1? What these things you speak of? I do not know of them.

vinnie

Edited by justvinnie

Not being very big on watching TV, I happened upon this show one night a month ago. I can't believe no one has mentioned this show here before that I can remember.

This is great on so many levels. I just wish I had started watching earlier. The movie was okay, but the series itself is a gem. It's funny and original... well sometimes. The characters are likeable except for Jackson (I dislike his dweeb character) and the special effects are great... well most of the time. Carter is a hottie. The story is engaging with very few stupid eps. Man if more TV was like this I would watch more. I often get so disgusted with the shows out there.

vinnie

i have th emovie and season box set 1-4. Asome show it is.

Window of Opportunity is the BEST episode of SG-1 that I've seen, and I've seen 'em all. It's enjoyable because the actors were having a blast and you could see it in the way they played their characters.

As for the movie, it's a rumour that's been circulating for some time now, about SG-1 making a feature film while working on the TV series, much as X-Files did.

Window of Opportunity is the BEST episode of SG-1 that I've seen, and I've seen 'em all. It's enjoyable because the actors were having a blast and you could see it in the way they played their characters.

As for the movie, it's a rumour that's been circulating for some time now, about SG-1 making a feature film while working on the TV series, much as X-Files did.

ever see workm hoel extreem? I loved that episode!!

Yup. The way I heard it was that it would be similar to the way the X-files movie was setup in that it could be a standalone story but at the same time the season finale would sort of set things up and the next season premire would pick up from where the movie left off. That's what they did with the X-files movie and I thought it worked well.

X-Files? The only good X-Files are the first 2 seasons. I remember being in HS and watching it religiously for the first 2 seasons. After that I kept hoping it wouldn't suck with each suceeding episode.

Ah the memories of wasted Friday evenings watching X-Files in the slums of Atlanta. That and Brisco County, Jr. Too bad that started sucking really fast with the orbs story line.

vinnie

That and Brisco County, Jr. Too bad that started sucking really fast with the orbs story line.

vinnie

Talk about a promising series going bad fast. I actually liked that series (especially Bruce Campbell) until the orbs started appearing. Then it went down the toliet fast.

Window of Opportunity is the BEST episode of SG-1 that I've seen, and I've seen 'em all.  It's enjoyable because the actors were having a blast and you could see it in the way they played their characters.

ever see workm hoel extreem? I loved that episode!!

If you are referring to Wormhole X-Treme from season 5, then yes that was a good episode.

Edited by muswp1

I am usually critical of corn ball sci-fi unless it has Arnold in it, but SG the movie was worth watching.

Really? I hated it. It came out what summer of 96? Or was that ID4? Either way, I hate it. The premise of the story was cool, but the characters really sucked. They were all so flat and stereotypical. The series has characters that are more engaging.

Damn it, there are so many eps of SG-1 I haven't seen!

vinnie

I am usually critical of corn ball sci-fi unless it has Arnold in it, but SG the movie was worth watching.

Really? I hated it. It came out what summer of 96? Or was that ID4? Either way, I hate it. The premise of the story was cool, but the characters really sucked. They were all so flat and stereotypical. The series has characters that are more engaging.

Damn it, there are so many eps of SG-1 I haven't seen!

vinnie

I just asked my roommate, he thinks the movie sucks and the series is cool too. I think one of the reasons I don't like the show is my general lack of attention span. I don't follow episodic shows... The story either has to flow, or I don't have the patients for it.

http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial.asp?a...55&obj_id=40634

STARGATE SG-1 lead takes initial dive for ATLANTIS

Richard Dean Anderson stars in pilot episode, then goes home

Dateline: Monday, January 19, 2004

By: PATRICK SAURIOL

By: News Editor

Source: Canadian Press

A story published by the Canadian Press and picked up by Yahoo has revealed that STARGATE SG-1 cast member Richard Dean Anderson will guest star in the pilot episode for STARGATE ATLANTIS -- and that SG-1 is in its final season and he's going to retire from show business.

"We're shooting [ATLANTIS] concurrently and it will hopefully pick up the ball," Anderson told the CP reporter. "I'll help launch it. I'll be in the pilot but after that I'm done."

The same article also states that SG-1 (presently in its eighth season) will end this year. If so, this is the first mention by someone working on SG-1 in an official capacity.

Got a scoop? Know something that you need to tell us about? Send it to us!

Things won't be the same with him gone. I do hope the new series is just as good as SG-1.

• 1 year later...
Why are they trying to kill off Daniel...again?

And what is with all of these special geust Jaffa- First Wayne Brady, now Issac "Chef/Shaft" Hayes? Who's next, Blair Underwood?

I'm guessing that Daniel must be ascended to defeat Anubis. This also assumes that Oma lets him do so this time around. The big questions are how did Repli-Carter ascend and why would Oma let her? It looks like Oma took her and Dr. J since both were enveloped in a flash of light, after all.

As far as the next guest-star Jaffa... I'm thinking Shaq and Kobe in a reunion beyond the stars! The emblems on their heads will go as follows and will henceforth be known to the Jaffa as "bling": Shaq will be adorned with a huge gold $ and Kobe gets handcuffs for his bling! I can't wait.

I must admit that I was bummed when Wayne Brady passed up a couple chances to use the "Does Wayne Brady have to choke a bitch?" line. And Isaac Hayes never once said "Hello, children." or asked if anyone would like to suck on his chocolate salty balls.

Edited by Die, Alien Scum!