Looking for PE upgrades for 1/48 Hawegawa YF-19 and VF1S/A - NOW CURRENTLY AVAILABLE!

Frenchmeister

Hello all.  A while back I picked up the YF-19 and VF-1S/A 1/48 Strike Super Valkyrie Hasegawa models and have been slowly amassing the parts/paints/supplies needed to build them.  I already purchased what PE parts I could find (Hasegawa 65793 for the VF-1S/A and 65794 for the YF-19).    But I can't seem to find any source for the Jasmine Model 1/48 PE sheets.  They seem to be eternally out of stock on the Jasmine website.   Does anyone here have any spare sheets of the following Jasmine Model PE sheets that they would be willing to sell?  Or know of a place that still has them in stock?

2480001 -  1/48 MACROSS PLUS YF-19 for Hasegawa

2480003 - 1/48 MACROSS VF-1S/A Skull Squadron for Hasegawa

2480004 - PE Intake cover parts for 1/48 MACROSS VF-1

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me out in finding a source for these!

Edited by Frenchmeister

There was a petition for these a few years back but it looks like we didn't get the numbers Jasmine had wanted to start a run.  I wonder why Jasmine stopped producing their VF-1 PE sets, IMO I think they look better than the one Hasegawa puts out, maybe they got in trouble :unknw:

There was a thread rolling around on the boards here somewhere regarding an all PE VF-1 Skeleton that Hasegawa displayed at one of the trade shows. Someone threw some shade at Jasmine for ripping off the design for the Jasmine 1/72 scale cutaway VF-1. But it turns out that Jasmine designed the Hasegawa display item. Hasegawa decided to not pursue the design so Jasmine released it.  

It could be that there is some understanding between Jasmine and Hasegawa regarding competing products since Hase sell their own PE. This is all conjecture of course.

At one point I considered fronting for an entire run and selling them here but that will have to come later.

Cheers,

Brett

Edited by Return To Kit Form

Lazy, obfuscating acronyms are destroying our ability to communicate.  

On 2/3/2019 at 7:09 AM, Frenchmeister said:

Does anyone here have any spare sheets of the following Jasmine Model PE sheets that they would be willing to sell?

I've got some PE sheets for sale...

05_Sheet-RollB360x3601.jpg

...but I don't think that's what you mean.  :unsure:

Wikipedia suggests over 50 common uses of the abbreviation "PE."

"Photo-etched" is not among them.  <_<

Sorry for the rant, it's a pet peeve of mine.  :5:

On 2/3/2019 at 10:22 PM, tekering said:

Lazy, obfuscating acronyms are destroying our ability to communicate.  

I've got some PE sheets for sale...

05_Sheet-RollB360x3601.jpg

...but I don't think that's what you mean.  :unsure:

Wikipedia suggests over 50 common uses of the abbreviation "PE."

"Photo-etched" is not among them.  <_<

Sorry for the rant, it's a pet peeve of mine.  :5:

Well, since I posted in the  "Model kits" section of the MW Forums (yes, I'm using another acronym) and everybody else who posted here (including yourself) knew exactly what I was referring to, I fail to see the problem.  I might suggest that if my totally appropriate use of an acronym was enough to trigger you into creating that entirely unnecessary OT post, you might need to step away from the computer for awhile.

On 2/3/2019 at 5:05 AM, Return To Kit Form said:

There was a thread rolling around on the boards here somewhere regarding an all PE VF-1 Skeleton that Hasegawa displayed at one of the trade shows. Someone threw some shade at Jasmine for ripping off the design for the Jasmine 1/72 scale cutaway VF-1. But it turns out that Jasmine designed the Hasegawa display item. Hasegawa decided to not pursue the design so Jasmine released it.  

It could be that there is some understanding between Jasmine and Hasegawa regarding competing products since Hase sell their own PE. This is all conjecture of course.

At one point I considered fronting for an entire run and selling them here but that will have to come later.

Cheers,

Brett

Looking at the PE sheets made by both Hasegawa and Jasmine, I really can't understand how they could be in competition with each other.   There might be a couple pieces that would be applied to the same areas, but the vast majority appear to be unique to each manufacturer.

20 hours ago, Frenchmeister said:

Well, since I posted in the  "Model kits" section of the MW Forums (yes, I'm using another acronym) and everybody else who posted here (including yourself) knew exactly what I was referring to, I fail to see the problem.  I might suggest that if my totally appropriate use of an acronym was enough to trigger you into creating that entirely unnecessary OT post, you might need to step away from the computer for awhile.

I thought for half a second that you might have been referring to polyethylene, ie the plastic used for polycaps in articulated model kits, so it's not surprising that others would be confused as well. I thought at first you were talking about maybe a conversion kit or something to make transformable VFs out of these kits.

I figured that if the description "PE" was good enough for Jasmine Model to use to describe their parts, it was good enough for me.

248001 PE upgrade parts for Hasegawa 1/48 MACROSS PLUS YF-19
248002 PE upgrade parts for Hasegawa 1/48 MACROSS VF-1A/J
248003 PE upgrade parts for Hasegawa 1/48 MACROSS VF-1S/A Skull Squadron
248004 PE Intake cover parts for 1/48 MACROSS VF-1

Jasmine Model - 1/48 Variable Fighters detailing parts

Edited by Frenchmeister

Are there any other upgrade sources for either the Hasegawa 1/48 YF-19 or 1/48 Strike Super Valkyrie than the Hasegawa or Jasmine Model PE sheets?  I already also picked up the 1/48 Hasegawa VF-1 Valkyrie Weapon Set. 

There are a couple of great photo tutorials available online of how to assemble/paint these two models, which will be of great help.  But I intend to purchase everything I need prior to even starting so that I have a clear plan in mind.   So any hints or links to other upgrade parts (PE or otherwise) would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Frenchmeister

Just found (and ordered) a 1/48 full color VF-1A cockpit PE upgrade kit.   And since I'm already posting this, I'll include the information/pics of the other PE upgrades I've found so far in case someone else is looking for them.  The Dream Model and Hasegawa PE sheets you can just Google to find where to buy them.  I think I got both on Ebay.  The Jasmine Model sheets currently aren't available.  If anyone has extras or knows where to get some, please drop me a PM.  Given the amount of detail they would add, there's no way I can even start my builds without them.

Edit - The Jasmine Model upgrade sheets are now being offered again for the first time in over ten years!

Dreammodel 1/48 48026 Color PE Macross VF-1A Cockpit Detail Update for Hasegawa - CLICK TO CHECK EBAY AVAILABILITY

s-l500.jpg

Hasegawa Macross 65793 Photo Etched Parts for VF-1 VALKYRIE 1/48 scale - CLICK TO CHECK EBAY AVAILABILITY

966167-27767-37-pristine.jpg

Jasmine Model - 248001 PE Upgrade parts for Hasegawa 1/48 Macross Plus YF-19 - CLICK TO CHECK EBAY AVAILABILITY

248001.jpg

248001_1.jpg

248001_M.jpg

Jasmine Model 248002 - PE upgrade parts for Hasegawa 1/48 MACROSS VF-1A/J - CLICK TO CHECK EBAY AVAILABILITY

248002.jpg

248002_1.jpg

1.jpg

5.jpg

248002_M.jpg

Jasmine Model 248003 - PE upgrade parts for Hasegawa 1/48 MACROSS VF-1S/A - CLICK TO CHECK EBAY AVAILABILITY

248003.jpg

05.jpg

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

248003_M.jpg

Jasmine Model - 248004 PE Intake cover parts for 1/48 MACROSS VF-1 - CLICK TO CHECK EBAY AVAILABILITY

248004.jpg

05.jpg

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

248004_M.jpg

There are also PE upgrade sheets for 1/72 scale VF-1, VF-11, YF/VF-19 and VF-25 models available from the same seller!

Jasmine Studio Ebay Hobby Store

s-l150.webp

Edited by Frenchmeister

On 2/15/2019 at 12:33 AM, Frenchmeister said:

Just found (and ordered) a 1/48 full color VF-1A cockpit PE upgrade kit.   And since I'm already posting this, I'll include the information/pics of the other PE upgrades I've found so far in case someone else is looking for them.  The Dream Model and Hasegawa PE sheets you can just Google to find where to buy them.  I think I got both on Ebay.  The Jasmine Model sheets currently aren't available.  If anyone has extras or knows where to get some, please drop me a PM.  Given the amount of detail they would add, there's no way I can even start my builds without them.

Jasmine's creators is actually a member here. His ID is newca. He's released and sold tons of set from the VF-11 Thunderbolt to the VF-25 Messiah. Looking at his post history you should be able to pictures and item numbers. Unfortunately the ebay store and almost everything macross-related (except the full fram vf-1) has been removed from their site and store. Originating from Chine, you might try Taobao.

Thanks for the info.  I am searching everywhere I can to locate some dusty stock sitting on a shelf somewhere.  So far, no luck. 

I may email Jasmine Model again to ask why they suspended sales and what it would take for them to resume production.  It makes no sense to me that they went through the time to design these upgrade sheets, sold them for a time but now refuse to manufacture more even though they are selling other photo etched kits on their website.   I would think that even if they aren't huge sellers, they could make a run of each type and just sell them as orders come in.  It's not as if they have an expiration date.  Possibly they have a large minimum order size from their manufacturer and they're concerned about the ROI time.  (Return on Investment for tekering)

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2019 at 3:33 PM, Frenchmeister said:

The Jasmine Model sheets currently aren't available.  If anyone has extras or knows where to get some, please drop me a PM.  Given the amount of detail they would add, there's no way I can even start my builds without them.

I can see why!  Amazing!  :o

We really need photo-etched upgrade parts for the Max Factory 1:20 Valkyrie.

On 2/20/2019 at 12:28 AM, Frenchmeister said:

Return on Investment for tekering

np thx OP ^_^

Dreammodel 1/48 48026 Color PE Macross VF-1A Cockpit Detail Update for Hasegawa

s-l500.jpg

Hasegawa Macross 65793 Photo Etched Parts for VF-1 VALKYRIE 1/48 scale

966167-27767-37-pristine.jpg

Jasmine Model 248002 - PE upgrade parts for Hasegawa 1/48 MACROSS VF-1A/J - CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE

248002.jpg

248002_1.JPG

1.JPG

5.JPG

Jasmine Model - 248003 PE upgrade parts for Hasegawa 1/48 MACROSS VF-1S/A Skull Squadron - CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE

248003.jpg

05.JPG

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

Jasmine Model - 248004 PE Intake cover parts for 1/48 MACROSS VF-1 - CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE

248004.jpg

05.JPG

01.JPG02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

Thanks for the info. Good job tracking down these. 

If you really want to pimp out your VF-1, get the resin 1/48 launch arm to hold your vak!

• 2 years later...

Well, it took some time, a lot of digging and research sprinkled with a fair bit of luck, but I did it.  I was able to purchase and now have in my possession the following Jasmine Model PE sheets:

248002 - Hasegawa 1/48 VF-1A/J Valkyrie sheet

248003 - Hasegawa 1/48 VF-1S/A Valkyrie sheet

248004 - Hasegawa 1/48 Macross VF-1 Intake Cover sheet

And just because they had it available, I also purchased:

272005 - 1/72 Macross Plus VF-11 Thunderbolt PE sheet

So here's my question.  Is there anybody here who is in/has been in regular contact with Jasmine Model (newca)?  It seems pretty obvious at this point that production is highly unlikely to ever resume for these parts.  I would like someone who knows newca to ask if I could have his blessing to take high-res scans of these sheets and post them here so that people could perform their own photo-etching to make these sheets for their personal use.    It would be such a shame to lose access to these sheets forever simply because the original manufacturer has ceased production. 

If you have any thoughts regarding this or suggestions, I would welcome them.   

Unfortunately, I have still been unable to locate the '248001 - Hasegawa 1/48 YF-19 Upgrade' sheet anywhere.  But I shall continue searching.

Edited by Frenchmeister

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the offer.  I assume you are referring to the 65794 Hasegawa YF-19 photoetch sheet.  If that is the one you have, I also purchased one awhile back.  They seem to be easy to find at a reasonable price. 

Jasmine Model also had a 1/48 photoetch sheet for the YF-19 (248001 PE upgrade parts for Hasegawa 1/48 MACROSS PLUS YF-19).  This would be the sheet that I am currently hunting for.   If anybody has an extra sheet of this, I have an extra sheet of one of the Jasmine Model 1/48 VF-1 (can't remember if it's the S/A or A/J) that I would be willing to trade.

248001.jpg

248001_1.jpg

248001_M.jpg

Edited by Frenchmeister

• 3 weeks later...

If anybody here wants 1/72 and 1/48 P.E. upgrade sheets for the VF-1, VF-11, YF-19 or VF-25, newca (Jasmine Studio) currently has them in his store on eBay.  This is the first time in over 10 years that I've seen these available.  I don't know if they're N.O.S. or new production, but if you think that you ever might want them, I'd buy them NOW.

Edited by Frenchmeister

• Frenchmeister changed the title to Looking for PE upgrades for 1/48 Hawegawa YF-19 and VF1S/A - NOW CURRENTLY AVAILABLE!
On 5/21/2021 at 12:04 PM, Frenchmeister said:

If anybody here wants 1/72 and 1/48 P.E. upgrade sheets for the VF-1, VF-11, YF-19 or VF-25, newca (Jasmine Studio) currently has them in his store on eBay.  This is the first time in over 10 years that I've seen these available.  I don't know if they're N.O.S. or new production, but if you think that you ever might want them, I'd buy them NOW.

N.O.S. = ???

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the heads up on these. I just ordered two 1/48 sets - one TV and one movie set with additional intake and exhaust details. I was going to order a few 1/72 sets also, but they sold out before I got around to it. I'll keep an eye on them to see if he gets any more in.