12 hours ago, renegadeleader1 said:

That and Paul's grandfather dying in a bullfight come from the Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson prequel books. Anderson is mentioned as a special consultant in the credits.

...Are you sure about that?

Pretty sure that it was mentioned that Paul's grandfather was killed by a bull several times in the original Dune book. To the point of the preserved and mounted head of the bull, with the preserved duke's blood still on his horn, being mentioned several times before and after the move to Arrakis.

Well, I saw it.

Didn't hate it. I expected to, since I didn't care for Bladerunner 2049, and since I think Timothee Chalemet looks like a mouse-human hybrid. But it was fine. Even if it felt like nothing really happened.

The mom easily feels like the real main character. She was great.

Oscar Isaac was annoying as usual and contributes nothing to the movie. There was no sense of a calm, effortless command that one would expect from Duke Leto. Just a lot of shouting. Too much yelling from Brolin as well.

I still think Star Wars: A New Hope is the best Dune movie.

I finished it last night only took a week.  I didn't hate it.  I didn't like it.  I still found it boring.  Like I did with the original, like I did with Blade Runner and the Blade Runner sequel , Akira to me these movies are all overrated.   Visually the are absolutely stunning.   I could stare at them all day but I feel no emotional connection to the characters or the plot.

I was about ten years old when I saw Lynch's DUNE and there was so many scenes that was just creepy AF plus it had that great line of 'He who controls the SPICE, controls the universe!' This is one of them :shok:

The new DUNE was visually pretty but doesn't imprint on my brain like the original did. Hopefully part 2 will improve on this.

3 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

I was about ten years old when I saw Lynch's DUNE and there was so many scenes that was just creepy AF plus it had that great line of 'He who controls the SPICE, controls the universe!' This is one of them :shok:

The new DUNE was visually pretty but doesn't imprint on my brain like the original did. Hopefully part 2 will improve on this.

Yep. The Barron is a talkative fellow in the book, in Lynch's version Dune, and the Sci-Fi miniseries. Villeneuve made him a quiet, brooding yet menacing antagonist. I wish he had kept that one line in part one, though. It's a good way to help ground the audience to what is going on at Arrakis.

I am curious to see what is done with the Barron in part two. It will be cool if Villeneuve gives him back some of these character-defining lines of dialogue.

Things kept coming up for us, so we didn’t get around to seeing it in the theater like we planned. We did however get to see it on hbo max. The only real complaint I have is about the soundtrack. It’s the ladies voice that seems played so loud it drowns everything out. It’s probably gonna end up as some kinda meme for the next decade.

I do have to agree with the comments about the film being almost boring. Luckily something usually gets interesting right when the exposition starts to almost become overwhelming. For anyone new to the material, it may be a tough watch. There were multiple times where I had to pause the movie to explain things to my girlfriend. She didn’t realize that parts of the movie were taking place on other worlds until about halfway through.

Overall, I think it’s a great epic movie with a very entertaining visual style that has some really amazing backgrounds to spend those long moments of exposition staring at. It’s a lot too look at and quite a bit to think about and I can’t wait for the next part and maybe even more in the future 

• 2 weeks later...

Could someone please clear something up for me? I haven't read the book in about 4 years, but I'm struggling to remember if something on-screen happened in the book or if it was just a scene invented for screen. Did the Reverend Mother Helen Gaius Mohaim actually meet face-to-face with Baron Harkonnen and instruct him to not kill Paul and Jessica...? I could swear that this never happened, what with their... peculiar... relationship with each other. Maybe my addled brain has just forgotten.

2 hours ago, Axelay said:

Could someone please clear something up for me? I haven't read the book in about 4 years, but I'm struggling to remember if something on-screen happened in the book or if it was just a scene invented for screen. Did the Reverend Mother Helen Gaius Mohaim actually meet face-to-face with Baron Harkonnen and instruct him to not kill Paul and Jessica...? I could swear that this never happened, what with their... peculiar... relationship with each other. Maybe my addled brain has just forgotten.

No, that scene doesn't exist. At least, not in Frank Herbert's original books.

I can only speculate that Villeneuve thought it was necessary to give exposition to later events that were shown on screen, and help make the Harkonnen more creepy. That said, I'm also left wondering if it was the best option? Why not reimagine one of the other scenes from part one of the novel?

Spoiler

I would have like to see Villeneuve's take on the imperial court scene, for instance. If we got that early, it might have helped give more context to the scene on Caladan where Duke Leto gets his orders to move to Arrakis. Also, once on Arrakis, there is a cool dinner party scene from the book that was left out in the movie. This happens before the Harkonnen/Sardaukar attack and would have been fun to see play out.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Sounds like it's official. Florence Pugh and Austin Butler have been cast as Princess Irulan and Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen, respectively. Production apparently has started with principal filming starting in July.

• 3 weeks later...

Christopher Walken Joins Timothee Chalamet, Zendaya in ‘Dune: Part Two’ (Hollywood Reporter)

The emperor of the universe has been found.

Christopher Walken has nabbed the plum role of Emperor Shaddam IV in Dune: Part Two, the all-star continuation to Denis Villeneuve’s Oscar-winning adaptation of the Frank Herbert science fiction classic....

the dune saga is magnificent........................the lynch version was good ..stunning........the villneuve version is better...the dunes are the best sci fi novels and movies too 

a good classics who i enjoyed wathing them...........................i have seen the first part and im waiting for  the second part.........................................👽

5 minutes ago, jenius said:

I love Walken but I would have expected the emperor to be younger. He's got a 16ish year old daughter right? 

When you're the emperor You can still have kids at 64yrs old.;)

With a 16yr old wife/concubine. :unknw: 

Edited by sqidd

1 hour ago, jenius said:

I love Walken but I would have expected the emperor to be younger. He's got a 16ish year old daughter right? 

By the books description he is 72 years old that looks like he is in his mid 30s due to the effects of spice treatments. By Villeneuves' standards that doesn't really matter give that Chani is supposed to be a scrawny half starved sixteen year old redhead with milky pale white skin from living underground all her life, because in Fremen society exposing any skin to direct sunlight is a major taboo and a waste of water which is why stilsuits are essentially head to toe gimp suits.:lol:

Meh given how good the first movie was I have faith in the casting.

10 minutes ago, renegadeleader1 said:

By the books description he is 72 years old that looks like he is in his mid 30s due to the effects of spice treatments. By Villeneuves' standards that doesn't really matter give that Chani is supposed to be a scrawny half starved sixteen year old redhead with milky pale white skin from living underground all her life, because in Fremen society exposing any skin to direct sunlight is a major taboo and a waste of water which is why stilsuits are essentially head to toe gimp suits.:lol:

Meh given how good the first movie was I have faith in the casting.

Maybe in the movie he'll be like 150 but look 72 due to spice treatments.

• 4 months later...