Caught this Friday night on HBO Max, I just grabbed a new TV too so it looked real good. Movie was interesting enough, my only exposure to Dune was the Sci-Fi/SyFy series, so I wasn't exactly hyped for this. My main problem is just getting lost in names, names of people, groups, chosen ones, I guess? They throw around really crazy names a bit too often and a bit too quickly. The house names are weird, the witch ladies names are weird, the Fremen chosen one's name is weird, I admit I got a bit lost in the names, it was a bit distracting. I enjoyed it overall but I really didn't think it was that good, entertaining enough, but nothing too special. 

It's cool how the new movie is getting people to talk about the story. What they like, what they don't like, and what falls flat.  

Frank Herbert was blazing trails in science fiction along side the likes of Isaac Asimov and Arthur C. Clark back in the day. This content is a couple generations removed from what science fiction authors are writing today and--yeah--it shows. Herbert also wanted to make his work unique so he leaned into those anachronisms---the words and terminology that were unfamiliar and often misunderstood by his western audience.

With Dune, I think the more layers you uncover, the more you're rewarded but it isn't for everyone and that's okay. One core conceit of the Dune universe that I find interesting, especially in Frank Herbert's original novels, is the idea that advanced computer/AI technology has been banned for millennia. This nudged humanity down a very different path. It feeds into why Guild Navigators, Mentats, and Bene Gesserit are a thing. As a writer, I can guess that it encouraged Herbert to create something that wasn't focused so much on technology and avoided the common sci-fi tropes. I think it worked. For the reader that is willing to put the time in, one of the questions that is asked over and over again is, was this engineered alternative path ethical?

48 minutes ago, Tking22 said:

Caught this Friday night on HBO Max, I just grabbed a new TV too so it looked real good. Movie was interesting enough, my only exposure to Dune was the Sci-Fi/SyFy series, so I wasn't exactly hyped for this. My main problem is just getting lost in names, names of people, groups, chosen ones, I guess? They throw around really crazy names a bit too often and a bit too quickly. The house names are weird, the witch ladies names are weird, the Fremen chosen one's name is weird, I admit I got a bit lost in the names, it was a bit distracting. I enjoyed it overall but I really didn't think it was that good, entertaining enough, but nothing too special. 

What is wrong with the term Kwisatz Haderach?

:p

5 hours ago, technoblue said:

I am curious to know if Villeneuve was giving a nod to the idea of having different stages of spice mutation. I think that was one if the ideas that came out of the 84 film that Frank Herbert liked? I recall reading how he was into the big spice tank and created an in-universe reason for it in his later books.

Man, I was really hoping to see his Villeneuve's take on a 3rd stage Navigator.

I haven't seen it yet, might try to sneak out of the house and watch it this week.  

Are we concerned about spoilers?  I think most of us are here because we've read the books, or seen the 1984 film or the miniseries?  I clicked on every spoiler message and didn't see anything that surprised me, lol!

43 minutes ago, peter said:

Are we concerned about spoilers?  I think most of us are here because we've read the books, or seen the 1984 film or the miniseries?  I clicked on every spoiler message and didn't see anything that surprised me, lol!

I mean, until I'd watched Dune last night I was totally unfamiliar.  Never say the '84 movie, never saw the Sci-Fi miniseries, never read the books.  I might be the minority, but I'm probably not the only one.

21 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

I mean, until I'd watched Dune last night I was totally unfamiliar.  Never say the '84 movie, never saw the Sci-Fi miniseries, never read the books.  I might be the minority, but I'm probably not the only one.

Ok that makes sense.  Spoiler tags for a while longer then.

I know they changed a few things from the 1984 version, but I'll see for myself whenever I get around to seeing this remake.

26 minutes ago, peter said:

Ok that makes sense.  Spoiler tags for a while longer then.

I know they changed a few things from the 1984 version, but I'll see for myself whenever I get around to seeing this remake.

I treat it like Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings. The film does things differently than the book. For new Dune, I think Villeneuve is even on record saying that he wanted to change up characters and shuffle things around. Part 2 could include things that were revealed early in the book or Lynch's movie so I try to tip-toe around that stuff.

As for the ancillary "universe" details... I'm not too worried about that... Just trying to feed in extra information. ^_^

Frank Herbert first published Dune in 1965. It won a Hugo Award and a Nebula Award a year later. Today, it's one of the well-known 20th century works of literary science fiction. He published his last book in 1985, before he passed. As has been noted up-thread, his son is continuing his legacy and continues to co-author books set within this universe. 

Edited by technoblue

5 hours ago, technoblue said:

One core conceit of the Dune universe that I find interesting, especially in Frank Herbert's original novels, is the idea that advanced computer/AI technology has been banned for millennia. This nudged humanity down a very different path. It feeds into why Guild Navigators, Mentats, and Bene Gesserit are a thing. As a writer, I can guess that it encouraged Herbert to create something that wasn't focused so much on technology and avoided the common sci-fi tropes.

I think there was a certain euphoria around psychedelic drugs at that time that is reflected here - why not upgrade your brain into the ultimate computer. Interestingly, LSD is slowly gaining some momentum currently in the treatment of mental illnesses.

10 hours ago, technoblue said:

IOne core conceit of the Dune universe that I find interesting, especially in Frank Herbert's original novels, is the idea that advanced computer/AI technology has been banned for millennia. This nudged humanity down a very different path. It feeds into why Guild Navigators, Mentats, and Bene Gesserit are a thing.

Ironically, the Houses of the Landsraad are just as dependent on those specialized humans as their predecessors were on the Thinking Machines.  Nothing has really changed, just the surface details.

I really missed all the political intrigue from the first half of the book and Miniseries.  I really, really enjoyed watching Paul and Irulian interact, setting the stage for the end of the novel.  (yes, I know that's miniseries only, Irulian deserved better than she got in the book).

OK... so who do you think they'll cast as the EMPEROR or Feyd in part 2?

I bet they'll cast someone non-white for the Emperor but not in a woke sense. Obviously an older actor so Laurence Fishburne or Idris Elba would be my top guesses.

Feyd could be any pretty boy but he would have to be someone well known and who can pull off a villain too. Honestly can't think of one right now, maybe Fionn Whitehead?

47 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

I bet they'll cast someone non-white for the Emperor but not in a woke sense. Obviously an older actor so Laurence Fishburne or Idris Elba would be my top guesses.

Feyd could be any pretty boy but he would have to be someone well known and who can pull off a villain too. Honestly can't think of one right now, maybe Fionn Whitehead?

Remember the actor that played King Joffrey Baratheon? There's your perfect Feyd Rautha.

56 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

I think they should get Sting back to reprise his role.....fog shower scene and everything.  🤣

3 hours ago, sqidd said:

Maybe there is hope for humanity Hollywood.

As a species we're still screwed lol

Ripley said it best;

You know, Burke, I don't know which species is worse. You don't see them f***ing each other over a goddamn percentage.

-b.

Finally watched it last night.  My only previous experiences with Dune are the 84 film and a Wiki-level readthru about some of the main book characters.

I enjoyed the current movie and thought they did a nice job with the House Atreides characters.  Definitely liked the slow pace, allowing us time to really get a feel for the universe and to “live” in it.

I am curious though to see how someone with minimal knowledge of Dune would view the movie though.

1 hour ago, Mog said:

I am curious though to see how someone with minimal knowledge of Dune would view the movie though.

My wife knows nothing of Dune and loved it. She's not much if a sci fi fan, so that says a lot.

I thought the exposition was a wee bit much. I've read the books and seen the 1984 movie. She thought the exposition was spot on.  With her input I'd say the exposition was spot on then. I'd wager that there are going to be more first time "Duners" than people that know the story seeing the movie.

I remember my wife forcing me to watch Hunger Games, and constantly having to explain “This was important in the book.”

If there’s too much of that going on in an adaptation, I get annoyed.

With this film, it doesn’t feel like that’s an issue.  

I think only the Bene Gesseret stuff would be a little hard to follow for a newbie.  Their whole genetic breeding plans and LOOOOOOONG-term planning aren’t too elaborated here.

1 hour ago, Mog said:

I remember my wife forcing me to watch Hunger Games, and constantly having to explain “This was important in the book.”

If there’s too much of that going on in an adaptation, I get annoyed.

With this film, it doesn’t feel like that’s an issue.  

I think only the Bene Gesseret stuff would be a little hard to follow for a newbie.  Their whole genetic breeding plans and LOOOOOOONG-term planning aren’t too elaborated here.

I think the only thing I explained to my wife was the Bene Gesseret were basically witches. She wasn't quite picking it up in the beginning. I can understand that. It has a sci fi feel more than a fantasy feel to it. If you're thinking along the lines of sci fi you may not make the magic connection right away.

My wife tried explaining Hunger Games to me too. I was tuned out by the time they got on the train though so it was a lost cause. I wasn't paying attention anymore.