3 hours ago, electric indigo said:

Ok but Zendaya looks more convincingly like a 14 year old.

Chani in the novels is 15 at the start of Dune(16 if you follow the prequel timeline) then 17(or 18) by the end and is physically described as a skinny redhead with all blue eyes.

So far no adaptation has gotten this right.

The actual footage does the blue-within-blue of the eyes better than those posters from earlier in the week.  Glad to see that's looking better.

The baron doesn't look big enough to me.  I always imagined him so big he had to use the suspensors to move around, as in his legs were no longer physically able to hold him he was so big.  The movies never seem to get that detail right to me.

I'm actually very impressed.

bring it on.

53 minutes ago, Scyla said:

Man, October 2022 seems so far away 😔

October 22, 2021 is the currently-scheduled release date...

...but the simultaneous HBOMax release means more people will pirate the film online than pay to watch it in a theater...

...and box-office returns probably won't be enough to guarantee the sequel gets greenlit...

...meaning a significantly long wait to see the story actually completed, if at all...

...lest we end up with another Alita: Battle Angel situation, where only the first part of the story gets filmed. :unsure:

1 hour ago, tekering said:

October 22, 2021 is the currently-scheduled release date...

...but the simultaneous HBOMax release means more people will pirate the film online than pay to watch it in a theater...

...and box-office returns probably won't be enough to guarantee the sequel gets greenlit...

...meaning a significantly long wait to see the story actually completed, if at all...

...lest we end up with another Alita: Battle Angel situation, where only the first part of the story gets filmed. :unsure:

Oh, so it is being released this year? Didn’t occur to me that it would be that way. I thought 22 meant the year since they weren’t sure if cinemas would be open in Fall 2021.

I will definitely go see it on the big screen. Hopefully with popcorn and pop.  😁

7 hours ago, Scyla said:

Oh, so it is being released this year? Didn’t occur to me that it would be that way. I thought 22 meant the year since they weren’t sure if cinemas would be open in Fall 2021.

I will definitely go see it on the big screen. Hopefully with popcorn and pop.  😁

As long as it's not 3D, I'd love to see it in IMAX!

2 hours ago, CoryHolmes said:

As long as it's not 3D, I'd love to see it in IMAX!

I haven’t seen a cinema from the inside since The Rise of Skywalker (what s waste of everyone’s time) so I will take what I can get!

3 hours ago, Scyla said:

I haven’t seen a cinema from the inside since The Rise of Skywalker (what s waste of everyone’s time) so I will take what I can get!

Holy crap! I think that was the last movie I saw in theaters too. Yikes

Chris

3 hours ago, Scyla said:

The last movie I saw in theatres was... *Endgame* I want to say?  I don't watch movies very often, and rarely in theatres even before the pandemic hit.

I'll make an exception for *Dune*, though.

I’ve been to the theaters a few times this year. I think the first one we checked out was Nobody. I actually enjoy paying that extra to get out of the house and make a day of the movies. I’ll probably check this one out on the big screen rather than sit at home. 2020 made me sick of home and I’m glad to be out and about. Going to the O.C. Fair tomorrow to make up for lost time eat some horrible food that I’ll regret later 

• 3 weeks later...

To be more specific, what really made me laugh was the scene where they're all fighting with swords and the main guy stabs someone, then stops in the middle of battle to open his visor and try to look badass.

And all the silly pseudo-religious wailing/singing.

Who knows if the movie will be good or bad. But the trailer seemed pretty cheesy IMO.

2 minutes ago, danth said:

To be more specific, what really made me laugh was the scene where they're all fighting with swords and the main guy stabs someone, then stops in the middle of battle to open his visor and try to look badass.

And all the silly pseudo-religious wailing/singing.

Who knows if the movie will be good or bad. But the trailer seemed pretty cheesy IMO.

If you’re not familiar with Dune, I can definitely forgive you that perception.  However it does deal heavily with religion/prophecy, they fight with bladed weapons because personal shields have made projectile weapons obsolete,  the scene with Paul lifting his visor is likely from a vision, or the closing scenes of the movie revealing his transformation.  Assuming the adaptation is well done it will be action packed, and very deep fate of humanity in the universe type of stuff.  Anyway, it’s not a “light” movie.  

10 hours ago, Big s said:

If I remember right they had to have special training to even be able to break through the shields. I remember it being like they almost had to meditate or something along those lines.

The shields reject anything over a certain velocity, so training to both strike just slow enough to penetrate the shield, plus training to be able to actually hit someone with such a slow strike.

From the early lessons with Gurney, there’s a focus on feints and counters.

5 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

The shields reject anything over a certain velocity, so training to both strike just slow enough to penetrate the shield, plus training to be able to actually hit someone with such a slow strike.

From the early lessons with Gurney, there’s a focus on feints and counters.

From the opening on Caladan in the 1984 movie, Gurney Hallack and Paul dueled; Gurney told Paul "Good...the slow blade penetrates the shield" (1:46):