MAAS Toys is making Veritech Hovertanks and Red Commander Bioroids w/Biover!

1 hour ago, Bolt said:

Until HG looses (I doubt they are willingly going to let go) RT , that chicken is just going to keep rotting..

That's kind of Sophie's Choice for Southern Cross fans...

If Harmony Gold keeps the Robotech franchise limping along they will continue neglecting Southern Cross becuase it's unpopular and focusing almost exclusively on Macross.

If Harmony Gold loses the Robotech franchise, it's unlikely anyone will take an interest in the Southern Cross license for its own sake since the show was a failure in Japan in its original format and a failure outside of Japan as a part of Robotech.

1 hour ago, jenius said:

I thought the South American fan was a pretty talented cg artist... Kinda seems mean to lump him in as part of the reason Academy was dead on arrival.

It's tough but fair.  The very rough, amateurish animation used in the promotional materials and the terrible and terribly unoriginal design works were targets of harsh criticism during the Kickstarter campaign.  More than a few Robotech fans suggested that it looked like Harmony Gold had outsourced animation and design to high schoolers on DeviantArt.

1 hour ago, jenius said:

I think the bigger issue was that the plot sounded recycled, they didn't address the issues with IP and who would be in the show from other generations, and that we had shadow Chronicles so the audience knew where things would go and also wondered why HG wouldn't just make a second Shadow Chronicles episode.

That was an issue, but the problems with it were so all-encompassing that no one problem can claim a majority or even plurality of credit for the failure.  A lot of Robotech fans were PO'd that it was another Robotech 1 7/8: Approximately the Sentinels type project like Shadow Chronicles or the UEEF Marines RPG sourcebook instead of just finishing Sentinels or Shadow Chronicles (or both).

1 hour ago, Bolt said:

I thought a second Shadow Chronicles was in the pipe , but failed to be seriously produced, years ago..

Given what's been leaked from Harmony Gold, Shadow Chronicles parts 2-4 were canceled shortly after part 1's release.

Tommy Yune made a lot of promises to his bosses to get funding for Shadow Chronicles part 1, and when it failed to set the world on fire like he'd promised (garnering instead a resounding "meh" from Robotech fans and going unnoticed by everyone else) they'd reminded him that the deal was parts 2-4 were to be funded by sponsors attracted by part 1 and quietly canceled the whole mess while pinning their hopes for the future on Warner Bros.

(This is why Robotech Academy was done as a Kickstarter, HG's management was flat-out done with trying to fund the Robotech franchise's development after Shadow Chronicles failed to deliver.)

1 hour ago, easnoddy said:

I would easily spend $200 on a good 1/24 Spartas/Biover/Ajax/Logan toys.  Possibly more like $250 if they're well represented.  Surely someone can make it happen.

Talk to @captain america.  Like Obi-Wan Kenobi, he is your only hope now... and his kits would be pretty much guaranteed to do a more faithful rendering of the designs than MAAS Toys.  (Assuming you can round up enough people to fund it.  We failed to do so previously.)

2 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Talk to @captain america.  Like Obi-Wan Kenobi, he is your only hope now... and his kits would be pretty much guaranteed to do a more faithful rendering of the designs than MAAS Toys.  (Assuming you can round up enough people to fund it.  We failed to do so previously.)

If I remember correctly, the Captain had plans for both a Spartan and an Auroran, and was asking to secure 30 units of each before starting working on them. The number of interested people never made it past 20. It may be worth trying to get his interest again

13 minutes ago, Convectuoso said:

If I remember correctly, the Captain had plans for both a Spartan and an Auroran, and was asking to secure 30 units of each before starting working on them. The number of interested people never made it past 20. It may be worth trying to get his interest again

The original plan was a Spartas but it mutated into a Spartas and Auroran running in parallel, IIRC.  I was one of the one who had pledged for an Auroran, which is why I mentioned it.

41 minutes ago, JB0 said:

By which you mean "made of parts imported from Gundam CG models"?

I was thinking more of the one bomber design that they stole from Transformers, the hideous Garfish class ship with all that extra junk on it, and the other "original" ship design that was just one of the Macross class gun booms on its own.

33 minutes ago, JB0 said:

I think that's what I'm thinking of. If I recall, the extra junk was cut&pasted off of something from Gundam 00.

Oh yeah, it did have some cone-like bits that looked like GN drives.

I didn't get into Macross mecha collecting until about 3 years ago.  Up until then I've only been watching the shows subtitled with no thought of looking into anything beyond that.  Not even Robotech.  I watched Shadow Chronicles a few months ago just to see what everyone was talking about.  I did a quick search for Robotech Academy and can't seem to find an video or trailers about it.  Everything official appears to have been removed.  You guys age making me curious.

Edited by DewPoint
Typo again!

46 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Oh yeah, it did have some cone-like bits that looked like GN drives.

Even better. Behold the majesty of the 'Takeru Artilery Cruser'. Yes, those are giant GN buster swords strapped to the side of the ship.

Takeru_Altilery_Cruser.jpg

Edited by anime52k8

10 minutes ago, DewPoint said:

I didn't get into Macross mecha collecting until about 3 years ago.  Up until then I've only been watching the shows subtitled with no thought of looking into anything beyond that.  Not even Robotech.  I watched Shadow Chronicles a few months ago just to see what everyone was talking about.  I did a quick search for Robotech Academy and can't seem to find an video or trailers about it.  Everything official appears to have been removed.  You guys age making me curious.

Libera temet ex infernis...

Seriously, there are things man was not meant to know.

Spoiler

Sorry, as a former classics scholar who studied classical and vulgar Latin, I feel obligated to correct Philip Eisner's sh*t-awful Latin grammar...

13 minutes ago, anime52k8 said:

Even better. Behold the majesty of the 'Takeru Artilery Cruser'. Yes those are giant GN buster swords strapped to the side of the ship.

Takeru_Altilery_Cruser.jpg

In fairness, this design improved on what (I assume) they were "homaging" (that's not a word, but I'm tired...):

eric-art-6.jpg.3ead680ed0295dfd1c8fbc60e1f93baa.jpg

26 minutes ago, DewPoint said:

I found the Macross World forum topic!

I'm just going to be over here in the corner singing Ave Maria in the hopes that we won't have to rehash that steaming turd in any detail.

41 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

In fairness, this design improved on what (I assume) they were "homaging" (that's not a word, but I'm tired...):

I don't know about improved. this one does split in half like that one ship from star trek though

RT-Academy-1.jpg.3deea4c1987e0343221f80c8f585fc90.jpg

I haven't figured out what the bottom half is but the top is 100% a Magellan-Class battleship with one of the gun booms from the DYRL version of the SDF-1 stuck on the front (they even conveniently colored the two parts differently so you can easily delineate where the two pieces are hacked together). I also recognize those outrigger engines on the top half but I can't put my finger on where they came from.

Magellan-igloo_3.jpg

Edited by anime52k8

Given that Shadow Chronicles is dead and the franchise is stagnant, it's kind of surprising to me that they don't just throw together Shadow Chronicles and Robotech Academy as comic book series. They use the possible movie as an excuse not to make anything new but the movie would just ignore everything any way.

9 hours ago, anime52k8 said:

I also recognize those outrigger engines on the top half but I can't put my finger on where they came from.

They look like the outrigger gun-arms on the Strike Gundam's METEOR system.

6 hours ago, jenius said:

Given that Shadow Chronicles is dead and the franchise is stagnant, it's kind of surprising to me that they don't just throw together Shadow Chronicles and Robotech Academy as comic book series. They use the possible movie as an excuse not to make anything new but the movie would just ignore everything any way.

That's an easy one.

Robotech fans hated Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles, so Harmony Gold won't do more comics for that for fear that it wouldn't sell.  Robotech Academy was an embarrassing and VERY public failure in no small part because the fans hated the entire premise, so they're going to bury that one and pretend it never happened like they did when that same thing happened to Robotech 3000.

Well. At least Shadow Chronicles was a completed project and could be judged as such. I enjoyed visiting it when it first came out and seeing some bit of continuation.. But by modern standards , yes it fell short. 

But, honestly, it was still the best RT project to come out of the HG maelstrom since.

At least Mark Hamill was in it..

The cup is half full.. 

Edited by Bolt

1 hour ago, Bolt said:

Well. At least Shadow Chronicles was a completed project and could be judged as such.

Shadow Chronicles was even more of an unfinished project than Southern Cross was... it's literally JUST the introductory episode for a cancelled 3-4 part OVA.

Southern Cross at least got to get over 1/3 of the way done before the network put them on notice.

At least Mark Hamill was in it..

That is called Mark Hamill slumming.

The cup is half full.. 

Half full of what is the question...

Edited by Seto Kaiba

6 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Robotech Academy was an embarrassing and VERY public failure in no small part because the fans hated the entire premise

I thought it failed because we were trash-talking it without backing at the "enemy spy" level.

3 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

That is called Mark Hamill slumming.

Haha. That’s what I thought too, at the time. I was like what is HE doing here.:lol:

3 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Half full of what is the question...

4 hours ago, NeoverseOmega said:

Half full of someone's urine sample, granted, but still half full. :lol:

Now it all makes sense!:lol:

31 minutes ago, anime52k8 said:

How am I supposed to laugh at how bad everything Robotech is when you guy's are complaining about good movies?

Which good movie? You can't mean TLJ surely?

TLJ may not be quite at Skyline's level of "WTH were they thinking" but it's certainly the worst Star Wars anything ever made.

Edited by Podtastic