Sonic The Hedgehog Movie (LIVE?) in 2019

no3Ljm

Oh man, that's bad.Ā  I got a nephew who is really into Sonic, but there's no way that I'm paying money or even giving up my time to watch that.Ā  The trailer was horrible.

They should have studied everything the Detective Pikachu movie is doing to understand how to pull it off correctly. I actually want to see the Pikachu movie and I never even played Pokemon!

Started watching the trailer, got to the bit where the mil guys appeared and already started having doubts.Ā  Whenever they have anything military in children/comedy films, it's never flattering.

ThenĀ Jim Carrey showed up and I didn't bother watching the rest......I can't be bothered with that communist swine and anything he's involved in.

Ā 

Ā 

On 5/1/2019 at 8:38 PM, AN/ALQ128 said:

Who is this movie even made for?

The studio must be a believer in "if you build it, they will come".

Ā 

1 hour ago, tekering said:

A cynic might suspect that they deliberately trotted out that sh*t-awful mess so the negative reaction would get everyone's attention and lower expectations for the final product.

It is baffling that they'd be surprised fans are upset by the trailer since they've been upset for months. The trailer is just... worse than most of usĀ imagined,Ā skinny Robotnik and all.

Itā€™s so bad..

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/may/03/sonic-the-hedgehog-movie-trailer-criticism

12 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Aļ»æļ»æļ»æ cynic might suspect that they deliberately trotted out that ļ»æsh*t-awful mess so the negative reaction would get everyone's attention and lower expectations for the fiļ»ænal pļ»æroducļ»æļ»æt.ļ»æļ»æ

:fool:

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Black Valkyrie said:

Ā 

Already like 10x's better.Ā  Really drives home how creepy that "realistic" design was.

Now if they only add some bulk to Jim Carrey around the middle.

9 hours ago, Mazinger said:

Already like 10x's better.Ā  Really drives home how creepy that "realistic" design was.

Now if they only add some bulk to Jim Carrey around the middle.

Honestly, it is amazing how much just swapping Sonics does for the movie. Once he looks like Sonic instead of what one fan described as "a pervert in a Sonic tracksuit", it is a lot more tolerable.

Heck, it even improves some of the friggin' dialog. That "Meow?" joke is stupid as all get-out with the "realistic" Sonic, but I actually laughed with the cartoony Sonic. I think it just because expectations are different for "realistic" characters than cartoony ones.

Ā 

Seconded on fixing Robotnik. Tell the visual effects team to just use models and textures lifted from the games for Sonic(since it clearly worked for "some guy in his spare time", and spend all their budget on making Jim Carrey as round as a beach ball.

Edited by JB0

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

... poor Jim Carrey.Ā  He's going to throw out his back carrying this entire film.

Man, Jim Carrey is one of the PROBLEMS. Doctor Robotnik is shaped like a beachball, Carrey's a beanpole, and the studio didn't spring for a fat suit or even throw a CG stretch filter onto him.

It was truly head-scratching casting. Fat people should be up in arms about thin actors stealing their jobs.Ā 

I bet Louis CK was originally cast but then it came out that he was... ya know.... and he got yanked (not that he's a huge guy)

You know who it should have been? Wayne Knight. But maybe that'd be too close to his Jurassic Park role.Ā 

If you're going to go Jim Carrey, why not Melissa McCarthy?Ā 

This is going to be such a train wreck.Ā