Possiblity of repair DX VF 19

Thalinarwen

Hi there I'm Mason new to the forum and to macross collection I have seen a DX VF 19 on eBay the leg seems to have popped the plastic off from around the diecast in the hip joint now have messaged the seller and he has all pieces. My question is does anyone think that it is possible to repair said item. Either by epoxy glue or via epoxy putty. Many thanks guys

I haven’t  done this particular repair but have worked with old toys and epoxy. I think it depends on the area the needs to be bonded and the surface the you can add the glue to. When that ratio is to large, the bond won’t last if the piece is subjected to repeated force.

I’ve seen some people reinforce breaks and weak areas with small peices of plastic that can then glued onto the broken area. If there’s space for it, that’s probably a good way to go.

Lately I’ve found that Apoxee clay seems to last a bit better that epoxy clay, but that isn’t a trivial application either, it’s meant more for sculpting. This is along the lines of the above “apply a splint” technique, just without the actual splint.

Edited by Mazinger

If so, that helps. If the actual plastic ball has separated from the metal shaft, you’ll need 30 minute epoxy, or maybe JB Weld. Clean all debris and old adhesive, rough up the plastic ball and metal shaft a bit to encourage a better join, mix the epoxy exactly as instructed, and apply. After joining, leave it alone for 24 hours. 48 might be better. 

Then reassamble the joint, not screwing anything together too tightly. You want a firm hold, not a death grasp on the joint. Good luck!