14 hours ago, VF-Zero said:

I wonder why they almost never make any Shinji in these figure lines... I got figma Rei and Asuka, a Rei pvc statue but no Shinji, because they don't make him...

You've made the common mistake of assuming they're character merchandise, when in fact most Evangelion figures are more like fantasy wish-fulfillment for socially-awkward Japanese guys who can't get a date... :unsure: 

That's how most of these manufacturers approach the market, anyway. <_<

100240214_01.jpg

Frankly, I'm glad there aren't more Shinji figures. 😅

22 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

I can't comment on the manga, never read it and never will, but the TV show and redone movies use "Christian" names and terms but come up with gibberish.  I also believe a lot of Christian sects come up with Gibberish too AND that goes for every other religion I can think of and all other non-religious metaphysical groups I have run across as well.  

Always loved that line and how it was said so deadpan.  George being George I still can not decide if he meant it to be irony or if it was an ooops.

There was a meme about that quote, with the picture of Absolute Vodka... xD Only a sith deals with Absolutes... you get it ? xD  Absolute Vodka is a Sith's favorite booze. HA HA

24 minutes ago, tekering said:

You've made the common mistake of assuming they're character merchandise, when in fact most Evangelion figures are more like fantasy wish-fulfillment for socially-awkward Japanese guys who can't get a date... :unsure: 

I don't think that's limited to Japan.:D

33 minutes ago, tekering said:

That's how most of these manufacturers approach the market, anyway. <_<

100240214_01.jpg

Frankly, I'm glad there aren't more Shinji figures. 😅

OMG... Is that Rei Ayanami ?!?!?! She is waiting to be pluged..... gulp.... HA HA with that you know plug suit.... HA HA...... yeeesh...

12 hours ago, Keith said:

To understand all you have to do is pay attention & watch.

Or you know, if you happen to notice subtle differences in the mytholofy of Evangelion vs the mythology of Christianity. Tiny little "nearlu" insignificant things like alien supee science used to colonize space, then userped by one said colony (Earth) in a of events to steer Evolution (Seele) and undo a perceived rejection (Gendo). 

But then it's a double edged sword to claim it not being wise to speak of absolutes when trying to claim an absolute.

😁I’m not claiming anything absolute. I’m merely quoting the creator, Anno. I’m not even sure he’s claiming anything absolute other than calling people who don’t recognize the Christian symbolism morons. I mostly just like trolling you because you’re adamant, confident, and absolute in your interpretation of Evangelion. So it’s good to bring an opposing viewpoint; especially, when the creator has made statements that seem to conflict with some of your view.

That being said, I’m actually well read in Christianity, and the symbolism would seem to be used for mystic effect as it’s certainly not an accurate representation. But I don’t over analyze it. Sometimes art is best left with whatever impression it gives you. Nothing more. Nothing less.

12 hours ago, VF-Zero said:

Only a Sith deals with absolutes... 🤪

So that my means @Keith is…. 
Well Sith are pretty badass so that’s not a bad thing.

Btw the Radio Eva figures had a Shinji that I consider quite good:

ufG8NNL.jpg

It is, of course, quite different from the series' Shinji. But that's one of the main appeals of the franchise IMO, how far you can take the source material.

Edited by electric indigo

51 minutes ago, electric indigo said:

Btw the Radio Eva figures had a Shinji that I consider quite good:

ufG8NNL.jpg

It is, of course, quite different from the series' Shinji. But that's one of the main appeals of the franchise IMO, how far you can take the source material.

What is Radio Eva ? I liked this Shinji in regular daily cloths, but i have never watched or Should i say...listened ? Radio Eva ? The Shinji i know either in school uniforme or in plug suit. I would love to own both of those versions as pvc statue and action figure but... they usually don't include Shinji in the toy lines. 😕

4 hours ago, VF-Zero said:

What is Radio Eva ? I liked this Shinji in regular daily cloths, but i have never watched or Should i say...listened ? Radio Eva ? The Shinji i know either in school uniforme or in plug suit. I would love to own both of those versions as pvc statue and action figure but... they usually don't include Shinji in the toy lines. 😕

Radio Eva is a fashion brand collaboration and the store the stuff is sold through. it's all up market brand name clothing with Evangelion theming with much of the modelling done via illustrations of the characters wearing the eva themed drip.

Edited by anime52k8

Recently re-watched the original series, and I still enjoy it after all these years and who knows how many watches later...I'm thinking of finally taking the plunge and reading the manga.

But, uh...what's up with the availability?  Anyone know where one could get the series for a reasonable price?
For the "3-in-1" consolidated version, Vol. 1, 4, and 5 I can pick up for $20/each.  Vol. 2 and 3 are no where to be found.  I've seen complete sets for $300+ but that's insane.

So...
1) what gives with the rarity of those volumes?
2) anyone know where to find the manga series?

Yeah, i don't like digital as well. I have the Evangelion 3 in 1 mangas, you never know with any manga print that whenever it will be reprinted once it goes out of print. Welcome to the capitalism, you must act fast to get them, get them as soon as printed or it is too late, you may wait 12 years or something for a reprint that will come with the release of a live action adaptation or anime adaptation. It all depends on your luck, the american publisher may print 3 in 1s again with the release of shin japan heroes in the future. It is like this 'cause  that is the only way that will put us in  to a rat race to get the mangas so the publisher company can make the most money in shortest time. Shortly, consume ! cosume ! consume ! 

It can be tiresome for consumers... That's one of the big reasons, why people quit collecting  manga or any other collectible for long while, give it a break, then come back. I am in and out of manga or toy collecting because of this, mostly. /for an example: I once quit at 2008 and came back at 2014 and eversince collecting again. 6 years of break, i really had it with them back then... xD 

Edited by VF-Zero

7 hours ago, sqidd said:

Did you miss the part where I said I can't read on a Kindle? That would suggest that I have tried.;)

That's sad.

I find the kindle and e-books so useful coz:

• you can read your books in the daytime without worrying about them turning orange
  • you can take almost 100 books with you on holiday, on business etc
  • you can download immediately without having to wait and pay for customs and shipping
  • no having to hold the book in weird positions as you get tired and it gets darker
  • no trying to find space for all your books, defending against silverfish, and lugging/sweeping around heavy containers
  • etc

Of course there is a downside to e-books:

• DRM (but there are workarounds and some books are sold DRM free😁)
  • your kindle/ hard drive crashing or getting a virus
  • your kindle getting smashed/lost/stolen falling in the washing tub due to an improbable chain of accidents
  • you accidentally deleting something
  • etc
Edited by Podtastic

• 2 weeks later...

When I saw Evangelion for the first time I thought right away that it must have been what inspired Pacific Rim. I hadn't seen Pacific Rim for quite some time. My wife picked Pacific Rim for the movie tonight. She has seen all of the Rebuild movies. I told her to watch for how much it has in common with Evangelion (in a dumbed down American way). The opening monologue/ exposition dump/ montage hit all of the "surface" Evangelion high points. Even some of the visuals.

Clearly PR is a very dumbed down version that has zero depth to it. But, it's still fun to watch.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, electric indigo said:

There's new Eva in town:

47 cm, 16.000 Yen (without the stand and the weapon)

Hadn't Meng once announced an epic vaporware line of Star Wars kits?

Tough market with the RAH and Bandai at 15" already.

• 3 weeks later...

Look up "Gundam G-Frame." Basically hand-sized toys packed alongside a piece of gum. They're sold in packs of... 6? boxes to retailers, to put on display and sell each box individually. Typically, each Gundam came in two varieties in two different boxes (so three different Gundams per G-Frame pack/release):

- one box had a fixed-pose frame plus armor

- one box had an articulated frame plus accessories (usually weapons, shield, maybe a stand, etc.)

Seems these Eva Frame are following a similar route, except it'll be

- top half (the Eva 02)

- bottom half (the Eva 02)

- armor (everything else)

- articulated frame (everything else)

+ a standalone options set to be used with the other releases?

3 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Look up "Gundam G-Frame." Basically hand-sized toys packed alongside a piece of gum. They're sold in packs of... 6? boxes to retailers, to put on display and sell each box individually. Typically, each Gundam came in two varieties in two different boxes (so three different Gundams per G-Frame pack/release):

- one box had a fixed-pose frame plus armor

- one box had an articulated frame plus accessories (usually weapons, shield, maybe a stand, etc.)

Seems these Eva Frame are following a similar route, except it'll be

- top half (the Eva 02)

- bottom half (the Eva 02)

- armor (everything else)

- articulated frame (everything else)

+ a standalone options set to be used with the other releases?

Ah gotcha. Thanks.:good:

8 hours ago, sqidd said:

What am I looking at here? These aren't Robot Spirits? If not, what are they? How big are they? How much do they cost? When will they be released?

Thanks!

Hey @sqidd. As what @kajnrig posted above this is a 'gum-toy' kit in which you have to buy 2 part box to complete 1 figure. As for the size, I believe it's around 13.5cm on the top of the head, and 14.5cm on the top of the shoulder pylons.

Here's some 'unboxing/building' videos of the first 2 volumes: