Finally watched the last movie and can sum it up as needing to dump all or at least most of the psuedo religous/mythical mumbo jumbo and instead have focused on the character arcs.  The constant barrage of gibberish only distracted from what would have been a great ending.  The bits between Shinji and his father were well done.  The time in the village was well done too.

The final scene was well done too, going from animation to live action, or at least from an animated scene to the real location it was animated from.

On 10/15/2021 at 2:42 PM, sqidd said:

Got notification that BBTS shipped my ThreeZero Unit 01 and 02 as well as the Robot Spirits 02a today.

Nice! Let me know what you think of the Robot Spirits 02a. I am waiting for other figures to come in before shipping mine. 

The Robot Spirits Unit 02a is pretty good. You can aaaaalllllmost get it to balance without the stand. But I fear just the slightest jossel would knock it over so I pulled a clear stand out to replace the red one it came with (yuck, red?). Good figure, standard Robot Spirits quality. I'm glad I got it.

IMG_9552.JPG.7fa10dc7819e8ecacf1758186513b75f.JPG

IMG_9553.JPG.d8b41d676be33adc4b8c49525c659bec.JPG

IMG_9554.JPG.2a70ce6ac4f25686776e50e304784468.JPG

IMG_9555.JPG.a8fc1f3cfd6668f4552fdf218b793fbe.JPG

Someone mentioned the NA release for the blu-rays were sold out, a few pages ago. 

In case others are still looking,  there's pre orders remaining on https://www.rightstufanime.com/category/Blu~ray?keywords=Evangelion

(Someone please update if/ when they sell out).

If you change search criteria, this merchant will sometimes have figures available to purchase as well. 

I had preordered (then canceled) a reissue gx-71 with them.  No extra charges. Really easy to work with. 

And you get discount coupons in the mail from time to time. 

(No I don't work for them) but in another life, I wish I owned a store like theirs. 

2 hours ago, f-valk said:

Someone mentioned the NA release for the blu-rays were sold out, a few pages ago. 

In case others are still looking,  there's pre orders remaining on https://www.rightstufanime.com/category/Blu~ray?keywords=Evangelion

(Someone please update if/ when they sell out).

If you change search criteria, this merchant will sometimes have figures available to purchase as well. 

I had preordered (then canceled) a reissue gx-71 with them.  No extra charges. Really easy to work with. 

And you get discount coupons in the mail from time to time. 

(No I don't work for them) but in another life, I wish I owned a store like theirs. 

Still no release for the new movie?

None for the last Rebuild movie.  I don't know that Funimation has NA rights remaining. 

A quick n dirty AJ search does not list the 3.0 + 1.0 movie.  Maybe our Japan- based friends know more the home- release status for that movie?

In a not so related news,  my hlj package finally reached u.s. soil. Surface delivery was from Aug 17 - Oct 23 just to get to New Jersey(?). I'm in Cali, so I am unsure what sea route the delivery took. 

Why I post here is because this is 1 of the items. 

https://www.hlj.com/electroys-eva-unit-01-gatling-fan-real-tokyo-iii-ver-tps61602

Screenshot_20211023-171423_Opera.jpg.ba4feb0dc82f09912ac500f76bd6f6af.jpg

I got it as a gag gift for my brother.  Did any one else here get it and like it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I finally finished the manga of the famous anime tv series Evangelion and i must say i liked the manga alot better because of the different ending. It's a deeper series than your avarage manga. It was a series that heavy on the christian mythology, especially symbolic use of christian mythology. There were probably parts that i didn't understand because i don't know christianty very well as a guy who was raised as a muslim but the human side of the story was very good, that's what really impresed me. All of the subject touched in the manga aside what they tried to achive with the story was make Shinji who was the main character want to live, he was a 14 years old angsty boy who the creative team saw as their audiance lol (i'm not Shinji, damn it ! lol) so by making Shinji want to live in the end, they hope that their audiance who are 14 years old (in spirit) sulky otakus will want to live... lol well, we all hope so. lol

It was a mecha manga and the main mecha Eva 01's design was so good, i really loved that design. The other Evas' designs which were variations of Eva 01's design were good too since the original source is very good.

Misato was such a lovely character, waifu metarial desu. :D

1 hour ago, VF-Zero said:

I finally finished the manga of the famous anime tv series Evangelion and i must say i liked the manga alot better because of the different ending. It's a deeper series than your avarage manga. It was a series that heavy on the christian mythology, especially symbolic use of christian mythology. There were probably parts that i didn't understand because i don't know christianty very well as a guy who was raised as a muslim but the human side of the story was very good, that's what really impresed me. All of the subject touched in the manga aside what they tried to achive with the story was make Shinji who was the main character want to live, he was a 14 years old angsty boy who the creative team saw as their audiance lol (i'm not Shinji, damn it ! lol) so by making Shinji want to live in the end, they hope that their audiance who are 14 years old (in spirit) sulky otakus will want to live... lol well, we all hope so. lol

It was a mecha manga and the main mecha Eva 01's design was so good, i really loved that design. The other Evas' designs which were variations of Eva 01's design were good too since the original source is very good.

Misato was such a lovely character, waifu metarial desu. :D

You don't need to understand anything about Christianity to understand Evangelion. Anno used a lot of Christian "words/names" but nothing in the story relies on knowing anything about their meaning or context. And not all of the religious words/names were Christian. 

The only religious "tie in" is that maybe you could argue that The First Ancestral Race is what humans perceived as "God".

1 hour ago, Keith said:

Yup, zero actual christianity in Evangelion, if you want to understand the story better  watch the earlier series "Nadua: The Secret Of Blue Water."

Again, despite how we might interpret the art, Anno admits to having deeper meaning and that the Christian terminology was more intentional than they originally admitted to. Direct quotes addressing it in this article from 2015. https://www.animemaru.com/hideaki-anno-admits-some-of-evangelions-religious-symbolism-may-have-deeper-meaning/

But like @sqidd said, I don’t think you have to understand the religion to enjoy Evangelion.

1 hour ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

Again, despite how we might interpret the art, Anno admits to having deeper meaning and that the Christian terminology was more intentional than they originally admitted to. Direct quotes addressing it in this article from 2015. https://www.animemaru.com/hideaki-anno-admits-some-of-evangelions-religious-symbolism-may-have-deeper-meaning/

But like @sqidd said, I don’t think you have to understand the religion to enjoy Evangelion.

Squidd doesn't say enjoy. He used the word ''understand'' he said  to understand Evangelion, you don't need to know any christianity. There is a big difference between understand and enjoy words... Ofcourse even a 4 year old can enjoy some mecha vs kaiju fights. But to understand Evangelion properly, i believe, you must know christianty and i think you must know especially the evangelist christianty and even some buddisim.

I don't claim to understand Evangelion properly. There are  somethings, i see in the symbolism, but there also big gaps to tie them all together for me because of lack of knowledge.

Squidd doesn't say enjoy. He used the word ''understand'' he said  to understand Evangelion, you don't need to know any christianity. There is a big difference between understand and enjoy words... Ofcourse even a 4 year old can enjoy some mecha vs kaiju fights. But to understand Evangelion properly, i believe, you must know christianty and i think you must know especially the evangelist christianty and even some buddisim.

I don't claim to understand Evangelion properly. There are  somethings, i see in the symbolism, but there also big gaps to tie them all together for me because of lack of knowledge.

I don't know Christianity any more than I know any other religion. I understood and enjoyed Evangelion a lot. Granted, it took multiple viewings and some EvaWiki reading to understand everything.

2 hours ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

Actually his quote is it "may have deeper meaning".

I think Anno gets off on trolling the audience a bit (can't blame him). I also think he wants Evangelion to be different things to different people. A Christian will view it differently than an Atheist or a Muslim. I think he wants different interpretations to spark conversation too. His comment when viewed through the lens of "trolling" adds right up.

I think the biggest "means different things to different people" is the difference in how it is viewed by optimists compared to nihilists. A lot of optimists see Neon as a little depressing where nihilists see it as uplifting (specifically Shinji and his choice).

12 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Actually his quote is it "may have deeper meaning".

I think Anno gets off on trolling the audience a bit (can't blame him). I also think he wants Evangelion to be different things to different people. A Christian will view it differently than an Atheist or a Muslim. I think he wants different interpretations to spark conversation too. His comment when viewed through the lens of "trolling" adds right up.

I think the biggest "means different things to different people" is the difference in how it is viewed by optimists compared to nihilists. A lot of optimists see Neon as a little depressing where nihilists see it as uplifting (specifically Shinji and his choice).

I don’t disagree with you at all. In fact, I’d venture your spot on. I interjected simply to counter the idea or statement that Evangelion definitively has nothing to do with religion or more specifically Christianity. It’s not wise to speak in absolutes unless you are the creator of the art. (Not referring to you of course.) In the article I posted, Anno states quite the opposite of @Keith’s assertions:

“It is not by pure chance that the Eva units are derived from an Angel named Adam,” he said, “any moron should be able to tell this references Adam and Eve. Evangelion Unit-01 standing as the final testament to humanity’s existence and Eve being one of the first humans in the Bible is not just coincidence. Then there is Lilith who is suffering on the cross pieced by the Lance of Longius, how much more obvious do I need to be?”

17 minutes ago, sqidd said:

I don't know Christianity any more than I know any other religion. I understood and enjoyed Evangelion a lot. Granted, it took multiple viewings and some EvaWiki reading to understand everything.

I must add when i talk about Evangelion, i mostly have manga in the mind as canon for me. Because, i like the manga the best. I must also add, i haven't seen the rebuiled of Evangelion series yet. I also enjoyed The TV series and especially the manga, otherwise what the heck i am doing here... xD.  But i won't go as far as saying i understand everything about Evangelion. It is deeper than any anime or manga, i have ever read and watched. There are so many lairs...  Christianty, Buddism, Psychology are all there in the story, either audio dialog, visually symbolism or symbolism in written dialog or written describtion. 

No worries friend. I wasn’t commenting in regard to your statements. I don’t think anyone should claim to understand Evangelion haha. I’m right there with you.

1 minute ago, VF-Zero said:

I must add when i talk about Evangelion, i mostly have manga in the mind as canon for me. Because, i like the manga the best. I must also add, i haven't seen the rebuiled of Evangelion series yet. I also enjoyed The TV series and especially the manga, otherwise what the heck i am doing here... xD.  But i won't go as far as saying i understand everything about Evangelion. It is deeper than any anime or manga, i have ever read and watched. There are so many lairs...  Christianty, Buddism, Psychology are all there in the story, either audio dialog, visually symbolism or symbolism in written dialog or written describtion. 

The EVA TV series was one of the first anime I watched from beginning to end. I loved it and it left an impression on me 20+ years later (in the form of spending a lot of money on figures). However, after reading the manga, I completely agree that the manga tells the story better and has a satisficing ending. 

All this Evangelion talk fired me up, just pre ordered ''Medicom RAH, Eva 01'' :) I wonder why they almost never make any Shinji in these figure lines... I got figma Rei and Asuka, a Rei pvc statue but no Shinji, because they don't make him... I also don't have the girl with the glasses in pink plug suit, Eva pilot, because i haven't seen The Rebuild of Evangelion Films yet. So i got no desire to have her, yet.

7 minutes ago, General Rasp said:

The EVA TV series was one of the first anime I watched from beginning to end. I loved it and it left an impression on me 20+ years later (in the form of spending a lot of money on figures). However, after reading the manga, I completely agree that the manga tells the story better and has a satisficing ending. 

Yeah, man. 100% agree with you. The End in the manga was so much better. It was part of the story the creative team were telling from the begining. Unlike the TV series, where they just rip us apart from the story, put in to somekind of 2 episode ''save shinji'' operation.  Manga also end with the ''save shinji'' operation but it was better understandable and as a part of the Evangelion story, as a proper ending. 

1 hour ago, sqidd said:

Otherwise known as my dream girl.:wub:

When i first watched the anime tv show at 2003, i was 19 so Rei Ayanami kind of felt attractive to me. Asuka was an annoying bully and Misato was too old.  When i read the manga at 2017, at the age of 32, Misato at her late 20s was so irresistible... A  real Woman.

Edited by VF-Zero

43 minutes ago, VF-Zero said:

When i first watched the anime tv show at 2003, i was 19 so Rei Ayanami kind of felt attractive to me. Asuka was an annoying bully and Misato was too old.  When i read the manga at 2017, at the age of 32, Misato at her late 20s was so irresistible... A  real Woman.

Ahhhhhh, to be 19 again. Or even 32.:rofl:

12 hours ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

No worries friend. I wasn’t commenting in regard to your statements. I don’t think anyone should claim to understand Evangelion haha. I’m right there with you.

To understand all you have to do is pay attention & watch.

12 hours ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

I don’t disagree with you at all. In fact, I’d venture your spot on. I interjected simply to counter the idea or statement that Evangelion definitively has nothing to do with religion or more specifically Christianity. It’s not wise to speak in absolutes unless you are the creator of the art. (Not referring to you of course.) In the article I posted, Anno states quite the opposite of @Keith’s assertions:

Or you know, if you happen to notice subtle differences in the mytholofy of Evangelion vs the mythology of Christianity. Tiny little "nearlu" insignificant things like alien supee science used to colonize space, then userped by one said colony (Earth) in a of events to steer Evolution (Seele) and undo a perceived rejection (Gendo). 

But then it's a double edged sword to claim it not being wise to speak of absolutes when trying to claim an absolute.

I can't comment on the manga, never read it and never will, but the TV show and redone movies use "Christian" names and terms but come up with gibberish.  I also believe a lot of Christian sects come up with Gibberish too AND that goes for every other religion I can think of and all other non-religious metaphysical groups I have run across as well.  

4 hours ago, VF-Zero said:

Only a Sith deals with absolutes... 🤪

Always loved that line and how it was said so deadpan.  George being George I still can not decide if he meant it to be irony or if it was an ooops.

Edited by Dynaman