4 hours ago, General Rasp said:

All three that you mentioned, Unit 00 with the NERV missile, Unit 02 Beast mode, and Unit 03 are all the older style. I personally don't have any experience with them. But if they are similar to the old Gundam robot spirits then they maybe iffy. The easiest way to tell the new ones from the old ones is the packaging. The old ones have the clear plastic front and the new ones have photos of the figures on the front. 

Below is the tamashii website I was using for reference. The older figures were re-released in 2012 and that is were the website starts. They don't list all the original figures.

https://tamashii.jp/item_brand/robot_tamashii/1/?number=20&order=new&character=evangelion&sub_brand=&ck1=1&ck2=1&ck3=1&ok=Narrow+down+by+this+condition#category_search

:hi:

Ha! It figures. Oh well, I don't play with my toys. I'll just have to be careful with them.

I just... I mean... I tried to watch this movie, I really did.  But the Rebuild series and I parted ways since the second movie, and this didn't bring me back into the camp.

Truthfully, I've realized that I really only like the first 3/4 of the tv series.  The beginning had everything I liked as a subversion of the usual mecha anime.  The pilot falling into the cockpit as a trope, and then failing miserably to even make the robot walk.  The Omniscient Council of Vagueness trope, balanced by the niggling idea that they and NERVs leaders don't really have humanity's best interests at heart.  Showing the constant stress put on these child soldiers and watching them crumble instead of magically being perfect at everything.

The end of the series wasn't to my taste, End of Eva just went too Far Out There (tm), and the Rebuild movies just went waaaaay too far against what I enjoyed about the series.  It does look mightily pretty, though ^_^  The Rebuild fight against Ramiel is a thing of beauty, watching as this Alien Thing cycles through its shapes and realizing that it probably exists in more than just three spacial dimensions, plus the power of it's main weapon on display was gorgeous.  I kinda miss the Space Shuttle Shield, though :D

But I'm glad that others are enjoying it and it works for them.  Not the first time (especially on THESE forums ^_^ ) that my tastes don't jive with the majority.

9 hours ago, CoryHolmes said:

But I'm glad that others are enjoying it and it works for them.  Not the first time (especially on THESE forums ^_^ ) that my tastes don't jive with the majority.

I hear where you're coming from.

I'm not actually a anime fan. I liked Akira, SDFM, DYRL and Plus. And Evangelion. Oh wait, I liked the Netflix Ultraman and Castelvania. And I did like Evangelion. The show and the Rebuilds. I have as strong connection with Shinji though and I love the mecha so that would explain a lot.

I've tried watching super robot stuff. Nope.

Maybe I'm not watching the right stuff.

I collect toys because I think they look cool. Not because I like the anime stuff their based on....for the most part. Macross and Evangelion excluded.

57 minutes ago, sqidd said:

I've tried watching super robot stuff. Nope.

Maybe I'm not watching the right stuff.

If I may make a suggestion:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_Robo:_The_Day_the_Earth_Stood_Still

It's a '90s OAV series in a deliberately '70s style, with animation so exquisite it took nearly a year for each episode to be produced.  It shares a lot of Evangelion's angst, but it's also twice the fun. :D

Mecha fans will throw recommendations at you left, right and center, but nothing comes close to Giant Robo. 🔒

To me Eva will always be the Original TV series w/D&R and EoE.        The Rebuild movies looked great and the first 2 were mostly recaps with some very visually appealing battle scenes.   The 3rd had such a jarring disconnect from the TV series that it lost me,  much the same as it did Shinji.   IMO 3.33 went too far off the rails and became something else entirely.      The final movie really had to work to bring it back into Focus,   I do believe it did a pretty good job of that and overall I was happy with it.     If this is the final Eva animation ever produced I am happy with where it finished.. no more and no less.

Again though the utter disconnect during 3.33 really jars the viewer and is probably the low point of the whole project.

So between the TV series,  Renewal/Rebuild movies,  and the Manga... which do you prefer?

1 hour ago, tekering said:

It's a '90s OAV series in a deliberately '70s style, with animation so exquisite it took nearly a year for each episode to be produced.  It shares a lot of Evangelion's angst, but it's also twice the fun. :D

Mecha fans will throw recommendations at you left, right and center, but nothing comes close to Giant Robo. 🔒

I loved that anime. Had it on VHS. 

2 hours ago, tekering said:

Blu ray set has been announceed almost ten years ago for a release here in Italy. So far nothing yet but i keep on crossing my fingers because it is definitely a great series!

6 hours ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

To me Eva will always be the Original TV series w/D&R and EoE.        The Rebuild movies looked great and the first 2 were mostly recaps with some very visually appealing battle scenes.   The 3rd had such a jarring disconnect from the TV series that it lost me,  much the same as it did Shinji.   IMO 3.33 went too far off the rails and became something else entirely.      The final movie really had to work to bring it back into Focus,   I do believe it did a pretty good job of that and overall I was happy with it.     If this is the final Eva animation ever produced I am happy with where it finished.. no more and no less.

Again though the utter disconnect during 3.33 really jars the viewer and is probably the low point of the whole project.

So between the TV series,  Renewal/Rebuild movies,  and the Manga... which do you prefer?

Nadia > TV+EOE > Rebuild > Manga.

I place the manga lowest simply because it was lacking a fullness that the other versions had. The scene with Gendo actually defending Shinji during the Nerv invasion was manga's highpoint for me.

5 hours ago, technoblue said:

The comments in this thread remind me that I still need to watch Nadia.

After finishing the Rebuild movies, I think I will start over again from there.

Three things you should know before you start:

1. Everything Anno worked on before he left is epic, this includes the ending thankfully. Unfortunately NHK wanted the production run extended by 10 more episodes which Anno fought back on, resulting in him quitting from Gainax (the first time).

2. The "Island Episodes" were outlined, but finished after he left to stretch out the runtime. As such there"s some serious gold there, you just have to look a little harder for it.

3. The "Africa Episodes" are absolute garbage in every conceivable way. I can only imagine they were conceived in by the remaining staff rebellion to punish the network for making Anno quit.

3B. If you ever come across the movie sequel "Nadia The Movie" run! It is literally a trap.

I need a suggestion about the new Eva toys. I wanted to buy the new version of the Eva 02 as it appears in the 3.0 + 1.0 movie(the green armored one, as it is shown in the final battle just to be clear). I noticed that there are two versions of it, one from Bandai and the other from Kayodo. The kayodo seems taller but with weird proportions while the bandai looks a bit shorter but with better proportions and more details. Does anyone own any of them? What are your thoughts about these two toys?

Thank you in advance!

1 hour ago, Ryoma said:

I need a suggestion about the new Eva toys. I wanted to buy the new version of the Eva 02 as it appears in the 3.0 + 1.0 movie(the green armored one, as it is shown in the final battle just to be clear). I noticed that there are two versions of it, one from Bandai and the other from Kayodo. The kayodo seems taller but with weird proportions while the bandai looks a bit shorter but with better proportions and more details. Does anyone own any of them? What are your thoughts about these two toys?

Thank you in advance!

I'm pretty sure the Bandai hasn't started shipping yet??? I PO'd the Bandai one. Looks like the Kayodo is on PO too. Hasn't shipped yet??? I'm not sure you're going to be able to get a first hand comparison.

I've had too many bad experiences with Kayodo quality to send my money their way anymore.

15 hours ago, Ryoma said:

Thank you in advance!

Both of the figures aren't out yet, but should release this month. The Kayodo build quality can be very bad at times with their EVA figures. And their articulation system can be very frustrating if you aren't used to it. I would recommend going with robot spirits by Bandai. See my post on the previous page, I go over the robot spirit line for Sqidd. 

4 hours ago, General Rasp said:

Both of the figures aren't out yet, but should release this month. The Kayodo build quality can be very bad at times with their EVA figures. And their articulation system can be very frustrating if you aren't used to it. I would recommend going with robot spirits by Bandai. See my post on the previous page, I go over the robot spirit line for Sqidd. 

I second this. I've never been happy with any of the Kaiyodo Revoltechs I've had. I'm sure they've improved somewhat, but that's not something I'm willing to test with my own wallet.

G-Kids just announced the TV show limited edition. I already ordered, but I didn't realize until afterwards that it does not include Fly Me To The Moon for any of the endings. Now I'm kind of sick to my stomach to be honest. Too expensive for an incomplete version. It's like owning Evangelion, but not owning Evangelion.

https://store.gkids.com/pages/neon-genesis-evangelion?utm_source=General Anime List&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=NGE Ultimate Pre-order (TagC4x)&utm_id=NGEnewsletteraug19&_kx=JgEtAAGKhX9P_mtYWNDXkubsJKXuUwRQ6bKdIMQ-9THA_R7HLhQIjyIMdYQcUNNP.Vqqx2y

NGE_UE_01_2x.webp

Edited by 100mega

"Neon Genesis Evangelion Ultimate Edition" Bluray set
Open for preorder in UK.

UK/Ireland: https://evangelion.alltheanime.com/

US: https://store.gkids.com/pages/neon-genesis-evangelion

AU: https://www.madman.com.au/actions/channel.do?method=view

A quick tl;dr:

- original series + both movies (11 discs total)
- includes both the new official dub/sub AND old dub/sub
- artwork from Japanese laserdisc release
- 156-page booklet
- 11x (Eleven) 12"x12" art boards
- Sachiel resin paperweight
- NERV ID card + lanyard
- no "Fly Me to the Moon" endings

The NEON GENESIS EVANGELION: Ultimate Edition was created by fans as the definitive celebration of one of the most important and influential anime series of all time, featuring exclusive artwork, merch, a 156-page book, and over 7 hours of bonus features. Spread over 11 discs, this set contains the Official Dub and Subtitled versions, and bonus Classic Dub and Subtitled versions.

Limited to 1,500 copies for the UK & Ireland, and sold exclusively on the All The Anime Store.

Featuring

• Limited Edition Artwork
  • Bonus Classic Dub and Subtitled Versions
  • 156-Page Book
  • Art Boards
  • Sachiel Resin Paperweight
  • NERV ID Card w/ Lanyard

The international re-release of NEON GENESIS EVANGELION does not contain "FLY ME TO THE MOON" in any of its home video editions.

ULTIMATE EDITION FEATURES
LIMITED EDITION ARTWORK
The Ultimate Edition is encased in a premium-quality rigid-board shoulder box featuring artwork never before released in the UK. These renderings of Asuka and Rei were previously featured on the Japanese LaserDisc release, and are further accented with a hi-build UV treatment on the title and characters, with micromotion on the LCL around Rei. The set also includes two sturdy fold-out disc carriers featuring LaserDisc artwork of Shinji & Gendo on one with Misato & Kaji on the other.

BONUS CLASSIC DUB
AND SUBTITLED VERSIONS
In addition to the Official Dub and Subtitled versions, there is an extra set of discs including the bonus Classic Dub and Subtitled versions for the twenty-six episode series, as well as the films EVANGELION:DEATH (TRUE)2 and THE END OF EVANGELION.

156-PAGE BOOK
A perfect-bound 156-page book collects promotional posters and artwork, a glossary of Angels and EVA units, a timeline of key moments in the release of NEON GENESIS EVANGELION, full credit lists for each episode, detailed surveys of all 26 NEON GENESIS EVANGELION episodes, and more.

ART BOARDS
Eleven double-sided 12x12" art boards are a high-quality replication of the full character-based artwork from the famed Japanese LaserDisc release. Printed on sturdy cardstock, these art boards are ready for wall display or additional framing.

SACHIEL RESIN PAPERWEIGHT
A limited edition resin paperweight modeled on Sachiel, the 3rd Angel. Sachiel is the first Angel to appear in NEON GENESIS EVANGELION and emerges from the sea in EPISODE:1 ANGEL ATTACK

This paperweight was created exclusively for the Ultimate Edition.

NERV ID CARD W/ LANYARD
Recreated from its appearance in NEON GENESIS EVANGELION, this double-sided guest ID Card features the NERV organization logo and includes a reusable 450mm lanyard adorned with the Magi System’s signature "EMERGENCY" indicators.

This ID Card and lanyard are created exclusively for the Ultimate Edition.

Yeah, I was hoping to clear out my old ADV Platinum release to make room for this, but nope!

I shall still pre-order, as I want those EOE Remaster, but a serious "wow" on the FMTTM thing.

Definitely glad I picked up the Japanese big blue cube release.

Very tempting to get the TV series on blu-ray. But $274 is out of my price range and the ending credit not having "Fly me to the moon" kills it for me at that price. The website mentions there are future editions on the way so I will hold out and hope they have another edition with the end credit song. 

I want to make sure everyone knows this isn't just the ending. The background music in episode 15 when Misato is walking home from the bar with Kaji has also been removed and replaced with silence as it is the instrumental version of the song.

9 minutes ago, General Rasp said:

Very tempting to get the TV series on blu-ray. But $274 is out of my price range and the ending credit not having "Fly me to the moon" kills it for me at that price. The website mentions there are future editions on the way so I will hold out and hope they have another edition with the end credit song. 

There will be a regular non-LE release at the end of the month, that will also be missing FMTTM. It'll probably only have newer translation as well.

8 hours ago, General Rasp said:

Thank you both but it seems like HLJ has the kayodo ready to ship... 

https://www.hlj.com/evangelion-evolution-ev-021-evangelion-unit02a-kyd10328

Anyway, at this point i might even wait for a HG  release from Bandai so it will be perfectly scaled with all my others old (very old)eva kits.

I have the ADV Platinum DVD set and the standard blu-ray box set from Japan. I'm thinking I'll skip this "ultimate" box set and wait for a limited edition or whatever it is GKIDS plans to announce in 10 days. Maybe a steelbook release? I would be down for that, more so if it retains a tiny bit of the artwork from this set.

Edited by technoblue

Does anyone know if the Medicom RAH Unit 01 Awakening was some sort of limited edition or something? Holy smokes, It's $1800 on Mandy! And Mandy prices are pretty representative of the market.

I hope they re-issue like they did with the 01 and 13,

02003400590.jpg

Edited by sqidd

10 hours ago, 100mega said:

G-Kids just announced the TV show limited edition. I already ordered, but I didn't realize until afterwards that it does not include Fly Me To The Moon for any of the endings. Now I'm kind of sick to my stomach to be honest. Too expensive for an incomplete version. It's like owning Evangelion, but not owning Evangelion.

https://store.gkids.com/pages/neon-genesis-evangelion?utm_source=General Anime List&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=NGE Ultimate Pre-order (TagC4x)&utm_id=NGEnewsletteraug19&_kx=JgEtAAGKhX9P_mtYWNDXkubsJKXuUwRQ6bKdIMQ-9THA_R7HLhQIjyIMdYQcUNNP.Vqqx2y

NGE_UE_01_2x.webp

I was tempted to get this but with missing content I'm sticking with my 2015 JP blu-ray set.

Finally took the time this past week to watch the four Rebuild movies ... whoa. Thankful that there was a slightly less confusing ending to the series. Sorta. I had only watched the original series previously and found the ending to be really confusing/jarring. Still need to watch the End of Evangelion movie.

16 minutes ago, ValkAddict said:

Finally took the time this past week to watch the four Rebuild movies ... whoa. Thankful that there was a slightly less confusing ending to the series. Sorta. I had only watched the original series previously and found the ending to be really confusing/jarring. Still need to watch the End of Evangelion movie.

Yeah I’m a bit unsure how I feel about it. The original ending versus the rebuild ending is quite different albeit both a little surreal.

1 hour ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

Yeah I’m a bit unsure how I feel about it. The original ending versus the rebuild ending is quite different albeit both a little surreal.

After reading some "Wiki" Fandom type stuff to get a better idea of the "reality" of things they make a lot more sense to me now. That said, The endings are pretty bat crap out there. A whole lot of "WTH is going on now". LOL! I liked the Rebuild ending. I liked that Shinji got his dad issues figured out, he was happy, he completed the "hero's journey".......and ended up with the smokin hottie with the big boobs (her words) and glasses.:D

As a person who trends toward navalistic and has worse than abandonment issues with my dad I found the ending ......maybe hopeful is the best word.  Maybe some day I can be happy.

I hope that wasn't an over share.

1 hour ago, sqidd said:

After reading some "Wiki" Fandom type stuff to get a better idea of the "reality" of things they make a lot more sense to me now. That said, The endings are pretty bat crap out there. A whole lot of "WTH is going on now". LOL! I liked the Rebuild ending. I liked that Shinji got his dad issues figured out, he was happy, he completed the "hero's journey".......and ended up with the smokin hottie with the big boobs (her words) and glasses.:D

As a person who trends toward navalistic and has worse than abandonment issues with my dad I found the ending ......maybe hopeful is the best word.  Maybe some day I can be happy.

I hope that wasn't an over share.

I don't think it's an overshare, man. I can relate in many ways, and I'm sure there are a ton of others too. In that sense, it probably resonates well for many. Just not sure if I prefer the ending unresolved like the original (darker) or tied up a bit like Rebuild (lighter). I think I appreciate both and look at them as separate tellings of the same story - almost like a choose your own adventure. If I were to guess, it probably reflects Anno's maturity and growth over the last 25 - 30 years. Most of us have a worldview that evolves (whether we are aware and intentional of it or not).

4 hours ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

I don't think it's an overshare, man. I can relate in many ways, and I'm sure there are a ton of others too. In that sense, it probably resonates well for many. Just not sure if I prefer the ending unresolved like the original (darker) or tied up a bit like Rebuild (lighter). I think I appreciate both and look at them as separate tellings of the same story - almost like a choose your own adventure. If I were to guess, it probably reflects Anno's maturity and growth over the last 25 - 30 years. Most of us have a worldview that evolves (whether we are aware and intentional of it or not).

Anno was near suicidal when he did the first ending. It shows.

As far as "different" endings..................isn't there the theory that they're two different stories because the same thing keeps happening over and over again? Like The Matrix.

3 hours ago, sqidd said:

Anno was near suicidal when he did the first ending. It shows.

As far as "different" endings..................isn't there the theory that they're two different stories because the same thing keeps happening over and over again? Like The Matrix.

Totally. Like a reincarnation