Something about the Damashii New Eva-02 looks off to me. It looks a little bit more blocky than the Revoltech. Im still buying it though because the fit and finish as usual will be better than any Revoltech. Here are some pics of the revo that has zero revoltech joints. 

EVANGELION EVOLUTION New EVA-02 Alpha EVANGELION EVOLUTION New EVA-02 Alpha EVANGELION EVOLUTION New EVA-02 Alpha EVANGELION EVOLUTION New EVA-02 Alpha EVANGELION EVOLUTION New EVA-02 Alpha

The Revoltech figure looks more color accurate over the Damashii figure, but I just can't bring myself to give Revos another chance.

Anyone else pick up the Dynaction Unit 01? I'll say I get the complaints about the nub marks, but I'll be damned if it doesn't look awesome. I've never gotten to try one of the RAH due to the price, but having a huge eva is just so cool. I do wish I could feel more confident that they'll produce a good spread of the units, but the sad reality is that we will be lucky to get Unit 00 after 02. The price point for this series makes me think more complicated designs are off the table. Just imagine how gigantic Unit 13 would be with appropriately sized spears! Oh, right, the RAH exists.

IMG_6705.jpeg

Considering the EVA design is similar across all the units and they already have the mold, Bandai probably already has plans for other units. I can see them doing the "base" of every unit, even the Mark VI. I don't think we would get of the crazy EVA equipment designs though. Like mentioned above they would be massive. Plus the Dynaction EVA 1 sold out, so they won't be shelf warmers. 

My pipe dream would be see the Mass Production Eva with wings and a spear, completely over the top and far to big to display other than from hanging from the ceiling. :D

48 minutes ago, General Rasp said:

My pipe dream would be see the Mass Production Eva with wings and a spear, completely over the top and far to big to display other than from hanging from the ceiling.

A Dynaction Mass-Production EVA? 

__ayanami_rei_nagisa_kaworu_and_mass_pro

I'll take NINE, please. 8)

8 hours ago, anime52k8 said:

I really want a Unit 08 to go with 02 personally. that's a long shot though.

I'll take one too. I love the design of the head and the general color.

2 hours ago, easnoddy said:

I'll quit after the 02 (unless they make 4-armed 03).  I don't care for the Rebuild 00 as much as the 00' from the TV show.  In general I like the show designs better.  Especially the 00' and 03, despite them having the same body.

I have abstained from buying all new mecha related merch from the rebuilds since 2007 because I have always vastly preferred the original designs myself. Personally I feel that Rebuild isn't as good as the OG and so while I've been gobbling up the new movies and enjoying them for the most part I've been living sternly in NGE land as an eva fan. Lately though...the hype for the new movie has consumed me and I'm beginning to realize that while the designs in 1.11 and 2.22 didn't really do it for me I'm over the moon for the beta versions of Unit 02 and Unit 08, Mark.09 and Unit-13. Having all of those in Dynaction size would be wild. I have to admit though that the stuff in 3.0+1.0 that we've seen so far is a little too busy for my tastes.

Oh yeah, I was poking around the wiki last night trying to get all the unit names straight and saw that the new design for Unit 01 is based on this picture from 1998 by the original designer. Pretty cool!

fwEUXg6.jpg

2 hours ago, General Rasp said:

Considering the EVA design is similar across all the units and they already have the mold, Bandai probably already has plans for other units. I can see them doing the "base" of every unit, even the Mark VI. I don't think we would get of the crazy EVA equipment designs though. Like mentioned above they would be massive. Plus the Dynaction EVA 1 sold out, so they won't be shelf warmers. 

My pipe dream would be see the Mass Production Eva with wings and a spear, completely over the top and far to big to display other than from hanging from the ceiling. :D

I would love to see them stray from the path they've taken with the RG releases and give us an eva unit that hasn't had much love yet. It would be awesome for Bandai to bring all these along with weapon packs or whatever to make up for just throwing in knives and pallet rifles.

1 hour ago, tekering said:

A Dynaction Mass-Production EVA? 

__ayanami_rei_nagisa_kaworu_and_mass_pro

I'll take NINE, please. 8)

Hang em from the ceiling fan and listen to Tamashii no Rufuran on repeat all day!

Edited by 100mega

25 minutes ago, crackpot said:

Not really. It's still available at certain places. If anything, I think the threezero Evas might take the attention away from it. 

When I was looking a few weeks ago I was having trouble finding a store state side that had open pre-orders. I couldn't find an available pre-order but did find an eBay seller that had one at retail price ($190) with free shipping. Looks like the figure is in stock on at most US stores. 

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/129581

I have a Threezero Eva 1 on pre-order at BBTS, really looking forward to that figure also. Wish I would have ordered through ThreeZero's store. 

The way I hear it, the 01's Rebuild design is closer to what was originally intended, and the extra lanky TV version was something of a fluke...? Anyone care to confirm/debunk that notion? Either way, I too find I prefer the TV design to the Rebuild version... Come to think of it, the EoE version had some proportion changes that put it more in line with the future Rebuild movies as well, didn't it?

52 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

The way I hear it, the 01's Rebuild design is closer to what was originally intended, and the extra lanky TV version was something of a fluke...? Anyone care to confirm/debunk that notion? Either way, I too find I prefer the TV design to the Rebuild version... Come to think of it, the EoE version had some proportion changes that put it more in line with the future Rebuild movies as well, didn't it?

Yup, look at my post. That's the art by Yamashita Ikuto from the 1998 book Soreo Nasumono / Evangelion Concept Design Works. It's funny how close it is!

9 hours ago, General Rasp said:

you can say the same thing about the metal build  EVA's and yet we haven't gotten past unit 2.  I'm still holding out hope but I'm not going to be surprised if they don't go all out with either design. I'll just be disappointed.

2 hours ago, anime52k8 said:

I'm still holding out hope but I'm not going to be surprised if they don't go all out with either design. I'll just be disappointed.

Bandai are not known for being completionists... :(

...but at least they continue to produce product (unlike Takatoku or Yamato)...

...of reliable quality (unlike Toynami or Evolution Toy)...

...at affordable prices (unlike ThreeZero or Arcadia).

2 hours ago, tekering said:

...at affordable prices (unlike ThreeZero or Arcadia).

I don't have much ThreeZero items and the Eva Unit-01 Robo-dou being the first but looking at their catalog, their prices seem to be better or comparable to Bandai given what's being offered. Unless, you were referring to Sentinel, which is a blatant rip off. 

Actually, I was thinking more of ThreeZero's DLX line of expensive Transformers that can't, you know, transform... but in fact, I'd probably confused them with Flame Toys Kuro Kara Kuri line of overpriced Transformers (that can't, you know, transform).  :unsure:

And yes, Sentinel definitely belongs on that list, despite the quality of their products. 

The Robo-dou will be my first ThreeZero product also and I am eager to have it in hand. Yes, it is more expensive than the Robot Sprits but has more paint and better sculpt work. My concern is the build quality for this line. Based on reviews, the ThreeZero transformers are well built with great articulation and paint. Hopefully the Robo-dou is more like the Transformers line than their earlier work. As long as the figure can pose without issue the money will be well worth for me.  

And Sentinel is pricing me out too. For the price they charge I expect to move an arm or leg without pieces falling off. 

1 hour ago, General Rasp said:

The Robo-dou will be my first ThreeZero product also and I am eager to have it in hand. Yes, it is more expensive than the Robot Sprits but has more paint and better sculpt work. My concern is the build quality for this line. Based on reviews, the ThreeZero transformers are well built with great articulation and paint. Hopefully the Robo-dou is more like the Transformers line than their earlier work. As long as the figure can pose without issue the money will be well worth for me.  

And Sentinel is pricing me out too. For the price they charge I expect to move an arm or leg without pieces falling off. 

I think you'll be quite impressed with the Unit 01 from threezero in-hand. Excellent heft, and a good amount of articulation, but could be better. The size is also great at around 9 inches. The color in-hand is also quite true to the movies with a satinish / pearl like shimmer to the paint. No erroneous gimmicks or over-engineering going on here. Just a good solid, heavy EVA that feels like a metal pole that is articulated. 

PXL_20210304_041447033.NIGHT_2.thumb.jpg.5da70d1a3cbbe3efa91517754fdabfc4.jpg

PXL_20210304_043044779.NIGHT_2.thumb.jpg.ad32b6b12f590b573ccd4ab0d4242646.jpg

PXL_20210304_044113115.NIGHT.thumb.jpg.e895b0f5baf930117d3ff26b47b2690c.jpg

2 hours ago, SuperHobo said:

I think you'll be quite impressed with the Unit 01 from threezero in-hand. Excellent heft, and a good amount of articulation, but could be better. The size is also great at around 9 inches. The color in-hand is also quite true to the movies with a satinish / pearl like shimmer to the paint. No erroneous gimmicks or over-engineering going on here. Just a good solid, heavy EVA that feels like a metal pole that is articulated. 

I love that Batou Figma! The berserk head on that threezero figure is awesome and looks exactly like the TV show. Nice pics. I definitely felt tempted.

Anyone been following the hype on the new movie while trying to avoid spoilers? Eva monkey posted this video yesterday and I'm just dying for a chance to see the new movie. It sounds like it may have accomplished the task of redeeming the rebuild series for those that haven't cared for some of the changes made along the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRsX3dyxP8U

5 hours ago, SuperHobo said:

Thanks for sharing your impressions! Hopefully the figure reaches US retailers soon. HLJ got their stock today because it went from 'Order Stop' to 'Discontinued'. 

Did you order directly from ThreeZero? Seems like this figure has been slow to reach retailers.

Thanks for sharing your impressions! Hopefully the figure reaches US retailers soon. HLJ got their stock today because it went from 'Order Stop' to 'Discontinued'. 

Did you order directly from ThreeZero? Seems like this figure has been slow to reach retailers.

This was supposed to be released 4th qtr last year but you know, that pandemic thing changed the schedule. I will have mine probably by the end of the week. I'll see how it stacks up against the Dynaction.

4 hours ago, General Rasp said:

I ordered from the chosenprime. They got unit 01 2-3 weeks ago. They also seem to be getting a lot of threezero products pretty fast. 

11 hours ago, SuperHobo said:

I ordered from the chosenprime. They got unit 01 2-3 weeks ago. They also seem to be getting a lot of threezero products pretty fast. 

Thanks! Remember skipping The Chose Prime because BBTS was a little cheaper. Guess I will put in my pre-order for Unit 02 with TCP and see what happens.

30 minutes ago, General Rasp said:

Thanks! Remember skipping The Chose Prime because BBTS was a little cheaper. Guess I will put in my pre-order for Unit 02 with TCP and see what happens.

Hopefully, you also have a few other orders coming in at that time to get the free shipping. Otherwise, single shipments under $150  from TCP have gotten pricey. 

12 minutes ago, SuperHobo said:

Hopefully, you also have a few other orders coming in at that time to get the free shipping. Otherwise, single shipments under $150  from TCP have gotten pricey. 

Good to know. I should have one or two items showing up in March that will push shipment order above $150.

If you want to pre-order the Robot Spirits EVA-02a head over to BBTS! $119

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/155004

A few days ago this was showing as almost $200 with a non-refundable fee for preordering. I'm glad it's changed.

I hope they tweak the main color of the Bandai one as I feel it's a little too forest green...

sgsdfgsdfg.PNG

Just some quick comparisons between the ThreeZero Robo-dou and Bandai Dynaction. No action photos here. You can pretty much get an idea how big each Eva is from the photos. The Robo-dou is quite hefty and probably close or a little bit heavier than the Dynaction. Both have diecast parts. I think the Dynaction has it more in the inner frame of the torso, joints, and feet. The Robo-dou's diecast is on the thighs, lower legs, toes, biceps, forearms, and probably some on the torso and joints (not sure on those two). The Robo-dou feels really solid while the Dynaction can be wobbly when you handle it. It doesn't mean that the Dynaction is loose. If I have to describe it, it's like touching or moving jello around. When the figure is handled, the limbs tend to wobble like... jello. :P

Both have good articulation with the Dynaction having more range of motion and points of articulation. The Dynaction has full arm rotation on the elbow joint and limited bicep rotation. The Robo-dou only has limited bicep rotation. Both have limited torso rotation due to how the Eva is designed though. The Dynaction has 3, one on each torso section while the Robo-dou only has 2 located on the lower sections. (Edit: the Robo-dou has 3 points of articulation on the torso but the top doesn't move sideways). The Dynaction has better range with forward and backward bending as well and better neck joint range. The Robo-dou has pull down hip joints. It looks better on the Robo-dou as it lessens the gap between the thighs and the hips while allowing a lot of articulation range when needed. That gap can be unsightly on the Dynaction giving it a wide hips look. Joints are quite tight on the Robo-dou. Both use friction joints and I do wonder how well both will last or how soon the joints will become too loose.

The Dynaction leans to being violet while the Robo-dou leans toward purplish. The greens on the Robo-dou are iridescent and can glow in the dark with UV lighting. The Robo-dou has a wider shoulder profile while the Dynaction is narrow. I guess this will depend on which part of the animation you watch as to which is more accurate. Accessory wise, the Robo-dou has the advantage for me as it has a berserk mode headsculpt and entry plugs. Everything else is almost the same. 

I think the Robo-dou has the most value with quality at around 120 USD without shipping. The Dynaction is close to $200 but feels less premium. My understanding is that the Dynaction is an oversized robot spirits version with diecast added. I may be wrong on that information though. The Robo-dou makes the Metal Build Evangelion forgettable. Lol!

20210313_115600.thumb.jpg.0910cd73a24b29f6a647117fb58a960e.jpg

20210313_115609.thumb.jpg.f0a90a9201306762885f3f6d7c6dfdb4.jpg

20210313_115620.thumb.jpg.3536f6f5d4cd97c70ed95cb58b5dc4e0.jpg

20210313_115628.thumb.jpg.33171b8e4af46c3aadd50e5ca5019473.jpg

20210313_115636.thumb.jpg.1ae7cd1895124b78e507ee076d69a9c2.jpg

Edited by crackpot

38 minutes ago, anime52k8 said:

the robo-duo looks so tiny.  like is it any bigger than an RG eva kit?

I don't have the RG kit. Standing straight from head to toe without the antenna, it is just slightly below 10 inches. With the thighs pulled out, it's at 10 inches I would say.

Edited by crackpot

8 hours ago, crackpot said:

I think the Robo-dou has the most value with quality at around 120 USD without shipping. The Dynaction is close to $200 but feels less premium.

Geography makes all the difference, I guess.  Here in Japan, the Robo-Dou had an MSRP of ¥16,000; the Dynaction, at twice the size, had an MSRP of only ¥18,000.  

That's a no-brainer. ^_^

The Robo-dou feels really solid while the Dynaction can be wobbly when you handle it. It doesn't mean that the Dynaction is loose. If I have to describe it, it's like touching or moving jello around. When the figure is handled, the limbs tend to wobble like... jello. :P

That sounds more like you're describing the Real Action Heroes EVA. :unsure:

Accessory wise, the Robo-dou has the advantage for me as it has a berserk mode headsculpt and entry plugs. Everything else is almost the same. 

Does the Robo-Dou come with an in-scale pilot figure as well?

25 minutes ago, technoblue said:

The Robo-Duo stands head and shoulders above the Metal Build Eva-01.

Figuratively, or literally? :p

Or both...? :lol:

9 hours ago, crackpot said:

Just some quick comparisons between the ThreeZero Robo-dou and Bandai Dynaction. No action photos here. You can pretty much get an idea how big each Eva is from the photos. The Robo-dou is quite hefty and probably close or a little bit heavier than the Dynaction. Both have diecast parts. I think the Dynaction has it more in the inner frame of the torso, joints, and feet. The Robo-dou's diecast is on the thighs, lower legs, toes, biceps, forearms, and probably some on the torso and joints (not sure on those two). The Robo-dou feels really solid while the Dynaction can be wobbly when you handle it. It doesn't mean that the Dynaction is loose. If I have to describe it, it's like touching or moving jello around. When the figure is handled, the limbs tend to wobble like... jello. :P

Both have good articulation with the Dynaction having more range of motion and points of articulation. The Dynaction has full arm rotation on the elbow joint and limited bicep rotation. The Robo-dou only has limited bicep rotation. Both have limited torso rotation due to how the Eva is designed though. The Dynaction has 3, one on each torso section while the Robo-dou only has 2 located on the lower sections. (Edit: the Robo-dou has 3 points of articulation on the torso but the top doesn't move sideways). The Dynaction has better range with forward and backward bending as well and better neck joint range. The Robo-dou has pull down hip joints. It looks better on the Robo-dou as it lessens the gap between the thighs and the hips while allowing a lot of articulation range when needed. That gap can be unsightly on the Dynaction giving it a wide hips look. Joints are quite tight on the Robo-dou. Both use friction joints and I do wonder how well both will last or how soon the joints will become too loose.

The Dynaction leans to being violet while the Robo-dou leans toward purplish. The greens on the Robo-dou are iridescent and can glow in the dark with UV lighting. The Robo-dou has a wider shoulder profile while the Dynaction is narrow. I guess this will depend on which part of the animation you watch as to which is more accurate. Accessory wise, the Robo-dou has the advantage for me as it has a berserk mode headsculpt and entry plugs. Everything else is almost the same. 

I think the Robo-dou has the most value with quality at around 120 USD without shipping. The Dynaction is close to $200 but feels less premium. My understanding is that the Dynaction is an oversized robot spirits version with diecast added. I may be wrong on that information though. The Robo-dou makes the Metal Build Evangelion forgettable. Lol!

20210313_115600.thumb.jpg.0910cd73a24b29f6a647117fb58a960e.jpg

20210313_115609.thumb.jpg.f0a90a9201306762885f3f6d7c6dfdb4.jpg

20210313_115620.thumb.jpg.3536f6f5d4cd97c70ed95cb58b5dc4e0.jpg

20210313_115628.thumb.jpg.33171b8e4af46c3aadd50e5ca5019473.jpg

20210313_115636.thumb.jpg.1ae7cd1895124b78e507ee076d69a9c2.jpg

Thanks for the review and impressions!