9 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Got it. And that's why it's really hard to tell what's what with DHL. Because based on the sample quote of a shoebox size that I posted earlier, the price is so astronomical. When the Voltes V order that I have with AmazonJP which I think it will use DHL, the shipping is just Y8000 something. 

So it's what we're saying earlier. We just use the JapanPost chart as a guide to reference to have an idea how much might cost us. Because I'm pretty sure retailers have discount, just like what you said, in which we as a customer will not see it first-hand while ordering.

And currently, we know that there's no JapanPost EMS and SAL. We just use its pricing chart as a reference since it's more accessible than DHL's.

How are you correlating a JP Post cost to a DHL cost? 

That Voltes shipping was REALLY inexpensive. That box is massive!!! Amazon gets crazy shipping discounts.

13 minutes ago, sqidd said:

How are you correlating a JP Post cost to a DHL cost? 

That Voltes shipping was REALLY inexpensive. That box is massive!!! Amazon gets crazy shipping discounts.

Ok. I don't think we're understanding each other here. I already posted some example on the pricing that I'm getting from a DHL sample quote that I'm doing versus the price that I get from AmazonJP. The use of JapanPost pricing is just to use it as a reference due to the fact that I can't access a direct price quoting chart for DHL. Not to mention the discount the retail shop gets which in turn we're not sure how they price it because it's really different from the price that I'm seeing from the DHL Get-A-Quote site.

I have an item here that I just purchased from AmazonJP to use it as an example. I checked the invoice and its label, compare it to the DHL quote site, and with the JapanPost EMS site. And like I said, I'm just using JapanPost as a reference and not as a 'final' quote for DHL.

I paid $16.70 for shipping at AmazonJP using DHL. Since I still have the box here with the shipping label on it, I used that info on the DHL quote site and it gave me two options of Y14500 and Y15170. Please note the quote are shipped from Japan to US. And since the weight of the package is 0.94kg, I cross-checked JapanPost's EMS pricing for the said weight and it says Y2900 shipped to the US. I also just check the Buyee DHL page and it shows Y3974 for 1kg to US. So I don't know why the Get-A-Quote page is 10x.

Now, assuming that there's a discount for retailers to bring that Y14500 quote down to let's say the original $16.70 amount that I paid for it. What are the chances for us to find out DHL cost while we place order to estimate it since DHL is the only option we have from Japan? Because at this point, the cost that I found at JapanPost is closer to what I paid shipped from AmazonJP than the $140 quote that I got directly from the DHL website. Hence, I'm just saying we're looking at JP's as a reference.

1 hour ago, anubis20 said:

DHL goes by volumetric weight, I had an 8 pound package that was charged as a 22 pound package because of the size... the shipping cost was almost $200 back in April.

I feel you @anubis20. 22lbs is basically 10kg. So I can't imagine how much it's going to be. :( And it's hard not to argue how an 8lbs become 22lbs package. That's why it's very hard to decide because shipping cost really add to the burden. So it's really nice to have initial idea how much it's going to be since the only option we have right now is DHL.

What are the chances that the price chart on the DHL Buyee is accurate and being used for retailers?

Anyways, how I really wish that all the shops here in the US will carry everything, that way, we're just going to order here directly because if the total is just going to be the same, then it's just best to order it here. As long that preorder will be easy. :rolleyes:

21 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Ok. I don't think we're understanding each other here. I already posted some example on the pricing that I'm getting from a DHL sample quote that I'm doing versus the price that I get from AmazonJP. The use of JapanPost pricing is just to use it as a reference due to the fact that I can't access a direct price quoting chart for DHL. Not to mention the discount the retail shop gets which in turn we're not sure how they price it because it's really different from the price that I'm seeing from the DHL Get-A-Quote site.

I have an item here that I just purchased from AmazonJP to use it as an example. I checked the invoice and its label, compare it to the DHL quote site, and with the JapanPost EMS site. And like I said, I'm just using JapanPost as a reference and not as a 'final' quote for DHL.

I paid $16.70 for shipping at AmazonJP using DHL. Since I still have the box here with the shipping label on it, I used that info on the DHL quote site and it gave me two options of Y14500 and Y15170. Please note the quote are shipped from Japan to US. And since the weight of the package is 0.94kg, I cross-checked JapanPost's EMS pricing for the said weight and it says Y2900 shipped to the US. I also just check the Buyee DHL page and it shows Y3974 for 1kg to US. So I don't know why the Get-A-Quote page is 10x.

Now, assuming that there's a discount for retailers to bring that Y14500 quote down to let's say the original $16.70 amount that I paid for it. What are the chances for us to find out DHL cost while we place order to estimate it since DHL is the only option we have from Japan? Because at this point, the cost that I found at JapanPost is closer to what I paid shipped from AmazonJP than the $140 quote that I got directly from the DHL website. Hence, I'm just saying we're looking at JP's as a reference.

But, this entire discussion started based on the DHL shipping cost from AE. Using AmazonJP as a point of reference is useless because AmazonJP shipping prices are unusually low due to Amazon's massive buying power and volume with DHL.

You will find that places like Manda, Buyee, Tenso, etc are going to be a far better reference for DHL shipping costs than AmazonJP or JP Post.

The only thing AmazonJP DHL costs correlate to is AmazonJP shipping costs.

Edited by sqidd

21 hours ago, Negotiator said:

i dont know yet from dhl...still waiting.  I was only looking at the japan post rate chart and basing it off packed weight.

Have you already receive the shipping cost from AE?

I checked HLJ and it looks like the item is available to add it in the cart to get an estimate on how much shipping cost is going to be. DHL is Y7230 and thru FedEx is Y7530. I have a few recent purchases from Mandarake, AmiAmi, and AmazonJP to compare the prices, weight, and box sizes. And shipping prices for each really varies. I have a big box but weigh lighter (1.5kg) and it costs me Y5460 for the shipping. I have a smaller box but weigh heavy (2.5kg) and it cost me Y2030 for the shipping. I was expecting the smaller box is going to be expensive because of the weight. And all of these via DHL. These prices are not as astronomical as to what I got using DHL quote site. Unless retailers really get 80% discount for using them. ;) 

Let me know if the AE shipping cost is same or close as HLJ's. It's too bad that we can't check DHL easily like other shipping methods do to estimate and plan for any purchase abroad. I'm just glad that HLJ has stock of the item in question to get a good idea on how much to ship via DHL.

6 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Have you already receive the shipping cost from AE?

I checked HLJ and it looks like the item is available to add it in the cart to get an estimate on how much shipping cost is going to be. DHL is Y7230 and thru FedEx is Y7530. I have a few recent purchases from Mandarake, AmiAmi, and AmazonJP to compare the prices, weight, and box sizes. And shipping prices for each really varies. I have a big box but weigh lighter (1.5kg) and it costs me Y5460 for the shipping. I have a smaller box but weigh heavy (2.5kg) and it cost me Y2030 for the shipping. I was expecting the smaller box is going to be expensive because of the weight. And all of these via DHL. These prices are not as astronomical as to what I got using DHL quote site. Unless retailers really get 80% discount for using them. ;) 

Let me know if the AE shipping cost is same or close as HLJ's. It's too bad that we can't check DHL easily like other shipping methods do to estimate and plan for any purchase abroad. I'm just glad that HLJ has stock of the item in question to get a good idea on how much to ship via DHL.

nothing from AE yet.  I'll post as soon as they tell me.

uh  

Fast Shipment (15840 YEN)  Economy Shipment (15840 YEN)

what happens if i ask for refund or try to get my CC to do it?

nvm, i read the faq.  20% hit.  hmm

Edited by Negotiator

• 2 weeks later...

I got the Dynaction Eva-01.  Its big, nice heft and pretty darn cool. 

The chest is definitely not big/wide enough and the lower torso is maybe a bit too thick.  The neck is missing the middle orange sections present in nearly every other representation of the Eva-01.  Not sure why they made that design decision, but it is what it is.  I'm happy to have it and for me its the definitive EVA toy/figure. 

Not sure if I'll get the 02.  If I do, I might as well get the Threezero Patlabor 2&3 but I'm paring down my collection at the moment to only "important" things (including getting rid of at least half my HMR valkyries). 

damn! the Threezero Eva looks fantastic beautiful box art as well!, I have so much stuff in Preorder from different places not sure to add this one too  :unsure:, today in AmiAmi appear again the PO for CCSTOYS Shin Mazinger and preorder right away seen some preview videos of it and it looks awesome,  this year for me is already packed with awesome figures in PO. 

my wallet this year already looks like  like this poor mascot. 

giphy.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I need you guys to school a Evangelion newb.

I watched Neon Genesis on NF about a year ago. I felt like I was missing something the entire time. I was. I didn’t catch all of the subtle religious and philosophical tones. And I was pretty lost at the end. But, I felt that I liked it and said to myself I would take another crack at it.

After that I ran across a YouTube video by a “philosopher” that explained all of the philosophy/religious tones. That was a big help.

I’m now watching Neon Genesis again. I’m a little more than half way through. I’m getting it this time and enjoying it a lot more.

I just ran across another YouTube video that asked the question of if you need to watch Rebuild. I think I do (you tell me). So that begs the question, how? I’m not going to read subs. By the time I watch TV I’ve generally been working at light speed in front of a computer all day. Frankly, I don’t have the bandwidth to read TV. Nor do I want to. So, I need good English dubs. Are these good English dubs and is this all of Rebuild? Is this Rebuild?

Evangelion: 1.11 You Are {Not} Alone [Blu ray] [Blu-ray]

Evangelion: 2.22 You Can {Not} Advance [Blu-ray]

Evangelion 3.33: You Can (Not) Redo [Blu-ray]

And then there is also the question of what else should I watch?

Thanks!

Edited by sqidd

Should you watch Rebuild? Yes, yes you should. Should you get into other Evangelion movies and media? Yes, yes you should. :p

The three Rebuild films in your list are the ones that have been released, and that have been available on Blu-ray for a while now. I think they do have a well-regarded localized English dub and use the same voice actors from the anime (it's been a while, though; I'm more of a sub guy now). Hideaki Anno has been working on the fourth and final film, Evangelion 3.0+1.0, which is due to come out this year (baring any additional delays). No idea if there's a dub planned for the new film. I think the licensing for Evangelion in the US has changed hands in the interim. 

Not sure if you're also asking about plot points, though, especially those specific to instrumentality and what comes afterward. @Keith is guiding you in the right direction, if you are. There's a reason our mate has the Seele logo as his avatar. He knows his stuff.

Edited by technoblue

2 hours ago, technoblue said:

Hideaki Anno has been working on the fourth and final film, Evangelion 3.0+1.0, which is due to come out this year (baring any additional delays).

The final film was supposed to be released this January but was postponed again due to the worsening COVID in Japan. I think this is the second postponement of the film as it was supposed have been released summer last year, so the joke in the community is that the title of the final film is "You can (not) watch" or something like that.

1 hour ago, pafy6285 said:

The final film was supposed to be released this January but was postponed again due to the worsening COVID in Japan. I think this is the second postponement of the film as it was supposed have been released summer last year, so the joke in the community is that the title of the final film is "You can (not) watch" or something like that.

Yeah. The final film has been a long time coming. I'm okay waiting for a few more months, or even until the end of the year (if need be). To think, the first film was released back in September 2007. 

22 hours ago, sqidd said:

I need you guys to school a Evangelion newb.

I watched Neon Genesis on NF about a year ago. I felt like I was missing something the entire time. I was. I didn’t catch all of the subtle religious and philosophical tones. And I was pretty lost at the end. But, I felt that I liked it and said to myself I would take another crack at it.

After that I ran across a YouTube video by a “philosopher” that explained all of the philosophy/religious tones. That was a big help.

I’m now watching Neon Genesis again. I’m a little more than half way through. I’m getting it this time and enjoying it a lot more.

I just ran across another YouTube video that asked the question of if you need to watch Rebuild. I think I do (you tell me). So that begs the question, how? I’m not going to read subs. By the time I watch TV I’ve generally been working at light speed in front of a computer all day. Frankly, I don’t have the bandwidth to read TV. Nor do I want to. So, I need good English dubs. Are these good English dubs and is this all of Rebuild? Is this Rebuild?

Evangelion: 1.11 You Are {Not} Alone [Blu ray] [Blu-ray]

Evangelion: 2.22 You Can {Not} Advance [Blu-ray]

Evangelion 3.33: You Can (Not) Redo [Blu-ray]

And then there is also the question of what else should I watch?

Thanks!

You should definitely watch the Rebuild movies. I watched the original series back in 2000 and loved watching the rebuild movies when they were released. I haven't watched the movies dubbed but if you enjoyed the Netflix dubbing then you will enjoy movies. I believe the voice actors are different just so you are aware, if that kind of thing bothers you. 

The first movie sticks to original series but the second and third movie deviate. It is still Evangelion but don't panic if you are watching the second and it isn't matching up with the series. Then you will be all caught up for the final movie that will hopefully be released state side this year. I would go to a theater to watch that movie during Covid. Even if I had to wear a mask and hazmat suit. 

If you are looking for more Eva media I recommend reading the Eva manga. It sticks to the original series pretty well but explains things better and has my favorite ending. There are five books in total, first one is linked below.

https://www.amazon.com/Neon-Genesis-Evangelion-Vol-1/dp/1421550792/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2XYNG5MTVEWV1&dchild=1&keywords=evangelion+manga&qid=1612190258&sprefix=evangelion+man%2Caps%2C205&sr=8-2

They also are publishing the light novels. The novels are again an alternate version but takes place after the end of the series.

https://www.amazon.com/Neon-Genesis-Evangelion-ANIMA-Light/dp/164275708X/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2XYNG5MTVEWV1&dchild=1&keywords=evangelion+manga&qid=1612190258&sprefix=evangelion+man%2Caps%2C205&sr=8-6

2 minutes ago, General Rasp said:

You should definitely watch the Rebuild movies. I watched the original series back in 2000 and loved watching the rebuild movies when they were released. I haven't watched the movies dubbed but if you enjoyed the Netflix dubbing then you will enjoy movies. I believe the voice actors are different just so you are aware, if that kind of thing bothers you. 

The first movie sticks to original series but the second and third movie deviate. It is still Evangelion but don't panic if you are watching the second and it isn't matching up with the series. Then you will be all caught up for the final movie that will hopefully be released state side this year. I would go to a theater to watch that movie during Covid. Even if I had to wear a mask and hazmat suit. 

If you are looking for more Eva media I recommend reading the Eva manga. It sticks to the original series pretty well but explains things better and has my favorite ending. There are five books in total, first one is linked below.

https://www.amazon.com/Neon-Genesis-Evangelion-Vol-1/dp/1421550792/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2XYNG5MTVEWV1&dchild=1&keywords=evangelion+manga&qid=1612190258&sprefix=evangelion+man%2Caps%2C205&sr=8-2

They also are publishing the light novels. The novels are again an alternate version but takes place after the end of the series.

https://www.amazon.com/Neon-Genesis-Evangelion-ANIMA-Light/dp/164275708X/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2XYNG5MTVEWV1&dchild=1&keywords=evangelion+manga&qid=1612190258&sprefix=evangelion+man%2Caps%2C205&sr=8-6

Thanks!:hail:

@sqidd What they all said. Definitely watch Rebuild. I won't attempt to add anything more than what has been said, but agree that it's worth watching. My understanding is that Rebuild has been an attempt at ironing out some of the confusion or where they wanted to improve the story flow? Though others might be more knowledgeable on it.

2 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

@sqidd What they all said. Definitely watch Rebuild. I won't attempt to add anything more than what has been said, but agree that it's worth watching. My understanding is that Rebuild has been an attempt at ironing out some of the confusion or where they wanted to improve the story flow? Though others might be more knowledgeable on it.

I read that when the creator (can't remember his name ATM) did the OG series he was really depressed. He wanted to do it again when he wasn't. That was not the only reason though. There was something about him not being happy with the state of Anime in JP and he wanted to put out some quality work to make the point that it could still be done. And lastly, but not confirmed, "cashing in" on the OP allowed him to start his own production company where he could put out quality work and not have to listen to the "suits" anymore. All that makes me respect the guy. Pretty cool.

Is there anything else out there other than Rebuild to watch? It looks like there are some "recap" type stuff and directors cut things. Is there any other "series" or movies that are a must?

19 hours ago, Keith said:

There are no true religious undertones in Eva, it's actually all aliens & colonizing. If you really want to understand it, watch "Fushigi no Umi Nadia."

Thanks for the tip! Curious why you would say there are no true religious undertones? Even if just meant to be used as symbolism or a metaphor, there are clear religious references throughout even though I would agree that they aren't anchored in any literal way. It's been said that Hideaki Anno created this at a time when he was going through an existential crisis of sorts, so even if the story is anchored in aliens and colonizing it has philosophical/existential undertones to be sure.

5 minutes ago, sqidd said:

I read that when the creator (can't remember his name ATM) did the OG series he was really depressed. He wanted to do it again when he wasn't. That was not the only reason though. There was something about him not being happy with the state of Anime in JP and he wanted to put out some quality work to make the point that it could still be done. And lastly, but not confirmed, "cashing in" on the OP allowed him to start his own production company where he could put out quality work and not have to listen to the "suits" anymore. All that makes me respect the guy. Pretty cool.

Is there anything else out there other than Rebuild to watch? It looks like there are some "recap" type stuff and directors cut things. Is there any other "series" or movies that are a must?

Have you watched the "End of Evangelion" movie? It is available on Netflix. 

True. Netflix redid the dub for their streaming release. I’m thinking it was a licensing/rights issue, but the Netflix dub also changes some of the dialogue. 

The Rebuild movies have most of the dub cast from the old ADV dub reprising their roles so, depending on when one first watched Eva in English, the Rebuild movies aren’t as jarring...that is, if you can stand Shinji...

5 hours ago, General Rasp said:

Have you watched the "End of Evangelion" movie? It is available on Netflix. 

Not yet. Which one is basically a re-cap of the 26ep series? That one or True Death? Or am I completely wrong?

The Rebuild movies are not a requirement for evangelion.     Doesn't mean they aren't any good,  the 1st and 2nd are up there.. the 3rd.. meh.

NGE TV ep 1-26  EOE and D&R are however.

Sadamato's Manga is also highly recommended..  it has a different take on some pretty big events during NGE. 

10 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Not yet. Which one is basically a re-cap of the 26ep series? That one or True Death? Or am I completely wrong?

"Death and Rebirth" is the recap, "End of Evangelion" is happens directly after the OG series. If I remember correctly, the ep 26 of the series got a bad response from fans, so they made the End of Eva movie as another ending. I recommend finishing the re-watch, then End of Eva, then watching the rebuilds. 

6 minutes ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

The Rebuild movies are not a requirement for evangelion.     Doesn't mean they aren't any good,  the 1st and 2nd are up there.. the 3rd.. meh.

NGE TV ep 1-26  EOE and D&R are however.

Sadamato's Manga is also highly recommended..  it has a different take on some pretty big events during NGE. 

I am going to respectfully disagree that they are required because they are reference more than the OG series. Figures, books and other media reference the rebuild movies the majority of the time, I can't remember the last time I saw a figure based on the OG series. So if you haven't watched the rebuild movies then you aren't going to know who Miri is or why there is a pink Eva. 

Just my opinion though. :) 

12 minutes ago, General Rasp said:

"Death and Rebirth" is the recap, "End of Evangelion" is happens directly after the OG series. If I remember correctly, the ep 26 of the series got a bad response from fans, so they made the End of Eva movie as another ending. I recommend finishing the re-watch, then End of Eva, then watching the rebuilds. 

That sounds like a plan.

And I agree, ep 26 was a bit of a mess my first time though. I was like WTF am I watching!:p

2 minutes ago, General Rasp said:

I am going to respectfully disagree that they are required because they are reference more than the OG series. Figures, books and other media reference the rebuild movies the majority of the time, I can't remember the last time I saw a figure based on the OG series. So if you haven't watched the rebuild movies then you aren't going to know who Miri is or why there is a pink Eva. 

Just my opinion though. :) 

This is actually how I stumbled on Rebuild as a thing. I was looking for a RAH figure of Unit 00 and there aren't any blue ones. But there is a yellow one. I'm guessing Unit 00 in Rebuild is yellow? And yeah, I saw the pink one. Unit 08?

1 minute ago, sqidd said:

That sounds like a plan.

And I agree, ep 26 was a bit of a mess my first time though. I was like WTF am I watching!:p

This is actually how I stumbled on Rebuild as a thing. I was looking for a RAH figure of Unit 00 and there aren't any blue ones. But there is a yellow one. I'm guessing Unit 00 in Rebuild is yellow? And yeah, I saw the pink one. Unit 08?

Yep, Eva Unit 00 stays yellow in the movies and Unit 08 is pink. They also show Unit 05 which was only referenced in the show and add two other Evas in the movies. 

You should watch them so you get the references :p

Before going on to the rebuild Rebuild films, watch Death and Rebirth and The End of Evangelion. 

I think Death and Rebirth summarizes eps 1-24 and I think End of Evangelion re-tells episodes 25 and 26 in an action-format instead of all playing out in Shinji's head (whether to initiate the 3rd impact or not).

Edited by easnoddy