Quick update here, Netflix Italy just removed the new dub and will replace it with the old one. Subtitles will be fixed soon too. That's kind of a surprise and made me understand that probably big companies read forums too.

2 hours ago, Ryoma said:

Quick update here, Netflix Italy just removed the new dub and will replace it with the old one. Subtitles will be fixed soon too. That's kind of a surprise and made me understand that probably big companies read forums too.

I'm not sure they read forums so much as the small mountain of news pieces published in the hobby press and other media outlets.

For better or worse, Netflix's Neon Genesis Evangelion retranslation and redub has garnered a LOT of media attention... much of it negative and highly critical of the changes in the show from the ADV Films translation and dub from over twenty years ago.  Most of it is (harsh) criticism of the quality of the translation and the dub itself for reasons already discussed in this thread's previous posts, with a few accusations of Netflix having an anti-LGBT agenda because of changes to Kaworu's dialog in the new translation that rendered 好きってことさ as "I like you" instead of "I love you" mixed in.

Netflix probably thought releasing Neon Genesis Evangelion was going to be high profile anime on Easy Mode, and they're getting royally reamed because of it instead.

Actually i take that back. The redub of Evangelion made it to the national newspaper in Italy. Very small article but it was there. The thing is that it was so bad and so full of mistakes that it was impossible not to notice it. Anyway i think it's a good thing that fans can actually make companies like Netflix bring some changes when they are clearly, undeniably, wrong.

1 hour ago, Ryoma said:

Actually i take that back. The redub of Evangelion made it to the national newspaper in Italy. Very small article but it was there. The thing is that it was so bad and so full of mistakes that it was impossible not to notice it.

I'm not surprised that the redub of Evangelion got a modest piece in the national newspaper... as loud as Netflix was trumpeting its acquisition of the distribution rights to Neon Genesis Evangelion, I would have been surprised if it didn't make the news in at least a minor capacity.  Netflix was acting like getting the license was a major coup rather than just having picked up a license that lapsed when ADV Films went under and reorganized.

1 hour ago, Ryoma said:

Anyway i think it's a good thing that fans can actually make companies like Netflix bring some changes when they are clearly, undeniably, wrong.

Eh... doing a thing wrong is not necessarily the same as doing a thing badly.

Netflix clearly and undeniably did a bad job producing their re-dub of Neon Genesis Evangelion, but it seems apparent that a big part of why they unintentionally did a bad job re-dubbing Neon Genesis Evangelion was because they were doggedly determined to make the most (literally) correct translation possible.  The problem with that idea is that the most literal translation possible often doesn't flow well in the target language, so a good localization team will try to strike a balance between literal accuracy and natural flow so the meaning gets across in a way that feels natural (unless the character is supposed to be speaking in fractured grammar).

They're mostly - justifiably - getting sh*t on for doing a bad job not necessarily for being wrong.  Indeed, the complaints that Netflix is deliberately removing homoerotic subtext from the series ("queer erasure") is based on Netflix having translated a particular line with more literal accuracy (a declaration of affection that could be platonic or romantic) than ADV Films's version which made that same line into an explicit declaration of love (which, in English, is typically interpreted as romantic).

22 minutes ago, Atheonyirh said:

Evidence apparently points to it being Gainax/Khara that insisted upon the clinical, dry translation rather than Netflix.

If they'd had their way, I'm sure Netflix would have just recycled the old dub and translation and saved themselves tons of work.

2 hours ago, Atheonyirh said:

Apparently they do have the rights to the ADV dub.

How ironic.  They had the rights to an earlier dub, which they rejected due to liberties taken with the translation, instead producing an inferior dub rejected by its intended audience...

...exactly as ADV had done with Macross.  <_<

15 hours ago, Atheonyirh said:

Evidence apparently points to it being Gainax/Khara that insisted upon the clinical, dry translation rather than Netflix.

But whose bright idea was it to retranslate and redub the series in the first place?

I suspect Netflix wanted to put their stamp on Neon Genesis Evangelion rather than just running with the existing translation, and I doubt Studio Khara had the kind of leverage in the licensing agreement to actually force Netflix to have a new translation made to their exacting specifications.  My guess is that Netflix obligingly followed Studio Khara's guidance because they thought that they were going to one-up the original with a more authentic version.

7 hours ago, tekering said:

How ironic.  They had the rights to an earlier dub, which they rejected due to liberties taken with the translation, instead producing an inferior dub rejected by its intended audience...

...exactly as ADV had done with Macross.  <_<

Nah, there's at least some circumstantial evidence that the ADV Films Macross dub was deliberately sabotaged by Harmony Gold.

Netflix's f*ckup was a result of inexperience and, if the theory is true, following Studio Khara's guidance.

recorded stream (Paris Japan Expo) of the Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0 first 10 minutes preview (around 52 minute mark): https://live.line.me/channels/75/broadcast/11598500 (French sub). Also available on nyaa.

Youtube upload with English sub, though video might be brought down.

Edited by pafy6285

27 minutes ago, pafy6285 said:

recorded stream (Paris Japan Expo) of the Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0 first 10 minutes preview (around 52 minute mark): https://live.line.me/channels/75/broadcast/11598500. Also available on nyaa.

I can barely understand French or Japanese, but

DID THEY JUST REVERSE A POCKET OF THIRD IMPACT? !

15 hours ago, pafy6285 said:

recorded stream (Paris Japan Expo) of the Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0 first 10 minutes preview (around 52 minute mark): https://live.line.me/channels/75/broadcast/11598500 (French sub). Also available on nyaa.

Two questions: 1) When Mari refers to "Mrs. small doll" is she talking about Asuka or Rei? 2) How and why does WILLE have 8 Iowa-class battleships?

On 7/7/2019 at 12:12 PM, pafy6285 said:

It's been so long since the last movie I've got to rewatch everything again to recap.

On 7/7/2019 at 4:41 PM, anime52k8 said:

Two questions: 1) When Mari refers to "Mrs. small doll" is she talking about Asuka or Rei? 2) How and why does WILLE have 8 Iowa-class battleships?

In regards to question 1, the French dub says monsieur petit toutou (mister little teddy bear) so she might be referring to Shinji-kun.

32 minutes ago, anime52k8 said:

I love their kitty environmental suits, they're so cute.

So I'm not the only one who got a cat vibe from those helmets. 

3 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

That reminds me.. I'm not sure I ever watched 3.1. :blink: Time to catch up!

When you do watch it, buckle up for "What the frak is happening??!!" :D

3.33 was frustrating, but I think it sets up an interesting place for 3.0+1.0 to start off from. They're free to go wherever they want with it and that could go either really good or really bad.