3 hours ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

I will give it a whirl in Japanese.  I liked the original Spike voice actor.

Think there will be a Japanese language dub available for North American Netflix?  Would be interesting.  

Observation:  Spike seems to smile more in the anime.  I could be wrong.

On 10/27/2021 at 10:13 AM, sh9000 said:

And the same trailer in engrish.

I dont know, I seem to be more invested in it when its a japanese voiceover...wwwwwww...
Perhaps it will be the other way with japanese folks wanting to see it in english with kanji subtitles....😃

I know this would have been unlikely (this is a clear demonstration of how I don't understand the film industry), but would have been cool if they filmed two versions simultaneously, an actual English version and a Japanese version with Japanese speaking actors (lots of talented non Japanese who ca. Speak Japanese fluently). 

One cut films the English version, stop, swap out actors for he same scene in Japanese. 

Lol, yeah, I know, probably a logistical nightmare. 

Dubbed movies have always been a distraction for me, takes me right out of the film. 

On 10/26/2021 at 11:06 PM, azrael said:

Please tell me they will not be using many slow-motion on all the action shots? The speed of some of those fights feels like they could pick up the pace a little.

They could actually stand to undercrank (ie speed up) some of the action, if that choreographed takedown at 1:40 is any indication. It's a reeeally minor nitpick, but that won't stop me from doing it. :lol:

On 10/26/2021 at 10:43 PM, Chronocidal said:

I mean, they got at least some of the look down, and hopefully they hung onto as much of the soundtrack as possible.

I've had essentially zero expectations about any of this since I first heard of it, so I think it would actually be really difficult for it not to be better than I expected. ^_^ 

I tried having zero expectations, but honestly, ever since they announced the cast I've been holding onto the teeniest, tiiiniest bit of expectation.

I actually hope they have as much good quality new music as possible. Reusing the anime stuff is all well and good because the anime stuff is great, but new original music would really help the show maintain its own identity. I'm already getting tired of them reusing Tank! for three trailers in a row.

16 hours ago, danth said:

And the "nobody has any meaningful relationship progression" issue the anime suffers from as well.

I had this issue with the anime at first, too. On subsequent watches I've come to appreciate that, in some respects, that's kind of the point. Which isn't to say there's necessarily no meaningful character progression - I think there is - but that any "progress" they make is hampered by their being shackled to/by their respective pasts. The exceptions are Ed and Ein, and it's telling that their departure from the crew isn't as fraught with emotional turmoil.

14 hours ago, peter said:

Observation:  Spike seems to smile more in the anime.  I could be wrong.

I agree. Not a bad or a good thing, but still a worthwhile observation.

I'm going watch the live action English adaption as it was recorded - in English.  I'm going watch animated Japanese original as it was recorded - in Japanese.  For me it is about the performance of the actor on screen.  Not the interpretation from another actor. 

14 hours ago, seti88 said:

And the same trailer in engrish.

I dont know, I seem to be more invested in it when its a japanese voiceover...wwwwwww...
Perhaps it will be the other way with japanese folks wanting to see it in english with kanji subtitles....😃

I'm %100 with you on this. I've only watched it subbed (several times) and seeing it in english seems very unnatural to me.

5 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Just started watching the Cowboy Bebop anime for the first time. It's well animated and fun but don't see why people think its the best. Will that realization come the further I get in the series?

It was nothing like the anime when it came out other than the broke space bounty hunter thing. It was grounded yet sci-fi at the same time. It merged style with the look that nothing else could match and influenced a lot of titles that came after it. And for the American viewers it had one of the best dub work even if some viewers were die hard sub fans.

I saw the previews and official trailer.

Overall, quite meh impression.

It just seems like a totally American-version of how the Japanese themselves usually make live-action versions of their anime and manga titles. Possibly with less obvious over-acting typical of usual japanese live-action versions.

Like the usual japaneseI live-action versions, I think this production,  direction and even dialogue-scripting are more into just capturing the "look" of the characters and the superficial "ambiance" of the story. 

Resulting in possibly just actors cosplaying.

So far, the trailer feels no soul and just feels very empty to me. The action scenes are also way too... wtf slow?!

imho, Cowboy Bebop anime is still a very good anime very inspired and very based on various mixes of regular japanese yakuza and western noir action films.

This live-action version, based on the trailer and previews, is just lacking that feel and presentation that the old anime somehow evoked.

Hopefully it's just the trailer that's not impressing me positively.

I hope the actual series turns out way better ala The Boys or something, as I see some actually good actors in there in the casting.

2 hours ago, Big s said:

I really don’t think Macross plus would translate well to a live action American series or movie. 

Take away the sci-fi stuff and bebop still works as an action drama.

A lot of Bebop's DNA came from the (production) crew first getting together to make Plus. Or in other words, I was making a bad joke 😘

1 hour ago, Big s said:

As a Macross fan, I had always wanted to see it done in live action, but I really think more grounded anime would work best. Imagine how terrible bayformers and crappy modern pop songs would be  thrown in with out of place giant fart jokes

The fi5rst time I saw Plus I thought to myself..........self, This would make a great Americanized action movie. Something with a Top Gun type feel. It would have to obviously change some (which would drive some purists nuts) but I can see it landing well with American audiences. Even with the singing......but maybe pull it back just a tad. Put three big actors in there for the main protagonists and it would sell.

Don't let Michael Bay anywhere near it.:rofl: 

15 minutes ago, jenius said:

The whole domestic violence rapey subplot could probably use some tweaking...

Someone in Hollywood had the same thought and gave us Stealth. 

Hollywood constantly relies on rape as a plot point, no changes necessary.

32 minutes ago, jenius said:

The whole domestic violence rapey subplot could probably use some tweaking...

I'm not triggered by much. But that did get me while watching Plus. I like that Macross stuff doesn't shy away from "real" things. I don't like watching things that involve women getting abused, raped, etc. though. Now if the goal is to make me want to strangle the life out of the character doing it......mission accomplished. 

Also, don't hurt dogs.

7 minutes ago, sqidd said:

I'm not triggered by much. But that did get me while watching Plus. I like that Macross stuff doesn't shy away from "real" things. I don't like watching things that involve women getting abused, raped, etc. though. Now if the goal is to make me want to strangle the life out of the character doing it......mission accomplished. 

Also, don't hurt dogs.

Sharon get's Guld in the end, and renders him just as powerless.

19 minutes ago, seti88 said:

Used to load up stealth and top gun whenever i/or my friends got new TV's or hi-fi speakers..😂

I've never seen Stealth. Top Gun is a classic. Also one of the best "Honest Trailers" ever done.:D

Another great fighter movie was Firefox. I like to see it every 10yrs or so and remember that my Grandfather took me to it when I was a kid. He was a B17 pilot in WW2. 42 missions. The guy was a rock that got the job done. No matter what. I wish I was more mature when he passed and was insightful enough to sit down with him and ask for a lot more advice.

Just now, Keith said:

Sharon get's Guld in the end, and renders him just as powerless.

I never thought about it that way. Thanks for pointing that out.

Interestingly (in my interpretation) she got her revenge at the same time he was getting his redemption arc. That's good writing.

Honestly, and quite unsurprisingly, Netflix chose the wrong Shinichiro Watanabe anime to do a live-action version.

They really should've done Space Dandy instead of Cowboy Bebop.

Less otaku-angst controversy and less adaptation/casting/directorial issues.

Space Dandy is pretty much just Ace Ventura in Space with a giant mecha and an awesome soundtrack!

It's an already very awesome anime that they can't possibly mess up at all adaptiing to live-action!

2 hours ago, sqidd said:

I've never seen Stealth. Top Gun is a classic. Also one of the best "Honest Trailers" ever done.:D

Another great fighter movie was Firefox. I like to see it every 10yrs or so and remember that my Grandfather took me to it when I was a kid. He was a B17 pilot in WW2. 42 missions. The guy was a rock that got the job done. No matter what. I wish I was more mature when he passed and was insightful enough to sit down with him and ask for a lot more advice.

The older generation went through things we can only imagine how they lived through it. Hearing abt your grandfather, he must have had plenty to share with the family. 
Memphis belle is one of my fav movies too. But sometimes it gets difficult to re-watch, esp the plane downing's...

Edited by seti88

15 hours ago, treatment said:

Honestly, and quite unsurprisingly, Netflix chose the wrong Shinichiro Watanabe anime to do a live-action version.

They really should've done Space Dandy instead of Cowboy Bebop.

Less otaku-angst controversy and less adaptation/casting/directorial issues.

Space Dandy is pretty much just Ace Ventura in Space with a giant mecha and an awesome soundtrack!

It's an already very awesome anime that they can't possibly mess up at all adaptiing to live-action!

Space Dandy could even be an entire season of Black Mirror.

Maybe if bebop does well, Dandy will be next. Now you gotta find an actor with that kind of idiotic confidence and the willingness to have that stupid hairstyle. The cat and auto tuned robot won’t be as though since the would probably be cg or puppets.

2 hours ago, Big s said:

Maybe if bebop does well, Dandy will be next. Now you gotta find an actor with that kind of idiotic confidence and the willingness to have that stupid hairstyle. The cat and auto tuned robot won’t be as though since the would probably be cg or puppets.

Chris Pratt?