All Things Disney Parks - Rides, Merch, News, and everything else

jvmacross

14 hours ago, jvmacross said:

You could go your entire visit without riding anything else and you would still have had a great day with just those two rides!

Pretty much did just that.  I did go see Country Bears (when I went as a kid that was the only thing my dad went to see and I like em too) and the riverboat.  Still a perfectly fun day.  

• 7 months later...
16 hours ago, jvmacross said:

WDW will probably shutdown again within a month or less....unless ordered to stay open

If you are OK with the risks there probably will never be a better time to visit WDW than during a pandemic! :rolleyes:

I bet the lines there will be jacked. Plus wearing masks in Florida heat during Summer must suck!

Plus Darth Vader wearing his mask all the time is just virtue signaling :hi:

Edited by TangledThorns

25 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

I bet the lines there will be jacked. Plus wearing masks in Florida heat during Summer must suck!

Plus Darth Vader wearing his mask all the time is just virtue signaling :hi:

I read that the wait times are actually 15 or less for almost everything....so long as you manage to get in and get out without catching Covid19...you can probably do the whole park in a day or two

The only ride seeing high wait times (which honestly at 45 minutes is half the usual 90 minutes wait times) is Splash Mountain due to it being "re-imagineered"...

The guy I watch (Mickey Views) for Disney news had Seven Dwarfs Mine train at 30 minutes - which is still a heck of a short time comparatively speaking.  If the park is still open in November I'll be heading there then.  Not counting on it though.

As for DV wearing his mask all the time.  At least he (and the stormtroopers) have the ability to have some kind of cooling system installed.  I pity the poor slobs in those heavy costumes that don't have anything.  I read somewhere that even the underwear used to be part of the costumes.  I find that hard to believe but if it was true...

16 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

As for DV wearing his mask all the time.  At least he (and the stormtroopers) have the ability to have some kind of cooling system installed.  I pity the poor slobs in those heavy costumes that don't have anything.  I read somewhere that even the underwear used to be part of the costumes.  I find that hard to believe but if it was true...

It used to be, yeah... it was, in corporate's mind, to prevent employee-provided underwear from bunching up and becoming visible through the costumes.  That policy didn't change until 2001.  IIRC it was employee protests after an outbreak of pubic lice that caused the policy change.

Disney's pretty horrible... I expect a lot of those theme park workers are going to get sick, and a fair few will probably die in Disney-funded hospitals that exist to safeguard the Mouse from liability, much like my grandpa did back in '92.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

4 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I expect a lot of those theme park workers are going to get sick, and a fair few will probably die in Disney-funded hospitals that exist to safeguard the Mouse from liability, much like my grandpa did back in '92.

WOOHOO I'M GOING TO DISNEY WORLD YEAH!!!

:/

• 8 months later...

Wondering if anyone has returned to WDW recently or perhaps there now?

Wanted to get opinions on the crowd levels these days....I keep reading that they have been creeping up lately...along with the ride wait times...

Since there is no Fastpass and the things that used to keep the crowds busy like parades, character meets, and dining have been reduced or eliminated, I wanted to know how bad or not the ride wait experience has been...

I am considering a trip in June/July

I did notice that the park hours were extended recently, but I think that was to accomodate the Spring Break crowds.....not sure what Disney has in mind for the summer as none of the park hours are avaiable for most of the summer months at the moment...

Yeah...things should start normalizing by next year....maybe

The biggest thing for me is the elimination of the Fastpass and reduction of dining capacity, I have never waited more than 20 minutes for any ride and I have always managed to somehow get reservations to my choice restaurants....it was already hard enough to get table reservations at the most sought after restaurants, now with half the capacity....I am not sure how difficult it will be to get reservations

As for the fastpass....as long as current waits to get on rides is an hour or less, I can deal with it....otherwise, it just would not be worth it, especially with small kids...

The other thing that is insane right now, based on what I have been reading, is the system of the "virtual queue" for the Rise of the Risistance ride....apparently, you have to try and snatch a "boarding pass" at 7am on the day you are planning to visit Hollywood Studios and you must be within the Disney Resort area to even try....additionally, you have to have selected Hollywood Studios as your "park reservation" for that day (a whole other layer of crazy)....apparently the boarding passes available for the 9-1pm slots all get taken within 5 seconds of the window opening at 7am each day....but if you FAIL...you get another chance at 1PM BUT you have to be inside Hollywood Studios to even attempt a second try...if you FAIL AGAIN...you are SOL for that day.....:(

Been there a few times since December.  The crowd levels are nowhere near normal but it FEELS more crowded as the lines are kept at social distance levels.  Whenever a park is at full capacity it will be crowded, if not being at six feet from others bothers you do not go.  If it does not bother as long as most (but by no means all) people are properly wearing masks you are good.

Ride line times, anywhere up to 90 minutes for the best rides.  But you can get around that.  On Thursday I went on Soarin, The golf ball, and Test Track in under two hours around dinner.  Soarin was about a 20 minute wait (even though the app said 60 minutes), the Golf Ball was practically a walk on (but when I was walking out the line was considerably longer, probably a 15 minute wait) and Test Track was about 20-30 minutes wait.  I saw the Three Caballeros had a 5 minute wait but when I saw the line it was at least 15 minutes (line going outside the pyramid) and just walked on.

At Magic Kingdom yesterday we got in at 8am.  I got on 6 rides in 2 hours.  Peter Pan (don't laugh I love that ride), Small World (Laugh, my wife loves that one), Haunted Mansion, Pirates, the Riverboat, and The Barnstormer (I love that one too).  All the parks were booked solid the two days so they were as crowded as the could be.  Another tip for Magic Kingdom - get there EARLY since the trams are not running and you have to walk from your car to the front entrance.  Plus it is much less crowded at opening (which is how I got on 6 rides in two hours).

Rise of the Resistance - If you are at a Disney hotel you can get up at 7 an try to get a slot.  I missed that slot when I was there in January but at 2pm I got a standby and luckily managed to ride it that day (it was my Birthday too so it was great).  The 2pm try you have to be in Hollywood Studios to try and get a slot.

EDIT - As for hours anything is possible.  They change them based on crowd size.  Summer is a busy time normally and if infection rates do not go crazy you could see longer hours all summer.  Then again if things get worse instead of better it could end up more restricted.  

ALSO be prepared to wear a mask in hot humid conditions all day.  You can only take them off while actively eating or at specified cooling stations.  It was mid nighties the last couple days while I was there but low humidity which helped a lot but I don't normally need to wear a mask so it was really annoying.

Edited by Dynaman

1 hour ago, Dynaman said:

Thanks!!  This is exactly the recent and real-world info I needed to hear from someone....it is not discouraging at all and sounds like the crowds are still nowhere what they would be like during the NON-COVID days of fading memory...lol

We have been going to WDW for years before we had kids and every year since they were old enough to appreciate it...so since 2014...this was going to be the first year we had planned on heading to Disneyland, but looks like that park is opening up only for Californians for now...so maybe by the Holidays it should open up for everyone, plus the bonus would be the Holiday Haunted Mansion!

Yeah...I love all the old school rides too....we always end the day at MK with Haunted Mansion, Pirates and PP's Flights...lol

The other awesome thing we will miss is the extended night time hours...we literally were the last guests to leave the MK a couple of nights on our last trip...spent a lot of cash at those shops those night...lol

Edited by jvmacross

I miss the fireworks.  We normally stay at the Swan or Dolphin hotel and get a fireworks view room.  I miss not being able to sit on the balcony and watch fireworks.  I was going to get one of the rooms next January but the prices on them are insane next January.  Looks like Caribbean Beach of Pop Century (most likely Pop Century) since they have the Skyliner access to Epcot and Hollywood Studios and are less than half the price of the Swan and Dolphin.

There are not many benefits to staying at a Disney Resort Hotel at the moment...No Early Fastpass reservations (no Fastpass at all!), no extra early or late park hours if you are staying at the resort hotels, no dining plans, no souvenir pickup service or resort delivery....basically, it just has the park transportation options and , of course, the ability to remain in the Disney bubble for your entire stay....to me that is still a big plus, but I could understand how many casual visitors would care more about saving on accomodations....personally, the Dolphin/Swan is a good option...but so are some of the "deluxe" hotels within the Disney Springs area and a few others...I usually stay on-site and will most likey do so again this time....there is a good promo going on right now so looking into it

14 hours ago, jvmacross said:

no extra early or late park hours if you are staying at the resort hotels, 

I read something, somewhere, that those staying at a Disney hotel can get into the parks a half hour early, every park and every day.  I did not notice that while at the park though and while in Magic Kingdom some rides were not yet open at 8am which was the listed opening time.  Many food stands were not open till later as well.

If at all possible for your party to split up a bit, being a "single rider" at WDW is like having the golden ticket.  Even on rides without dedicated single-rider lines, you will often see cast members looking/asking for them---and I have skipped entire queue-rooms because of it. Gates opened, ropes dropped, just for me.  Because I was the only single rider they could find out of the 100 people ahead of me...

On 3/31/2021 at 5:48 PM, jvmacross said:

From what I have read...there is no rider switch either at the moment...so pick your ride queues accordingly....not sure how strict WDW is with this rule though...

Not sure what you mean by that.  Currently at Disney World all the rides have one line only.  You get in and wait with everyone else.  There is still a handicapped entrance that is separate.

2 hours ago, Dynaman said:

Not sure what you mean by that.  Currently at Disney World all the rides have one line only.  You get in and wait with everyone else.  There is still a handicapped entrance that is separate.

It was the ability to switch parents on a ride with a kid that was too small to ride or did not want to....without needing to wait in line all over again for the second set of parent/kid....it also gave the one kid that was riding the ability to ride back to back with both parents (taking the non-riding siblings place) as the parents  take turns waiting outside the ride with the kid that was not riding...you never did a rider switch?  It was a great option when we had a kid that could ride all the rides and one that was limited due to height restrictions...

My kids were 11 and 12 when we first took them to Disney so we had no need of that.  Many times they went on rides and we waited.  When we took them to local parks they had nothing of the sort but the lines were not long either (living near the ocean in NJ gave us plenty of options for amusement parks, granted most of them at the travelling carnival level).

• jvmacross changed the title to All Things Disney Parks
  • 4 weeks later...

If you can now is the time to go before they can up the park attendance levels.  If you are there to ride on rides instead of fireworks and shows there is no better time to be there.  Similar crowd levels at DW made each ride practically a walk on.

Heading there this summer...been looking at the ride times on the Disney app and most rides are under 30 minutes and that is still low...the big rides can jump to 60 min+ but they also drop to under 30 a few hours before the parks close....the hardest thing right now about a trip to WDW are dining reservations, since the restaurants are on a limited seating capacity....I think even the counter service restaurants have to be booked 2 hours in advance or you'll be stuck eating popcorn for lunch

On 5/5/2021 at 10:00 AM, jvmacross said:

Heading there this summer...been looking at the ride times on the Disney app and most rides are under 30 minutes and that is still low...the big rides can jump to 60 min+ but they also drop to under 30 a few hours before the parks close....the hardest thing right now about a trip to WDW are dining reservations, since the restaurants are on a limited seating capacity....I think even the counter service restaurants have to be booked 2 hours in advance or you'll be stuck eating popcorn for lunch

Are you staying at a hotel? Try a AIRBNB where you can make your own dinner there, save money doing it too. I'm trying to convince my wife of that but she wants the FULL Disney World experience with resort hotel for the kids next year, lol.

I stay on property as much as possible, normally in the Boardwalk area or on the Skyliner to it.  After walking around the parks all day I walk around the hotel area at night.  Even the Pop Century hotel (a budget one) has a really nice walking area that connects with the Animation hotel across the lake.  My wife can also go back to the hotel early and I can watch fireworks too.

9 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Are you staying at a hotel? Try a AIRBNB where you can make your own dinner there, save money doing it too. I'm trying to convince my wife of that but she wants the FULL Disney World experience with resort hotel for the kids next year, lol.

The wife insists on staying in the Disney "bubble" for the entire stay...I kind of like it myself.....closest "out of the bubble" has been the Dolphin Hotel, which is more or less still "in the bubble"...lol

12 hours ago, jvmacross said:

The wife insists on staying in the Disney "bubble" for the entire stay...I kind of like it myself.....closest "out of the bubble" has been the Dolphin Hotel, which is more or less still "in the bubble"...lol

Yeah, we'll probably be staying at the Dolphin or Swan Hotel too. I like how they have a supervised children's center, that'll give mommy and I some time to check out their spa among other things, lol.