Jump to content

The Mandalorian - Star Wars webseries from Jon Favreau


Recommended Posts

So, THAT'S how you wield a Gaffi Stick. :blink::ohmy:

Spoiler

* Damn, Boba!  I guess getting stuck in a Sarlacc left him with some pent up aggressions! 

* Between getting sniped, ran over by a boulder, Boba going medieval on 'em, Mando launching whistling birds at 'em, and Grogu Force-smacking them around, it wasn't a good week to be a Stormtrooper.

* So if they're consistent with last season, does that means we have two more eps left for this season?

* Lastly, does this mean I should cancel my order for the Razor Crest?

 

Edited by Mog
Link to post
Share on other sites

100% fan service.  It looked like fan film.  You know some fans go outdoors to that place everyone goes to and films a fight scene.  There wasn't much of a script.  Everybody just showed up and they fought.  Could have stretched this episode to last a complete hour.   I don't think they even understand their own characters.   Mando seems to openly embracing the isn't baby Yoda just the cutest mania.  They saw they had a hit with baby Yoda with the first season and feels we're getting more and more.  Fans like baby Yoda lets give them more.   There was also another fan favorite.  Portrayed now how fans wanted to see them.  I kept thinking that character didn't seem honorable or competent in previous live action appearances. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Roy Focker said:

100% fan service.  It looked like fan film.

I think you may have confused The Mandalorian with The Rise of Skywalker.  THAT felt like lousy fanservice.

"The Tragedy" felt like the work of talented filmmakers who know their audience.

1 hour ago, Roy Focker said:

There wasn't much of a script.  Everybody just showed up and they fought.  Could have stretched this episode to last a complete hour.

Wouldn't that suggest there was too much script for a 30 min. episode?

1 hour ago, Roy Focker said:

There was also another fan favorite.  Portrayed now how fans wanted to see them.  I kept thinking that character didn't seem honorable or competent in previous live action appearances. 

I have to agree with you there.  I was equally dismayed by the inconsistency.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, what exactly have we seen of said character?

Spoiler

 

I haven't watched the Clone Wars eps he was in.

But after reading up on those eps, all that we've seen of Boba is that:

  • He saw his dad get his head lopped off by some space wizard with a purple lightsaber.
  • He tries to get revenge on said purple-lightsaber wielding space wizard.
  • Becomes a bounty hunter at a young age.
  • Gains a rep for disintegrating his bounties.
  • Has enough of a bounty hunter rep to work for Jabba the Hutt.
  • Is the only bounty hunter Vader makes a specific comment to.
  • Is the only idiot bounty hunter to figure out the Falcon is NOT a piece of trash.
  • Was about to put down an emotional, angry, and dangerous Wookiee in Cloud City.
  • Protected his bounty from some scrappy Rebels.
  • Wasn't above talking with the ladies.
  • Respected another bounty hunter for his/her ballsy negotiation tactic.
  • Protected his employer/contractor when yet another space wizard starts to wreak chaos and havoc.

Not exactly much to go off of. . . . other than Boba's probably super sensitive about getting the armor back, especially with its ties to his daddy.  He's probably not fond of Jedi's.  And he's got a rep as being a good bounty hunter.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy crap, what an absolutely fantastic episode! Wow! After last week I was expecting some slow down, but nope! Loved, loved, loved the episode, but I love that character, so this was a dream come true for me. I could give a crap less if was fan service, serve that crap up! Star Wars needs to be, at minimum, entertaining, and this episode was monstrously entertaining. I expect the final two episodes will contain the movement in the overall story we were expecting, once again, absolutely nothing wrong with being entertaining and giving fans some brilliant action. 

2 hours ago, Roy Focker said:

100% fan service.  It looked like fan film.  You know some fans go outdoors to that place everyone goes to and films a fight scene. 

Lol in no way, shape or form did this look like a fan film, that's hyperbole, it was fan servicey, yes, but fan film? That's just crazy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mog said:

So, THAT'S how you wield a Gaffi Stick. :blink::ohmy:

  Hide contents

* Damn, Boba!  I guess getting stuck in a Sarlacc left him with some pent up aggressions! 

* Between getting sniped, ran over by a boulder, Boba going medieval on 'em, Mando launching whistling birds at 'em, and Grogu Force-smacking them around, it wasn't a good week to be a Stormtrooper.

* So if they're consistent with last season, does that means we have two more eps left for this season?

* Lastly, does this mean I should cancel my order for the Razor Crest?

 

For me that would be * 2. :cray:

"The Tragedy" indeed.

2 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Another good episode. Definitely setting things up for a third season! I also get a kick seeing who the guest directors are too.

Yep!

1 hour ago, Tking22 said:

Holy crap, what an absolutely fantastic episode! Wow! After last week I was expecting some slow down, but nope! Loved, loved, loved the episode, but I love that character, so this was a dream come true for me. I could give a crap less if was fan service, serve that crap up! Star Wars needs to be, at minimum, entertaining, and this episode was monstrously entertaining. I expect the final two episodes will contain the movement in the overall story we were expecting, once again, absolutely nothing wrong with being entertaining and giving fans some brilliant action. 

Lol in no way, shape or form did this look like a fan film, that's hyperbole, it was fan servicey, yes, but fan film? That's just crazy. 

Agreed! Thought this episode was fantastic and there's finally something on film/live action that supports the literal decades-long hype around that character.

-b.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tking22 said:

Lol in no way, shape or form did this look like a fan film, that's hyperbole, it was fan servicey, yes, but fan film? That's just crazy. 

Look at lack of production design in the episode.  They could have made the location look like anything that they wanted.  What we got was that place in California that looked like that place where everyone else goes to make a fan film.  Sci-fi locations cost more money than fan films can afford.  The easiest solution is go outside to the middle of nowhere with a simple script that's mostly just fighting.  This episode did that too.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Roy Focker said:

Look at lack of production design in the episode.  They could have made the location look like anything that they wanted.  What we got was that place in California that looked like that place where everyone else goes to make a fan film.  Sci-fi locations cost more money than fan films can afford.  The easiest solution is go outside to the middle of nowhere with a simple script that's mostly just fighting.  This episode did that too.

 

The fact is every episode of Mandalorian is filmed in the incredibly advanced, expensive, fancy, top of the tech industry tv/monitor room thing they developed specifically for this show, so not a single part of the production design was lacking, it was all intentional. Just because they chose a more "average" looking or reserved location for the big fight doesn't mean it comes off as lacking or cheap to me, it was intentional, that's just the area they chose to have this fight in. If you found it lacking so be it, but it was shot in one of the most advanced screening rooms ever created, almost entirely digital, real props and people mixed with incredibly advanced virtual sets, this wasn't just shot in some random desert in Cali. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This was a good action episode. Ties up a B-story from earlier in the season.

Yes, a random California location to serve as backdrop of this episode, but hey, filming on location is expensive and they have to conserve funds for the finale. So might as well use a fairly un-original locale.

Spoiler

* Yes, that's how you use a frakin' gaffi stick. Funny that it's Boba that show us. Also nice to see Boba take out a bunch of Stormtroopers without his armor and remind us he is the original Star-Wars badass.
* Dark Troopers. Where's my Kyle Katarn!!!!?????

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Console/dash of that ship is smack on identical (except of HUD, but that is also situational/context specific and still very close to the 'original') to what we first saw, and I am incredibly impressed but not surprised at that attention to detail. That was a fun episode.

I did a screen cap if ppl are interested - but spoilers blah blah, honestly - why are you on this thread if you haven't seen it yet?

Spoiler

#Jakethemus

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So I guess it puts to rest whether Jango was a Mandalorian or not.....

Spoiler

...and by default...it technically makes Boba one too....Just kinda, sorta a non-practicing one?

Awesome episode.....Boba Fett is back!  The Slave I is back! Fennec Cyborg is back!  Moff Gideon was back! The Dark Saber was back! EU Dark Troopers are back!  The "Empire" is back!!

STAR WARS is back!!! :drinks:

The "real" tragedy is where all this greatness eventually leads to....

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that the real tragedy was the loss of the ship.  Why did they build so much up with that ship and then blow it up from orbit.  Also, I was not aware that an Arquitens(sp?) class light cruiser was capable of orbital bombardment, and that weapons seemed so much more powerful than I remember them being in Star Wars Rebels, unless it was plot super charged turbolaser.

Twich

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, twich said:

I think that the real tragedy was the loss of the ship.  Why did they build so much up with that ship and then blow it up from orbit. 

LOL...it has been the running gag for a while now.....but alas there can only be one indestructible hunk of junk in this galaxy, far, far away....

Besides....now mega fans will be forced to buy a new toy, kit, lego version of his next ride!! Or at minimum.....his temporary Slave I rental............Katching!!!!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, twich said:

I think that the real tragedy was the loss of the ship.  Why did they build so much up with that ship and then blow it up from orbit.  *snip*

Twich

Agreed!

That's probably the first "named" ship Star Wars has destroyed in a live action TV show or movie. I keep reading about the possibility of getting that other named shipped and I think that'd be a terrible, terrible idea. Let that one stay with it's owner and let Mando get another pre-Empire gunship that happens to look almost identical to the R.C.

-b.

Link to post
Share on other sites

at least the Beskar spear that he had for a total of 35 minutes on screen was just fine, with absolutely no damage.  Good to see the metal ball that was on the handle that Grogu liked also survived.  Have to ask, why was Moff Gideon letting those Stormtroopers get the tar beat out of them by Grogu with the force. If only to test the stamina of Grogu?  I am anticipating the next couple of episodes.

Twich

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kanedas Bike said:

let Mando get another pre-Empire gunship that happens to look almost identical to the R.C.

Nah, I never much cared for the Razor Crest design to begin with... and it's already had more time onscreen than practically any other ship in the franchise, save the Ghost.

This is the perfect opportunity to introduce a much cooler design for Mando to trash (and Hasbro to milk). :p

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, peter said:

Lol Dad Bod, hahahahahaha!

The actor is almost 20 years older from the last time we saw him and about 20 years older than the age their character is suppose to be.  Dad bod makes perfect sense for the actor but not for the character.   The actor is also like 5'7 and was solidly built even in his prime.  The first actor who played the part was 6' and slimmer.

Here's something that I don't understand.   Why didn't he try to recover his property from the previous care taker?  He had 5 years to take it back.  Why try forcing Mando to give it back when forcing the Marshal would have been easier?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Great to see Temuera Morrison back. Him and my stepdad are both from Rotorua, New Zealand and both Maori. 

Pretty cool Temuera is the first actor to appear from the films though in a different role. I do suspect we'll see him as Command Rex eventually too.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Roy Focker said:

The actor is almost 20 years older from the last time we saw him and about 20 years older than the age their character is suppose to be.

It's those damned binary suns.  Look how badly Owen, Beru, and Obi-Wan aged between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope:p

17 minutes ago, Roy Focker said:

Dad bod makes perfect sense for the actor but not for the character. 

Yeah, that armor looked totally wrong on Temuera Morrison. :unsure:

9 minutes ago, Negotiator said:

he was in the sarlac for 15 years?

No, this is only a few years after Return of the Jedi.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, twich said:

Have to ask, why was Moff Gideon letting those Stormtroopers get the tar beat out of them by Grogu with the force. If only to test the stamina of Grogu?  I am anticipating the next couple of episodes.

Twich

Two theories:  Probably letting Grogu slip to the Dark side.  Easier to draw from that side.  Faster way to replenish his Force strength.  More Force ju-ju for Gideon to extract.

OR Gideon’s trying to punch Grogu out.  Let him waste his strength on low level enemies, so that he’s got nothing left for the “boss fight” or will put up less resistance.  Rope-a-doping, if you will.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I am sure Boba had something to eat while in the Sarlacc, but I do wonder how much it’s costing Disney to run each episode.  They are getting some top names in this show... it wasn’t cheap...  that’s for sure.

Edited by kalvasflam
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, kalvasflam said:

Well, I am sure Boba had something to eat while in the Sarlacc, but I do wonder how much it’s costing Disney to run each episode.  They are getting some top names in this show... it wasn’t cheap...  that’s for sure.

Time to raise 'em theme park ticket prices!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

Time to raise 'em theme park ticket prices!!

If they were smart they'd redress Star Wars land giving it a Mandalorian themed make over

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just finished watching the episode. It was fantastic, and delivered on the action sequences.

My only critique is that I wish this and the earlier Bo Katan episode had added 10 to 15 additional minutes, but to be fair the first season did the same thing with the yo-yo episode lengths so it isn't for lack of consistency. I'm just caught up in the story and want to learn more about these characters. ^_^

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool episode. Love it!
 

Spoiler

 

Great seeing Boba Fett along with his ride, though I would suggest that they refit his armor. But way cool fight scene with the staff. Man was cracking helmets!

My one gripe is that the Storm Troopers are more like jokes than real enemies. I hope they surprise us real good by making them competent sometime soon!

And I was shocked when the Razor got bit. That was a surprise. Hard to tell what was more of a tragedy, that or Grogu being abducted.

 

Bring on the next!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...