3 hours ago, jvmacross said:

That terminal thing was one of the dumbest things they have done on the show.  Why would it need to scan your face if not to confirm you are part of the Empire?  Seems the "plot device" was literally written just to placate Pedro Pascal's desire to show more of his face...lol!

If you've paid any attention during the season you'd see how dumb the assertion that this was just a move made just to placate Pedro, substantiating all the click-bait rumors about him being unhappy.

The more likely reason is that it's simply a plot device set up around Mandalorians showing their face despite everything that Din Djarin has been taught not to. And how now there's a scan of this enemy of the Empire/Remnants of the Empire/Pre-First Order. 

But sure, maybe they've laid this ground work all season just because Pedro was allegedly a diva on set according to the interwebs. :rolleyes::lol:

-b.

Yeah, the facial scan is probably gonna come back to bite him in the ass.

But it also shows the lengths Mando will go to get the kid back.  If he hadn't done it, it would be "Good for you!  You kept your creed, but now you blew your best chance to find that kid you wanted to protect at all costs."

The good thing about this show is that Mando's actions do have consequences (both good and bad) and are followed up in later episodes.

I also do appreciate the cognitive dissonance this episode had going for it:  we're cheering for Mando to succeed and empathize with the Imperial troopers celebrating his hard fought accomplishment.  But he's also handing a destructive weapon to the "bad guys" and killing people who are probably trying to liberate their home from the Imps.

And a tip of the cap for giving the character of Mayfield some solid depth.  Guess some Imps can shoot straight!

The only way it would come back to haunt him is if he were to show his face again....since he presumably has never shown his face before to anyone....especially the empire....how would anyone know he is a Mandalorian based on the scan?

And if he continues to wear his Mandalorian armor and helmet....how will the scan of his face give him away in the future?

The whole face scanning scene was just lazy writing....they could have just had a scene where he is asked to take his helmet off by an officier for a celebratory selfie...lol.

Same lazy writing the previous episode too with Mando "forgetting" to grab his jetpack before rushing to protect/save Grogu...a simple "dank farrik! Why did I forget to grab my jetpack" would have sufficed....but no, Grogu had to be snatched to move the plot along and a big Mando vs Dark Troopers fight would be best saved for the last episode of the season.....

11 hours ago, Kanedas Bike said:

Agreed!

Personally really liked Boba's cleaned up armor and look....

Me too, hope we continue to see Boba. Anxiously waiting for the inevitable new Boba from Hot Toys! 

Oh man...just had a thought. Imagine if when trying to rescue Grogu, Din gets in serious trouble/wounded and is about to be killed or it looks like he is killed and Grogu just looses it and goes all Darkside and just starts wrecking everything....like Ahsoka alluded to...and then Boba puts him down. 

Chris

Edited by Dobber

25 minutes ago, Dobber said:

Me too, hope we continue to see Boba. Anxiously waiting for the inevitable new Boba from Hot Toys! 

Boba could use his own series, with the same actor playing him in The Mandalorian taking the role.

One story from the comics I wish they'd do  (though it's when Vader was alive) Is "When the Fat Lady Swings".

4 hours ago, jvmacross said:

The only way it would come back to haunt him is if he were to show his face again....since he presumably has never shown his face before to anyone....especially the empire....how would anyone know he is a Mandalorian based on the scan?

And if he continues to wear his Mandalorian armor and helmet....how will the scan of his face give him away in the future?

The whole face scanning scene was just lazy writing....they could have just had a scene where he is asked to take his helmet off by an officier for a celebratory selfie...lol.

Wouldn’t take much to put 2 and 2 together.

- Unknown facial scan

- Asking for location of/information about Gideon’s ship

- At a base where officers were shot and  a big explosion happened.

If the New Republic can figure out that some dude in Mandalorian armor and a Razor Crest ship participated in a prison break but tried to prevent the murder of a New Republic officer, I think a more than competent Imperial moff can figure things out.

8 hours ago, Mog said:

Yeah, the facial scan is probably gonna come back to bite him in the ass.

But it also shows the lengths Mando will go to get the kid back.  If he hadn't done it, it would be "Good for you!  You kept your creed, but now you blew your best chance to find that kid you wanted to protect at all costs."

The good thing about this show is that Mando's actions do have consequences (both good and bad) and are followed up in later episodes.

I also do appreciate the cognitive dissonance this episode had going for it:  we're cheering for Mando to succeed and empathize with the Imperial troopers celebrating his hard fought accomplishment.  But he's also handing a destructive weapon to the "bad guys" and killing people who are probably trying to liberate their home from the Imps.

And a tip of the cap for giving the character of Mayfield some solid depth.  Guess some Imps can shoot straight!

To be honest I'll be very disappointed if that particular plot point is dropped and never revisited in future episodes/seasons.

I thought about that too since the Pirates didn't seem to be trying to steal the "things", they were trying to blow up the "things" - which makes them more or less rebels. The length of these episodes don't allow for Mando and those dudes to perhaps see they have the same enemy.

5 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

One thing that stood out in this episode was Bill Burr's performance, really f'ing good!! I hope we get to see his character again next season.

Same. While we've seen members of the Empire defect I don't recall seeing them have PTSD about the things that they done (at least I haven't).

3 hours ago, Dobber said:

S.H. Figuarts please!!!! :D

12 minutes ago, Mog said:

- Unknown facial scan

If the New Republic can figure out that some dude in Mandalorian armor and a Razor Crest ship participated in a prison break but tried to prevent the murder of a New Republic officer, I think a more than competent Imperial moff can figure things out.

Exactly. 

-b.

1 hour ago, Mog said:

- Unknown facial scan

Or...they could mistake him for Agent Whiskey and go after the Statesmen on Planet Earth. :D

1 hour ago, Mog said:

- Unknown facial scan

But he did not have his Mando armor on....how would anyone know he is "The Mandalorian" and not some ex-Rebel SpecOps guy for hire?  And why would knowing his face help in any way? Mando doesn't care that the Empire knows it is him as he sent a message directly to Moff Gideon....

The only thing I can say could be a problem is if his "sect" is so strict that they have NO EXCEPTIONS on removing your helmet in front of others.....thus he would be banished....be pardoned.....or just quit and join Boba or the Night Owls.....and eventually become MANDALORE after taking the Dark Saber from Gideon?

1 hour ago, Mog said:

- Unknown facial scan

- At a base where officers were shot and  a big explosion happened...

...which more than likely wrecked the computer system that did the scan. So it may not have any consequences at all, other than showing Dinn that maybe he can trust some people to see his face and that maybe the Way does not have to be the Way, but still be the Way. With Bo-Katan and Boba not wearing helmets all the time maybe he'll loosen up a little.  ;)

Edited by Thom

If it doesn’t come back to bite him later down the line, you can all have an “I told you so.”

But bottom line:  Mando essentially decided “The Way” is less important than saving the kid.

He picked love over some rigid code.  

Worked out for some kid named Luke and his pops.

8 minutes ago, Thom said:

...which more than likely wrecked the computer system that did the scan. 

So Imperial programmers are so bad that they manage to still give you the data you want even if the parameters to give you the requested data does not compute?

Fanboys sure love their Star Wars kool-aid!

4 minutes ago, Mog said:

If it doesn’t come back to bite him later down the line, you can all have an “I told you so.”

But bottom line:  Mando essentially decided “The Way” is less important than saving the kid.

He picked love over some rigid code.  

Worked out for some kid named Luke and his pops.

exactly...there was no need to come up with some crazy facial-recognition data station to get Mando to finally come to that conclusion for himself

13 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

So Imperial programmers are so bad that they manage to still give you the data you want even if the parameters to give you the requested data does not compute?

what'you talkin about..? I'm just saying, unless the computers are constantly updating with some central Imperial Remnant, then the scan they have of his face may not have survived the blast.

20 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

exactly...there was no need to come up with some crazy facial-recognition data station to get Mando to finally come to that conclusion for himself

They were doing it to demonstrate it to the audience.  It’s one thing for him to say he’ll do anything to save the kid;  it’s quite another for him to take off his helmet, just for the chance to save him.

My elementary age son even gasped when Mando did that.

People have done stupid, risky things for love.  Like some Jedi Knight lopping off Younglings on the off-chance he could find a way to prevent his pregnant wife’s death. ;)

1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

Just remember: thermal exhaust port...

Big bad death star but still went boom...

Edited by pengbuzz

1 hour ago, Thom said:

what'you talkin about..? I'm just saying, unless the computers are constantly updating with some central Imperial Remnant, then the scan they have of his face may not have survived the blast.

I suppose then that data collection works differently a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.....lol

54 minutes ago, Mog said:

They were doing it to demonstrate it to the audience.  It’s one thing for him to say he’ll do anything to save the kid;  it’s quite another for him to take off his helmet, just for the chance to save him.

My elementary age son even gasped when Mando did that.

People have done stupid, risky things for love.  Like some Jedi Knight lopping off Younglings on the off-chance he could find a way to prevent his pregnant wife’s death. ;)

I know why it was done....what I thought was dumb is how they decided to demonstrate the point.....it was all built up for nothing as it quickly escalated into the typical..."something needs to go wrong or characters need to make dumb decisions"....to keep the plot moving....

7 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

Just remember: thermal exhaust port...

Big bad death star but still went boom...

OK, but wasn't that by design?.....explained years after ANH with the release of RO?  Can't wait for that movie, Novel, Comic Book to come out to explain Imperial IT Infrastructure and Protocol!!!

But yeah......it's Star Wars....I know....check your logic at the door and all....:p

3 hours ago, jvmacross said:

I suppose then that data collection works differently a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.....lol

I know why it was done....what I thought was dumb is how they decided to demonstrate the point.....it was all built up for nothing as it quickly escalated into the typical..."something needs to go wrong or characters need to make dumb decisions"....to keep the plot moving....

OK, but wasn't that by design?.....explained years after ANH with the release of RO?  Can't wait for that movie, Novel, Comic Book to come out to explain Imperial IT Infrastructure and Protocol!!!

But yeah......it's Star Wars....I know....check your logic at the door and all....:p

No, it's Disney Wars: check your wallet at the door (after they get ya for a ton of merchandising)

42 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

No, it's Disney Wars: check your wallet at the door (after they get ya for a ton of merchandising)

LOL...I tried to resist this year...and it helps when I mainly just collect Macross.....but they got me with the following 2 new additions to my Hallmark ornament collection....basterds!!!

This was too cute to resist....pull on the snack and Grogu's ears and arms move...:wub:

large.Grogu.jpg.e9fc3f9a63143bc9fe94963c

This one is a mini animatronic...says a bunch of Yoda phrases while blinking and moving his mouth...the material used for Yoda is a rubbery material that helps with the effect...it was useless to resist not buying him :rolleyes:

large.1879458468_YodaAnimatronic.jpg.443