Dark Crystal age of resistance on Netflix

Bolt

This isn't breaking news but it IS something I'm looking forward to.

with a ton of creative talent , and the budget Netflix can bring forth, I am expecting all 10 episodes to satisfy. I just hope the writers they've chosen can pull it off..

I really enjoyed the Dark Crystal, as well. It had a very unique ending which impressed itself on my younger self. I like to rewatch the movie once a year these days.  Hm. Now that I think more on it... given the Gelfling situation at the beginning of the original movie, this could be tough to watch.

Edited by technoblue

• 4 months later...

A local puppet maker (yes people still do that!) was able to work on some of the characters at Henson studios. They look great! 

There sure was a lot of name dropping , as far as the voice acting cast.  I hope everyone mentioned is on.

No surprise Mark Hamill  is in the mix..he’s done so much over the years!

15 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

Hope the story is good and not full of genocide.

Then it wouldn't be The Dark Crystal, would it?  Genocide was a defining trait of the Skeksis, and the whole structure of Thra society was based on it.

I do hope that they don't completely rule out the use of technology to overcome limitations in having the puppets move particularly during scenes that require a range to be crossed or speed.  I think puppetry can be amazing for intimate, close up shots, but once a chase ensues, it becomes very obvious that these are constructs wobbling on top of platforms.  A tiny, little bit of CG could go a long way to blending all those limitations away.

Anyways I'm happy just to get more Dark Crystal, my oldest kid is eager to see.  The wife however can't watch evern old school Star Trek due to uncanny valley issues and thinks this will give the kids nightmares.  I had to get sneaky to show my kids Labyrinth. They enjoyed it, but she wasn't happy that I showed it to them.

I think I was 8 when I saw it.   I remember thinking, aw man, this thing has puppets in it! I'm too old for puppets!

And then they showed the Skeksis.

Funny, how all thoughts of puppets being silly flew right out the door.

Edited by Mazinger

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...