Canopy for Cap america Cats eye kit

Ranger565

Hello, have not been on these forums for a very very long time. Not sure if many are still around that I used to chat with daily. I am looking to work on my old Cap America Cats eye Kit that was made and I realized I have no Canopy's that came with the kit.   Does anyone know if they were ever made?? 

Thank you for any info you can provide. 

Carl

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Oh excellent, thank you! I'll try making extra copies of the canopies for you when I receive the bucks. 

On 8/11/2018 at 12:24 PM, derex3592 said:

I'm in the middle of the same build..I wish I could find someone here who could make canopies for this kit, I have both sets of mine that came with it, but I can't make either one work properly. :(

I'll try making extra copies of the canopies for you when I receive the bucks. 

• 3 weeks later...

Ok! Marc from Neptune Survey has sent me the canopy bucks and they have arrived! I'll fire up the Vacformer on the weekend and get some copies going. Anyone need a set let me know, but be patient.

Thanks again Marc!

~anth

Edited by Goodman Models

28 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

@Goodman Models YES YES YES PLEASE!!! This is GREAT news!!! I'd like two sets please so I have a backup!!! Thank you SO MUCH! PM me payment arrangements! 

Thinking about getting myself a set for my scratchbuild, seeing as it's 1/72 and it would save me some grief.

Edited by pengbuzz

On 3/19/2022 at 12:39 AM, Goodman Models said:

I've run a few test pieces and I'm not quite happy with them. I'm going to up my vac form system. I have a "no crap leaves the shop" policy. Stay tuned!

Haven't been on this thread for a while. I'd be interested as well, though I don't know if I have this version. The one I have was bought from Starship Modeler store several years ago. I still have the bucks though.

Neptune/Moscato version.

Thom

Edited by Thom

Ok here's some test shots done in white styrene 0.02 thou. Not quite ready, but not bad for a first go. I will have to bump up the thickness so that the canopies can be trimmed easily and will mess around with getting the undercut on the pilot's position canopy. More to come! ~ Anth

b7zxL.jpeg

C4oTE.jpeg

DSC05642.JPG

PK1PL.jpeg

11 hours ago, Gabe Q said:

Looking great! I'm gonna need a set! Awesome work so far!

BTW, @Goodman Models I enjoyed listening to you when you were a regular on the podcast.

Hey Gabe, thanks, that was a lot of fun. There was a lot I wanted to do with it but sadly I was too busy to keep it up. On the plus side, I'm getting more model building in now!

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Goodman Models said:

Getting closer to being able to send these out. The thickness is improved but this plastic has a funny sheen to it. I will see if it's buffable or not. Stay posted

IMG_20220406_202013162.jpg

Hi Anthony. You may want to look into some thinner gauge of lexan for the canopies, as what you're using right now seems a bit too thick. The texture you see in the clear parts could have a few causes, but off the top of my head: 

-make sure your buck is not shiny and smooth: contrary to popular opinion, a lightly sanded surface is better when thermoforming.

-ensure that both the plastic sheet and the buck are clean and free of any contaminants

-avoid overheating the lexan sheet; that will cause microbubbles to form and ruin the clarity of the part

-store the plastic sheet in a warm, dry place until it's ready to use. Moisture on the plastic from a humid environment (garage, etc.) can also lead to that lightly gritty look in vac-formed parts.

Thanks John,

I'm definitely not pleased yet with the clarity. I've been using Evergreen (too thin) and experimenting with packaging. I've got some lexan and petg on order. The last ones there have a trim lip on them. I'll try your suggestions on the weekend. Thank you for the input!

Edited by Goodman Models

• 3 weeks later...

This has process has definitely proven challenging for me. I'm getting a bit closer! The first image is the rear cockpit. It's been dipped in future (which I don't often use) and it seemed to help with the clarity. The second pic shows an older test of the forward cockpit and you can see the spotty nature of those pulls. I have some quality plastic on order and I hope that it will yield nice clear pieces. 

16510928028214430632443734056865.jpg

1651093028358578251940163272039.jpg

I plan to send you guys 3 sets each; if you'd like a trimmed set, I'll trim one up for you. I will keep the cost low, I'd like to cover off shipping and a few bucks for materials. How's $15 plus shipping sound (should keep it to around $20)?  I'm waiting on the plastic order at the moment, stay tuned!