Star Trek: Picard (CBS All-Access)

UN Spacy

Is it bad that I didn’t recognize Denise Crosby (Tasha Yar) and was wondering, “Who the hell is that?”

We have to keep First Contact, as they introduced the grey uniforms (looked slightly more formal than the black uniform with colored shoulders, could be dressed down to look like you could do actual work in them, and could vary the look with the vest or unzipped top).

12 hours ago, Dobber said:

I unfortunately am sort of feeling the same way.  The whole “never meet your heroes”  type thing. 

Yeah, Star Trek: Picard seems to prompt that reaction from a lot of fans.

There was a news post on Reddit the other day where Patrick Stewart expressed willingness/interest in doing additional seasons of Picard beyond its third-and-final season and almost all of the nearly one-thousand replies were folks hoping it would not come to pass. 

IMO, it's rather amusing and illustrative that the top streaming series on Paramount+ in 2022 was Halo rather than any of the five NuTrek shows that released new seasons in 2022.  It narrowly edged out 1883 and Yellowstone to seize the top spot.  After reviewing a number of viewership metrics trackers, NuTrek seems to struggle to chart at all.  The only one of the NuTrek titles to break into the top 10 most-watched shows on Paramount+ in 2022 was Discovery season four, and only because it aired over the New Year's break.  Picard peaked at 12th.  It's also still the second-worst rated Star Trek series on review aggregators (ahead of only Discovery) and third-worst title in the franchise overall.

8 hours ago, sh9000 said:

Huh... what a conundrum.

Do I mock this obviously half-arsed PV for the unasked-for TNG cast reunion Picard was never supposed to become?

Or do I praise the Paramount marketing team for putting the absolute minimum amount of effort into trying to polish this already-cancelled turd propping up the bottom of Star Trek's franchise page on Rotten Tomatoes?

Worf is the character with the most appearances of any character in all of Star Trek (272 and counting!) and they promote his return with that?  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna go and just say it, this season 3 opener was more Star Trek than the previous 2 seasons combined. The tempo was nice, the visuals were enjoyable, and the music, while Season 1 and 2 didn't have horrible music, it was just certainly forgettable. They seemed to of finally found something that works by not fixing what wasn't broken and going back to what made even the films so much fun orchestra wise. I'm not 100% sure if I'm right on this, but the uniforms this season seem to look better than season 2 and of course a hell of a lot better than season 1. 
I gotta tell you, if they can keep up this pace for the entire season then I'm gonna have a lot of fun watching it compared to season 1 or 2. 

If episode 1 of season 3 was the first episode of this series I would be happy. It does feel like reunion to go on a grand adventure after years apart. Like a true sequel to the Next Generation movies. Unfortunately, it is following 1 mediocre and 1 bad season. It feels like a course correction. After the first 2 seasons and the movies I keep thinking the last episode of their original TV series was the perfect ending. We didn't need more adventures of the Enterprise D. Especially action-packed adventures. Small spoiler the episode opens with Doctor Crusher in a phaser fight and she's fighting like veteran. Using her wits and skill with a phaser. Wasn't she just the doctor? As a member of Star Fleet, she would know how to use a phaser but not with the same training as more combat leaning character. It has been decades so maybe things have changed. I just look at this opening scene and think, why do they have to make everyone an action hero. They did this with Picard in the movies too. As a kid I may have desired more action while watching STNG. As an adult I really appreciate the problem-solving characters who used their brains and diplomacy to solve problems. 

I'll keep my 👍 or 👎 till this is over.

18 minutes ago, Roy Focker said:

Small spoiler the episode opens with Doctor Crusher in a phaser fight and she's fighting like veteran. Using her wits and skill with a phaser. Wasn't she just the doctor? 

Dr. Crusher can handle phaser. She's fought the Borg, 3 times, a crazy scientist who can stop his vital functions on a whim, Cardassians, the Son'a, oh and a parasitic anaphasic lifeform from a candle.

Capt. Shaw reminds me of, as Ensign Mariner would say, a Capt. Jellico-type of commander. Might/might not be a micro-manager but someone with a rod shoved up his ass.

17 hours ago, Hikuro said:

They seemed to of finally found something that works by not fixing what wasn't broken and going back to what made even the films so much fun orchestra wise. 

It's because Alex Kurtzman isn't in charge this season.  Someone who actually LIKES and has made previous Trek is on this season.  Only problem is it's still saddled with the franchise debasement of the previous seasons.

10 minutes ago, Roy Focker said:

It does feel like reunion to go on a grand adventure after years apart.

The painful irony there being that that's exactly what Star Trek: Picard was never supposed to become.

The showrunners explicitly promised that Star Trek: Picard wasn't gonna be a TNG cast reunion.  They were going to focus on the original characters.  Funny how that worked out...

Like a true sequel to the Next Generation movies. Unfortunately, it is following 1 mediocre and 1 bad season. It feels like a course correction. After the first 2 seasons and the movies I keep thinking the last episode of their original TV series was the perfect ending. We didn't need more adventures of the Enterprise D. Especially action-packed adventures.

Agreed... "All Good Things" wasn't the best final episode we've ever had, but it was a satisfying and logical conclusion to the series that really didn't NEED a follow-up.

Picard only exists in the first place because Star Trek: Discovery's first season was so poorly received.  It was meant to be a comparatively "safe" show driven by the star power of a franchise veteran to "win back the crowd".  I guess we ended up with Jean-Luc Picard because they killed Kirk off in Generations and they felt Patrick Stewart would be more of a draw than, say, Avery Brooks or Kate Mulgrew.

Small spoiler the episode opens with Doctor Crusher in a phaser fight and she's fighting like veteran. Using her wits and skill with a phaser. Wasn't she just the doctor? As a member of Star Fleet, she would know how to use a phaser but not with the same training as more combat leaning character.

In all fairness, that at least can be justified fairly easily.

Not only was Dr. Crusher the CMO on Starfleet's most-attacked ship for nearly 15 years (it'd be 16 but for the year Pulaski took over)... ample justification for being handy with a phaser... she's had special forces training in-series in the TNG two-parter "Chain of Command".  (The botched raid where Picard gets tortured.)

It has been decades so maybe things have changed. I just look at this opening scene and think, why do they have to make everyone an action hero. They did this with Picard in the movies too. As a kid I may have desired more action while watching STNG. As an adult I really appreciate the problem-solving characters who used their brains and diplomacy to solve problems. 

Because the showrunners wish they were working on Star Wars.

Seto, that sounds alot like why JJ jumped to SW7 after STID: The Merchandising alone...

and this comes to mind, especially with JJ's open desires for $$$ above story: Are all the people involved in the current problems with the ST IP (and SW7~9 by extension) younger Boomers, Gen-Xers or Millennials?

Edited by TehPW
Just pondering the 'Why' Star Trek is so sh*t upon as a IP by TPTB...?

2 hours ago, TehPW said:

Are all the people involved in the current problems with the ST IP (and SW7~9 by extension) younger Boomers, Gen-Xers or Millennials?

JJ: 1966
Kurtzman: 1973
Goldsman: 1960

Rod Roddenberry (Gene's & Majel's son): 1970
Terry Matalas (S3 sole showrunner): 1974

The birthdays for the other series showrunners (Strange New Worlds, Lower Decks, Discovery) are not listed.

2 hours ago, TehPW said:

Seto, that sounds alot like why JJ jumped to SW7 after STID: The Merchandising alone...

It's the main problem with Star Trek these days... the people in charge seem to want to make Star Trek into an action series.  Not a sci-fi series with the occasional action scene or action elements, but just a bog-standard sci-fi action series like Star Wars or Battlestar Galactica.

Not that this is necessarily entirely on the new guys either.  There was the increased emphasis on action that began with the last few seasons of Deep Space Nine thanks to its war arc, with Voyager's last few seasons because the writers were burned out on Star Trek and the Borg made a convenient recurring threat that needed no character development by nature, and with the entirety of Star Trek: Enterprise prior to its fourth and final season as it attempted to course-correct away from Scott Bakula getting beat up by aliens every fortnight.  

2 hours ago, TehPW said:

and this comes to mind, especially with JJ's open desires for $$$ above story: Are all the people involved in the current problems with the ST IP (and SW7~9 by extension) younger Boomers, Gen-Xers or Millennials?

Hmm...

Star Trek '09:

• Abrams: 1966
  • Lindelof: 1973
  • Orci: 1973
  • Kurtzman: 1973

Into Darkness

• Burk: 1968

Beyond

• Pegg: 1970
  • Jung: ?
  • Chernov: 1952
  • Ellison: 1983
  • Lin: 1971

So basically everyone except producers Jeffrey Chernov and David Ellison (Star Trek: Beyond) is a Gen X-er.  Doug Jung's bio doesn't list a birth year.

The same holds true for almost all of the producers and writers who have published biographical information from Star Trek: Discovery.  There are a couple highly placed baby boomers like Akiva Goldsman, but almost all of them seem to have been born between 1969 and 1973, making them solidly Gen X.  Kind of inevitable, really, given that almost all baby boomers are over 60 now.