Star Trek: Picard (CBS All-Access)

UN Spacy

20 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Q: "Well, don't blame ME; I certainly didn't give him Irumdic Syndrome".

Q's real lesson apparently being "give your first edible a bit of time to kick in before you decide to have another, or you're in for a bad trip".

I could absolutely believe Star Trek: Picard is actually a bad trip Jean-Luc is having after the replicator accidentally served him a steak with "non-regulation" mushrooms...

Seriously though, what a mess.  I thought the Borg couldn't possibly suffer more "badass decay" than they had by the end of Voyager, when Janeway and Janeway all but wiped out the Collective.  Now Starfleet is just making the Borg clinically depressed by giving them Dr. Jurati.

4 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Q's real lesson apparently being "give your first edible a bit of time to kick in before you decide to have another, or you're in for a bad trip".

I could absolutely believe Star Trek: Picard is actually a bad trip Jean-Luc is having after the replicator accidentally served him a steak with "non-regulation" mushrooms...

Seriously though, what a mess.  I thought the Borg couldn't possibly suffer more "badass decay" than they had by the end of Voyager, when Janeway and Janeway all but wiped out the Collective.  Now Starfleet is just making the Borg clinically depressed by giving them Dr. Jurati.

Yeah... it would have been better if they just resurrected Hugh as the Borg King or something.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, hutch said:

All those people aged way better than I would have expected. 

They've had to keep up appearances; they've stayed active on the convention circuit for decades.  

Science-fiction fandom is the gift that keeps on giving.

maxresdefault.jpg

Kelly McGillis, on the other hand, never made a sci-fi film. 😉

Kelly is a grandma that looks like a grandma. That’s how life ACTUALLY works.  

I think Frakes is the one who surprised me most.  That guy struggled with his weight throughout the series when he was younger.  That’s not usually a good sign for when you get older. 

On 7/23/2022 at 5:52 PM, sh9000 said:

Well, I would be amazed that this out-of-control landfill fire of a series succeeded in limping to a third and final season if it weren't for the fact that the sunk costs fallacy is about all that's currently keeping the lights on at Paramount+ and the Star Trek franchise as a whole.

In a way, it's oddly appropriate that Picard is going to finish its mercifully brief time as the very thing its showrunners swore it would never become: a TNG cast reunion.  While it is nice to know that the writers didn't murder Geordi offscreen the way they'd initially appeared to after establishing that he was assigned to Utopia Planetia when it was destroyed, I can't say I'm at all looking forward to seeing the entire TNG cast as depressed and miserable senior citizens.  (Five'll get you twenty Worf's found a way to get discommended and exiled from the Klingon Empire at least two or three more times in the intervening years.)

5 hours ago, tekering said:

They've had to keep up appearances; they've stayed active on the convention circuit for decades.  

Science-fiction fandom is the gift that keeps on giving.

maxresdefault.jpg

Kelly McGillis, on the other hand, never made a sci-fi film. 😉

It would be hilarious to see her and Tom having a romantic scene in the new film. He looks like he aged 15 years as she added on 40.

3 hours ago, Thom said:

And I didn't know until now, since it was made canon in Picard S2, but Uhura made Captain, and commanded the USS Leondegrance, a Lancelot class Starship.

IMO, the Star Trek relaunch novelverse's take was better.

The writers of that shared universe had Uhura join Starfleet Intelligence after the Enterprise A was decommissioned and eventually be promoted to Admiral and leadership of the agency.

(Not that the relaunch novelverse was great for every character... Jean-Luc Picard got a Kirk-esque punishment of being a Forever Captain for his unwitting peripheral involvement in the removal-by-assassination of a Federation president by Section 31.)

15 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

IMO, the Star Trek relaunch novelverse's take was better.

The writers of that shared universe had Uhura join Starfleet Intelligence after the Enterprise A was decommissioned and eventually be promoted to Admiral and leadership of the agency.

(Not that the relaunch novelverse was great for every character... Jean-Luc Picard got a Kirk-esque punishment of being a Forever Captain for his unwitting peripheral involvement in the removal-by-assassination of a Federation president by Section 31.)

My take: Picard wakes up from the Picard series, and Dr. Crusher informs him that it was all the side-effect of a Romulan Ale Hangover from the wedding reception for Riker and Troi. :D

As was said a while ago by someone in this thread, IIRC, that the best way to “save” this series is to have the Next Gen cast gathered around Jean-Luc, who is delirious in his death bed, and have the events of the past 2 seasons maybe be an amalgamation of some truth and fantasy, hence Rafi and Seven’s presence…or just complete fantasy.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

3 hours ago, Dobber said:

As was said a while ago by someone in this thread, IIRC, that the best way to “save” this series is to have the Next Gen cast gathered around Jean-Luc, who is delirious in his death bed, and have the events of the past 2 seasons maybe be an amalgamation of some truth and fantasy, hence Rafi and Seven’s presence…or just complete fantasy.

Chris

They could also go the Enterprise route and accidentally frame the entire show as a holodeck simulation.

3 hours ago, Dobber said:

Chris

Maybe that's how that'll end... Raffi is one of those soul eating monsters Janeway maybe-hallucinated in the Delta Quadrant and it's all just a hallucination meant to make Picard give up on life.

Can I just say.....Micheal Dorn looks more BADASS than ever with that white hair and beard!!! Worf baby! They better NOT take a steaming sh*t on Worf's character. Although it wouldn't suprise me at this point. I'll wait until the whole show is OVER and then on some cold winter weekend, I'll watch the whole thing half drunk.

On 8/4/2022 at 12:14 AM, tekering said:

Picard: Season 3.  Nobody under 50 in the cast, nobody under 50 in the audience. 😑

Nobody with an IQ above 50 though.  Everybody else knows none of this trash is actually Star Trek.

1 hour ago, Thom said:

And even if you don't, you can ignore it.

I tried ignoring itt once...

Spoiler

And wouldn't you know, Cousin Itt didn't like being ignored, so he chased me all over downtown!! I never ran so fast in my life! Who'd have thought some hairy thing that looks like an overgrown rag mop could move so fast! I swear, I ran down an entire city block, and when I tried to stop to catch my breath, there he was!!! I tried to run again, but he tripped me and I ended up going flat on my face into the pavement! I shuddered as he loomed over me, his shadow blocking out the sunlight. And as he closed in, I closed my eyes and just waited for the end to come...

One moment passed...then another...then yet another... it seemed like an eternity. When i could stand it no more, I mustered up all my courage to open one of my eyes just a tiny bit...

AN THERE HE WAS, STILL LOOMING OVER ME.

And then, in an unmistakable voice, he said to me:

"Byu dih dih dyi duh!!!!"

And just like that, he was gone.

To this very day, I will never forget  my unfortunate run-in with Cousin Itt.

Nor shall I ever ignore him again, I promise!!!

felax-silla.png.d906db22b1dca012295e08e4327c753c.png

Edited by pengbuzz

20 hours ago, derex3592 said:

Can I just say.....Micheal Dorn looks more BADASS than ever with that white hair and beard!!! Worf baby! They better NOT take a steaming sh*t on Worf's character. Although it wouldn't suprise me at this point. I'll wait until the whole show is OVER and then on some cold winter weekend, I'll watch the whole thing half drunk.

Worf definitely seems to have won the "Aging gracefully" contest.

That said, count on Picard's final season taking a massive crap on the returning TNG characters.  Because Patrick Stewart felt the only way to make his sociopolitical point was for his character to have spent the time between Nemesis and Picard as a sad, broken old man living an empty life in his miserable sinecure before being called back into action for one final adventure, the writers seem to think that has to apply to EVERYONE.  The justifications started out flimsy, out-of-character, and positively reeking of an entitled senior citizen's self-centered mindset and deteriorated into the comical almost right away.  

(Really, the only one who was miserable with good cause was Dr. Maddox.  His life's work was invalidated and banned by Starfleet's ban on artificial life form research, forcing him to either give up what he'd devoted his life to or become a renegade.)

3 hours ago, Mommar said:

Nobody with an IQ above 50 though.  Everybody else knows none of this trash is actually Star Trek.

Nah, there are still sane Trekkies watching NuTrek out of a sort of bile fascination... some just want to see how this train wreck meets its long overdue end.

Not a lot of folks defending it, outside of the usual Facebook white knights accusing the show's critics of various -ism's.

3 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Unless season 3 is amazing (doubtful) Picard will dethrone Voyager as the worst Trek series ever. 

It already has.  NuTrek as a whole was propping up the bottom of the franchise's scores on review agregators back during season two.

Season 3 bringing back the entire TNG cast is a hilariously transparent "Hail Mary" attempt to get fans to actually watch them finish pinching this especially odious loaf.  It isn't even the first such major retooling aimed at getting fans to actually watch.

The only reason NuTrek lasted more than one season for ANY show was that these were direct-to-streaming.  If they'd been on broadcast or cable, they'd have been lucky to last even one season.

2 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Unfortunately, it's "real Trek" and canon, whether you and I like it or not.

Until someone at ViacomCBS decides to "multiverse" it because the fans don't like it and it doesn't move merchandise.

They've already done it once before, to the Kelvin timeline movies, and Discovery from season 3 on is set up to allow them to do the same at a moment's notice.

It would not be the first time a Trek title was kicked out of the canon... (For the record, it would be the third, preceded by TAS and Final Frontier.)

Actually, they don't need to bring in the TNG cast to have people who hate it, or long for the days of TNG, to watch it. They'll watch it anyway if only to see if there are more reason for which to hate it. 

Point of fact, most posters here don't like this show, but we are on 42 page...:p

Edited by Thom

20 minutes ago, Thom said:

Actually, they don't need to bring in the TNG cast to have people who hate it, or long for the days of TNG, to watch it. They'll watch it anyway if only to see if there are more reason for which to hate it. 

Point of fact, most posters here don't like this show, but we are on 42 page...:p

Some billboards, index cards and stickers hate it along with those posters :p

The comic books are still on the fence about it though. :D

Edited by pengbuzz

Like I said...

Quite a few Trekkies will watch it to the end simply because they want to see how this trainwreck ends... and to witness its ending in the hopes that it stays dead.

Of course, a fair few will resort to what we'll call "Orion business practices" to watch this much-loathed series end rather than give ViacomCBS the satisfaction.  I know I sure as hell won't be giving ViacomCBS a dime for NuTrek.  

10 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Like I said...

Quite a few Trekkies will watch it to the end simply because they want to see how this trainwreck ends... and to witness its ending in the hopes that it stays dead.

Of course, a fair few will resort to what we'll call "Orion business practices" to watch this much-loathed series end rather than give ViacomCBS the satisfaction.  I know I sure as hell won't be giving ViacomCBS a dime for NuTrek.  

"Orion business practices"? Do you mean the Orions in Star Trek, or the movie production company that made Robocop?